Author Topic: "...a realignment of company focus"  (Read 160727 times)

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
Re: "...a realignment of company focus"
« Reply #300 on: October 09, 2012, 01:09:16 PM »
Hmm... I have created several 'boy' sidekick type characters in CoH, and a pretty good Peter Pan/Puck knockoff, and a bunch of male 'street urchin' critters for a AE missions (I'll eventually post up screenshots)... you can pull off anything from about 11 years old on up. And stuff a cigar in their mouth while you're at it. Girls, not so much. Instead, we get one of the most off-putting things about City of Heroes to me: rail-thin teeny-tiny barbie doll girls that roleplayers have to explain are supposed to be kids. I've tried to do femteen characters... never felt like it worked. If that is the result of self-censorship instead of shortsighted design, then self-censorship was a bad thing.

Not the best, not the worst, a little too much out front (not clear from the screenshot, but the toon is VERY short)

pandora114

• Lieutenant
« Reply #301 on: October 09, 2012, 01:10:20 PM »
My Beast/Trap MM is supposed to be a 12yr old girl.  It is difficult.

(Note, she's supposed to be Vernon Von Grunn's niece)  It's difficult but with a baggy lab coat it's doable.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #302 on: October 09, 2012, 01:32:36 PM »
Would it really have been so hard to make the "bust" slider go to "flat" in the avatar-building engine? Or was it a conscious choice on the game creators' part?

Also, would it be feasible to use the "boy child" body type in "superheroine" clothes to pull off "girl child hero?" Or is the boy too obviously masculine even though a child?

(I refuse to discuss "cross dressing heroes," here; this is pure "can the DCOU engine be manipulated by a player to get a 'proper' young girl?")

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #303 on: October 09, 2012, 01:36:48 PM »
Would it really have been so hard to make the "bust" slider go to "flat" in the avatar-building engine? Or was it a conscious choice on the game creators' part?

Also, would it be feasible to use the "boy child" body type in "superheroine" clothes to pull off "girl child hero?" Or is the boy too obviously masculine even though a child?

(I refuse to discuss "cross dressing heroes," here; this is pure "can the DCOU engine be manipulated by a player to get a 'proper' young girl?")
There's some that do it, but I think most believe they look way too masculine.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #304 on: October 09, 2012, 01:57:50 PM »
my 10 year old character...she doesn't look 10, couldn't get it to work so yeah, had to explain all the time.

You can't really tell here but she is very short.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #305 on: October 09, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
This is a character that I made several years ago.
Basically, she's a Wolverine knock-off: Claws/Regen.
But, she's about 14 or so. Or, at least she was before the procedure that gave her the claws.
She likes anime, comic books, and long walks on the beach... :p

I present to you: Cat Girl Alex. :)
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #306 on: October 09, 2012, 02:43:29 PM »
Here's the Seer child abducted by Mother Mayhem in the First Ward story arc :

The devs themselves needed a kid for this story, and this is the closest they came to it - and they had every tool in the game at their disposal!

V-Mink

• Lieutenant
  • Greenside
« Reply #307 on: October 09, 2012, 02:53:58 PM »
It may be worth pointing out that this is not be Hyung-Tae Kim's first venture into Western media.  Players of a certain pen-and-paper RPG called Exalted (which was also very much inspired by Eastern media) will very well remember the infamous cover for the supplement Savant and Sorcerer.  It was also called the "Camel Toe Book."

This is the first cover released:

Somehow, it got out into the wild.  White Wolf roused itself from its stupor, saw what they had let out the door, and went back to the artist and had him put a loincloth on the subject.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #308 on: October 09, 2012, 03:54:40 PM »
...will very well remember the infamous cover for the supplement Savant and Sorcerer.  It was also called the "Camel Toe Book."

That...is hideous :o That guy has some serious issues about women that he needs to work out. I think what he needs is counselling, not a job at a major games publisher ??? And the fact that he's being not just tolerated but actively encouraged in this misguided quest to turn women into distorted grotesques is disturbing to say the least.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #309 on: October 09, 2012, 03:58:10 PM »
So, i'm not trying to get our asian community upset with what i'm about to say but is this what the media throws at their woman? I think it's time for a womans movement in Korea. Women need a revolution world wide. Here in America things aren't perfect, we have barbie and the media too but at least we are free to speak our minds and demand equality and have an oppertunity to show real women instead of just this crap.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #310 on: October 09, 2012, 04:00:45 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzmqOW0c3o8&feature=fvwrel

Some of the other videos show that the game apparently does has body sliders in order to change the proportions.

I hope, hope hope that video in particular is just somebody messing with the sliders and pushing them to their extreme limit, and not a default model.

Because *shudder*, that's just grotesque.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #311 on: October 09, 2012, 04:29:04 PM »
my 10 year old character...she doesn't look 10, couldn't get it to work so yeah, had to explain all the time.

Pretty sure there's only been time that I've seen anyone actually pull off a kid in CoH who actually looks like one. Cute as a button. She uses an assault bot named Mr. Buzzy (vague Bioshock homage?) as a sidekick/bodyguard. Cool use of the shirt top to make suspenders too.

Next time I see her I'll have to ask if we can use her screenshot.

Teege

• Boss
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #313 on: October 09, 2012, 04:38:47 PM »
http://news.mmosite.com/content/2012-09-13/ncsoft_confirms_the_global_release_of_blade_and_soul.shtml

Even more images to help you out  :o

Strange, that last photo actually looks OK. Must just be my mind thinking the skin is actually fabric.  :P

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #314 on: October 09, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »
Yeah...this is really gonna appeal to Western gamers...

pandora114

• Lieutenant
« Reply #315 on: October 09, 2012, 04:44:07 PM »
Hey NCsoft, how's that new direction working for you?

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/chart?symbol=036570.KS

Going DOWN! HAH

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #316 on: October 09, 2012, 05:07:32 PM »

Going DOWN! HAH

Almost where they were before announcing the shutdown. Gee, so much for that boosting investor confidence.

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #317 on: October 09, 2012, 05:13:24 PM »
Almost where they were before announcing the shutdown. Gee, so much for that boosting investor confidence.

So let's point this out to NCSoft's investors. Make NCSoft have to sunset more stuff so that they reconsider their way to pull out of their death spiral.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #318 on: October 09, 2012, 05:18:10 PM »
So let's point this out to NCSoft's investors. Make NCSoft have to sunset more stuff so that they reconsider their way to pull out of their death spiral.

Maybe B&S is going to be NC's version of TORtanic. Perhaps Karma will come to NC in the form of liquidation. Let's see how much longer they feel like they've exhausted all options for a sale.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #319 on: October 09, 2012, 05:22:20 PM »

Going DOWN! HAH

I saw that and couldn't help but laugh my @ss off, guess our tactics are working even if they aren't allways done the nice way.