Author Topic: Sudden realization.  (Read 2422 times)

ZoeyLovecraft90

• Lieutenant
Sudden realization.
« on: April 08, 2014, 03:28:30 AM »
So I've been a part of a small but great teamspeak community since about 2 months before the shutdown. I met these people on a game called Team Fortress 2 and we hit it off pretty well and still talk to eachother everyday. They were with me during the final moments of the shutdown feeling my pain and listening to my pathetic crying as most of them had lost their game too in SWG and others as well.
The next year was spent playing Tf2 with them and having fun. We started a competitive team and lost terribly.. All during that year and this year I've frequently brought up to them how much I miss City of Heroes and how nothing is doing it for me anymore. Over time they've helped by exploring other MMOs with me as I mentioned in my last post. All that we found was misery and endless grind. So I looked to upcoming MMOs like Wildstar and Eso to fill my mental hole. I brought this up to them and they seemed exhausted at the idea of following me around ANOTHER MMO for a week to see if I finally found something I like.
Then today my friend got fed up with me and asked
"Why did you like City of Heroes? What about that game made it so good to you?"
I though and answered the usual things we all have spammed to people since the shutdown.
"Oh well great community. Very little grind. Great character builder yadda yadda yadda.
My friends then asked
"And have you found any of those thing in the countless MMos we've played?"
"No"
It hit me... I didn't love City of Heroes because it was an MMO. That had NOTHING to do with it.
My long list of reasons I liked that game never once mentioned it being an MMO..
I realized that I absolutely despise the entire MMO genre.
So much time wasted when the better path of right there in front of me.
My friends new they were finally getting through to me.
"You like creating"
"You like flying"
"You like beating bosses"
"You like teamwork"
"You like strategy"
I thought of countless games that I know about and own that have these things.
I installed some of them.
Played a while and felt something I haven't felt since COH.
Path of Exile, Torchlight 2, Civilization 5, Terraria.
Games and communities I've neglected for a terrible amount of time all due to some idiotic bias I had.
Steam also helps a great deal as that is where I met my best internet friends.

So if anyone else is suffering from the same problem still I encourage you to download steam and try some other genres of games. Just because it may not be Massively Multiplayer doesn't mean it doesn't have a strong community.
I feel WAY better. I'm running a Path of Exile group full of people who love what they do.
I'm building a world in Terraria with my friends brick by brick.
I'm helping creating mods in Torchlight 2 now.
It's great. problem solved..
GOODBYE MMOs!
My withdrawals are gone. But my memories aren't :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 03:38:47 AM by ZoeyLovecraft90 »

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
Re: Sudden realization.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 04:00:21 AM »
If you know of a non-MMO where you can create a super hero with a character creator as comprehensive and flexible as COH... and then play that character in a world battling crooks and villains with open and undirected play, I'd love to know what it is!
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

ZoeyLovecraft90

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 10:23:20 PM »
If you know of a non-MMO where you can create a super hero with a character creator as comprehensive and flexible as COH... and then play that character in a world battling crooks and villains with open and undirected play, I'd love to know what it is!

Well see you're limiting it to pretty much what only ONE game has ever offered.
It took me a long time to get through that.
There are plenty of flexible games out there(NON MMO)
The MMO genre has destroyed itself.
It took a lot to break free of the belief that I had to look to MMOs to find what I had in COH.
What I had in COH was freedom, friends, good company (Minus the creepy RPers in Pocket D) and power.
While it's possible to find those things in other MMOs. The bits and pieces of those things I DID find were... Underwhelming.
It was the same drink same glass type thing.
Some things aren't meant to be repeated. And if they are they can be disappointing the 500th time around.
Now, in the games i've been exploring I have those things still but with more freedom, more friends, great company, Multiple forms of higher power, and a satisfying shortage of Rpers from Pocket D.
lol I ramble :o
I guess the point is being open minded is hard but worth it.

Ohioknight

• Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 10:51:52 PM »
Well see you're limiting it to pretty much what only ONE game has ever offered.
It took me a long time to get through that.
There are plenty of flexible games out there(NON MMO)

Yeah, but I'm a superhero fan (there are a few of us -- look at recent box office).  Awesome games in medieval motif or gangster or war genres do NOTHING!  (the Iron Man adaptation for GTA IV looks pretty awesome, but still somewhat off point).

ZoeyLovecraft90

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 11:08:38 PM »
Well... There's Champions and DC Universe and Marvel Heroes
I'd sooner recommend Marvel Heroes.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 11:14:14 PM »
Yeah, but I'm a superhero fan (there are a few of us -- look at recent box office).  Awesome games in medieval motif or gangster or war genres do NOTHING!  (the Iron Man adaptation for GTA IV looks pretty awesome, but still somewhat off point).
That is one of the reasons that I didn't really get into The Secret World. I do have an account there. Just haven't played it in a while. I also got burned out on most fantasy genre games. Although, I do play D&D (PnP) with a few friends. Also, I still occasionally break out Skyrim and play it.

I like my Superheroes. It's just the Superhero games that are available don't really do it for me. So, I spend my time watching Marvel (and DC) movies and playing games like Galactic Civilization II and STO. Mostly Galactic Civilization II.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 02:14:49 AM »
Well... There's Champions and DC Universe and Marvel Heroes
I'd sooner recommend Marvel Heroes.
Unfortunately for me one of the greatest appeals of CoH was creating characters. Marvel Heroes doesn't have anything like that and Champions Online had a setting that's more of a parody and/or Saturday morning cartoon version of superheroes. DCUO i looked at, but was put off by the ToS that declared that they acquire full and sole ownership of any IP you bring into DCUO. Technically Terms of Service that presume to unilaterally transfer copyrights like that tend to be found unenforceable, but to fight it requires deep pockets.

A close second was the interaction with the other players. There aren't many games out there right now that have both.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Ohioknight

• Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 03:03:20 AM »
Unfortunately for me one of the greatest appeals of CoH was creating characters. Marvel Heroes doesn't have anything like that and Champions Online had a setting that's more of a parody and/or Saturday morning cartoon version of superheroes.

Right with you there.  Champions has fair flexibility in character development, but the resulting characters all look like they suffer genetic abnormalities and run like spasming monkeys.  DCUO just doesn't have the character design flexibility and uses a control system poorly translated from console standards.  Marvel, as you say, requires that you play an existing Marvel character. 

There is simply nothing, either single player or MMO that is adequately an alternative COX (closest so far was the last publicly playable "pre-alpha" from Valience Online -- but that was mostly in the way of a promising hint of things to come)

So I just don't game

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 04:47:57 AM »
I haven't played all those games, but I can vouch for Torchlight 2 being a really good game and a lot of fun. I loved the original Torchlight SO freaking much, and the sequel is better in every way. Plus Runic really knows how to make games that are open to creative modding. I can't wait to see what they do next.

Glad to see you've found something you enjoy! That's great :D