Author Topic: Running NCSoft Launcher will delete CoH files?  (Read 2705 times)

RuneSage

• Underling
Running NCSoft Launcher will delete CoH files?
« on: December 03, 2012, 04:18:55 AM »
i just saw a post by a credible source in another forum stating that the NCSoft Launcher is set to uninstall and delete all CoH files upon start up.  i believe this includes all screenshots and media files in the CoH folder.  has this been posted here and i missed it?

regardless, be careful and back up your files!

Glass Goblin

• Lieutenant
Re: Running NCSoft Launcher will delete CoH files?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 04:27:57 AM »
I hadn't heard that, but in at least my case, it isn't true. The launcher was still running after the final shutdown, the when I got up on Saturday, it had changed to the "sunset" image. All my files are still intact, though.

zybron

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 04:36:08 AM »
Whether or not it does or does not delete files currently, the more important possibility is that it could be updated to delete CoH installs in the future. It's not likely they would bother to go through the effort of making it do so, but it's still a possibility. That's why I uninstalled the launcher right after the servers shut down. Just be sure to select the option to keep the installed game files.

Better safe than sorry, you know. :)

Glass Goblin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 04:47:21 AM »
Better safe than sorry, you know. :)

Absolutely agreed. :-)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 04:49:53 AM »
After seeing scattered reports, I tried this earlier and it didn't delete anything. City of Heroes was still listed as a game and it even launched the client. COH Subscriber Beta did disappear from the list after a launcher update, but it didn't remove any of the files.

Still, the safest thing to do is to simply delete the NCSoft launcher. It's possible that a future update could delete them, so better safe than sorry.

If you use the uninstall, be careful not to tell it to uninstall your games. Make a backup copy of your screenshots, demos, chat logs, costumes, etc. first just in case.

RuneSage

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 05:53:56 AM »
After seeing scattered reports, I tried this earlier and it didn't delete anything. City of Heroes was still listed as a game and it even launched the client. COH Subscriber Beta did disappear from the list after a launcher update, but it didn't remove any of the files.

Still, the safest thing to do is to simply delete the NCSoft launcher. It's possible that a future update could delete them, so better safe than sorry.

If you use the uninstall, be careful not to tell it to uninstall your games. Make a backup copy of your screenshots, demos, chat logs, costumes, etc. first just in case.

thank you for following up!

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 07:17:29 AM »
on the off chance anything might occur i just finished uninstalling ncsoft launcher from both of my computers

and even then i do have 2 physical copies of the game as well for backups

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 09:48:10 AM »
I've run the launcher several times already to get to the loading screen so i can adjust my in-game graphics settings. Doing a lot of demoplayback.

It' simply a false a rumor.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 11:30:25 AM »
According to one of the users here, his launcher did stop showing the Beta client on the application list.
My guess is that someone too inexperienced to know better believed it was equivalent with uninstalling the client.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
For some that still play NCSoft games, deleting the launcher may not be an option.

For those cases, renaming or moving the CoH install directories should help prevent any such uninstalls in the future, should NCSoft ever care enough to force such uninstalls.

For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.