Author Topic: Godzilla (Potential Spoilers)  (Read 4632 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Godzilla (Potential Spoilers)
« on: May 17, 2014, 03:13:03 AM »

Watched it tonight.

On the whole, I thought it did a good job of telling the story.

But I suspect it won't do great box office because bits really drag more than they should in a giant monster movie.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Godzilla (Potential Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 12:23:08 PM »
I have seen a lot of kaiju movies, and I'd say that 'bits that drag' are standard fare.  Indeed, I'm having trouble thinking of one that didn't include some tedious exposition and/or wearisome (often human) sub-plot.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 04:13:20 PM »
Seems to be the standard refrain I am hearing about the movie.. "good movie, but for a movie about giant monsters, there was surprisingly little giant monster action"
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

SentaiRed

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 04:01:46 AM »
I loved the movie, personally. The human focus was... It's a Godzilla movie through-and-through, let's just put it that way. The movie really spoke to me as a fan. Godzilla's first appearance, walking into the city like a boss, does his roar for the first time. It said to me, "I'm back, bitches."

And yes, it followed with some fight-teasing where they would cut away from the action JUST as it's happening, and they would do this a couple more times, but JUST as it starts to get annoying, you get your release and it's glorious.

Oh, and my face when Godzilla's tail lit up for the first time: http://i.imgur.com/e8lGk2e.gif

I couldn't ask for a better Godzilla movie, TBH, outside of having Mothra or Rodan in it.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 01:25:05 PM »
I loved the movie, personally. The human focus was... It's a Godzilla movie through-and-through, let's just put it that way. The movie really spoke to me as a fan. Godzilla's first appearance, walking into the city like a boss, does his roar for the first time. It said to me, "I'm back, bitches."

And yes, it followed with some fight-teasing where they would cut away from the action JUST as it's happening, and they would do this a couple more times, but JUST as it starts to get annoying, you get your release and it's glorious.

Oh, and my face when Godzilla's tail lit up for the first time: http://i.imgur.com/e8lGk2e.gif

I couldn't ask for a better Godzilla movie, TBH, outside of having Mothra or Rodan in it.

Saw it Thursday. This states it perfectly for me.
Could have seen more of Godzilla. I'm hoping for sequel with Ghidorah! Mothra and/or Rodan included would be cool, too. The antagonists in this one, should look familiar to diehard fans.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 07:42:10 PM »
Just got back from seeing it.  Didn't like the 'enemy' monsters much, but all in all it was an okay Godzilla movie. 
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 02:22:22 AM »
Only downside was they didn't work in the original Godzilla theme into the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDeU42u2s2Y

Did well enough to get a sequel greenlighted.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 02:26:52 AM »
Seems to be the standard refrain I am hearing about the movie.. "good movie, but for a movie about giant monsters, there was surprisingly little giant monster action"

Well the original 1954 one was more about the people and whatnot then the actual monster.

SentaiRed

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 08:43:40 AM »

Did a lot better than I would have personally expected. I always thought Godzilla was a pretty niche crowd, but it blew Amazing Spider-man 2 out of the water in the box office.(At least for release weekend numbers)

It's been a good couple of summers for Kaiju/Mecha fans. Last year, we had Pacific Rim, and now we've had a good Godzilla movie.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 03:12:31 AM »
Understandable.  Godzilla is 60 years old.  Dubs of his movies have been staples on weekend afternoon monster movie theater on the TV stations where I grew up.  I imagine it's true around most major cities in the US.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 08:45:51 AM »
*runs in from off stage* .................eeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee................ *runs off the other side of the stage*

(I have been waiting most of my life for a good, modern Godzilla movie.)

(my nickname is kellzilla, ya'll)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 12:11:13 AM »
I was wondering when you were gonna weigh in on it. Sounds like it was worth the wait. :)

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 04:20:05 AM »
Enjoyed it thoroughly.  My thoughts, spoilers included:

Spoiler for Hidden:
I was expecting the big G to be the force of nature that he was in the beginning, but it looks to me that they made him a Hero.  I am OK with that, as he played that role back in the 70s.  Much less campy this time around, thank goodness :)

I was pleased to see that I had no "WTF are they doing?" moments during the film.

The bad monsters reminded me of Megalon, myself, though the flying one sure had the profile of Rodan.

Oh, and EAT THIS!!!!!  :D

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 04:56:26 AM »
I very much enjoyed this movie. A little light on the giant monster smack down, but overall I really likedi it. The effects were great, although could have used a bit more color to make things easier to see.

My biggest gripe aboutthe movie though would be their repeated use of putting little kids in danger to build false tent ion.  It got old.  Soldier's son is in danger Oh No! Little girl is in danger Oh No!!  Little Japanese boy is in danger Oh No!!  Soldier's son is in danger again... with a bus load of other kids.... Oh No!!!

Could have used less of that
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 06:41:59 AM »
My biggest gripe aboutthe movie though would be their repeated use of putting little kids in danger to build false tent ion.  It got old.  Soldier's son is in danger Oh No! Little girl is in danger Oh No!!  Little Japanese boy is in danger Oh No!!  Soldier's son is in danger again... with a bus load of other kids.... Oh No!!!

Could have used less of that

While slightly on the excessive side, the old Godzilla movies also did this (though not always with small children - family members in general, yes).
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 12:04:45 PM »
The main human protagonist needed to stop making promises.  Just about every time he said definitively that he'd do something it went wrong.  I wonder if there's a trope for that...

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 08:57:11 PM »
The main human protagonist needed to stop making promises.  Just about every time he said definitively that he'd do something it went wrong.  I wonder if there's a trope for that...

Heh. I think of that as the "Rick from Walking Dead" trope as his decisions are almost invariably wrong.

Botzo

• Minion
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 02:13:02 AM »
Only downside was they didn't work in the original Godzilla theme into the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDeU42u2s2Y

I really liked the new soundtrack though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUcfO25Y4Po

Which reminds me of when I was playing the new Thief and being werided out by the Dubstep. Not that Dubstep is bad, it just didn't fit the game at all.

The more I think back about the Godzilla movie, the more I end up liking it. Godzilla 2000 (Millennium) is still my favorite though.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I  think the whole emphasis on people thing just made the monster scenes better. The sheer scale of the creatures when you see them in the smoke was amazing. And I was just about leaping out of my chair at the atomic breathe scene

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 10:23:33 PM »

There are a couple, interestingly the description for Frequently-Broken Unbreakable Vow explicitly states that one reason The Promise often gets broken is because of "Godzilla Thresholds".

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2014, 12:02:59 AM »
There are a couple, interestingly the description for Frequently-Broken Unbreakable Vow explicitly states that one reason The Promise often gets broken is because of "Godzilla Thresholds".

Gah! I fell for the TV Tropes trap again!!!!