Author Topic: What made CoH unique to me  (Read 2558 times)

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
What made CoH unique to me
« on: May 27, 2014, 07:48:00 AM »
1. No cooldown on pots
2. You could feel very overpowered.
3. The atmospheric design of the zones.
4. Manageble amount of skills. Not like wow swtor too many
5. Focused on combat. Nice action flow in the game without garhering and other stuff
6. Superior amount of power sets. Nothing else compares
7. The music
8. Easy interface to tell whats going on in a fight
9. Fun loot crafting and trade system
10. Extremely easy to pick up and play for short sessions

Pitty that no other mmo can do this

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
Re: What made CoH unique to me
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 10:17:35 AM »
Community :D

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 06:08:48 PM »
1. No cooldown on pots
2. You could feel very overpowered.
3. The atmospheric design of the zones.
4. Manageble amount of skills. Not like wow swtor too many
5. Focused on combat. Nice action flow in the game without garhering and other stuff
6. Superior amount of power sets. Nothing else compares
7. The music
8. Easy interface to tell whats going on in a fight
9. Fun loot crafting and trade system
10. Extremely easy to pick up and play for short sessions

Pitty that no other mmo can do this

1: The fact that if you felt overpowered, odds are you likely weren't OR you had earned it if you were and likely only against easier enemies.
2: The fact that the first wasn't handed to you on a silver platter.
3: The fact that the above two were possible even though the enemies were actually capable of threatening you.  You weren't overpowered because your enemies were underpowered like in a rather boring game I played.
4:  Game had enough powers but didn't give to many.  I felt like I had a more complete skill bar and felt I was able to make a fully fleshed thematic character that could be min/maxed, rather then having to pick and choose only "best" powers and ending up with a non-thematic toon resulting in my roleplaying there abilities differently then their powers.
5:  Crowd control could be done unto the badguys as could be done onto you, unlike the game I am secretly griping about here :).
6:  Agree with you on powersets and the fact they all had there nuances, and things to separate themselves from other sets that were very pronounced effects, unlike that, other, game.
7: Buff and debuff effects were also very effective, and at times the mobs could use them to.  Support did so much more then just healing.  In fact, healing was a tertiary thing at the high levels, city of heroes was the only mmorpg that made sure healing didn't supersede anything by ensuring it was to weak by itself by design(in face of buffs/debuffs/crowd control).
8: The information you could get about what was going on was amazing.  The fact that you could look at all of your stats in detail was awesome for advanced players.
9: I loved the auction to.
10: I often played both short and long sessions, loved that this game's content could reward both.  Even found incarnate trials, leagues could form fast due to not needing specific roles all the time, get going, finish the trial and be done before supper.
11: I did enjoy turning on the music in places, though didn't always have it on.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 06:21:11 PM »
This.

1. No cooldown on pots

That's been added to my list!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 06:32:26 PM by Blondeshell »

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 07:07:53 PM »
This right here...

Though the balancing of power sets is important too... too few, such as Champions Online, and you feel like you're pigeon-holed and hamstrung.. too many, like SWTOR, WoW, or STO, and you feel like you need an advanced mathematics degree just to build an effective toon.

CoH managed to strike a balance between giving you enough sets to exercise your imagination, but not so many or so many settings that it became a statistician's paradise.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Greyfairer

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 02:00:07 AM »
Every game I have played other than COH I like to solo.
COH I loved to both solo and play in teams.

I think it was the community most of all.  I still get nostalgic thinking of setting up Task Forces and Trials.  "LVL 20-24 tf looking for scrapper. Will take approx 4 hrs. You in?" and getting "hail yes I'm in!  Just let me go get a plate of Nachos.  OMW in 2 min!!"

Those long and involved TF's were just magical, and I really took pride in keeping everyone there until the final battle with the AV.  I remember having such a great feeling of accomplishment, especially if something went awry and we had to regroup but still won.  After these I would give everyone on the team a ton of influence and tell them how awesome they were, to always look me up when doing tf's, etc. 

I remember doing a TF all night with a guy from France who paid all of us 1 mil. influence and said how freaking awesome we were.  I felt pretty accomplished after this and so I made a point to do it after a particularly gruelling or painful TF. 

So really, it all boils down to the community.  Peerless in my estimation.

Fleur_uk

• Lieutenant
  • @Fleur_Eriss
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 01:58:07 PM »
I agree with all of the above so much...but how could you all forget the....... costume creator?? It was so amazing!! So many hours spent there and no other game could/can touch it!! Like have the largest walking closet of my dreams...lol.  Ok maybe NOT that good.  But ir was so mint and community..yes community was very mint ;)  Now off to refresh/spam New efforts thread. xx

Reaper

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 03:32:41 PM »
I would say above all would be this community.  However, the customizability of characters and gameplay were a close second.  I loved that you could participate as little or as much as you wanted with the actual story.  The game seemed to revolve around your character more so than any other player or aspect of the game.  It felt like it was "my game" while I played; as though it was designed specifically with me in mind.  I have never felt that with any other game, old or new.

Patiently lurking from the shadows...

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 05:32:50 PM »
I agree the costume creator was a game in itself. It was very important to me creating a custume i felt at home with in the character. Here is one of my belowed  creations.

Mythic13

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 06:22:10 AM »

When I played back in 06 or so this was true overall.

The later years not so much. I went on a 5 year hiatus from this game but I noticed there was a pretty clear division between casual/hardcore players when I returned. For example, I never played a tank so I made one. I never really slotted my toons effectively (mainly because I never could get into this game as much as some) so once I hit lvl 30 or so the "hardcore" players (which I found in almost every party) would consistently rage that I wasn't completely dominating mobs and any time someone died I would get tons of agro in the chat despite it being a pretty laid back questing party. The times I played task forces and other special missions I would get absolutely BLASTED for not being a stud tank. This kind of led me to solo a lot of content once I hit a certain level. I recall badge hunting being a pretty fun way of soloing and partying with a small amount of people that didn't rage if you weren't one hitting mobs.

Then there was the constant mob difficulty bickering in questing parties that nearly happened on the regular. If the party wasn't strong enough to take on purples, the party would almost always start fighting/insulting each other or quitting completely making you find another party just because people were so immature. Either the mob difficulty was too high or the PL always had the mobs/sizes too low. Rarely a good mix between difficulty/party size. 

I also noticed there was nothing but dbags that hung around atlas which has historically been the "hang out" for most players (throw pocket D in there too). Trolls, extreme roleplaying, and tryhards have ALWAYS littered atlas and pocket D. I never really thought the community was all that great but back when I first played the amount of cool people and noobs like myself was always in a good balance that kinda offset the dbags.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 06:30:32 AM by Mythic13 »
Accolades obtained: Atlas Medallion, Conspiracy Theorist, Headline Stealer. Freedom Phalanx Reserve Member, Demonic, Bloodletter, Archmage, Watchman, Vanguard

Mythic13

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 06:56:56 AM »
On a lighter note, however, I always thought the badges made COH unique for me. Loved the accolades, mission badges, kill badges, and especially the exploration badges.

The backstory of certain locations in-game via the exploration badges was amazing. They were all so well written and really made you kind of visualize what went down at the specific spot. Some spots even sent chills down your spine like "Hero A defeated Villain B here" or "Evil group A was thwarted by Hero A at this spot"
Accolades obtained: Atlas Medallion, Conspiracy Theorist, Headline Stealer. Freedom Phalanx Reserve Member, Demonic, Bloodletter, Archmage, Watchman, Vanguard

Greyfairer

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 10:24:16 PM »
Mythic13,
when did you stop playing?
I think the last time I stopped playing was in 2010, and at that time it was harder to find tf's and trials, but the people seemed pretty cool to me. 

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 12:06:53 AM »
And what server were you on?
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 02:07:58 AM »
What they all asked, in 7 odd years of playing, I only ever had any problems on Freedom server. every where lse int he game was open and friendly for me, and in fact, it was like pulling hens teeth and turtle feathers just to find RP... but YMMV I suppose
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 02:10:24 AM »
It was community that hit me the most....course I use to stare at the HUGE statues of Heroes throughout the city.
That was trippy. :D

I would get kids, several with health problems, family issues, talking to me. Guess I looked like a surrogate parent
or Auntie. :roll: I was stunned they would just..open up to me, a stranger.
I saw Father/son players and even a Mother/son couple on teams.

CoH was very different. I will never see that again.

Fleur_uk

• Lieutenant
  • @Fleur_Eriss
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 01:17:18 PM »
CoH was very different. I will never see that again.

^^^ I hope you're wrong on that score MaidMercury.  Really would love to have our game back, and enjoy our unique community again xoxo  :'(

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 10:07:16 PM »

That's basically what made City of Heroes so unique and made the game stretched for 8 years. Everytime I play the game I get that warm fuzzy feeling inside of me. I really hope that we get our City back I miss you guys.  :'(

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2014, 11:12:32 PM »
What they all asked, in 7 odd years of playing, I only ever had any problems on Freedom server. every where lse int he game was open and friendly for me, and in fact, it was like pulling hens teeth and turtle feathers just to find RP... but YMMV I suppose

I was on Freedom and agree with you....some (not all by any means) peeps would abuse you via tells for just about anything (you name it I saw it).  I would always answer with a HAHA or LOL just in case they were trying to be funny and not a smarta$$, but that just made it worse.  The abuse could also be seen all over chat. I was also on Liberty and it was a good server with good peeps, but it was always deserted. I liked badge hunting and pvp, but what made CoH unique to me were all of the other choices....endless choices it seemed  ;D

Cryono

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2014, 01:55:49 AM »
the one defining moment of my coh life was when i was playing a new level one character, doing some mission in a cave outside prometheus park,

random lady comes up to me (in the mission, a player) and gives me nearly 100mill inf

like seriously that is one-of-a-kind

she said she did it just to be NICE  :gonk: