Author Topic: Fundraising idea: Save our City t shirts  (Read 2688 times)

Ratstar

• Underling
Fundraising idea: Save our City t shirts
« on: September 14, 2012, 02:21:03 PM »
First, thanks to Tony V. You, Sir, are remarkable.

I've played COX on and off since 2005 and just recently found this site.  It appears I've missed out on a lot over the years...

I realize we may not be at the fundraising stage just yet but this may take a little lead time.  I also doubt I'm the first person to think of this. think if someone silkscreened shirts with the save our coh logo on the front and "we are heroes,  it's what we do" on the back with proceeds going to the war chest they'd sell like hotcakes.

Looking forward to the next call to action,
Eddie
@Ratstar
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:26:09 PM by Ratstar »

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
Re: Fundraising idea: Save our City t shirts
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 02:31:58 PM »
More than one thread has been posted about t-shirts. It would be nice to get everyone so inclined on the same page; if we can pool resources, I have no doubt more options will be open to us. Anyone feel like volunteering to take point on that? :)
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 02:40:02 PM »
The problem is they will have to avoid using an CoH IP. NCSoft is extremely interested in shutting down our efforts right now. If we start selling something that has their IP on it, we are just asking to be sued. What the purpose of the shirts is won't save us. I will, however, suggest making "FREEM!" shirts and other comic book "sound effects" with urls to the petition and the twitter hashtag on the back. They could also feature artwork of original characters that you made. Those are in a grey area legally and NCSoft isn't likely to try to any legal action against your use of characters you created in game. The most important thing is that you reference the movement. Save Our City! and #SaveCoH are fine. "City of Heroes", "NCSoft", and any logos or artwork or anything associated with them is probably best avoided.

T-shirts might actually be best saved for crowdfunding efforts if that becomes needed. Everyone that donates gets an "I saved the city" t-shirt.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 02:41:41 PM »
I would LOVE to have a Statesman t-shirt, but aside from dross like this, I can't find much. I did find this, of course, in looking for that first link, and I would certainly wear the dark one. $16 isn't a bad price.

I'd rather see someone set up a market on some custom shirt site, with the procedes to go to the cause, but we'd probably have a tough legal fight, even with the possibility of Fair Use on our side, in the case of something like the first link with one of the cause banners or graphics on it.  I have a screenprinting kit that I was intending to play with, but I'm working on another project, at the moment, and I'm having trouble sourcing the correct ink in personal quantities locally.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 02:56:37 PM »
@Rorn

Guardian Server

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 06:41:33 PM »
The problem is they will have to avoid using an CoH IP. NCSoft is extremely interested in shutting down our efforts right now. If we start selling something that has their IP on it, we are just asking to be sued. What the purpose of the shirts is won't save us. I will, however, suggest making "FREEM!" shirts and other comic book "sound effects" with urls to the petition and the twitter hashtag on the back. They could also feature artwork of original characters that you made. Those are in a grey area legally and NCSoft isn't likely to try to any legal action against your use of characters you created in game. The most important thing is that you reference the movement. Save Our City! and #SaveCoH are fine. "City of Heroes", "NCSoft", and any logos or artwork or anything associated with them is probably best avoided.

T-shirts might actually be best saved for crowdfunding efforts if that becomes needed. Everyone that donates gets an "I saved the city" t-shirt.

There are definitely ways around copyright though. The phrases you mentioned work, and if you look at the forums, there's definitely a demand for AP33 (Atlas Park 33) merchandise and a lot of concept art has been drawn up for it.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 06:43:14 PM »
AP33. We are heroes. This is what we do.

*sagenod*
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 06:46:10 PM »
AP33. We are heroes. This is what we do.

*sagenod*

I'll take ten.
@Rorn

Guardian Server

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 08:11:01 PM »
I'm designing some also, i know copywright and the ways around it. It's not a bad idea but don't do anything that will piss of NCSoft or tarnish our efforts. I like the crowd suggestion. Donate and get a free shirt. I wonder if i could do that at campus. The only issue wit doing that is the start up cost. Printing shirts on your own is very costly. That is why i suggested Teefury a while back in another forum. Iv'e seen all kinds of games and tvshows and stuff on there, mario, dr who and starwars are especially popular there. Wouldn't hurt to look into that. Iv'e already spent more money on this with flyers and such that i'm out of money to keep it going.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 08:50:24 PM »
As long as the money goes into one of the support projects, I don't think it'd be a problem.

TBH if NCsoft tried to sue us over that it'd be hilarious. Imagine the headlines on that one. "NCSoft sues players for supporting NCSoft game."

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 10:01:54 PM »
As long as the money goes into one of the support projects, I don't think it'd be a problem.

TBH if NCsoft tried to sue us over that it'd be hilarious. Imagine the headlines on that one. "NCSoft sues players for supporting NCSoft game."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Oh that would be a laugh. I was planning to give 50% to Paragon or Tony for whatever we need to save it and 50% for advertising in the paper and printing more flyers and posters and such.