Author Topic: How does one keep from giving up?  (Read 21915 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: How does one keep from giving up?
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2013, 05:33:59 PM »
VV's mother died, then VV herself got really sick for a rather long time, and she does have a day job, you know, writing books, with deadlines and meetings and traveling and stuff. So she got really far behind with repeated shitstorms and to be honest, saving City is less important than having a life (and mourning the loss of someone else's).
yeah.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2013, 05:42:28 PM »
Also, paying bills is super awesome in that they don't shut down/take away whatever you're paying for. That's also really important.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2013, 08:57:37 PM »
VV's mother died, then VV herself got really sick for a rather long time, and she does have a day job, you know, writing books, with deadlines and meetings and traveling and stuff. So she got really far behind with repeated shitstorms and to be honest, saving City is less important than having a life (and mourning the loss of someone else's).
I know, it's been rather horrible for her.  It's because of all that I unfortunately suspect she won't be returning, so our future efforts will need to account for that, I'm afraid.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2013, 09:54:25 PM »
I know, it's been rather horrible for her.  It's because of all that I unfortunately suspect she won't be returning, so our future efforts will need to account for that, I'm afraid.
Either way, I'll always remember her for her efforts here. If there is ever thing about who's who of this effort her name will be high on the list in my book.

FenrirEX

• Minion
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2013, 04:35:26 PM »
Hey, I just want to thank everyone that responded and tried to cheer me up.  I know I might have been a little bit mopey, but I kind of have a lot of stuff going on in my life that's had me down, and not dealing with CoH wasn't helping.  I've since come to terms that it's not coming back like it was, period.  If it does come back, it'll be different, and I don't like change very often.  However, it does feel good that other people are out there going through some of the same stuff, so at least I don't feel as bad.

As for what I did before I started playing in 2005 that made me happy?  ...not a whole lot.  I had video games that I played, but the content eventually ran out.  The closest I've had to the need to play CoH has been STO, and while I like it, it's not the same.  The fact of the matter is, losing myself for a while in CoH was what helped me tune out the depression for a while.

Part of what sucked about the closure is that it happened the DAY after I moved in with my SO.  Despite the fact I'm coming up on 30, I"m kind of behind on stuff in life, and only just moved out from living with my parents.  I'd had a rough summer semester before it too, which was why I was only moving in on that Thurday, and why I hadn't really played CoH more than a little since about early June.  And then right as I was about to get serious with my favorite game again...they announce they were closing it.  Making any time left seem pointless.  Why work on leveling characters up when I might never get to play them again?  Or at the very least, why make progress when I'd just have to  re-back them up with Sentinel+, once I started doing that to keep my spirits up.  And that's what I did from then until this breakdown: I kept my spirits up, by force if necessary.  I refused to believe we couldn't have CoH back as we had it, as good as ever.  Even in spite of all the negative news and such.

But no one can hold that much stress and not break.  And so I did.  And so you all saw.  And I just...it's hard.  Having more free time from switching schools, being without a job for a while, having dreams that CoH was back at least once a week...it's made it no easier to go without that game.  So, ultimately, I just needed an outlet, so I joined the forums here.  I'd been following since day 1 of the closure announcement, and the Titan Network has been the biggest hope throughout.  But when news started to slow to a trickle, the fight to stay afloat emotionally got rough, and I finally got pulled under...and then you all saw the rest, I think.  I just want to thank everyone that's tried to help cheer me up.  This has been really hard (and hearing about Ascendant made it no easier, may he rest in peace), so to have people come and try to cheer me up, and to at least say they're trying to bring back similar costumes to what CoH had in the Project Z games makes me feel better.  I want to believe in the Project Z games, but it's hard to imagine a game with a better "equipment" system than CoH did.

But in spite of all that.  Thank you all.

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2013, 10:17:32 PM »
Had a nice little Coh moment at work today:  a customer, who knew I was a big Coher, had uncovered a stack of the Dark Horse Comics that you used to get as part of your sub.  She was a former player, and the comics were unopened in their original mailing sleeves.  She used to play a lot of Redside, but she knew I would appreciate them, and handed 'em over.  Probably part of an alignment shifting quest arc...
Nevertheless, it's good to be a part of the Coh community:)

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2013, 10:36:38 PM »
I want to believe in the Project Z games, but it's hard to imagine a game with a better "equipment" system than CoH did.

"Heroes and Villains" is taking a very simple and very obvious approach to solving that "problem" :P
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2013, 11:03:39 PM »
"Heroes and Villains" is taking a very simple and very obvious approach to solving that "problem" :P

I'm still not sure that diluting the efforts to have a spiritual replacement for CoH is the best thing to do at this stage.

Surely there had to be enough common ground to pool all the considerable talents that were available to make a viable new game?

In saying that I will certainly keep an open mind on all 3 projects and decide on their respective merits.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2013, 11:15:27 PM »
I'm still not sure that diluting the efforts to have a spiritual replacement for CoH is the best thing to do at this stage.

Surely there had to be enough common ground to pool all the considerable talents that were available to make a viable new game?

In saying that I will certainly keep an open mind on all 3 projects and decide on their respective merits.
You would then guarantee absolute failure, a design-by bureaucracy due to the sheer number of people involved.

There is considerable talent, too much talent in fact to produce a single game. As it is, one of the projects is suffering from too-many-people syndrome, and is having to grow its management in order to remain viable. So to make it work, you would in effect have to get rid of most of the talent, to keep it viable for development. This means wasted talent.

That we have three projects is because we have so many talented people here. It's not because we just one day went "Oh, I want to make a game." Each one has a very different end-goal, even if we all came from the same origin, our love of CoH.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2013, 11:41:56 PM »
All this talk of "Plan Z"?  I'm not really interested, partially because, well, I'm a furry.  And the first thought I'm sure you all have (after any inappropriate jokes, so let's just skip those) is "wait, why would that make you uninterested in the Plan Z options?"  And the answer's simple:  The costume options aren't gonna be there.  I was able to make a lot of anthro characters in CoH, and that was one of the REALLY big appeals for me.  Any of the Plan Z options won't really care about a small section like me, they'll focus on the big interests.  Or that's how I feel.

On Protector, I had a little, 4-foot-tall human/cat hybrid named No No Bad Kitty (claws/regen scrapper), who enthusiastically threw herself into fights during team missions, and seemed to become regarded as a mascot of sorts by the teams she was on. (There was one time when she got killed/defeated during a fight, and a teammate yelled, "KITTY! You'll pay for that, you FIEND!") I was very fond of her, too, but my efforts to remake her in CO came out looking too mean to be her. I'd greatly like to have her back, and, if CoH's successor(s) won't allow me to resurrect her,...let's just say that I shall be QUITE cross.

Plus, I recently came up with the idea of a magic-using canine purely for the Road-Runner-style Latin name: canis arcanis. I'd jolly well BETTER get to create him, too! So don't think that you're alone in wanting your critter-flavored toons back.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:52:37 AM by Super Firebug »
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Golden Girl

• Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2013, 11:50:31 PM »
On Protector, I had a little, 4-foot-tall human/cat hybrid named No No Bad Kitty (claws/regen scrapper), who enthusiastically threw herself into fights during team missions, and seemed to become regarded as a mascot of sorts by the teams she was on. (There was one time when she got killed/defeated during a fight, and a teammate yelled, "KITTY! You'll pay for that, you FIEND!") I was very fond of her, too, but my efforts to remake her in CO came out looking too mean to be her. I'd greatly like to have her back, and, if CoH's successor(s) won't allow me to resurrect her,...let's just say that I shall be QUITE cross.

Cat ears and tail have been included on the list of core costume parts that are currently being made ;)
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2013, 12:20:16 AM »
Cat ears and tail have been included on the list of core costume parts that are currently being made ;)

If you do the body fur, too, I hope you find a way to make it look better than CoH's did. Since the fur didn't extend to where the costume parts met, the bare skin made her look like she had the mange at her elbows, knees and waist. :/
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 12:47:12 AM by Super Firebug »

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2013, 12:38:17 AM »
If you do the body fur, too, I hope you find a way to make it look better than CoH's did, Since the fur didn't extend to where the costume parts met, the bare skin made her look like she had the mange at her elbows, knees and waist. :/

The mice would like to request a nice set of ears and tail.  And, of course, their standard black with red highlighted body armour.   ;)

No Surrender!

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2013, 12:44:28 AM »
The mice would like to request a nice set of ears and tail.

There'll be mice? Kitty'll be SO looking forward to welcoming them!

And, of course, their standard black with red highlighted body armour.   ;)

:blink: "Standard", Gracie?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2013, 01:46:08 AM »
Yeah, I think a "spiritual successor" to City of Heroes that doesn't include animal-inspired costume pieces probably wasn't made by someone who played City of Heroes any more than casually. I'm not a furry, and I enjoyed playing around with those.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2013, 02:36:23 AM »
So, ultimately, I just needed an outlet, so I joined the forums here.

That's what we're here for, friend. We're here for each other. To seek and provide the company of people who feel the same way as we do. I can't say we're perfect, but I can honestly say we're like a family here. Some laughs, some deep discussion, some arguments. It's really good to know that there's a group of people out there who you don't have to explain it to, 'cause they're feeling it too. I know it's helped me a lot.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2013, 02:47:43 AM »
The mice would like to request a nice set of ears and tail.  And, of course, their standard black with red highlighted body armour.   ;)

Great, now you've got me thinking that mice all run around in HALO suits and the nests we know about are just training facilities.

... oh even better, NOW you've got me thinking that there's a nest of blue-armored mice in our basement and a nest of red-armored mice in our shed and they're at war with each other for some reason that nobody told them. And they have plasma rifles!!! Tiny, adorable little plasma rifles! :o

Golden Girl

• Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2013, 02:53:00 AM »
Yeah, I think a "spiritual successor" to City of Heroes that doesn't include animal-inspired costume pieces probably wasn't made by someone who played City of Heroes any more than casually. I'm not a furry, and I enjoyed playing around with those.

Animal parts also have the huge advantage of being pretty much uncopyrightable, unlike, say, Arachnos or Vanguard armor styles - although players will still seem armor types that are vaguely inspired by those in "Heroes and Villains", as one of our main goals is to make the community's transition to their new home as smooth as possible, not just in the feel of the gameplay, but also in the look and backstories of their characters - and as CoH based its setting quite heavily on classic comic book themes, providing a similar feel to the setting won't be too difficult.

WolfSoul

• Lieutenant
    • Writing portfolio
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2013, 05:51:59 AM »
The COH community is *STILL* the best internet community ever! :)

WolfSoul

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2013, 06:54:14 AM »
The COH community is *STILL* the best internet community ever! :)

WolfSoul

You're welcome. :)