Author Topic: We're in a perfect storm. We need an advertising campaign now, this week, today.  (Read 28321 times)

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
Yeah, we are definitely viewed by NCIdiocracy as subordinates. Bad subordinates, naughty subordinates who dared to speak their minds to a superior.

Welcome to the United States. We have a tendency to speak our minds over here - for better or worse. And we can do it all day long.

nataliaofvirtues

• Minion
And rightly so Illusionss. I still can't figure out what NC was/is/might be thinking. Granted the community didn't dole out 30 Million a month, but we were still helping to support their other "babies". And as long as we were getting to play our game, we weren't complaining. So now who is the next "fall-game" to be slated? I definitely continue to support our efforts in whatever way I can and Speak as loudly and in as many directions as I can.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
I agree with JaguarX.  Sounds like sarcasm to me.
No Surrender!

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
Just to get this back on track, I've updated my views in the OP here.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
So now who is the next "fall-game" to be slated? I definitely continue to support our efforts in whatever way I can and Speak as loudly and in as many directions as I can.

I suspect the next to go will be Guild Wars, the original. Though over its lifetime it's outdone CoH, it pulls in less monthly now than CoH did at the end as far as I know. Hopefully that'll prompt Arenanet to invoke the rumored clause in their contract to allow them to pull out and keep both games running on their own, or most likely Guild Wars 2 will be the next after that, as the sole remaining US developed game. I think. Are there any others left aside from those two?

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
I suspect the next to go will be Guild Wars, the original. Though over its lifetime it's outdone CoH, it pulls in less monthly now than CoH did at the end as far as I know. Hopefully that'll prompt Arenanet to invoke the rumored clause in their contract to allow them to pull out and keep both games running on their own, or most likely Guild Wars 2 will be the next after that, as the sole remaining US developed game. I think. Are there any others left aside from those two?

Wildstar. But that's not out yet.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
By the way, as far as advertising is concerned...

I currently hate Youtube.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
By the way, as far as advertising is concerned...

I currently hate Youtube.

Automatic recommendations are never stuff a person is actually interested in or rarely even relevant to the material just watched tha supposedly caused the recomendation.

I dont care too much youtube. Too many ads in videos now. Its not even worth the trouble. After a while I got a way to block ads but by then, I found another source and didnt even need youtube anymore. Not to mention it seems there is a crack down on copyright, and too much stupid rickrolls and people where someone told them they could sing took it to heart and think they are the next big singer (Stop it!) and videos of games where the guy in the background just wont shut the pancake up and let a person watch the "how to be good at (insert game)". I mean if they MUST speak at least peak if the relevant and not how "uber you are because you pwn people in school and etc. and making stupid sound effects." Youtube have become next to useless to me now. A cesspool of over confident people and a place to post annoying videoes under misleading titles.

Quinch

Too many ads in videos now.

Adblock is your friend. I only remember YouTube has ads when someone mentions them.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Adblock is your friend. I only remember YouTube has ads when someone mentions them.
read further down and you'll see that I eventually got the ad block. And the rest of why I still dont use youtube.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
Is there really a good alternative to Youtube? I checked out Vimeo briefly but it seems like everyone posts videos but nobody watches them, and there doesn't seem to be one iota of community.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Is there really a good alternative to Youtube? I checked out Vimeo briefly but it seems like everyone posts videos but nobody watches them, and there doesn't seem to be one iota of community.
my alternative is just buying the music and not worrying about youtube. After putting all the music that I have and like together, even off disks I havent played in a decade or so, I realized I just about everything I need that I might want to watch on youtube right here (Yeah videos too. Prior to discovering youtube, I had a dvd player in the dash of my old MBZ and two head rest screens so videos were a must. Many I just bought and or ordered from the record company themselves way back. Others found on mix tapes and dvds that have collections of music videos. Liek the ones that they used to at least distribute at clubs).

For games, I just play them myself and figure it out. Usually I figure it out in less time than it takes to fidn the video on youtube, go through a dozen of so rick rolls, find one that actualluy in good enough quality to see, all the ads, and stuff. Realized I actually saved time doing it myself.

And since most of the music I liked to listen too have been taken down by their respective record companies or is obscure and no one posted it, I either just buy it or buy it.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
Oh... heh. I meant as a hub for user-created content (Deviant Art for video and film production), not as a source for licensed media.  I already don't rely on Youtube for the latter. 8)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Oh... heh. I meant as a hub for user-created content (Deviant Art for video and film production), not as a source for licensed media.  I already don't rely on Youtube for the latter. 8)
oh that. not sure. Probably not one as large as Youtube.

If not there probably should be one that is only for user generated content, and specific rule against using misleading titles (aka no rick rolling or varients) and must be the work of the user no promotions, no copyrighted materials. Like what the purpose of the original youtube was for.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
Block the Youtube cookies.  Your recommendations will change a LOT.  Much better experience now, instead of their 'guessing' what I wanna see, I get *really* related videos.

It was like instant fix for me.  Much better.

Lucretia MacEvil

I just read that the Google pitch package is getting ready to go out (http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7899.260.html).

It seems like now would be the time to put those last-minute touches on the banners and get them out there so Google can easily see that there's still a market for our game and a dedicated community ready to come flocking back (with money in hand).

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
I believe the current TF:HM plan is to launch when you guys do - is this still a thing, or did it die a death? :)
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
I am not sure exactly where the website is in terms of development - I have made one available and obviously banners are there and I loved Vyolet's site design so very much more than what I was working on.

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
Hi guys! Sorry I haven't been keeping you updated on the website development. I haven't been able to be as productive as I had hoped as life threw me a couple of lemons. I survived finals, my transmission went out in my car, all while struggling to pull through the busiest season at my work.

All is well now however. Got my car back (cost more than the car is worth, but hey - I'm back on the road). This has inspired a book idea called "Meet the Crazies: My Adventures of the City Bus."

Anyhoo. In my downtime I have been laying out the other sections of the webpage. The section chapters I've laid out thus far are:

Our Story
The Shutdown
The Reaction
The Legacy (A short history of CoH and it's accomplishments)

This weekend I hope to get more work done on the actual coding for the webpage.
Save City of Heroes | http://www.ourcityofheroes.com/

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
Been getting thumped by life myself lately.

Wife goes in for surgery tomorrow and will be off 5 - 8 weeks from work! I would say this feels like a plot.

A Nemesis plot!