Author Topic: Status Update (October 2)  (Read 98466 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: Status Update (October 2)
« Reply #200 on: October 03, 2012, 01:50:37 PM »
Was that the AOL billing thing?

EDIT: Oh,the NEW NWN debacle. Sorry. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

cygnata

• Minion
« Reply #201 on: October 03, 2012, 01:51:20 PM »
Right around GenCon 2006. NWN2 was coming out, and Atari was publicly saying they'd still give us new stuff for NWN1. Instead, they told the dev team to stop all work immediately, but that the public was NOT to be told. It backfired dramatically.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #202 on: October 03, 2012, 01:52:14 PM »
Huh. I heard nothing about that one. Weird.

Fansy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #203 on: October 03, 2012, 01:54:17 PM »
You! Yes you!
Right there!
You!
Stop what you are doing, and get to singing! Well, note holding. Spread the message that NCsoft holds no grounds and their little scare tactic (of a message) means little to nothing. Bring in more support, sing a crippling blow to NCsoft's agenda!

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #204 on: October 03, 2012, 01:54:33 PM »
Was that the AOL billing thing?

He's talking about the 2002 Bioware game, not the 1991 AOL MMO, I think.

cygnata

• Minion
« Reply #205 on: October 03, 2012, 01:56:40 PM »
I was a NWCon organizer, the one in charge of monitoring the DevChats. It's part of the reason NWN2 never really caught on, and why Bioware finally said "frak it" and moved onto Dragon Age. CoH has publicity on its side. (And yes, I mean the Bioware version, not AOL. I did hear many things about the AOL one, however.)

... And Cygnata means "Lady Swan." Hint hint. ;)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #206 on: October 03, 2012, 01:57:49 PM »
Yeah, I wished I'd checked before showing my age.  :P

<quietly shuts off Pool of Radience>
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

cygnata

• Minion
« Reply #207 on: October 03, 2012, 01:59:32 PM »
Nothing wrong with that! ;) I figured more people might know about the recent FUBAR involving NWN, since the MMO isn't as well known.

Blacjac84

• Minion
« Reply #208 on: October 03, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »
You! Yes you!
Right there!
You!
Stop what you are doing, and get to singing! Well, note holding. Spread the message that NCsoft holds no grounds and their little scare tactic (of a message) means little to nothing. Bring in more support, sing a crippling blow to NCsoft's agenda!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBnSWJHawQQ

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #209 on: October 03, 2012, 02:01:30 PM »
 :(

Tell me I'm not the youngster in this group. >_>

It's a weird feeling I have when at work, too; I'd been in college so long, I'd started feeling like the grown-up. But now I'm most definitely the kid again. ^^;

Blacjac84

• Minion
« Reply #210 on: October 03, 2012, 02:03:25 PM »
:(

Tell me I'm not the youngster in this group. >_>

It's a weird feeling I have when at work, too; I'd been in college so long, I'd started feeling like the grown-up. But now I'm most definitely the kid again. ^^;

We're all kids at heart.

Hell, some of us refuse to grow up.  ;)

cygnata

• Minion
« Reply #211 on: October 03, 2012, 02:03:32 PM »
I'm 31... I was 18 when you joined The Gathering PBeM. You can't be THAT much younger than me.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #212 on: October 03, 2012, 02:05:31 PM »
I was never in that PBEM; I didn't do any online gaming until three years after that. I was in another one, set in Ranoc, with you though, about 4-5 years later.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #213 on: October 03, 2012, 02:06:22 PM »
We're all kids at heart.

Hell, some of us refuse to grow up.  ;)
I always thought it odd that Toys 'R' Us never used Peter Pan to sing their jingle, even when I was a little kid and their commercials were new (to me, at least).

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #214 on: October 03, 2012, 02:26:50 PM »
I don't buy into this mindset that some CEO should be rewarded and not questioned for doing bad at his job like as if all these things we bought were gifts from them.

Ideally, as I understand it (and please correct me if my understanding is flawed), the Neo-Confucian ideal that motivates the "top-down" command structure is one that mirrors the old Western social philosophy of "noblesse oblige": both are philosophies held by their respective cultures in less democratic eras of history that reinforced two notions. First, those without power were expected to implicitly trust those that had power. Secondly, those with power were expected to make wise decisions that protected those beneath them.

I know noblesse oblige colors contemporary Western thought in subtle ways. As a resident of the American South, I can vouch for the continued presence of "sacred hospitality," particularly toward those beneath you in the social hierarchy and particularly by those in positions of authority. To other residents of America, hopefully I need say nothing else about the area's past interactions with its own citizens of lower socioeconomic strata. (Talking about those times troubles me.)

The analogue, roughly, would be the combination of ren (which includes those above acting with beneficience to those below) and li (which emphasizes acting with propriety at all levels, including when interacting with those above you socially). What I don't know is the extent to which these influence modern Korean thought. I know they were embraced wholeheartedly--if somewhat secularly--during the Joseon Dynasty,  which ended after the American Civil War. Again, to those that live in America, hopefully I need say little more about the echos of that event in modern times.

Plug: for a Western writer's take on some of the issues during Joseon Korea, I recommend the visual novel Analogue: A Hate Story on Steam. I came across it after constructing my own criticism of the South's spotty human rights record in a similar speculative setting with a character in a little game called City of Heroes.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #215 on: October 03, 2012, 03:12:14 PM »
It might be worth it to all of you to take a look at what I was able to datamine off the net last night as far as several key Korean ideals/concepts/philosopies:

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5449.0.html

T-Manster

• Underling
« Reply #216 on: October 03, 2012, 03:17:28 PM »
So what is their price? If they really can't find a buyer, then maybe they would "fire sale" the product. With a known number, a crowd sourcing buyout might be more achievable.
TR

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #217 on: October 03, 2012, 03:19:47 PM »
I doubt this is the right place to post this HOWEVER I'm hopeful TonyV, Mr W and others will see this here.  Community Action Ideas from CoH Official Forum, copied with the original poster's permission, Rubberlad, from:  http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?p=4408722&posted=1#post4408722  Thread Title: Dear NCSoft Executives.... YOU'RE FIRED!

[Quote from Rubberlad]
You want a call to action? Here's your call to action:

Start sending emails to NCsoft's shareholders (including Nexon), to the media (including the Wall Street Journal), and to anyone else in Korea that will listen. List out the names of the NCsoft executives that are jeopardizing the company's ability to be profitable - and make it very clear that these individuals singlehandedly SANK NCsoft's profits and put the company's bottom line at risk BEFORE they pulled the plug on a profitable game like City of Heroes -- thereby making an already bad situation even worse. To leave the current executive leadership in charge means further jeopardizing the shareholder's investments and the company's ability to remain profitable. GET RID OF THEM!

Make your letters short, sweet and to the point! Not sure who to name? Look here: http://investing.businessweek.com/re...cker=036570:KS

It's time to stop talking to BAD MANAGEMENT that's struggling to save face and start talking to the other players in the industry who can implement *positive* changes to remove bad management... Maybe then we'll get someone at the top who will listen and reconsider our stance on City of Heroes and Paragon Studios. We CANNOT be nice anymore! So let's take some names and demand their removal...

Sun Tzu wouldn't expect anything less and neither should we!
[signature line = Last edited by Rubberlad; Today at 09:40 AM. Reason: See my post #7 for additional talking points and public information sources. ]
[END QUOTE]

I think there's some good discussion in this new thread started by Rubberlad (or I'd not have posted this here).  I'd like to see this idea discussed and integrated into ongoing Save CoH community action IF wiser and more expert action leaders on Titan endorse Rubberlad's proposal.

Additionally, on another thread I read natter, perhaps semi-serious that one tactic would be to work to bankrupt NCSoft so that they'd be forced to liquidate ALL assets, including the CoH IP.  I don't have  the business acumen to know if this is even remotely feasible and am personally interpreting this as Venting/Wishful Thinking with more than a touch of Revenge Fantasy.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #218 on: October 03, 2012, 03:28:38 PM »
All ideas I would normally jump on board with, johnrobey, but I suggest reading the "kibun" thread that just recently was posted.

That said, these ideas still have merit! We should, however, adjust the strategy a little. The "dance" in these letters needs to leave an out, leave room to demonstrate that not only do we care about NCSoft and its executives' kibun, but that we are seeking to directly salvage it and give them a chance to elevate, rather than shamefully damage, our own.

We still need to stay strong. But apparently, to the Korean mindset, gentle couching of the aggression is not the weakness it would be seen as to Western (and especially middle eastern) mindsets. So...be strong, be firm, but be - more than polite - ever-willing to open the door to mutual good-feelings if only they will also participate.

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #219 on: October 03, 2012, 03:34:04 PM »
In light of this stuff, I think I'm most interested in hearing how progress is going on the private server stuff.  That seems to be the best bet for the game to continue on, even if it means no additional content for CoH ever again.  Though I'd be even happier if people also figured out how to add new powersets or contacts to the game, at least there'd be Mission Architect for people to make more stuff to do as long as there's still people around to play it.

I'd just really like to have some info on how it's going.
green hair