Author Topic: Icon Showcase  (Read 4992 times)

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
Icon Showcase
« on: July 14, 2014, 09:59:07 PM »
Not a competition, but have you made any cool-looking costumes in Icon that you want to show off and perhaps show to some new people as how extensive the character creator is? Go ahead and post below (assuming you can find out how to post images I am having some trouble)

microc

• Boss
Re: Icon Showcase
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 01:48:04 AM »

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
  • Telegram force and ready
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 06:53:22 AM »
Not amazing by any means, but I love how in NPC mode most of the PPD Shell parts are actually available as individual components you can apply as a whole or mix and match with other stuff (which obviously blows away the full transformation power that ended up being offered). There are the crazy boots, the belt (which includes the hip parts), upper chest plates, shoulders, and helmet. The only components I couldn't seem to locate were the upper arm plates/gun mount bracers. I experimented with different emotes and attack animations and everything flows really well: I would have paid good money to have access to these pieces back when the game was live.

Guns don't kill people, meerkats do.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 09:23:13 AM »
I would have paid good money to have access to these pieces back when the game was live.
You know, that's a good idea for the game's new developer. The pieces are there, after all. :)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

microc

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 09:40:08 AM »

COh buyback meeting

microc

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 10:02:02 AM »

COH DPW hard at work

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 10:10:46 AM »
You know, that's a good idea for the game's new developer. The pieces are there, after all. :)

Indeed, there appear to be a wealth of npc parts they could sell individually or in bundles, throw in as a subscriber bonuses, or perhaps link to badges (assuming the ability to add the code is present). There are obvious ones you would have to exclude like the in progress/test parts, parts with large gaps like those intended for certain robots or the Cyclops head, things that assume a fixed animation (i.e. the Seer "straitjacket" top), and clearly signature NPC things like Statesman components. Things like Drudge heads might cross a weirdness event horizon (though I personally would like them). Otherwise I think most of it could be fair game as long as it includes a warning that these are specialty parts that may produce unexpected collisions or sizing/coloring issues (mark them with an asterix or something).

I mean, I was messing around with the skirt from the Oni mastermind pet in there and except for very extreme emotes and martial arts powers (for which a punch alternative is available) the thing looks just fine for almost any reasonable robe purpose. Something like this would have been a great addition to our costume arsenal.

And really, who wouldn't want this guy protecting their city? :)

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:32:49 AM by Serpine »

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 01:10:28 PM »
.... I wouldn't  :gonk:
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 02:49:19 PM »

I can't stand too much of messing about in Icon as it reminds me of how great CoH was/will be again hopefully, But made this for a Bio/Radioactive  type character if they become playable in the future.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 03:42:58 PM »
Reposted from another thread but a cool character that I mad in Icon. Wish the thundercloud aura showed up better in screenshots.

Here is Lady Rus of of Kiev

A stage magician from Kiev who got more than she bargained for when she got an true copy of the Mystery of the Worms.  The summoning spell was badly mangled (her Latin was poor) the demon could only corrupt her physical form. But that was enough.   

Her skin is the dark of midnight, her claws long and sharp for the rending of flesh. She is surrounded by a black mist that petrifies and causes the living to weaken and die.  She is shunned because of her hellish looks, but she is still Tatyiana Boraslav inside. Her hands make plants wither, animals and children are unnerved by her, even food and water are tainted by her touch. 

Rejected by humanity, she yet fights for them. The gentle woman inside is determined to have others see past her horrific exterior to the innocent soul trapped in this demonic body. She knows that one day the Rhodina will accept her again. Until that happy day, she protects the innocent of Paragon City.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 04:41:32 PM »
.... I wouldn't  :gonk:
Well it would certainly serve to discourage criminals...

Dude dressed like a bat? Laughable. My guy: Nightmare fuel. :)

Von Krieger

• Evil Emperor of German Chocolate
  • Boss
  • Silly Dragon
    • VK's FurAffinity Page
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 07:26:31 PM »
I did a lot of messing around with Icon in Dev Mode, just to see what things looked like, and I ended up with a character concept that I rather liked as well as better costumes for a few of my characters.

Neodryad, the aforementioned character concept. Plop a killer robot with a hatred for humanity in the midst of Devoured Earth for a few decades and have her "go native."

Revamp of my main, Infernal Infested, with full access to Dev parts. You can tell I REALLY like the robo-dreadlocks from the Victroia cyborg model. With the "Widow" gloves and boots it really helps give her a somewhat armored look that isn't metal plates everywhere.

And here are the two costumes Infested ended up using. Her original horribly mutated demonic self, and a more human and heroic colored form I picked for her to use in the I-Trials since she wasn't p to fire-flinging rampaging villainy in those.

Spectre Psyche was a character I kept making trying to find something thematic for her that I liked playing. Nothing quite fit my mental image of her, which was Fiery Aura stapled to a theoretical Hellfire Assault that had ran off cackling gleefully with Stygian Circle. I ended up making the Hellfire Elementalist AT as a quasi-Kheldian that felt like what I imagined playing her would be like if given free reign in the CoH power system. That AT with the Psi damage interface set would be thematically and mechanically perfect for her.

She was an extradimensional analog of Sister Psyche, whose world's "Coming Storm" had been a meteorite charged with necrotic energy. I ended up making 2/3rds of an undead Freedom Phalanx to go with her, but I never much had an interest in them beyond background info.

I posted her original costume (this one, though not using those images) on the old boards' show off your best costumes thread, where I also posted her bio. Because she was only in her mid teens levelwise, I didn't bother to cap her with Sentinel+, and thus the only place where her bio (which I LOVED) is in that several hundred page thread from the September boardcap on Archive.org.

I went through 200 pages of the thread so I could try and get her bio, but I couldn't find it.

I talked about it the CoT Kickstarter comment thread, and I saved that write up:

Spoiler for Past VK Rambling:
Anyhoo, whilst I was asleep a bunch of people shared their character bios and such. And to my profound despair I discovered that I don't have a copy saved of the one character bio that I was proudest of.

I know exactly where it is, buried somewhere in the "Show Off Your Best Costumes" megathread, which I can find on Archive.org, but without settings applied, there are nearly 600 pages to look through.

Ghost Window and Sister Psyche were two of my favorite characters, so I kind of made an homage to both in the form of Spectre Psyche, in the form of a Marvel Zombies-esque dimension of undead-ified versions of the lore characters.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/HellkatPredator/CoX/SpectrePsyche.jpg

I've probably spent an unhealthy amount of time creating the lore surrounding the one character, which I had big plans for but could never quite get her feeling fun enough to play for the long haul to level 50. I tried her as Defender, Dominator, Corrupter, Controller, and Mastermind, but compared to my main, she felt slow and squishy.

Then again, compared to the SS/Fire/Mu brute purpled out to the gills that was Infernal Infested, everything feels slow and squishy.

The overall origin involved one of the Portal Corp alternate dimension designated Rho Omega 2-0, essentially using the in-lore designations to spell out "ROT."

I think I had it as being a more magically prevalent world than Earth Prime or Praetorian Earth, where their 1960 Shiva meteor event actually smacked right into the planet, though instead of heralding the eventual arrival of the Coming Storm / Battalion, it was the equivalent of a nuclear reactor that pumped out huge amounts of negative energy.

Said negative energy interacted with electricity to create rapid breakdowns of all technology that utilized electricity, so pretty much everything got thrown back to the 1800's tech-wise.

So all that negative energy makes the dead rise, weakens and kills living things, and so on. The world's Statesman analog, dubbed the Corpsman, is the first casualty of the meteor, having flown into space to try and destroy or move it.

I admit that I named most of them something pun-y.

Thus Corpsman becomes Corpseman.

I use alternate spellings and pronunciation to make Raymond Keyes Raymond de Quays, so I can call him Dr. Decay.

Tammy Arcanus is essentially the last living sentient on ROT-Earth due to her command of necromantic energies.

Synapse's counterpart is female and after she dies is brought back Frankenstein style. Bride of Decay.

Citadel's counterpart is a golem named Portcullis.

I never managed to come up with a good name for a Manticore analog.

And Spectre Psyche was the only one I made a really in-depth backstory for.

Up until the parallel to the Rikti invasion, the human race was managing to survive and then one day it didn't.

The folks that had sent the meteor arrived to claim their army of the undead, and overloaded the original meteor, the catastrophic event killing and reanimating everything from blue whales all the way down to the microbial level.

A lucky few managed to survive behind erected barriers, Sister Psyche managing to put up a forcefield enough to cover most of one of the Etoile Islands with a few survivors.

Of course that took a great deal of power to do, and she couldn't hold it forever.

As zombie movies show us, the biggest danger to people is not the undead, but the people themselves. And in time the survivors, with limited resources and no way of safely getting more, turned on one another. The depths to which some people stooped in order to cling to a few more days of life were abhorrent. So in the end Shalice Tillman let her barrier fall.

The thing that arose in her place tells the experience as "In one agonizing, excruciating, horrible, wonderful moment my soul was ripped out and I was reborn." In her last moments she had been filled with loathing, disgust, filled with murderous intent.

As Ghost Widow says, the dead do not change, and in death this version of Sister Psyche remained perpetually locked in the mindset she experienced moments before her death. Her personality similarly has been altered by the powerful necromantic force called the "Still Shadows," that infected her world with the intent of creating an undead army. Likely why she is particularly gleeful in creating yet more undead.

I could never quite seem to capture Spectre in the CoH game mechanics. She was somewhere in the midst of Control, Ranged Damage, and Support, and I couldn't quite decide what combination of Smash/Lethal/Dark/Fire/Toxic/Psi damage she'd do.

In my head she played like some Frankenstein's Monster of Fire Armor, Dark/Psi Blast, and a Warshade.

She... kind of inspired me to write up a whole friggin' Epic AT to try and capture how I imagined her to play, the Hellfire Elementalist. I made a whole AT down to the Real Numbers based off the Kheldian chassis and incorporating my own ideas for something that I would absolutely love to play.

Spectre'd have fit in perfectly as a Hellfire Elementalist with some Dark procs slotted in her attacks and taking the Cognitive Interface once she reached Incarnate level.

In the process of doing this, I went over the Kheldians with a fine toothed comb. I turned up quite a few oddities, copy/paste errors, and lack of copy/pasting on powers that had been altered and been cloned for Kheld purposes, as well as attempted to track down the origin of each Kheldian power, so as to better understand how to make my own AT.

Interestingly enough, several of the things that I'd pointed out where fixed shortly thereafter, or had been fixed in the beta that was just on the precipice of going live.

I have those uploaded at the following addies if anyone wants to have a read:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42230002/CoH%20Stuff/Kheldian.doc
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42230002/CoH%20Stuff/Hellfire%20Elementalist%20Revised.doc

I rather like the Epic/Tertiary powersets I made for the HE, allowing to have glimpses of other AT's at epic levels.

That was another idea I had and worked into that, Kheldian Epic/Tertiary powersets based on the idea of having aspects of a superpowers creep in from the host's side. Essentially allowing a former Brute or Defender or something of the link that had acquired an energy being buddy to play a bit more like their "former" AT.

Yeah. All this stemmed from my little mental mashup of Sister Psyche and Ghost Widow.

If anyone has access to an easily searchable archive of the CoH forums, I would really like to get Spectre's proper bio back.

And with access to Dev pieces, I get her just a little bit more Widow-y with the proper Widow chestpiece and replace the Organic Armor gloves with the Fashion pieces that look a bit like Red Widow's, but aren't. I think Red's pieces (in the dev Icon as Widow) are a bit too ostentatious, and they have a weird reflection map that borks up any tinting I do.

I really like Spectre's Dev Icon look.

And I'll just share a few of what I think were my best costumes from the game. Here Ecstasy Wasp, my Katana/Willpower scrapper that never felt quite right. All the end game Lethal resistance made her feel so damned slow, despite on paper being an offensive and defensive powerhouse.

I-Assassin, what if Apple Computers produced a murderous android?

Plaguebunny, who is simultaineously laughable and yet absolutely terrifying.

Evil Necromancer-Paladin I played in a game of DnD.

The Devouree, who (along with her outfit) is/has been partially eaten by some sort of horrible disease/creature/goo. Probably the only time I've ever seen the Bridal skirt used for something aside from a bridal skirt.

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 01:13:21 AM »
Ouroboros would like you to think that they have their crystalline technology pretty well understood and controlled. That's why they don't normally introduce you to Mender Twitch even though he is one of the earliest recruits into the organization in the modern era. Yes it is certainly true that he survived the early experiments into mass and frequent time jumping, he definitely didn't loose *all* his limbs, and he can even still think and speak (with some difficulty). But he isn't exactly the poster image for a smooth trip through the Pillar.

microc

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 01:24:03 AM »

microc

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 07:06:30 PM »

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 10:09:32 PM »
Here's some of mine:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:33:01 PM by Kyriani »

Hyper Ai

• Underling
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 10:51:45 PM »
Here is one I slapped together shortly after Icon rolled out:

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 02:03:49 AM »
this may seem kind of noobie but how do you post pictures?...

microc

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 04:51:32 AM »
get a free photobucket or other image hosting account. then when you post copy the direct link into the post after you hit the image button you get the :\img twice...post your new link between the img and then click preview. if done right you will  see your image.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 06:52:24 AM »
Imgur.com is slightly better than photobucket, these days. :)
You don't need registration to use it, but if you register you can manage your uploaded pictures.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 09:12:00 AM »
For game stuff I tend to use my Ouroboros Portal account (a subsidiary branch of the Paragon Wiki).

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 08:38:39 PM »
You can also use dropbox. Just copy the pic into your public folder and copy the link and paste it into the post, highlight and then press the button next to the SP and you are golden!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!