Author Topic: The Flash  (Read 1896 times)

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
The Flash
« on: May 16, 2014, 09:37:15 AM »
New 5 min trailer for the upcoming series, looking good, if it can follow in the footsteps of The Arrow it should be another worthy addition to the Superhero TV franchise.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj0l7iGKh8g

Mandu

• Elite Boss
Re: The Flash
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 11:58:42 AM »
Ok, so far we have Professor Zoom and Weather Wizard.  Any I missed?  Just counting the ones seen, not the ones cast.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 03:17:46 AM »
Wow, that looks like it's going to be really good.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 02:28:57 AM »
Nothing will be as good as the first Flash series.

I really don't like these DC series - they change way too much, its not even the actual characters anymore, though with DC that's business as usual.

SentaiRed

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 09:02:36 AM »
Hopefully with more metahuman affairs going on, we'll get away from CW's usual teen drama BS and get some actual comic book action going on. ...Probably not, though. Still, Flash is probably my favorite superhero, so I'll be there.

With Arrow, Thea made me wanna punch a wall every time she opened her mouth. I really hope they didn't put a character like that in The Flash.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 11:19:40 AM »
Thea and Arrow overall is much, much better in Season 2. Seriously, the writing overall improved, but it probably most improved for Thea who has a very good character arc this season.

Yeah Arrow's not perfect, but I don't see that they changed too terribly much for Ollie, he's pretty much comic Green Arrow at this point, he's just not being called "green" Arrow yet. I will agree about him Season 1, the whole "Hood" nonsense was awful, but this past season righted those wrongs.

I say all that because if the Arrow creators were able to listen to fan feedback and take an awful show and turn it into one of my favorite superhero shows ever, that bodes well for The Flash.

SentaiRed

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 12:44:02 PM »
Thea and Arrow overall is much, much better in Season 2. Seriously, the writing overall improved, but it probably most improved for Thea who has a very good character arc this season.

Iiiii disagree. I'm up to speed with Arrow, and overall I find the show enjoyable, but I'm still wishing for Thea's horrible maiming. I hate her as a character. Although, I do agree that the show in general is much better in Season 2. Just, Thea is annoying as balls, no matter which season I'm watching.

I just hope that Season 3 gets even better, instead of doing the Heroes thing and going from good, to bad, to awesome, to horrible, to cool, to abysmal with each subsequent season.

Edit: Also, I realized that I kind of derailed the thread into an Arrow discussion when this thread is about The Flash. Sorry. :c

BTW, do you think it's a pipe dream to think it's possible that they'll include the suit being vacuum packed into a Flash Ring in the show? I want that so bad...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 12:58:39 PM by SentaiRed »

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 01:17:18 PM »
Nothing will be as good as the first Flash series.

I really don't like these DC series - they change way too much, its not even the actual characters anymore, though with DC that's business as usual.

I loved the first series.  And I'm amused that John Wesley Shipp apparently has a role in the new series.  The trailer makes it look like it might be at least as good the first series, though I believe they're drawing on New 52 canon.  Here's hoping they're not blowing smoke and it will be a superhero show more than a teen drama with some forced broken romance.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

SentaiRed

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 12:34:01 AM »
It would be the most amazing thing if John Wesley Shipp played Jay Garrick in some  alternate dimension or time travel episode. But I imagine he's probably gonna be Barry's dad.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 03:08:13 AM »
Arrow isn't a teen drama either, it's a 20 something drama.  And since Barry is a similar age, slightly younger, I imagine it too will have the "drama" of being young, pursuing a love interest and protecting loved ones/friends.  Here he doesn't have to grow his network of confidantes like Arrow.

And it's definitely more metahuman than Arrow.  Not sure if that's a "good" thing or not.  It's necessary due to the hero, since average crooks don't stand a chance.  And hopefully there will be more than one crossover with Arrow or someone, hero or villain, from Arrow.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 12:22:06 PM »
I get not liking the stupid romance plots, but don't think at all "superhero" and romance don't go hand in hand. Outside of soap operas, comics have the -worst- romance drama known to fiction stories in the history of man. So if anything, bad romance on Arrow and maybe Flash is just staying true to its roots :p

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 06:05:48 PM »
The characters in Arrow may be 20+ years old, but the drama and romance is nevertheless fit for the horrible pulp teen romance section of the bookstore.

And while comics certainly have their share of silly affairs, triangles, etc.  They do a better job (usually) of actually getting some superheroing in.  Mind you, Arrow has been better in that regard than Smallville, at least (in the first season, anyway - haven't seen the second yet).
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 04:49:02 AM »

This is my biggest problem with the DC shows (and to a large degree their movies). If its not animated its almost like they're embarrassed that these characters came from comic books. They change so much of the characters they become barely recognizable.  Or just throw some random reference or name a character after some one from the comics.  Even if that reference/character in the show has little to do with that character in the comic beyond some superficial connection. (I'm looking at you Solomon Grundy)

As for the Flash, I will be watching it.  I just hope that the show runners understand that the Flash is more than just "he runs fast". I'm not expecting it to be all that good, what with DC's track record recently. But I do hope I'm proven wrong on that point :-)
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 06:34:20 PM »

Aleksandros

• Minion
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 11:13:13 PM »
The Flash, Green Arrow (c'mon, use the WHOLE name...), and now, if it's not simply a namesake/tossed bone tease, Firestorm!  Could the CW have actually figured out that fans want SUPERheroes in their superhero-themed shows?  Hoping there's several spinoffs from Arrow workable from this, and they do them Justice ;)