Author Topic: HELP with big decision!  (Read 1481 times)

Takinalis

• Boss
HELP with big decision!
« on: March 18, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »
Hiya!

OK, here's the deal.

I'm being considered by Company A as a programmer. This is actually my dream job.

This has been going on for about three weeks now.

In the meantime recruiter Company B has a telephone call lined up for me this afternoon. I'm certain I can land the temporary contract with Company B (staging, migration through August).

I reached out to Company A and advised them I would likely have an offer today from Company B. Company A advised me that they were just very busy right now, I'm still being considered but to advise them if I take the position with Company B.

I'm financially sound for the next three months (afterwards looks hairy).

If in my shoes, would you take the position with Company B, or hold out hope for the dream job with Company A?
Valkyrie Blade - Virtue Server

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
Re: HELP with big decision!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 10:12:56 PM »
Regarding Company-A, have you been going in for multiple followup interviews over the past 3 weeks or was it just the one time (or couple of times) 3 weeks ago?  If you haven't had continuous interaction with Company-A in the past 3 weeks, then the pessimist in me assumes that they're stringing you along while hoping for someone better to show up.  Or maybe that position isn't that critical to fill and they were just fishing.

Personally, in these economic times, I'd accept the first to offer.  Dreams don't pay the bills.  And there have been numerous news reports that a lot of companies are flat out discriminating against those who have been out of work for a while.  (example)  Beside, even if Company-B's job is short term, it's another notch in the resume. 
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 10:35:16 PM »
brandoncomputer:  After reading your post, a quaint old saying comes to mind: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  Listen to what SerialBeggar says.  Very sound advise.  I'm retired now (BellSouth 25 years and have done contract technical writing for roughly 15 years after BellSouth retirement) and still get phone calls and emails offering jobs of one sort or another.  In these times companies can be very picky about who they hire.  If I were in your shoes, I would take Company B, which seems to be a sure thing.  Also, don't be afraid to network.  Put your resume' out on as many job boards as you can (Dice, Net-Temps, Monster and Computerjobs.com come to mind).  Well, enough of my rambling. :)  Good luck!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 02:50:35 PM »
If in my shoes, would you take the position with Company B, or hold out hope for the dream job with Company A?

If A can't or won't give you a more concrete answer about when you will know at minimum when a decision will be made, I would take B.  If A is "very busy" to the point that they can't give a firm answer about a potential new hire, then the job for that new hire isn't likely critical to their operation (and might be one of the first on the chopping blocks if things go bad) or there is some other factor that may be the job not as dreamy as it seems (management issues, financial problems, not knowing what sort of workers they need, etc.).
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 04:58:27 PM »
Three weeks sounds more like they're brushing you off to me.
They're interested in you enough to keep you indecisive with their assurances, but not interested enough to actually stop you from going to their competition if you chose to.

tl;dr: So far it looks like a monkey trap. My cynicism and paranoia lead me to suggest it may be an intentional test - that you are failing right now.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 08:05:06 PM »
This advice may be too late to be useful; however, it is this:

You could and I recommend you accept the solid offer from Company B; if Company A then makes you an offer, you are free to consider it.   This happens to people in other professional occupations, e.g. business, education, medicine, etc.  While leaving Company B for Company A after only 3-4 weeks isn't great on your employment history, I don't think it does it harm, and that it's usually understood as being "practical" as opposed to "unloyal."

Good luck and i hope either you got that dream job or that Company B's job turned out to be better than expected. 
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine