« on: January 25, 2013, 08:20:55 PM »
Seeing this I cannot see how Disney would bite at this point
http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/disney-video-game-violence-measures-bob-iger/

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
Re: Disney
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 08:42:39 PM »
In fact I think the exact opposite. City of Heroes was completely gore free. No headshots or blood, it was perhaps too sterile for some players even.

I liked it because my grand daughter could play it without having to monitor her except superficially.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 09:35:45 PM »
While there might not be any gore, we have some pretty deadly weapons on the game.  And even though we "arrest" the villians, we are killing them. 

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 09:48:56 PM »
Only on EXTREMELY rare occasions. In fact the one mission where that does happen is with Manticore. He says that is it shocking but you may have to kill someone.

In almost all other occasions you are using the emergency transporter system to sent them to the Zig.

Remember the clone arc? Your clone has a transporter that doesn't work here and they give their life for the world. I found the game to be far more Disney style bad than Breaking Bad style.

I could see Ghost Widow standing beside Cruella Deville without a problem.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 09:59:54 PM »
Yes, but when they are in a pile on the floor, it sure looks like they are killed to me.  But I do agree, it is a point of view.  When I would play with friends on skype, I would always say its time to kill some baddies and one friend would correct me, ITS ARREST.  LOL.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 10:03:48 PM »
While there might not be any gore, we have some pretty deadly weapons on the game.  And even though we "arrest" the villians, we are killing them.
Technically, you were defeating the villains. Whether that defeat ended in arrest or death was left up to you. Generally speaking, of course.

That little article makes me wonder about the future of the super hero genre of movies and TV shows more than the future of CoH.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 10:11:30 PM »
Isn't Disney producing a new Star Wars movie? Unless episode 7 is all about pod racing for some reason, I'm pretty sure that any and all tie-in games will involve killing. Besides, I'm sure Iger's comments were just PR fluff.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 10:15:39 PM »
How did you arrest this criminal?

Well, I used some or all of the following:

• Fire
  • Freezing
  • Bullets
  • Hitting him as hard as I can with superhuman strength
  • Irradiating him with a the equivalent of a couple trillion chest X-rays
  • Poisoning him
  • Choking him
  • Stabbing him
  • Chopping him
  • Slicing him
  • Exposing him to all manner of weird and extradimensional energies
  • Got some robots, mercenaries, street thugs, demons, and motile plants to take turns beating him
  • Crushed him with gravitic anomalies
  • Mind-raped him and physically abused him with psychic abilities

You know....the usual...

Heroette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 10:16:27 PM »
Good point about the fluff.  It's true about Star Wars.  There is usually a *#$*load of storm troopers meeting their demise in the movies.

And the sound effects in COH sure sounded violent - like the dual blades, I loved the sound of them slicing people (oops, I mean arresting them).

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 10:27:24 PM »
How did you arrest this criminal?

• Slicing him

I defeated the gang member with [Beheader], but they were able to reattach it at the hospital.

The miracle of modern medicine.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
Codewalker, you made me laugh out loud with that one.  Good job.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 11:14:55 PM »
At it's worst CoH was LESS violent that the entirety of the Pirates franchise. It is on par with the violence in Marvel comics (mainline titles anyhow).  And, when you look at them, the Disney animated films can get pretty violent and dark. (Just because they die off camera doesn't mean that Disney villains didn't die in some very unpleasant ways)

I don't see this as a drawback to the CoH campaign. In fact, I see this as a positive. CoH is a perfect counterpoint to games like GTA and the like. It does not glorify mindless sex, violence, or drug use. It does not show graphic violence (except in the very literal sense) or excessive blood and gore. It does not glorify criminals except in the very over the top MWA_HA_HA sense of comic books.

CoH is, as we all know from experience, is very family friendly. And I have to hope that Disney realizes that point and decides that they are willing to do something about it.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 11:42:32 PM »
CoH is, as we all know from experience, is very family friendly. And I have to hope that Disney realizes that point and decides that they are willing to do something about it.

I hope so too, but Westin Phipps may have to disappear....

Although, really, did anyone enjoy playing his arc?  I always had to take a long shower afterwards....

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 11:52:26 PM »
I hope so too, but Westin Phipps may have to disappear....

Although, really, did anyone enjoy playing his arc?  I always had to take a long shower afterwards....

Ok, I'll grant an exception for Westin Phipps.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 12:14:23 AM »
The issue is where do you draw a line.  Not everyone considers valance the same.  Lets play a game... Super Mario.

A plummer runs though a course of maps stomping, blasting, and otherwise destroying countless animals!  If you consider them sentient beings then he's a mass murderer.  Yeah King Bowser Koopa kidnaps ONE person but Mario goes on a rampage to get her back.  Even if you accept Koopa takes over the mushroom kingdom, you don't see any homes destroyed, and sign that his rule is in truth evil. 

How about Kirby who EATS people! 

How about real life?  Ever played cops and robbers?  Dodge ball?  How about simply Ring around the Rosie?  Ring around the Rosie is a rhyme about the conditions of the black plague!

So where do you draw the line at what point is Valance to much?  When is Gore in images to gory? 
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 12:30:29 AM »
Remember the clone arc? Your clone has a transporter that doesn't work here and they give their life for the world.

HEYYYY! Spoilers!!! Jeez. >:(

:P

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 02:26:11 AM »
I don't know if I ever played the Westin Phipps arc.  What was it about to make it so creepy?

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 03:06:41 AM »
Here you go. http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Westin_Phipps

I give second-worst scumbag awards to Dr. Krylov and Peter Themari.

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Krylov
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Peter_Themari

Quinch

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 03:37:17 AM »
CoH always relied a great deal of abstraction - defeats {arrest? Kill?}, influence {cashable cool points or actual money?} and so on, so the amount of violence always depended on the eye of the beholder. What we do know is that, graphically, there's never any blood, dismemberment or anything to visually imply death, as well as the fact that, at least blueside, killing the suspect was treated as a no-no by the authorities.

As for the pitch itself, I'll just mention that the pitch included a three-page section on how it fits the "family friendly" category.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 05:56:19 AM »
Just gonna leave these here...
Bambi
Lion King
Tron
Tron Legacy
Cinderella
Hercules
Finding Nemo
Incredibles
Pocahontas
Tarzan
The Black Hole
Mulan
The Little Mermaid
Hunchback of Notre Dame

Oh I could go on.  Point is... Disney movies have violence and killing/death in them.  So.. yeah, kinda not a problem, ya ask me.

/Haven't seen it... probably won't either... but Lone Ranger?  Oh, and John Carter?  Yeah, gonna go with got killin' in them too.
//Disney needs to be less hypocritical.
///And yeah, the Star Wars angle of things while we're at it, good call.