Author Topic: Status Update (October 2)  (Read 98545 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Status Update (October 2)
« Reply #320 on: October 04, 2012, 01:19:10 AM »
not to mention the damage of being known as the guy/gal that may have or may have not broken a NDA contract in the respective job field.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #321 on: October 04, 2012, 01:23:35 AM »
 We dont even know if they actually want to sell the IP or are even being reasonable in the asking price.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #322 on: October 04, 2012, 01:24:37 AM »
I wouldn't risk it unless it was crystal clear, and perhaps not even then. Even if you're correct that the info you divulge isn't covered, if there's even a question about it you could get sued. And even if you win the suit, the attorneys' fees and the cloud over your head could be very damaging to your finances and career.

Absolutely.  Specifically, I meant questions like "who was your contact within the company" or "what's your boss' name and how can I contact him".  Posting that publicly will get you fired, but privately you can probably get away with that.

Blackbird71

• Minion
« Reply #323 on: October 04, 2012, 01:47:25 AM »
Pardon me for previously being silent in the shadows (Stalker by nature, I suppose), but it seems to me that with regards to NCSoft's announcement, the very first thing that needs to be done is that we go en masse to every game and news site that is proclaiming this message as the end.  We need to find each one of these articles, and flood the comments with our response.  If we are going to maintain the momentum and public will necessary to effect any change, we need to immediately make it abundantly clear that this is far from over.  The media has begun sounding a death knell; we need to make everyone understand that it is not ours, or those of lesser resolve will give up thinking that they have already lost, and we will lose the support we need to make a voice loud enough to be heard.

Stormsurge

• Minion
« Reply #324 on: October 04, 2012, 01:50:15 AM »
Typical. NCSoft is trying to save face with the public with this announcement, with the intention of going on with their plans. No potential buyers? Wasn't there a person on these forums who tried to contact NCSoft with the intention of buying?

Let's face it... this is the company's MO. It doesn't matter what they say because they are not getting another dime out of me. They better hope the GW2 community doesn't lose interest in it because if people start leaving, as far as I'm concerned NCSoft is done.

Terlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #325 on: October 04, 2012, 02:09:22 AM »
Hello, everyone.

First, I want to say thank you to TonyV and all the wonderful volunteers for the great effort they have been putting in.

I've been following much of the activity here with interest. I remain hopeful that CoH will be saved somehow. I think each step must be taken in its turn, and we will see what happens.

I was just in Paragon rescuing a hapless citizen from the clutches of evil, and just prior to his departure from captivity he says:  "Preston Ramone: Nothing will keep me from rebuilding this city!"

I had to smile, and think to myself, "Well said!"

Crindon

• Underling
« Reply #326 on: October 04, 2012, 02:11:29 AM »
Staying out of Plan Z.  Don't know enough to offer anything constructive and don't want people to think I'm just there to shill my product.

You could be useful to help write up some the fine detailed lore. Wink. Wink. And then wink.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #327 on: October 04, 2012, 02:14:12 AM »
Checked out the threads four weeks ago, offered my assistance, no one seemed interested and there were already a couple people with some fixed ideas and plans that seemed chiseled in stone.  I don't butt into the middle of someone else's book and presume to tell them how to write it, unless they come and ask me for help.

Kinda why I'm hesitant to put anything forward. I have a rockin' idea but it's kinda all...locked. Together. Which doesn't do well if everybody already has ideas on how stuff woks. :-/

Okay, last post on this. *stops derailing the thread*
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #328 on: October 04, 2012, 02:24:20 AM »
I think by page 2, this thread was more about us all rallying and keeping our spirits up.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #329 on: October 04, 2012, 02:28:51 AM »
I think by page 2, this thread was more about us all rallying and keeping our spirits up.
I thought that was Tony's point in the first place?
:P

Either way.  Rally on!

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #330 on: October 04, 2012, 02:28:54 AM »
Extending what VV said, here's the thing about NDA's:  If you violate one, you put EVERYTHING on the line.  Not just your job, or your salary.  The company who asked you to sign it can sue you, and take all your savings, and your HOUSE.  That's how much damages they've been given the right to ask for in court.

Not only that, but once you've broken an NDA, no other company who makes employees sign one will ever hire you.  Work in the software, computer, or game industry?  Well, not anymore.  So one of the Paragon people leaking information to us could be devastating to their future career.

The kind of bright side though is that if you're really careful, and you ask for something specific that wouldn't be covered by the NDA, they might be ok with telling you.  But they wouldn't tell a wider audience, because that too would put their job at risk, NDA aside.

This.

If you have a wife and/or kids, your obligations are to THEM.  BEFORE any obligations to people bummed out and pissed off that you've been let go and the product they love is being shitcanned.

I wouldn't ask this of ANY of the Paragon Staff.  Many of them have worked for years/decades to get where they are in the industry.  Asking them to go back to a McJob at this point, just to satisfy my curiosity would be an utter dick move.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #331 on: October 04, 2012, 02:31:52 AM »
So I have spent a lot of time reading about City of Heroes getting shut down and while I dont play the game anymore I am probably willing to help if I can.

I don't know if Tony can talk about it, but honestly what kind of monetary amount are we talking about raising to try and buy the game? If you guys start some kind of fund raising you definitely have my support. I mean if we have 20,000~ supporters and everyone throws in ~$200 that's $4 million USD right there. With that kind of money we could possibly find an investor that could back us. I can only guess that we are going to need 5 million plus to buy the game tech and IP rights. I also work in the IT field so maybe I could work something out with some of the datacenters I work with for hosting the game servers?

Also, (and this is going on a little off topic side rant...) while reading through this thread I couldn't help but notice you guys mention that Victoria Victrix is Mercedes Lackey? OMG. Seriously?

I just have to say that your books kept me sane through 2 deployments in Iraq. Not to be a gushing fan or anything but I have named a character in every MMO I have ever played "Kerowyn". Wow, I just think it's incredible to know that we have someone like you supporting this movement.

Thank you for making 2 years of hell not seem so bad when I could go back to my rack and escape to a fantasy world.

Okay.  The problem isn't getting the money together.  That's pretty much been a non-issue.
The problem is that NCSoft wasn't actually in these talks in good faith.  They were basically stringing people along and wasting everyone's time.
They've pretty much shown that they're completely uninterested in actually selling the project to a group of people who have the experience, in-depth knowledge of the product, and financial backing to actually make a go of it.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #332 on: October 04, 2012, 02:37:24 AM »
Let me make something very clear here. I am not asking anyone to reveal any NC Soft secrets, the real reason for the shutdown or the details on the negotiations etc etc.

What I would like is one of those people who are the "main players" so to speak to the community that supports them and is behind them.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #333 on: October 04, 2012, 02:58:19 AM »
Let me make something very clear here. I am not asking anyone to reveal any NC Soft secrets, the real reason for the shutdown or the details on the negotiations etc etc.

What I would like is one of those people who are the "main players" so to speak to the community that supports them and is behind them.

I'm not trying to be a dick here.  How, precisely, do you propose they do so without violating their NDA insofar as NCSoft is concerned?  We've had the Twitchtalks.  We've had Zwill turning up in AP33 and posting on the Facebook page (and we saw how well that went for him). 

You want them here posting here?  To say what, exactly?  Merely posting here could be deemed as violating the NDA (and it is a lead-pipe cinch someone from NCSoft is watching for exactly that).  I am pretty damned sure that Melissa Bianco has been warned away from even emailing me, personally, privately; she hasn't even answered my "you doing OK" emails and that is not like her.

Look I completely understand and sympathize, but these are people with families to feed, and you are asking them to do something that would keep them from being able to do that...potentially, forever.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #334 on: October 04, 2012, 03:06:59 AM »
I'm not trying to be a dick here.  How, precisely, do you propose they do so without violating their NDA insofar as NCSoft is concerned?  We've had the Twitchtalks.  We've had Zwill turning up in AP33 and posting on the Facebook page (and we saw how well that went for him). 

You want them here posting here?  To say what, exactly?  Merely posting here could be deemed as violating the NDA (and it is a lead-pipe cinch someone from NCSoft is watching for exactly that).  I am pretty damned sure that Melissa Bianco has been warned away from even emailing me, personally, privately; she hasn't even answered my "you doing OK" emails and that is not like her.

Look I completely understand and sympathize, but these are people with families to feed, and you are asking them to do something that would keep them from being able to do that...potentially, forever.

Im dropping this topic.. I think Ive said enough..

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #335 on: October 04, 2012, 03:17:04 AM »
Pardon me for previously being silent in the shadows (Stalker by nature, I suppose), but it seems to me that with regards to NCSoft's announcement, the very first thing that needs to be done is that we go en masse to every game and news site that is proclaiming this message as the end.  We need to find each one of these articles, and flood the comments with our response.  If we are going to maintain the momentum and public will necessary to effect any change, we need to immediately make it abundantly clear that this is far from over.  The media has begun sounding a death knell; we need to make everyone understand that it is not ours, or those of lesser resolve will give up thinking that they have already lost, and we will lose the support we need to make a voice loud enough to be heard.

Yes! I agree 100%! I actually started a thread with this as my main thought about our next steps.
That and, based on all the attention, activity and new members on these forums too, maybe we could (and should) shoot for pulling off another unity rally... this weekend maybe?
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Chelle2868

« Reply #336 on: October 04, 2012, 03:22:32 AM »
Yes! I agree 100%! I actually started a thread with this as my main thought about our next steps.
That and, based on all the attention, activity and new members on these forums too, maybe we could (and should) shoot for pulling off another unity rally... this weekend maybe?

I'm up for another rally... if we plan one I will be there!  There has been too much negative going on in the game channels today and yesterday and perhaps something positive to remind people that we are heroes... we fight for what is right, we do not just sit and complain and wait for the end... is exactly what we need.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #337 on: October 04, 2012, 03:29:19 AM »

While, of course, you are right about the worth vs. the risk and I'm sure Heatstroke wouldn't ask that of any of them...
I do think there has to be some ability of people (if they are currently interested in saving the game) to talk with others that might help move our mutual goals forward.
While that can happen behind closed doors with people, there is one aspect that makes this troubling... and that is, what if we legitimately could pull together resources as a community and pool them with the Paragon Studios representatives?
I mean, obviously, I am leaping to great hypothetical scenarios here, but it's just something that I think a lot of people in the community wish could be answered more transparently and I imagine that is where Heatstroke is coming from.
I imagine a lot of people were under the impression that, while negotiations are going on, okay, they're talking, let's wait it out and hope it goes well.
Now we get NCSoft's refusal and we're completely in the dark as to what the people on our side of those talks think, feel, want, etc.
I know I'm basically preaching to the choir here, hehe, but it just seems like the motivating factor to this topic.
So, I'm just trying to help a little by pointing out our shared interest in getting such information.
While it has always been a longshot, a user/owned/partnership type scenario is a realistic option (if we had any inkling as to the realities of asking prices and such and if we had some support from Paragon Studios people). I don't say that in a calling out manner at all (I hope it doesn't read that way). I just mean... if we can't ever hear anything or talk or combine with them, then that option is out the window. And I'd hate to think that whatever NDA NCSoft can put in place would be so restrictive to prevent such potential for our parts in this.
I'm curious to look up the Green Bay Packers ownership situation, as I had forgotten, until just the other day, that they are a team in the NFL that is actually publicly owned. Not sure if we could learn anything from how that came to be and all, but it could be interesting.

Did I just ramble or post a long coherent reply? Not sure! :o
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

mikec777

• Underling
« Reply #338 on: October 04, 2012, 04:45:21 AM »
I don't know if anyone else has brought this up tony, but I for one would be interested in you attempting the following idea. Most of us are and were avid players of coh/cov. We kept our subscriptions current up until ncsoft stopped that and refunded our money. Why don't you set up an account and let us donate our subscription money to you? If enough people do this who are loyal to the game, It just might be enough for you to purchase the game from ncsoft. I don't know if this is possible but I for one am willing to try.

mikec777

• Underling
« Reply #339 on: October 04, 2012, 05:00:26 AM »
oops should have read thru the previous thread. Still start it up and lets see how much we can offer them. I will bet it will be an impressive amount.