Author Topic: Ugly then... But with a Fresh Coat of Nostalgia...  (Read 19335 times)

Colette

• Elite Boss
Re: Ugly then... But with a Fresh Coat of Nostalgia...
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2013, 06:11:01 PM »
I found that PBAoE's sometimes took down the guys hiding in walls. Sometimes.

And sometimes knockback would put the bad guys through the walls. Frustrating.

Didn't the MM pets get a change so they'd move out of a Players' way? Or was it generally agreed-upon never to invite more than one MM?

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2013, 06:29:58 PM »
Tsoo sorcerers with their hurricane hula hoops, porting in and out used to drive me mad.

Specially when I was soloing and there were two of the damn things porting in and out and healing each other up.  Ugh.
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2013, 07:19:05 PM »
Before you could buy a jetpack, I stubbornly mapped out the zulu zones with a super jumper....

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2013, 09:38:56 PM »
Around launch when you couldn't go 2 minutes someone inviting you to a team. Missions and street sweeping were intermixed. Teams would stay together for hours doing whatever came up on someone's mission list or just roaming, hitting PP, etc.

3. The 5th Column caves, damn Valkyries would show up just when you didnt' need them to, and sometimes in the walls shooting at you but you couldn't fight back.

Avoiding Science origin Tanker and Scrapper characters because you'd get Vahzilok sewer missions from your initial contact, where you didn't have the room to kite the zombies and had to stand there at melee range while they puked on you.

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2013, 09:45:31 PM »
Didn't the MM pets get a change so they'd move out of a Players' way? Or was it generally agreed-upon never to invite more than one MM?
Mastermind pets that the MM could order out of the way anyway were changed to get out of the Mastermind's way (and only the Mastermind's way, they still obstruct the team) with the result that Masterminds had less reason to remember to move them out of doorways. All other pets remained as obstructive as ever.

It was kind of backward.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2013, 09:55:01 PM »
Oh dear! I never saw a team made up of many, many MMs. In tight spaces it must have been a fright.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2013, 10:27:01 PM »
Before you could buy a jetpack, I stubbornly mapped out the zulu zones with a super jumper....

I cleared out almost all of the fog in every Shard zones with each of my first 5 characters.  It was mind numbing, but I did it on early weekend mornings when there wasn't much going on.  I had Fly, though, so I just pointed myself in a direction and then perused the forums for a bit until turn around.  I figured out how to not accidentally gain or lose altitude (which hits the invisible zone top or bottom that'll auto-teleport me back to the starter island). 
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2013, 10:47:30 PM »
I wouldn't even mind lag...as long as I could play
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

doctorlurkin

• Boss
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2013, 12:40:19 AM »
Maybe it was just me, but I always had a severe drop in accuracy from early 20's to upper mid 20's levels. I mean severe fiery crash n' burn into Death Valley quicksand drop.  To the point of 6 out of 7 powers fired would miss. And with accuracy slotted.  Using inspirations could improve to about 3 out of 7, but it still sucked, to the point I stopped playing some toons. Then about level 27 or so, it would just clear up. Drove me nuts.

Also, that my MM pets would run right up and block me when I was trying to target something. I was always hoping that something would be done so they would stop 6 feet behind me or so, I even asked about it once.

But I would happily put up with it again just to be able to play!
I'm not really a doctor, but I've played one on Television!

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2013, 01:33:49 AM »
Maybe it was just me, but I always had a severe drop in accuracy from early 20's to upper mid 20's levels. I mean severe fiery crash n' burn into Death Valley quicksand drop.  To the point of 6 out of 7 powers fired would miss. And with accuracy slotted.  Using inspirations could improve to about 3 out of 7, but it still sucked, to the point I stopped playing some toons. Then about level 27 or so, it would just clear up. Drove me nuts.

Yeah I noticed this too but didnt want to get into it with someone saying "it's impossible" and etc because they never experienced so I didnt bother mention it. Good to know it wasnt just all in my head. One of the large main reasons I left in 2011. Got tired of the whiffing and I'm supposed ot be a super hero. Felt like those goons in the movies. Shooting 100s of rounds and hitting nothing. In CO I dont have to worry about it acc. chance hit rolls or what ever other funky crazy math "formula" they used. Just glad to know someone else noticed this too.

Primantis

• Minion
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2013, 01:59:10 AM »
I always played the melee classes. Loved 'em. Loved "bodyguarding" the squishies.

Now I wanna be part of an all corr team, with the difficulty levels set higher and higher as we go. Do such teams need a tanker to take down an AV, or do the buffs make 'em all unstoppable?

Today I miss this game more than I ever thought I would.

All corrs/defenders team were massively destructive. They were some of the most fun teams I have ever had the pleasure to be a part of.. And mine were just by mere luck. Teams like "Repeat Offenders" really ripped the game a new one.

doctorlurkin

• Boss
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2013, 04:29:44 AM »
Well, now I know that I haven't gone loopy... yet.
I'm not really a doctor, but I've played one on Television!

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2013, 08:40:14 AM »
"Maybe it was just me, but I always had a severe drop in accuracy from early 20's to upper mid 20's levels."

"Yeah, I noticed this too."

Yes, you're right. The solution's to take Tactics before 20, even if END won't let you run Maneuvers or Assault. Slot for END reduction and you never have to worry about missing again, even against those pesky Thorn ghosts. I'm just sorry I couldn't share that with y'all earlier, when it would have been helpful.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 09:05:38 AM by Colette »

redgiant

• Lieutenant
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2013, 10:52:40 AM »
Eh, after playing FFXI for years (where travel time would range from 15 minutes to an hour, depending on the situation/luck with airships), travel time has always felt super quick in CoH.

Hell, by the time you traversed from one end of a major city to the other in FFXI you probably could have traveled through several consecutive zones on CoH, using Sprint! xD.

Regardless, that did get irritating. Especially running legacy content.

Two words ... West Karana

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2013, 01:42:29 PM »
Two words ... West Karana
Oh man, that immense forested mountain pass.  Yes, I remember that zone.  Thank God for wizards and their teleports.  Ahh, nostalgia - I remember my days of running a taxi-wizard service.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2013, 04:23:55 PM »
Oh what I would give to wander through the biggest, most boring CoT map with a fender...

Brings new meaning to the Battle Axe powerset.

SKEWLINES

• Underling
  • Jack-In-Irons
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2013, 05:20:28 PM »
Started in issue 2 with a noob build on a Inv/mace tank that I didn't know I needed status protection with Unyielding. Absolutely hated Tsoo combo of Yellow ink men and Tsoo Sorcs. They would sleep my tank then when I would awake I couldnt hit anything because of the Sorcs Hurricane PBAoE debuff. I must have tried to kill for 5 minutes one grouping of those two.

Completing that old Tsoo map with the ink man Buddah was sweet when I finally did it though. I would love to play that one more time  :(
-Phrendon Largo
founder of A.G.O.N.Y. on Victory Server

Primantis

• Minion
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2013, 11:10:22 PM »
Statescrotch

'Nuff said.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2013, 11:17:43 PM »
Oh dear! I never saw a team made up of many, many MMs. In tight spaces it must have been a fright.
Yup, but on the last two mission of an ITF a 8 MM team was the very definition of awesome.
I ran one of those, 7x demons and 1 bots. (the former) Lag valley was a blast, watching our giant horde tear through those poor traitors ;D

btt, exploding mages and zombies...bane of most of my low lvl toons.
Wouldn't really mind seeing those again.

and would probably go instantly back to hating 'em :P
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2013, 11:18:12 PM »
Oh, the tales I could tell - but I'm at work and only have time for one:

Sometime back around the launch of CoV, I somehow ended up on an all-defender team in Bloody Bay.  The leader had Team Teleport, allowing all eight of us to move and fire as a unit.  It was... impressive, and the closest I've ever been to the Offenders experience.

EDIT:  Regarding an accuracy falloff around 20 - a lot of it is perceptual, of course, but I seem to recall hearing of an actual coded "beginner's luck" buff (meant to compensate for the nigh-uselessness of TOs, and not wanting to drive off new players) that was supposed to end about that time.  Can Arcana or someone else who's delved into the code and/or the numbers confirm or deny this?