Author Topic: Fade to Black  (Read 2484 times)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
Fade to Black
« on: April 24, 2013, 01:05:22 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2eZSW-QLa4

The second commissioned tribute video I have done. This time, it was a tribute to not one, but three characters: Red Djinni, Rancor, and Sister Shuma. This gave me an opportunity to do something that the characters seldom got to do in-game (since they were all played by the same person), which was to talk with each other and team up against a foe.

I went for a more abstract video this time to match up with the lyrics in numerous places, and also had some fun with blending CoH graphics with a classic comic book style. I had not planned on doing another "5 seconds before the end of the world" video, but the song choice, "Fade to Black" by Apoptygma Berzerk, practically demanded it of me. Those lyrics practically screamed the thoughts of a CoH character who knows the servers are closing, so I once again found myself using the server shutdown as the basis of the story.

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
Re: Fade to Black
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 03:25:12 AM »
Spectacular.

wei yau

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 03:37:05 AM »
Oh my Glob, Tim. 

Incredible.  I've not even come close to understanding how to move characters across a field in a Demo, but you've clearly mastered it.

That alone amazed me.

Add to that, the artistry of what you've done and my mind is blown.

Simply amazing.

Madadh

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 10:48:29 AM »
I sorta dislike you now, Tim, tho I've never met you..

I thought I was done crying...

Thanks a lot...

Madadh

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 10:51:18 AM »
Grief aside, brilliant tribute.  The graphics and vid works were awesome.  Story was good, too..   Makes me wish my fave alt had been able to be there, helping out...  Or trying to..

Seriously, tho, masterful artistry..

Madadh

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 10:52:45 AM »
I do have to ask.  Given the build up, and sudden climax, and the the crop off, wouldn't something closer to the original version of the song been better?  If you don't agree, I'd be curious to know why now?

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 02:59:11 AM »
Wow, that was incredible! Cool action sequences, awesome comic-book feel. Gonna watch it again...
Save City of Heroes | http://www.ourcityofheroes.com/

Ashen Fury

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 05:47:45 AM »
Absolutely awesome. I really wish i had the talent/footage to pull off one of these videos. Kudos.
Permanently Scrapperlocked.

Love CoH music? Want EVERY SINGLE FILE?
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7192.0.html

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 12:32:54 AM »
Wow, Tim!  For me, this went beyond amazing, awesome, impressive and magnificent to OMG, PERFECT!!!!!   I loved the music, the powers, the choreography.  Congratulations on this video masterpiece.  Thank you for making this tribute and for celebrating City of Heroes.  I mean, sure, of course, I want to play, and enjoy "making the magic" with my own player-character avatars, but this video among others celebrates what's best in our beloved CoH.  I felt really good watching this, as well as appreciating anew just how beautiful the detailing and original artwork is, especially as superheroes activate super powers!   8)  /em holdtorch forever until we get our City back!
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine