Author Topic: The Secret World/Secret World Legends  (Read 159155 times)

Hero of Steel

• Boss
Re: The Secret World
« Reply #180 on: November 22, 2013, 11:29:37 AM »

MMORPG is currently giving out keys that give you a three day trial to The Secret World and a free in-game t-shirt and trench coat.

90 keys left.

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/476

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2013, 06:38:53 PM »
Bah.... saw this way too late.  *sigh*

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #182 on: November 24, 2013, 03:52:18 AM »
The latest update brought a major cosmetic improvement.  Players can now elect to hide their weapons when not in use.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:36:21 AM by saipaman »

Hero of Steel

• Boss
« Reply #183 on: November 27, 2013, 12:24:00 AM »

From Massively
The Secret World offers Golden Weekend for the holiday

If you've got a lot of extra time to game this long holiday weekend, The Secret World has a special event that will keep you busy. Starting Thanksgiving Day and lasting through Monday, December 2nd, players will be able to rack up double Ability Points, collect a 30% bonus on all purchased Funcom Points, and earn a free month's membership for every recruited friend who buys the game.

Additionally, players can once again enjoy the Gilded Rage event complete with the roaming giant golden golem loot pinata and the opportunity to grab the semi-exclusive golden tux at a 90% discount.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/11/26/the-secret-world-offers-golden-weekend-for-the-holiday/

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #184 on: November 27, 2013, 06:49:09 PM »
I actually managed to beg a trial key from the Steam forums, and gave it a try.

Decent game I must say.  I don't want to spend $30 on it however.  I will have to see if there are any ridiculously good deals to buy it coming up, hopefully during the Steam sales.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #185 on: November 27, 2013, 11:12:09 PM »
In many ways, the cut scenes are the best part of the game.

Second Chances

• Minion
« Reply #186 on: November 28, 2013, 03:49:14 AM »
Decent game I must say.

I did the trial recently, myself, and decided to buy it. It is one of those MMOs that ends up discouraging casual teaming during leveling (except for group-oriented instances), but since there is a lot of story there, I can live with that (it lets me go through the story and the puzzles at my own pace, and read all the stuff, and whatnot). Given that it is Pay Once, Play "Forever" (CoH players know how long forever is :/), if I look at it as a single-player game, it was well worth the price of admission to me. Whatever teaming I may get out of it as an MMO is icing on that cake.

I don't want to spend $30 on it however.  I will have to see if there are any ridiculously good deals to buy it coming up, hopefully during the Steam sales.

If you search this list, it seems that Amazon is expected to have it on sale on 11/29...
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/106582/amazon---amazons-pc-digital-download-sale-firaxis-complete-pack-20-bioshock-triple-pack-15-borderlands-2-goty-12-x-com-collection

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #187 on: November 28, 2013, 04:54:17 PM »
I admit to cheating on the puzzles with the in-game web browser.

Hero of Steel

• Boss
« Reply #188 on: December 02, 2013, 03:25:31 AM »

Amazon currently has Secret World for $10.19.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #189 on: December 02, 2013, 04:06:32 AM »
This weekend was the busiest I've ever seen in 'The Secret World'.   I gained literally hundreds of ability points on Golden Golem event teams.  For the first time ever, I actually experienced lag in this game.

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #190 on: December 02, 2013, 01:06:13 PM »
This weekend was the busiest I've ever seen in 'The Secret World'.   I gained literally hundreds of ability points on Golden Golem event teams.  For the first time ever, I actually experienced lag in this game.
Yeah, having seen a couple of those by now, those weekends are like that :) The golem events (and rewards) are fun enough (unless you get the stupid flares) but yeah... lots of lag.

The Secret World is where my little online group settled after trying a few other MMO's. It's not "home", but it's visually pleasing, wonderful stories and characters (I can pick one or two from each area that are my favorites and/or that stick in my head) and you can literally build any way you want (within the rules of the game). You want to be a ranged kind of tank thing? Sure! Want to throw down melee style, no problem! The fact that you can do it on the same character, and switch weapons and styles between each encounter if you really want, is a plus (for that, the gear management slots are invaluable!). That you can master everything eventually means there's no 'wrong' way to build, and finding the combinations that work for your and your group are a joy to explore.

Unfortunately, a lot of folks in game don't feel the same way and try to pigeonhole every character into a 'holy trinity' combo or consider your build a bad one. Granted, it seems the Dev's built the dungeons with that in mind (probably because players wouldn't have it any other way) but the rest of the game is more versatile and forgiving than I think a lot of people suspect. It's something few other games even attempt to do, so I guess I can't blame a large portion of the general playerbase for not being able wrap their head around that versatility.

I just wish the team size limit was a little bigger (caps at 5- whereas playing City of * we'd kinda gotten used to teams of 6-8... again, there's no place like home)

Lyc~

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #191 on: December 03, 2013, 04:11:06 AM »
I must have 50 flares from just the weekend.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #192 on: December 06, 2013, 04:42:50 AM »
I'm interested in trying Secret World (if this comp can handle it).

Are there any classes/builds that play like master minds or contollers?

What would be a good server to start on, I'm game for pretty much anything except for RPing.

It's free to play right, with a sub option? If it is, if I like it after I've played it some. I'll most likely sub.

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #193 on: December 06, 2013, 04:51:20 AM »
Are there any classes/builds that play like master minds or contollers?
Nope. CoH was an exception in the potency of its crowd control powers. You'll not see such heavy control in any other game. And last I played, there were no summonable pets.

It's free to play right, with a sub option? If it is, if I like it after I've played it some. I'll most likely sub.
It is buy to play with a sub option. Meaning you need to buy the box for $40 or so and you can play most of the content for free after that. If you wish you can sub, and then you'll have access to all update missions (without a sub, you'll have access only to some of them). In any case, you get full access to the game's various systems.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #194 on: December 06, 2013, 05:03:00 AM »
Ah Thanks a lot Exxar.

I'll have to wait until payday then.

No pet classes is kind of a let down but as long as I can farm. I'll be happy, I'll buy the digital copy on pay day. Try it out and if I like it I'll sub. :)

So any particular servers I should try out? I really just like pve and farming.

Ty again and take care. :)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #195 on: December 06, 2013, 05:16:50 AM »
You're going to find it plays different from CoX.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #196 on: December 06, 2013, 06:23:00 AM »
I figured that, not many games play like CoH.

I've watched some game play videos but it's been awhile.

I'll watch some more game play vids tomorrow.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #197 on: December 06, 2013, 06:48:54 AM »
I advise you to pick up the self-heal ability as quickly as possible.  You're going to need it.

Hero of Steel

• Boss
« Reply #198 on: December 06, 2013, 01:38:08 PM »

Second Chances

• Minion
« Reply #199 on: December 06, 2013, 09:58:20 PM »
The Newcomers section of the forums has a lot of good info.
http://forums.thesecretworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

In particular, I found these two stickied threads there really handy in getting started...

The Basics...
  http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=66643
Things I wish I'd known...
  http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=52907