Author Topic: NC Soft's motto: To Create A New World Where Happiness Connects All People  (Read 7537 times)

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
Saw this on facebook, http://www.facebook.com/ncsoft?rf=109733875718941.  JUST.  WRONG.  I'm afraid I made a sarcastic comment.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
They've had that for a long time now.  It's part of their mission statement, might have been for years.

The thing is mission statements are a goal.  Never said it was an attainable goal.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Risha

• Boss
Ok, I will say, Duh.  But I find it extremely ironic.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
It's an MMO game company.  Ideally that's what is suppose to happen.  They create a world that people connect to and if they like the game/world/population then they are happy, to a varying degree.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Risha

• Boss
I know about mission statements and personal mottoes, but, like shouldn't the executives keep them in mind?  All right, incredibly naieve...just burns me.  I am NOT happy.  They allowed me to co-create a world with them then they KILLED IT.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
I know about mission statements and personal mottoes, but, like shouldn't the executives keep them in mind?  All right, incredibly naieve...just burns me.  I am NOT happy.  They allowed me to co-create a world with them then they KILLED IT.
100% Sympathy, Risha!!!  That's how I felt when I first surfed into NCSoft's vision and mission statements.  Yes, it would be groovy/excellent/awesome for companies and executives to live up to their stated values.  When people and institutions do this, they thrive and do great things. When they don't, well, this is my limited perspective but what i've seen is short-tern gain reaped often by a small group at the expense of the larger group/everyone else and then the cycle of anger and exploitation starts again.  I guess if there is a moral it's don't invest your energy into hypocrisy or other forms of profiteering by deception - in my experience these harm even those who supposedly "win" tho I would argue that this form of Win-Lose is actually a variation on Lose-Lose, with differences in what was lost and at what cost and price.   ;) I hope this wasn't more words than you wanted to read to tell you that I sympathize and similarly also still feel burned.  Grrrrrrrr, NCSoft!!!!  I hope you have a really nice weekend despite this, Risha!  The last thing I want to do is give NCSoft the power over my own happiness.  I certainly refuse to give them the satisfaction of trashing my happiness simply so they could make money elsewhere.   8)

Modified for P.S.  I wanted to say I think your "Dancing at the End of the World" motto and avatar is really neat!!!!!    :)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Des_Tructive

• Lieutenant
  • SLAP!
    • Meta - Superhuman Covert Ops (german)
[sarcasm]
I don't know where your issue is.
They want to create new worlds, nobody ever said anything about maintaining them.
It's your own fault for jumping to that conclusion.
[/sarcasm]
CoX: @DeS Tructive
TSW: BloodyCarrie; HrFaust; TheContact

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
The forgot to add, "so long as we want it."  They should also we, "and, we'll milk it for cash if you like it but we don't."
No Surrender!

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
It's an MMO game company.  Ideally that's what is suppose to happen.  They create a world that people connect to and if they like the game/world/population then they are happy, to a varying degree.

....And then here they come with the headsman's axe..... *ASSASSIN STRIKE!*

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
I have yet to see a company or hospital live up to it's motto. Like one hospital, motto, "Quick and efficient care". Yet, people been hanging around the ER for hours, some look like they have one foot in the coffin. Not enough staff and not enough doctors on call thus basically nullifying their entire motto.

I took mottos of corporations like a normal person saying what they will do one day when they are monetary wealthy when 99.9% of them never will be monetary wealthy and or not making any sort of move towards living up to that motto. Like a few lines that sound good and make it look like a forward thinking company when in reality if you ask the average employee what is their company's motto, they wouldnt even be able to tell ya.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
I have yet to see a company or hospital live up to it's motto. Like one hospital, motto, "Quick and efficient care". Yet, people been hanging around the ER for hours, some look like they have one foot in the coffin. Not enough staff and not enough doctors on call thus basically nullifying their entire motto.
Clearly, they need more necromancers on staff.

...what? It's quick and efficient! And the patients are ambulatory! >_> <_<

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
Clearly, they need more necromancers on staff.

...what? It's quick and efficient! And the patients are ambulatory! >_> <_<
ROFL!!!!!   I can just see that hospital's motto:  We Don't Need Healers!  We Have NECROMANCY!!!!

Question: Under Necromantic Managed Care, am I brought back as a shambling, brain-hunting zombie or do I get the Premium package that included 1 of 9 Rings, a black horse, a black winged beast, and of course a dandy all-black custom uniform?   ;)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Sugoi

• Boss
ROFL!!!!!   I can just see that hospital's motto:  We Don't Need Healers!  We Have NECROMANCY!!!!

Question: Under Necromantic Managed Care, am I brought back as a shambling, brain-hunting zombie or do I get the Premium package that included 1 of 9 Rings, a black horse, a black winged beast, and of course a dandy all-black custom uniform?   ;)

Just don't pick fights with girls... Girls fighting is scary!!!

Segev

• Elite Boss

Our zombies don't eat brains. Ghouls, which do, retain their intelligence. We also have a special deal on lichdom if you buy your phylactery at our gift shop.

Sadly, we had to discontinue our offering of vampirism after one too many sexual harassment cases against our head of that department. We're hoping he doesn't include us in his counter-suit for discrimination against the non-sparkly. Really, the whole thing was a debacle, and we're glad to wash our hands of it.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Our zombies don't eat brains. Ghouls, which do, retain their intelligence. We also have a special deal on lichdom if you buy your phylactery at our gift shop.

Sadly, we had to discontinue our offering of vampirism after one too many sexual harassment cases against our head of that department. We're hoping he doesn't include us in his counter-suit for discrimination against the non-sparkly. Really, the whole thing was a debacle, and we're glad to wash our hands of it.
lmao

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
Just don't pick fights with girls... Girls fighting is scary!!!
LOL, Sugoi!!!!!  And very true!!  I am certain Eowyn would give me Achy-Breaky Heart and cause my undead heart to break!  Man, we Ring-Wraiths need a union or something...   ;)

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss

I just want to know do I need to sick or injured or can I just walk in healthy and still get the Premium package? 

That preventative care thing.  ya know?
No Surrender!

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
I just want to know do I need to sick or injured or can I just walk in healthy and still get the Premium package? 

That preventative care thing.  ya know?
IIRC, those Second Age Numenorean kings were able to get the Premium package while still 100% alive and healthy.     So, no reason you (or I) shouldn't be able to get the same deal, if we want it....    :P

Segev

• Elite Boss
It's merely a matter of cost-benefit analysis. We have only so many phylacteries for sale, and if there's high demand, we start auctioning them. If you're healthy, and bidding against people who need it to survive... well, motivation can really up bids.

That said, if you want it badly enough to be the highest bidder, or your timing is good (our off-season starts Nov. 1 and ends about Dec. 15)...we turn nobody way unless they can't pay.

(And we do have our...charity program. Same basic fashion statement as lichdom, but free! And we guarantee a good, steady job afterwards; we've never had a complaint from the patient.)

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
*light cig and takes a drag* Hmm I think I stick to being my good undead revenant self.  Besides I don't think my basic insurance will cover reanimation.

Ah speaking of such undead goodness... Zombie party at NCsoft HQ!  Snacks available... brains ... maybe not.  So BYOB  Bring your own brains.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
It's merely a matter of cost-benefit analysis. We have only so many phylacteries for sale...
Well, that is the Horcrux of the matter, isn't it?
That said, if you want it badly enough to be the highest bidder, or your timing is good (our off-season starts Nov. 1 and ends about Dec. 15)...we turn nobody way unless they can't pay.

(And we do have our...charity program. Same basic fashion statement as lichdom, but free! And we guarantee a good, steady job afterwards; we've never had a complaint from the patient.)
(attempts to role-play "Ingenue" level naivete)  Gee, no complaints!  Gosh, that must be a very good program!  Lichdom, as you know, can be get so expensive, what with ritual upkeep, demon tithing and all.  Plus with employment so uncertain these days having a steady job can be quite a boon!  Where do I make my appointment, or is there an online application?  BTW, I presume there is an option for Working One's Way Up To The Top(?)   I mean, I realize there are a lot of false pretenders  & other posers who think they have what it takes but true maniacal, evil genius doesn't grow on trees!   :D

(modified to correct grammatical error)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 07:31:45 PM by johnrobey »

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
*light cig and takes a drag* Hmm I think I stick to being my good undead revenant self.  Besides I don't think my basic insurance will cover reanimation.

Ah speaking of such undead goodness... Zombie party at NCsoft HQ!  Snacks available... brains ... maybe not.  So BYOB  Bring your own brains.
YaY for the Zombie party at NCSoft HQ!  I just adore Raw Food parties!!!  Yeah, i think you're right tho--they already let us know they didn't have enough brains 1. to recognize what they had; 2. to think LARGER (like GLOBALLY!!!) LIKE a BIG Grownup Corporation to see how the European and U.S. markets might in the long run be just as useful and valuable as the Chinese and other local Asian markets.  And the frosting on their cake (let's call this the Icing) is that they are Executive Elite, meaning people = money (rather than equaling people) and as Corporate Execs they are so fabulously important that even IF they saw they made a mistake (e.g. got all kissy-face and wanted to make up to the community) their egos won't let 'em.  If memory serves, Zombies got no use for egos, only intelligence....

I sure am looking forward to Plan Z and I still enjoy my dreams and recollections of City of Heroes/Villains/Praetoria, but hey the Dev team is scattered, yet many of the really KEWL people are still here hanging out on Titan Network forums.  (I also recently joined CoH Faces to see what that's about these days.)

/em holdtorch (and maybe pitchfork too, today.... )  Thanks for letting me ventilate, tho for this post I prob. should lose that line from Gandhi.  Ah well.  Watcha gonna do? Sue me?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 07:34:28 PM by johnrobey »

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss

The only brains worth eating there are the devs, sysadmins, and secretarial staff.  As for the execs, I think they could teach us a thing or two about consuming brains and zombie replication.

Never the less, as we mice say, "No Surrender!" * grabs her multi-function council based assault riffle *
No Surrender!

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.

They did a fantastic job on this...then they killed it  :gonk:
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Risha

• Boss
johnrobey, it's been a while since I've checked in, thanks for the comment about my icon...that is my last shot of COX, what froze on my screen as the servers went down...so I thought it appropriate to save and use.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
Even leaving CoH out of this... Korean MMO's are all about the PvP. When was the last time any of you saw a PvP-based MMO community that wasn't 95% flame wars?

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Even leaving CoH out of this... Korean MMO's are all about the PvP. When was the last time any of you saw a PvP-based MMO community that wasn't 95% flame wars?

uhhhhmmmm....Well there was this one game...wait nope...well how about...dang...There isnt any. Even in the little PvP of COX, which wasnt even the main focus it still was 95% flame in the pvp zones.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
uhhhhmmmm....Well there was this one game...wait nope...well how about...dang...There isnt any. Even in the little PvP of COX, which wasnt even the main focus it still was 95% flame in the pvp zones.
Which was one of the reasons that I avoid PvP in most games.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Illusionss

• Elite Boss

..... And on the forums! Remember the PvP forum on the boards? A more wretched hive of scum and villainy would be hard to find, and I played a lot of villains.

There were a few funny people in there, Xury was very funny and Reiraku was funny too; there were a few more people I liked. But in the main: stupidity and smack-talking, just like in the zones.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
Badge hunting in a PVP zone was miserable... very different shift in attitudes.

That said, I would still have loved PVP to get a makeover. Even if I'd have needed another toon to really enjoy it. Too many toons don't care if you drain out their Endurance...
Woo! - Argent Girl

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
I only went into the PvP zones on one character, and I only did it to log them off there for the Predator badge (and I only did that because I wanted the Combat Shield power that came with the Gladiator accolade).  I never actually participated in PvP.

Reiraku

• Boss
..... And on the forums! Remember the PvP forum on the boards? A more wretched hive of scum and villainy would be hard to find, and I played a lot of villains.

There were a few funny people in there, Xury was very funny and Reiraku was funny too; there were a few more people I liked. But in the main: stupidity and smack-talking, just like in the zones.

So, funny story.

Way back, long before CoH, I played EQ. Having no idea of how MMO's worked or how to play them, I quickly found out that you do not fall for the "free arrows in the arena" ploy. It took a LOT of deaths just to recover my corpse and get safe. That experience really soured me on PvP in MMO's.

So, fast forward to CoH. i4 is on the way and I'm actually looking forward to it. I really wanted to see how my heroes stacked up against others. It was hit or miss with me at first, but I didn't have anything that could really compete at a high level. By i6, I really got focused on playing and got into a villain group that had a number of regular PvP'ers. Siren's made it so much better.

I spent a lot of time PvP'ing since then. Zones, arena, kickball matches. I saw it all, and talked with everyone I could. And while there was trash talk, it wasn't from very many people. The main problem was the ones who did it were usually constant with it and REALLY bad at actual PvP. But the ones who were good, they were the nicest, most generous, and most helpful people in the game.

Most of them didn't bother with forums, or even have anything but team chat up half the time. You'd never see them in broadcast. If you sent them a tell though, they could spend hours giving advice on anything in the game (PvE or PvP) with a smile. And reading the forums, one could understand why they'd avoid it.

The forums at large hated PvP. One person would claim "bad attitudes and trash talk" then proceed to spend the next ten posts dodging the profanity filter just to trash talk PvP'ers. Another would unapologetically compare it to AIDS. One would call PvP'ers the worst kinds of people, then post about how the Germans were considered "heroes and liberators" in Poland in WW2. In the end, I saw more garbage thrown at PvP and PvP'ers from non-PvP'ers than I ever had in PvP. Not to mention all the blame PvP got for nerfs that even the devs specified on that not being the case, but people still claim because "they just KNOW".

What I said then is what I say now about it. There are jerks in PvE. There are jerks in PvP. Likewise, there are good people in both. The perception comes from how they affect you. If someone treats you like garbage in a PvP zone, it isn't because PvP'ers are jerks, but that guy is. If someone acts like a jackass on your TF, it isn't because PvE'ers are jerks. Just that guy. Just like how different sections of the forums had their "in-jokes", such as Virtue's Rookery, FG's Kitty Court. The PvP forums had theirs too, which often came across as malice to those who just passed by. Truth was, 99% of it was said and taken in good fun. When it came time for a match to start, it always began and ended the same way. "GL HF" and "GG".

TL;DR: PvP is good and has the best people. We also have huge PvPness.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
TL;DR: PvP is good and has the best people. We also have huge PvPness.

You made me crack up and feel the need to apologize for being a jerk in over generalization, so score two for your argument and its presentation :)

Truth be told I never really frequented the CoH forums much. Mainly because the only times I really saw stuff I wanted to read there was strategy, and any time things interesting seemed to come up there certain voices dominated the conversation in oftentimes ugly ways no matter the topic. Forums have always seemed to be toxic, with the exception of this one - which is why I'm still here after so long. Even when I ran a forum it didn't last long.

In some other games I've PVP'd, and I probably would have more in this game if I had a toon that would have had a chance to excel in such a field, and if everyone I knew wasn't constantly harping on how terrible it was in CoH. So, I formally apologise, and will say that the times I encountered rudeness in PvP more than elsewhere has to attribute to the fact that if you're going to be a jerk anywhere, doing it in a place where you can loudly scream "noob!" while blasting someone down,  it's going to sting more and be remembered more in PvP when said against a true PvP noob.

After all, I can recall other places I had similar said to me, but so few of them got to me, because they couldn't kill me, too. Touche :)

edit:

And it occured to me, just after I posted this... Let us all be Ps who P together, whether it be against E, or our fellow Ps in a friendly game of wits and QUICK SOMEONE CUT THE POWER TO- oh wait, that's EVE :3

(had to)
Woo! - Argent Girl