Author Topic: Likelihood of an NCSoft Presence?  (Read 8338 times)

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
Likelihood of an NCSoft Presence?
« on: April 03, 2013, 04:16:17 PM »
I'm not trying to start a flame war or have people pointing fingers at individuals on here who seem to support NCSoft's ideas.  I'm not looking to start some conspiracy theory or tin-foil-hat group.

I am putting a simple, single question forward.

Do you, as a contributor on Titan who wants City of Heroes back, feel that NCSoft potentially has someone working as a member of these forums, having an account but silently lurking to gather information and to watch?

That is all.  Just a curiosity that hit me this morning.  A simple yes or no with a logical reason for or against is fine.

EDIT TO ADD: Oooooo, my hundredth post!  :)

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
Re: Likelihood of an NCSoft Presence?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 04:23:01 PM »
I think they'd be stupid if they didn't but hey, they closed CoH and are refusing to sell the IP and make money, they ARE stupid...

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 04:29:05 PM »
Do you, as a contributor on Titan who wants City of Heroes back, feel that NCSoft potentially has someone working as a member of these forums, having an account but silently lurking to gather information and to watch?

Nope. We're just not that important to them.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 04:34:05 PM »
It's a public forum, they wouldn't need an account to watch.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 04:50:39 PM »
No.

Hey stop looking at me.  >:(
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

okami

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 04:57:17 PM »
Even if they don't it's safer to assume they do.

Once Wildstar is up and on its way to getting the unexpected axe they really won't have much reason to watch beyond routing out pirate servers.

Now useful idiots, on the otherhand, will be a perpetual thing.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 05:07:07 PM »
I doubt it. I dont think a public forum like this is something they would pay someone to watch. While they probably know of it from the savcoh and titan network "stamp" on most things save coh from at least posted on their own forum, I doubt they are going out their way. Plus there is nothing for them to gain here that they probably haven't already gathered from the angry letters, forum postings on the old forum, the angry(peaceful) postings on their facebook page or other released articles. To them we probably are nothing bunch of gamers feeling salty because they closed "their" game.

But if course you may have people acting on their own accord just as we are that may agree with ncsoft in this matter or feel in a different manner that us the popular way and expected way to feel and think and say. But everything has an opposite. For everyone person that is angry about the situation there is one that think that its just another day no big deal. And as humans do sometimes, both think their way is.more valid and right than the otherside instead of trying to be understanding.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 05:12:53 PM by JaguarX »

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 05:14:41 PM »
Not as such - no.

However most large companies have marketing people who research articles with their names on them. I would not be surprised for us to show up on hit lists in that way.

When they were closing - perhaps they came here to see how we were reacting - maybe.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 05:22:15 PM »

Maybe, maybe not.  I'm not too concerned about the possibility.  I kinda doubt they'd bother, but if they are, then I'm kinda flattered.

At any rate, if they are, they're doing it from home or some other non-corporate network location, as someone might have made some firewall changes a few months back...

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 05:39:29 PM »
Maybe, maybe not.  I'm not too concerned about the possibility.  I kinda doubt they'd bother, but if they are, then I'm kinda flattered.

At any rate, if they are, they're doing it from home or some other non -corporate network location, as someone might have made some firewall changes a few months back...
I made some firewall changes a few months back. The update was borking up my CO play. :-\

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 07:08:43 PM »
Hmm oddly I have to say I hope so.

Why that means someone in NCsoft paying attention.  If they are paying attention then they might think about doing something to boost PR like relaunch Coh.

Personal view is no.  They haven't shown much interest in the western player base other then how to get us to play one of the new games.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 07:09:23 PM »
It would have been interesting to see results if said change had been a monitor/tripwire. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Surelle

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 08:07:44 PM »
Nope. We're just not that important to them.

This.  And what Codewalker said:  It's a public forum, they wouldn't need an account to watch.

I think NCSoft realizes they have a worse reputation than ever for being game killers since they have shut down CoH, but let's face it, they're thousands of miles away, so they don't hear or see most of what goes on anyway nor do they really care.  Their core user base is in Asia, period.  I think we'd have to have a forum the size of Blizzard's official World of Warcraft forums and with that many users for them to even notice we're alive much less bother to lurk here.

I think it's more when the major gaming press outlets write about the closure of CoH that they wake up and notice.  That's why I think we're on the right track with sending Massively, Tentonhammer, MMORPG.com, etc., news flashes like the one about the recent PAX East MMO panel. 

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 08:27:54 PM »
We've impacted their PR. They have at least one account here, and they've likely done more than lurk. And that's simple math.

I realize that corporate shills and unicorns are still as believable as Slender Man to many people, but secrets like this are practically born to leak, and we're right on the cusp of this being household knowledge for gamers. Believe it now or believe it later, it's not a big deal to me.

Google is your friend. Pour a cup of coffee sometime and have fun. Start with EA, they've had some bad luck in recent months.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 10:44:04 PM »
I'm not trying to start a flame war or have people pointing fingers at individuals on here who seem to support NCSoft's ideas.  I'm not looking to start some conspiracy theory or tin-foil-hat group.

That is all.  Just a curiosity that hit me this morning.  A simple yes or no with a logical reason for or against is fine.

Do I think they monitor this site? No.

There simply is no reason to.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 11:03:46 PM »
NCSoft the company might not be watching but there may well be individuals acting alone that are watching.

Those rogue elements are always up to something.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 11:41:48 PM »
I know a couple that when they are talking (posting) there is nothing to worry about. But when they get quiet, they are up to something that is usually not good.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 11:57:31 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if they got a secret shopper type lurking around here.  Of course, they won't do anything to tip their hand.  I also doubt they'd shill for nc either.
No Surrender!

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 12:15:08 AM »
From my POV it's not a question if they're doing it, but rather whether they're just monitoring or attempting infiltration.
If they have accounts here, those would be active for a specific purpose (looking for info about the community server, for one)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 01:23:08 AM »
I honestly don't think they care about a server.

Aion has HUNDREDS of community servers, so do many of their other games. I really doubt they would do much of anything. I truly believe they are Ivory Tower executives.

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 01:48:38 AM »
Certainly if Star Wars Galaxies can go this long without it's private server being taken down(it's even a pre-NGE one, check it out sometime), City of Heroes would probably be in the clear.  As long as that server hosting stuff gets out to everyone via some sort of torrent, there's not really much NCsoft could do.  Even if they were paying attention.

Which I doubt they are.
green hair

emperorsteele

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 02:24:48 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if one of NCSoft's PR managers checked this place out, at least once in a while. I don't think they'd be interested in the Plan Z projects or the server emulation, but more whatever Hail Mary/Save Paragon City stunt we pull next. At the risk of sounding like we're all important and stuff, I'm fairly certain our collective efforts have hurt NCSoft's image both here and in their home base more than if we hadn't. You can't discuss NCSoft on any other forum without some former CoH player kvetching about our old game (and then mentioning Tabula Rasa and Auto Assault for good measure). Barely any article about NCSoft is published without a passing mention of their history of unceremoniously closing down games (where as before I barely ever saw any mention of TR or AA).

Granted, we haven't exactly had a devastating effect. Any effect our warnings have had were negligible or impossible to gauge or prove (maybe GW2 would have had 2x as many players if they hadn't heard about this mess... or maybe only 2 people total decided to pas on the game. No way to be certain). Still, when a company is getting bad-mouthed, it tends to be in their own interest to have someone in the know so that they are in the best position to counter any attacks or accusations.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 05:01:37 AM »
They aren't here because NCsoft is too busy selling storm doors to old ladies, pulling wings off butterflies, giving Black tar Heroin to children, taking bags of kittens to the lake, kicking puppies, blocking Wi-Fi at Starbucks, covering small ducks in sludge, making high interest loans in ghettos, thumbing down CoH videos on youtube, etc. >:(

Frostyfrozen

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 06:15:45 AM »
I want to say yes as it would mean they still think on us and we are a problem. But the fact we have not been subject to a Korean flame hack. Shows we are not. As they flame hack over Olympic judges rulings so non here. Petty well means were not looked apon'd.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 10:44:20 AM »
Its possible they are.  It probably doesn't mean anything if they are.  And if they have it is probably just "checking in" I don't think they are keeping an CIA style tabs though.  I don't think we have wheels that are moving or are big enough to get their attention.  All they would learn is that we are going to just keep trying to get the game back and I think they know that already.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 11:07:43 AM »
I've gotta agree that with how little they showed any care or respect for us beyond dollar signs, I don't believe they're watching.

I still think we should remain diligent not to do anything that could get Titan under fire, or potential efforts to save CoH in one form or another... but thats common sense.
Woo! - Argent Girl

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 12:23:17 PM »
In the beginning (post sunset announcement), I believe they did check the forum from time to time to see what the fans were up to.  There is little if anything they can do to stop us, so it's probably just a periodic check in to see if there are any plans to infringe on the IP.
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 12:29:04 PM »
They probably look in from time to time, but it's probably more and more rare as time passes (it may have stopped altogether by now)... and as TonyV insinuated, it's certainly not from a work computer.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
I don't think that the Titan network would be that high on their radar to require a dedicated spy.  Having said that, I believe that we are probably among a handful of sites that they occasionally monitor just to see which way the wind is blowing from time to time.

Probably most is not seen by human eyes....but keywords or phrases may flag something for further investigation.

We're just not important enough for them to be overly concerned.  After all, we aren't affecting their Asian markets...Just the Western one....no big deal to them.
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 03:51:08 PM »
at this point in time several months after shutdown no i dont think they would bother monitoring us anymore

at the peak of protest say after the shutdown announcement with the massive player outcry and stuff, they possibly could have been monitoring this site since it was a hub of where protest stuff was taking place

my guess is as soon as the shutdown date came they stopped bothering thinking that we all would move on

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 01:23:44 AM »
I think we'd recognize their foul stench as soon as they were on the boards.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 02:55:39 AM »
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 05:23:33 AM by Captain Electric »

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 03:55:55 AM »

I see what you did there

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2013, 05:02:25 AM »
If they never post, you'd never know.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2013, 05:07:00 AM »

They could also wear air fresheners around their necks.

>.>

<.<

That tree I wear is clearly an amulet of plant power!
Woo! - Argent Girl

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2013, 05:20:46 AM »

Well I know for a fact a few people are lurking but dont post. Some just checking for updates, some going Nemesis. None that I know are paid by anyone of NCSoft sort.

I dont think none are of worry but on the other hand I've been taught to never never under estimate the opposition. That is how forces that otherwise should of had victory i nthe bag end up defeated.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2013, 05:25:50 AM »
Great I totally missed a cool reference and ended up writing some dorky tl;dr  :-[

I mean, THAT never happens when I post!

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 06:20:41 AM »
At the core of many (not all) paranoid beliefs is a desperate desire to believe that one matters.  That one is important enough to be spied upon, plotted against, etc... rather than utterly insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
Just saying.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2013, 09:12:15 AM »
At the core of many (not all) paranoid beliefs is a desperate desire to believe that one matters.  That one is important enough to be spied upon, plotted against, etc... rather than utterly insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
Just saying.

Unless it was something bad, then it's hard to believe only one was behind it.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2013, 04:02:51 AM »
Sometimes it's more perversely comforting to believe in conscious, deliberate action with motive and plan (even if malevolent) rather than things just happening.  It makes the universe seem a little less random and arbitrary.  Gives people something or someone to blame.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2013, 04:24:37 AM »
If there is somebody watching us for NCSoft then HI THERE!

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your stay. Please feel free to enjoy our fine community atmosphere and our selection of wise, witty, and slightly sarcastic conversations. You'll find poets and singers, writers, artists, and a lovely cross section of humanity. If you feel the urge to join in, please feel free to do so. We just ask that you be polite and try not to start any trouble that does not need to be started.

As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2013, 04:27:32 AM »
If there is somebody watching us for NCSoft then HI THERE!

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your stay. Please feel free to enjoy our fine community atmosphere and our selection of wise, witty, and slightly sarcastic conversations. You'll find poets and singers, writers, artists, and a lovely cross section of humanity. If you feel the urge to join in, please feel free to do so. We just ask that you be polite and try not to start any trouble that does not need to be started.

...Oh, and call Jack!

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2013, 04:29:01 AM »
...Oh, and call Jack!

Oh yes, I forgot that. Please call Jack. I'm sure you have his number somewhere.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2013, 04:20:50 PM »

Congrats on 100, Tibbius.    Re: the OP, yes I think that potentially this situation could exist.  However, that would require intelligence and concern about the CoH community that I believe would be uncharacteristic and out of character for NCSoft.  As recently demonstrated, such intelligence and concern is "not in alignment" with their present corporate vision and goals.  To potential lurkers, I say Welcome!  Feel free to "spy" all you like on an open community (LOL).  To NCSoft execs (if ever they employed lurkers to report my words) I would like to offer the following utterance to be repeated by lurkers to NCSoft Execs:  FLY FREE!   ;)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2013, 12:57:39 AM »

Well if they are here lurking and spying I hope they report that thew customers they scorned  still have money they want  to spend on COH . And if COH does not reappear then on a spriritual successor. Sorry Co and DCUO are not that game.