Author Topic: Game broke? Server perhaps?  (Read 2138 times)

Mistress Bloodwrath

• Boss
  • Femme Fatale
Game broke? Server perhaps?
« on: September 20, 2015, 01:53:20 AM »
Well, something peculiar happened and it appears somehow related to the new "content." Just now, I went to talk to that guy that that Onslaught mission tells you to talk to as soon as you enter Millennium City. So I talked to him, he had a blurry icon over his head (way to go, Cryptic) and I got a few measly resources for the trouble. Not interested in punking people who don't want to be punked, I immediately left to go do other things that I wanted to do back in Lemuria. So on the way back to the Super Jet to get back to Monster Island, I noticed there were two files busily NOT patching, meaning 0 bytes per second or whatever the hell it says. As I zone to Monster Island, the game promptly hangs there. And stays roughly at 80% of the way while the two patch files continue to not download (still 0 bytes). Eventually I can't get the client to respond at all and frustrated, I tell task manager to close the thing.

Now I can't get the launchers for CO, STO, and Neverwinter to open... at all.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 03:58:22 AM by Mistress Bloodwrath »

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Re: Game broke? Server perhaps?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 02:14:30 AM »
Well, something peculiar happened and it appears somehow related to the new "content." Just now, I went to talk to that guy that that Onslaught mission tells you to talk to as soon as you enter Millennium City. So I talked to him, he had a blurry icon over his head (way to go, Cryptic) and I got a few measly resources for the trouble. Not interested in punking people who don't want to be punked, I immediately left to go do other things that I wanted to do back in Lemuria. So on the way back to the Super Jet to get back to Monster Island, I noticed there were two files busily NOT patching), meaning 0 bytes per second or whatever the hell it says. As I zone to Monster Island, the game promptly hangs there. And stays roughly at 80% of the way while the two patch files continue to not download (still 0 bytes). Eventually I can't get the client to respond at all and frustrated, I tell task manager to close the thing.

Now I can't get the launchers for CO, STO, and Neverwinter to open... at all.

Rumor in game is that the recent SNRs and disconnects are due to someone attacking the servers over a nerf in Neverwinter. Earlier this week Cryptic confirmed they were being hit with denial of service attacks. This might be another one.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 02:18:41 AM »
And apparently all three games are down, so it's either a denial of service attack or something bad happened to Cryptic's game server.

Mistress Bloodwrath

• Boss
  • Femme Fatale
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 03:50:36 AM »
Ah, so... the Neverwinter troll may be at it again. That would explain it. I think Cryptic/PWE needs to look at requesting legal action for these attacks.

Mistress Bloodwrath

• Boss
  • Femme Fatale
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 05:06:36 AM »
Aaaallll right. Seems the issue was Cryptic's DNS records going poof. I mean gone. Missing. Disappeared. Not there. Meaning, our computers didn't know what to grab since the records weren't there to tell them.

So, not a DDoS, but I suspect it's related anyway... on a totally new level of ACTUAL hacking. The Neverwinter Twittering DDoS troll today hinted that he was doing something: https://twitter.com/NeverWinterGod/status/645324627246469124

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 01:53:03 PM »
Rumor in game is that the recent SNRs and disconnects are due to someone attacking the servers over a nerf in Neverwinter.

This is a very bad thing this person is doing and should not be applauded in any way, but, due probably to how I feel about CO nerfs atm, I guiltily lol'd. (I didn't know the nerf part before).
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 11:45:51 PM »
Disable on-demand patching if you haven't already.

Everything looks clean to me here.
Spess

Mistress Bloodwrath

• Boss
  • Femme Fatale
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 02:06:04 AM »
Disable on-demand patching if you haven't already.

Everything looks clean to me here.

That's because this happened yesterday and it was a DNS problem: As in, Cryptic had NO DNS records. It was fixed last night.

And I'm not going to sit through that huge patch.