Author Topic: Negative Article on Massively  (Read 43214 times)

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
Re: Negative Article on Massively
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2013, 05:07:49 PM »

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2013, 05:17:52 PM »
I prefer:
"Never argue with an idiot -  they will drag you down to their level and trump you with experience"
Nice one

Harermuir

• Minion
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2013, 07:03:07 PM »
I dont think it s mostly negative. The writer think there is close to no hope of the game being relauched. Well, he surely is right. And the call of Emett doesn't change a thing.

The point is that, even if there is very little hope in succedeed, there still be some reason to keep up the fight. The first is that little hope is not really the same as no hope. Second is that may let designer think that there is place for a spiritual successor for City of Heroes (there are some SWG-like which are being developped, and the IP was far more important for SWG that it is for COH, i think). And third, it support the fan base game which will eventually succeed in produced good spiritual successor.

On the Emett claim, now. The more I think of it, the more I m convince that Emett dont plan at all on relaunching the game. At the worst, it is a very in appropriate try to make public relation. Old player of COH will remains the poll that was made to let people think that cryptic care about what they were wanting. At the best (and i incline to this), Emett is only interesting in the IP. We know he love super heros games. CO is actually not performing well, aand with Neverwinter almost launched, he may be thinking that it is time to start thinking about a successor to CO (he may even already have convinced PWE to support the game). When the IP of the most successful super heros game, whose he has some strong bond to, is no longer in use, it seems a legitimate move to try to get a hold on it. I think that Emett want to talk with NCsoft about COH2 and not about COH.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2013, 03:13:56 AM »
I'm thinking more of an "Ark of the Covenant" moment where all the materials associated with the game is crated up, warehoused and then the paperwork is misplaced.

I was thinking more of NCsoft execs melting when they looked at the code.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2013, 04:30:44 AM »

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2013, 04:40:44 AM »
Exactly. There's relatively little chance of changing a unicorn's mind. If they're doing it for fun, then they're getting a kick out of making you angry and they'll never stop. And if they're doing it out of stubbornness, then there's nothing you can say because they're simply not listening.

What you have to do is talk, not to the unicorn, but to the other people reading it. Be positive and polite for them, because they're your best chance for a point to be heard. But if they see you acting just as negatively or rudely as the unicorn, they're not going to care which side is which. Because people who aren't involved in the conversation only see two sides: "worth listening to" and "not worth listening to".

Yep. This is exactly what I keep in mind while I'm "responding" to people who use flimsy, full-of-holes-and-leaking anecdotal evidence to explain why saving CoH is a bad idea. "Well a loved one died last year, so we should accept City of Heroes is gone for good." ... "Well one time these IT guys at my job lost ALL the data, so don't hold out hope for City of Heroes either!"

When I respond to those posts, it's not so much an opportunity to talk sense into the author, as it is an opportunity to mention to everyone else, for the millionth time, why it is still worth saving City of Heroes.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2013, 06:29:33 AM »
Yea! I'm a unicorn.

Well there isn't a bunch of idle servers with the code on them just waiting to be turned on again either as you suggested.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2013, 06:34:19 AM »
Yea! I'm a unicorn.

Well there isn't a bunch of idle servers with the code on them just waiting to be turned on again either as you suggested.
It is highly unlikely at this point, right.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2013, 09:03:13 AM »
No, that was harsh. You're not a unicorn. It was anecdotal though, you make it sound like every IT department in the world might be run by Azuria; and therefore, we should give up based on...yeah no. In this of all places, you can't expect people to mince words when you constantly rain on their parade. It doesn't matter if you're doing it with facts and figures or cats and memes. If someone writes a post saying how hard it was to lose City of Heroes, there you are with a chart or graph for them, like you're helping the blind to see. Don't take that as an attack. My best friend in the world has been doing this crap to me for years and I like him just fine. Doesn't mean I poop flowers every time he thinks he's right.

Look at this experiment. I wanted to know how slim our odds really are. I wanted to know how many of us are left and motivated to fund an advertising campaign, since we need to raise thousands of dollars for one. I decided to measure this in mouse clicks. How many clicks does it take for each individual to fund an advertising campaign? I don't know. They may have to click on their bank website a few times before clicking around on PayPal. They have to pull their credit card out of their wallet and type numbers in. They may have to get out of their chair if their wallet is sitting somewhere around their house. So it's an indirect measurement; but we can imagine that some typing and several clicks would be involved.

My experiment required two clicks. Maybe a few more for those without a Massively account.

I posted in several high-traffic communities/threads/channels for CoHers where they've ended up, and lured 24 participants in 24 hours. That's no flash mob. Just imagine what a mail-in campaign really looks like behind the scenes.

Here's another way to imagine our odds. Let's say I fly 24 people with me to NCSoft's headquarters and stand in front of their building for 24 hours, wearing Atlas Park 33 t-shirts and holding torches. (Unlit, of course--don't think we'd make it 24 hours otherwise.) Do you think they'd turn the servers back on or sell the game? We have 24 people, after all.

Yeah, me neither.

See, I'm not blind. Odds are that you'll get to tell all of us that you were right; but you'll never be able to convince people that City of Heroes wasn't worth fighting the odds for. It improved on many peoples lives. And if there was even a small chance of saving a game (or a book, or a TV show, or a device, or a person) like that, one shouldn't always listen to the guy whispering doubts in their ear. It's good to measure your chances when you're going up against the odds; lingering in doubt, not so much.

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2013, 03:58:21 PM »
No, that was harsh. You're not a unicorn. It was anecdotal though, you make it sound like every IT department in the world might be run by Azuria; and therefore, we should give up based on...yeah no. In this of all places, you can't expect people to mince words when you constantly rain on their parade. It doesn't matter if you're doing it with facts and figures or cats and memes. If someone writes a post saying how hard it was to lose City of Heroes, there you are with a chart or graph for them, like you're helping the blind to see. Don't take that as an attack. My best friend in the world has been doing this crap to me for years and I like him just fine. Doesn't mean I poop flowers every time he thinks he's right.

Look at this experiment. I wanted to know how slim our odds really are. I wanted to know how many of us are left and motivated to fund an advertising campaign, since we need to raise thousands of dollars for one. I decided to measure this in mouse clicks. How many clicks does it take for each individual to fund an advertising campaign? I don't know. They may have to click on their bank website a few times before clicking around on PayPal. They have to pull their credit card out of their wallet and type numbers in. They may have to get out of their chair if their wallet is sitting somewhere around their house. So it's an indirect measurement; but we can imagine that some typing and several clicks would be involved.

My experiment required two clicks. Maybe a few more for those without a Massively account.

I posted in several high-traffic communities/threads/channels for CoHers where they've ended up, and lured 24 participants in 24 hours. That's no flash mob. Just imagine what a mail-in campaign really looks like behind the scenes.

Here's another way to imagine our odds. Let's say I fly 24 people with me to NCSoft's headquarters and stand in front of their building for 24 hours, wearing Atlas Park 33 t-shirts and holding torches. (Unlit, of course--don't think we'd make it 24 hours otherwise.) Do you think they'd turn the servers back on or sell the game? We have 24 people, after all.

Yeah, me neither.

See, I'm not blind. Odds are that you'll get to tell all of us that you were right; but you'll never be able to convince people that City of Heroes wasn't worth fighting the odds for. It improved on many peoples lives. And if there was even a small chance of saving a game (or a book, or a TV show, or a device, or a person) like that, one shouldn't always listen to the guy whispering doubts in their ear. It's good to measure your chances when you're going up against the odds; lingering in doubt, not so much.
As long as NCSoft knows that people are interested in the property, they will keep the price sky-high, and keep the strings attached which will prevent a sale.

The irony here is that the more people fight to keep NCSoft aware that yes, they want this property, the less likely they will be to sell it.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2013, 04:26:24 PM »
As long as NCSoft knows that people are interested in the property, they will keep the price sky-high, and keep the strings attached which will prevent a sale.

The irony here is that the more people fight to keep NCSoft aware that yes, they want this property, the less likely they will be to sell it.

When there is one supply+ bunch of demand=Sky high price.

When there is one supply+ little demand= super low price.

Supposed we pull back, and let them come to us (and us I mean them going to find a buyer whether it's Google or Disney or what.). When the demand goes down, the price tend to drop. But when you have the likes of Google even looking interested, then they could keep the price as high as they want with a yarn ball full of strings. because in their mindset we came to them and want what they have not them came to use trying to rid of something they dont want.

Either course of action is fine with me as they each have their ups and downs and might work or not work either way.   

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2013, 04:31:39 PM »

It's this kind of circular reasoning that can be so discouraging. It would be nice if there were some way to cast NCSoft as petulant children who have capriciously taken away a toy and won't give it back, without us looking petulant in the process. It would weaken their footing in the above argument.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2013, 04:34:25 PM »
It's this kind of circular reasoning that can be so discouraging. It would be nice if there were some way to cast NCSoft as petulant children who have capriciously taken away a toy and won't give it back, without us looking petulant in the process. It would weaken their footing in the above argument.
There is a way, support the Plan Z projects. "Fine, you can keep your toy, we're playing with this new, shinier toy over here...."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2013, 04:40:54 PM »
There is a way, support the Plan Z projects. "Fine, you can keep your toy, we're playing with this new, shinier toy over here...."
yup

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2013, 08:21:17 PM »
We are passionate about City of Heroes because it afforded the opportunity for a unique community to form and, unlike many other games, often brought out the better angels of our nature.  And we had a helluva good time playing it. 

I get puzzled when vitriol is spilled in response to a blogger's column.  If we are heroes and this is what we do,  then give someone who sees our passion and our hopes as something to "move on from" simple respect for his opinion and continue our own efforts to save/revive CoH.  You can disagree with anyone on any subject.  Talk is cheap.  Channeling our passion and love into sweat equity, making positive statements about this game- that's going to regain our home for us, in one way or another. 

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #135 on: April 15, 2013, 05:34:33 AM »

I am totally on board with this, but at the moment I'm limited to sitting on the sidelines and admiring the efforts from afar. I'm normally OK with that, but I'm starting to get "itchy." Since I'm currently baffled by formatting text inside a frame, I'm not much help to the actual team, and, if I'm reading it right, what they could use more of is coders.

So, as I blow the dust off my old HTML books and try to knock some rust out of the gears, know that I do support the Plan Z effort. In spirit, ATM. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #136 on: April 15, 2013, 06:00:35 AM »
I am totally on board with this, but at the moment I'm limited to sitting on the sidelines and admiring the efforts from afar. I'm normally OK with that, but I'm starting to get "itchy." Since I'm currently baffled by formatting text inside a frame, I'm not much help to the actual team, and, if I'm reading it right, what they could use more of is coders.

So, as I blow the dust off my old HTML books and try to knock some rust out of the gears, know that I do support the Plan Z effort. In spirit, ATM. :)
Know how to manage a Drupal site?

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #137 on: April 15, 2013, 10:09:46 AM »

I know how to manage Joomla. I'm sure I can pick up Drupal.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #138 on: April 15, 2013, 11:50:27 AM »

I haven't the faintest clue what "Drupal" is outside of the context in which you just mentioned it (presumably some kind of code for web page management or something similar).

But am I weird that the first thing that popped into my head in regards to seeing both the word itself and said context was to think -

"This sounds exactly like the sort of word that would H.K. Rowling would come up with for a Wizarding World attempt at re-creating "the inter-tubes" - except magic based." 

:D

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2013, 01:31:06 PM »

I am NOT on board with this one.  Support BOTH Plan Z Projects, yes. I totally agree with this.  But to insinuate, even as a tactic, that either of these will "replace" COH?   no.

Besides, as I posted over on the site, I do believe this has grown a bit beyond simply trying to get NCSoft to release the game/IP.

I don't think, over all, that we are simply protesting about COH anymore...but rather putting the gaming companies on notice that we are starting to get tired of their practices!

One reason I support the Plan Z Projects is because I am hoping that neither of them will adhere to the current practices.

After COH, I swore that I would not subscribe to any game that did not give me at least a minimal amount of offline ability...so that when the game eventually died....I would still have something to show for my money.

We have seen games closed (isn't NCSoft known as an MMO Killer?)  leaving players with nothing.

On that site, I have been criticized for part of my comment...rather than not caring about how my actions affect players of other games, I should be Empowering them (in my neck of the woods, we call that enabling, not empowering).

The chances that we will get our game back?  Not good. I never expect to see it again beyond what SEGS can recreate.  But I can hope.   And I can continue to be be a voice against companies that continue to hold players hostage to their whims.
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne