Author Topic: My BFG Tech GeForce 7800GS  (Read 1301 times)

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
My BFG Tech GeForce 7800GS
« on: June 01, 2014, 06:40:36 AM »
I opened my drawer and I spotted it again. My BFG Tech GeForce 7800GS, lying there dormant. It is the one video card I had that came in with me playing CoH, and the one where I was still playing when I had to eventually stop using it.

It went into the AGP slot of my old system. An Athlon XP 3200+ CPU with a whopping 2 gigs of RAM! That was more than good enough for CoH up until about 2011, when a single core CPU and a 32-bit system just wasn't cutting it anymore. I wished I could have moved my video card into my new system, but alas that was not possible.

I've never had a card as relatively powerful since. My current GPU is a GeForce GT 440, which actually performed well enough along with my six-core CPU to play CoH up until the end. I'd still like to get something a little more powerful, but I don't think I'd be able to get anything now that would be comparable to what the 7800GS was back when it was new.

Stay awesome, BFG Tech GeForce 7800GS. I wish I could still be using you! But besides being an AGP card, you're probably not HDCP compliant, either.  :'(

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
Re: My BFG Tech GeForce 7800GS
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 02:01:25 AM »
But besides being an AGP card, you're probably not HDCP compliant, either.  :'(

Nope, definitely not. [Source]

You'll also have to make sure your monitor is HDCP-compliant, as well as the connecting cable. I was hoping that I'd still be able to use my old Dell 2005FPW when I upgraded to a new post-XP rig this year, but it wasn't compliant, so I had to replace it, too.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 05:21:03 AM »
a few years back (3 or 4 years ago) I "upgraded" my system. the only thing that transferred over from the old computer to the new one were the speakers and the monitor. At that time, I was running my sound through my stereo system. So, I guess you could say that the monitor was really the only thing that transferred over.

I did copy over CoH and a few (thousand) other files (mostly music) that I wanted to keep, though.

All that came about because of a happy conjunction of a lot of over-time and a pretty decent tax return. which allowed me to afford 2 new computers. One of which went to a friend of mine who had been using the same computer since before CoH first came out. she really needed an upgrade, so I helped her out, and got me one in the process.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 11:41:10 PM »
I pulled out an old Compaq Deskpro 2000 with a P133 out of the closet last week. It has Windows 98 on it and it started up just fine. Just for laughs, I plugged in an IBM model M to it. It looked really weird plugged into a LCD monitor. Ah, the age when computers were all beige.