Author Topic: History repeats itself  (Read 8791 times)

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
Re: History repeats itself
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2012, 08:14:26 PM »
the DOPE (defender of primal earth) badge was indeed given for their load balancing test

the initial badge was only given out on freedom for a period of like 4 hours,  the badge itself i believe did return in the form of various events across all of the servers

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2012, 08:22:13 PM »
I wouldn't put it past people to quickly log in and say their goodbyes, and then log off silently into the night during the last 24 hours of the games life. I honestly wouldn't. And that fact that former subscribers could log in at *any* point makes that even more likely to happen.

The only thing I would dispute is that 100,000 were there at *any one singular* point in time. I find it more likely to be as previous posters have said, of around the 15-25K at the *very* end (well last couple of hours), with the vast majority having said their good byes at some point in the preceeding weeks.

I didn't mean that, basically people teamed all evening GMT then went to bed at say 1am and weren't on at  the 8am end. Also a number of americans seemed to either go out for the evening and not return or flake out before the 3am eastern time close.

I agree that 100K at one time is very unlikely. Also many of the subscribers will be people with multiple accounts, I know I didn't have my second account logged in at the end, don't know what other people with multiple accounts did, but the people behind those accounts were online.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2012, 08:25:20 PM »
I know I account for two of those "pure" f2p accounts on top of my "real" account. I made the first f2p account to see what that side was like (as I was doing with all the then-available f2p games; there was a quick succession of f2p games that years, as you'll recall), and the second was the one I made for my son at the beginning of the summer.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2012, 08:42:03 PM »
The Atlas Parks of Virtue crapped themselves once (I wasn't in AP at the time and didn't get kicked). The entirety of Virtue crapped itself twice. It never went 100% down [[EDIT: Until a couple minutes before the end]], so maybe a few people were able to stay on, but there weren't enough APs for 1500 people in the queue to be only in AP every time.

It is basically guaranteed that there was not 100,000 people there. It's very unlikely that 50,000 people were there. It's possible 25,000+ people were there. It is very likely that 15,000+ people were there. It's basically guaranteed that 10,000+ people were there.
Rikti War Zone went down 3 times between midnight and 2am EST -- a tad brutal as I was running SSA1.7 which  takes took place there.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2012, 08:46:44 PM »
the DOPE (defender of primal earth) badge was indeed given for their load balancing test

Thinking is hard on the weekend :o

*crawls back into bed*

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2012, 09:06:13 PM »
server capacity was IIRC upped just before freedom

Actually, I didn't know about the one before Freedom. The one I'm thinking of was a long long long time ago (while I was working in a call center, which is going on 5 years ago now) so I think that puts it around the time of Going Rogue.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2012, 12:29:37 AM »
Was it really only 2 years ago??? Wow seems so much longer.

Ok, so the only thing I'm sure of is that I was still at the call center when this happened.