Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7347955 times)

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #180 on: March 28, 2014, 01:56:55 AM »
Is the superhero craze as big where NCSoft is based, or is that a "rest of the world but Korea" thing?  Folks have also said on here before that Asian countries don't "get" super heroes like their Western counterparts?  Is that true or false?

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #181 on: March 28, 2014, 04:46:31 AM »
^^^

I think this may be the case.

This thread is pulling in people desperate to see their game back.

The lack of any solid information is extremely sad to see.

I'll keep my sceptical hat on until proven wrong but I don't hold any hope that much of anything is going on......

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #182 on: March 28, 2014, 06:00:48 AM »
^^^

I think this may be the case.

This thread is pulling in people desperate to see their game back.

I'll keep my sceptical hat on until proven wrong but I don't hold any hope that much of anything is going on......

i'm pretty confident something is going on, and Ironwolf's latest effort seems like a reasonable approach that has worked with several other games and NCsoft recently revived another game they'd shut down, so i'd say there's some hope of success. That said there's no guarantee NCsoft will go for it this time around any more than last time, so it makes perfect sense to be skeptical until something is confirmed.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #183 on: March 28, 2014, 06:56:48 AM »
I like to tell people "There's always hope." as long as you don't give up. There is always hope.

Now, that doesn't mean that hope has to be unrealistic. I believe it's a good effort but ultimately it's up to NCSoft weither it'll be fruitful.

Either way, it let's us know where they stand and gives an idea of where to go with the next effort. If there's any where to go at all with the next effort.

Even if this doesn't pan out, it's something to try until the other three spiritual succesors come out or we get that super secret thingy.

Even if it did work today, we wont get City of Heroes back tomorrow but atleast we'd have something to look forward to.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2014, 08:41:39 AM »
Everytime I saw a superhero movie preCoH shut down.  It made me want to play CoH.  Now it just makes me miss CoH when I see one.  I agree that it is strange that CoH got closed when Superheroes are getting so big again.

Same here.  Came home from Winter Soldier yesterday and just ached to play CoX.

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2014, 01:07:51 PM »
i ached to play coh all the time.
plus nothing else works with relieving stress like coh did lol
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2014, 02:39:53 PM »
Look, I understand skeptical.

I am telling you without telling you directly who - that I am not alone in what is going on. Other people have picked up the torch and are getting all the things needed to contact NCSoft.

I am sorry I can't say more as it isn't my effort right now at this time. I will reserve my plan until after this more recent effort is made, if it fails. Once NCSoft has been contacted we will know by their reply what can be done in the future. I can say that a few of the past players have been contacted by the new effort to try and find a way forward and try and find out what the sticking points were and what NCSoft would be willing to do.

I mean there are a number of possible points to negotiate on:
1. sell the IP alone - artwork, stories, codebase, rights, trademarks and so on - this is preferred because apparently some folks for a demo purpose were able to directly transfer the game to a different engine - EASILY - from what I was told.
2. sell the entire thing, not really needed at this point - but if they will do so for a reasonable amount......
3. some other possibility not yet considered that NCSoft may agree to

Putting all the information I had been given in one place had never been done - various bits leaked out but we were able to get more of the story and tie it all together. By doing so, those who knew part of it - saw the rest and began to - direct quote - grin from ear to ear.

So many wild rumors and some even from former NCSoft employees we were able to shoot down and answer. I am really sorry for being cryptic (pun not intended) but if this all goes through - it won't be my story to tell soon. I try to pop in and make a progress report if I can but it has only been a week since the folks involved started to move forward for sure.

I can tell you right now - another effort is being made and my idea is still there in reserve if this one doesn't work. 

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2014, 03:11:31 PM »

I am telling you without telling you directly who - that I am not alone in what is going on. Other people have picked up the torch and are getting all the things needed to contact NCSoft.

I am sorry I can't say more as it isn't my effort right now at this time. I will reserve my plan until after this more recent effort is made, if it fails. Once NCSoft has been contacted we will know by their reply what can be done in the future. I can say that a few of the past players have been contacted by the new effort to try and find a way forward and try and find out what the sticking points were and what NCSoft would be willing to do.

1. sell the IP alone - artwork, stories, codebase, rights, trademarks and so on - this is preferred because apparently some folks for a demo purpose were able to directly transfer the game to a different engine - EASILY - from what I was told.
2. sell the entire thing, not really needed at this point - but if they will do so for a reasonable amount......

Putting all the information I had been given in one place had never been done - various bits leaked out but we were able to get more of the story and tie it all together. By doing so, those who knew part of it - saw the rest and began to - direct quote - grin from ear to ear.

So many wild rumors and some even from former NCSoft employees we were able to shoot down and answer. I am really sorry for being cryptic (pun not intended) but if this all goes through - it won't be my story to tell soon. I try to pop in and make a progress report if I can but it has only been a week since the folks involved started to move forward for sure.

I can tell you right now - another effort is being made and my idea is still there in reserve if this one doesn't work.

Awesome effort to everyone involved! Thanks again, Ironwolf for jump starting everything! Amazing community we have!

/em holdtorch

Never Give Up! Never Surrender!

Triage IV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2014, 09:37:15 PM »
The "direct quote - grinning ear to ear" comment makes me even MORE hopeful.

AND...still trying to be patient and not get TOO excited...

AND...Thank you, once again, Ironwolf (and Friends) for your work, time, and energy...AND, Ironwolf, specifically, for your updates...even if they can only be cryptic...it's STILL encouraging.
Waiting for the day Paragon returns.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2014, 11:56:35 PM »

This is even more encouraging news. i look forward to hearing how it pans out. Even so, i would venture to guess that any concrete good news could take weeks, possibly months, to reach the point where something can be announced.
Although a revival for the 10th anniversary would be sort of nice. *fingers and eyes crossed*

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #190 on: March 29, 2014, 04:00:00 AM »
I'm patient. It's one of my best traits.

I'm still waiting for Zardoz to make sense. I know it will one day.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #191 on: March 29, 2014, 06:00:52 AM »

This made ME grin from ear to ear!   Keep up the good work, valiant heroes!

/em holdtorch

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #192 on: March 29, 2014, 07:34:57 AM »
Yeah, I still find it crazy that CoH was shut down in the Year Of The Avengers, a time when they should have been playing up having the #1 superhero MMO on the market.  (Or were they afraid that Marvel would turn its Disney-fied gaze back towards them?)

Fortunately, superhero movies are still going strong two years later, so there's still something to build a marketing campaign on.

Yeah really, it is not as if less than a year later there would not be a (sorta) successful TV Show NCsoft could advertise City of Heroes on to capitalize on the comic book hero hype train.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #193 on: March 29, 2014, 01:38:40 PM »

Skepticism is good, but this community has done a lot with very little solid information.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #194 on: March 29, 2014, 05:23:42 PM »
Skepticism is good, but this community has done a lot with very little solid information.

I'm simply being realistic.

What exactly have we done other than reminisce about or game and share treasured memories?

These aren't  bad by any stretch of the imagination but I don't think it qualifies as a lot - unless you're talking about the Kickstarter for City of Titans?

I remain sceptical because there is a bare minimum of information being generated and some of what has been said flies in the face of information that we were told previously - by people on this forum.

That information was that NCsoft were not prepared to sell the IP for CoH - even after lengthy negotiations with interested parties.

I'm not disinterested or negative here and I'd be delighted if I was wrong. I want the game back as much as the next person here.

I'm just not seeing what has changed from NCsoft's perspective?

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #195 on: March 29, 2014, 05:57:36 PM »
Let's try this and you figure it out - a group approaches NCSoft and the deal falls through - then the groups says something about NCSoft will never sell - then the group immediately tries to get another group to buy the game.

This was something that confused me at the time. There have also been other groups who tried to buy the game but they didn't have the resources to run it. Having money and not an organization - is not enough. NCSoft did keep the game from being sold to just anyone - also recall that they are bringing back Black Metal a game previously closed.

I will not throw anyone under the bus when I don't know all of the details. Please understand that NCSoft doesn't have to just sell the game to anyone with money enough to buy it. They wanted a solid group to take things over. Now where the current group is working from we don't have any insiders and we don't know if NCSoft has any plans for the IP - that is step one - contact and find out what they need or plan. It is a double edged sword - what if they like some of our ideas but wabt a setup similar to Cryptic had where they share profits?

There are a LOT of possibilities and all I can say is an attempt is being made and yes, rumors had flown everywhere and many were outright wrong.

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #196 on: March 29, 2014, 07:18:49 PM »
Let's try this and you figure it out - a group approaches NCSoft and the deal falls through - then the groups says something about NCSoft will never sell - then the group immediately tries to get another group to buy the game.

This was something that confused me at the time. There have also been other groups who tried to buy the game but they didn't have the resources to run it. Having money and not an organization - is not enough. NCSoft did keep the game from being sold to just anyone - also recall that they are bringing back Black Metal a game previously closed.

I will not throw anyone under the bus when I don't know all of the details. Please understand that NCSoft doesn't have to just sell the game to anyone with money enough to buy it. They wanted a solid group to take things over. Now where the current group is working from we don't have any insiders and we don't know if NCSoft has any plans for the IP - that is step one - contact and find out what they need or plan. It is a double edged sword - what if they like some of our ideas but wabt a setup similar to Cryptic had where they share profits?

There are a LOT of possibilities and all I can say is an attempt is being made and yes, rumors had flown everywhere and many were outright wrong.

This solid group that NCsoft apparently wanted ..... Management from Paragon Studios (including general manager/co-founder Brian Clayton, director of product development Destin Bales, and director of business and marketing Ross Borden) were desperate to take the IP from NCsoft in a management buyout.

It's established that they entered into negotiations with representatives from NCsoft to do just this - and were refused.

How much more solid do you want than the game's own developers?

The question still stands.

What has changed from NCsoft's perspective?

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #197 on: March 29, 2014, 08:23:33 PM »
The people approaching them.

There was a personal issue that cropped up in the first effort. I won't say more on it.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #198 on: March 29, 2014, 10:26:30 PM »

This solid group that NCsoft apparently wanted ..... Management from Paragon Studios (including general manager/co-founder Brian Clayton, director of product development Destin Bales, and director of business and marketing Ross Borden) were desperate to take the IP from NCsoft in a management buyout.

It's established that they entered into negotiations with representatives from NCsoft to do just this - and were refused.

How much more solid do you want than the game's own developers?

The question still stands.

What has changed from NCsoft's perspective?
The people approaching them.

There was a personal issue that cropped up in the first effort. I won't say more on it.
Quite. Ironwolf already covered this in several posts earlier in the thread. There were negotiations going on where both parties were looking to find a mutually beneficial arrangement (one way or another NCsoft stood to gain more if the game continued than if it was shut down) when a point of disagreement came up that neither party was willing to compromise on; apparently due to a personal issue of one of the people involved. At that point the whole process broke down.
Seriously, i can understand being skeptical about the latest effort after the previous ones fell through, but when that skepticism is apparently based on not bothering to read the thread you're posting in it seems more like you're just being contrary and negative for the hell of it.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #199 on: March 29, 2014, 10:27:22 PM »
How about we all just wait and see?

What information we've been given is what we've been giving. If anyone wants to remain skeptical that's fine. I hold out hope but as I've said before. It's realistic hope, it could happen or it could fail. Either way someone tried.

I just don't want Ironwolf to feel like he needs to give out any more information than he can and I don't want. Anyone envolved to see this thread and possible get cold feet cause they feel we know to much.

So with that said, I'll be checking it but wont be posting. Until we get an update. :)