Author Topic: What did you do during the Shutdown?  (Read 13152 times)

ZoeyLovecraft90

• Lieutenant
What did you do during the Shutdown?
« on: January 06, 2014, 07:56:41 PM »
Hello :)
I was just curious about what everyone did during the shutdown on November 30th 2012
So here are the questions.
1. Where were you at the last moments?
2. Who were you with?
3. What server were you on?
4. What's the last thing you remember someone saying?
5. What were your thoughts and feelings at the final moment of truth?

My Answer
I decided after much debate that I should go to my mother server Triumph and be there with my first 50
I was with my first Super Group The Girls of Nukem High Under Atlas
I remember a tall blue armored hero RPing "Raises glass in cheer and says"I will not say do not weep. For not all tears are of evil."
I'll always remember what he said. For some reason it stuck with me.
It was 12:03am when I lost connection. I felt very isolated and powerless during the last minutes. I never wept... Well.. Out loud.
Also after your answer if anyone can tell me how to post a screenshot on a forum post that would be great. I want to post a screen shot on that other post today :)
Ty :)

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
Re: What did you do during the Shutdown?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 08:51:26 PM »
Here are my answers.
1. Where were you at the last moments?  Ourobouros, hoping that time would stop and it wouldn't happen.

2. Who were you with?  By myself.  I had already logged earlier but I couldn't stay away.  I was crying terribly.

3. What server were you on?  Justice, on Penelope Pistol.

4. What's the last thing you remember someone saying?  I have it recorded but what I remember was all the friendly goodbyes I received.  I still miss everyone on Justice United channel.

5. What were your thoughts and feelings at the final moment of truth?  "This really sucks."

candidate

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 09:41:52 PM »

In my base

2. Who were you with?

my 2 friends, since 2005

Justice ( were there others ? )

SaveCOH

Fuck you NCSoft.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 10:09:49 PM »
I went crazy that night, playing most of my level 50s, including doing some TFs and SFs I'd never gotten around to doing (LRSF and MLTF, plus an extra ITF), and my first Mothership raid.  (I really don't remember much about the raid; I was focused on chatting, which is very unusual for me, but I was talking to VV's husband.  I was worried about her)

The last thing I did was a Mayhem mission with my Bots/Storm MM on Protector.   When I finished that, there were only about ten minutes left, so I put him right at Lord Recluse's statue in Grandville, and watched the world burn.

... man, I still miss it so much.

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 10:35:40 PM »
Medical issues (Not mine-) kept me away from home, and thus away from my computer. I didn't log on at all on the 30th. I wish I could have...
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 12:48:48 AM »
Atlas, Virtue, then Kings Row, Test
2. Who were you with?
On Virtue was in Atlas with Angry Horde, Test just me
Virtue till close, then test till end.
I dont recall. Have it screen shoted somewhere.
Bah Humbug.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 02:18:50 AM »
1. Where was I in the final moments -- Freedom Server, Atlas Park, City Hall Steps -- youtube: http://youtu.be/TrgJAcoAsKc
2.  Who were you with -- a bunch of upset people
3.  What server were you on -- Freedom Server
4.  What's the last thing you remember someone saying -- something like "maybe they'll forget to turn off Freedom"
5.  What were your thoughts and feeling at the final moment of truth -- disbelief and despair, rising from the pit of my stomach, took lots of deep breaths, then went to lay down and hope to wake up from this nightmare.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 02:19:38 AM »

Running around Atlas beating up mobs on my main: Knight'Hawk

2. Who were you with?

Myself

Freedom

People joking about how midnight rolledvaround and nothing had happened.

I shall let a dark lord of the Sith speak for me.

RockLeeXIII

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 07:01:08 AM »
Here are my answers.
2. Who were you with? 

1 :Pocket D ... some player told me that the ski slop was open and i had never gone skiing ...

2: Well with that player who's name i cannot remember at this time but he has a lizard head lol ...
we both were villains ...

3: Defiant

4: loosing our world sucks ... ( a hero that i met at siren's call but we were chatting at first)

5: mmm ... i hope i can stay awake till the very end however i didn't make it ... different time zone ... fell asleep while playing ... when i awoke ... there game was at the main screen and i was unable to login ...

those final moments just makes me sad ... i really miss CoH/V  and hope that one day soon there will either be a amazing break thru either the server and/or Icon ...

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 08:58:35 AM »
This was the last thing I saw. It's from my demo of the last 15 minutes.
I was on Floride, my main, on Liberty in Peregrine, where the Rikti where trying to invade again.
I led the league for everyone in the zone, inviting all requesters.
A Sergeant Essence pet got in the last hit on a Rikti Conscript.
According to the demo file, The last thing said was "enjoy life all" by a toon named "da Hi-1".
Once the grey box popped up I sat stunned for a second, and for the first time in decades, I started to... cry. Feeling all the ties that bound us together, being cut all at once.

History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 09:46:36 AM »
 I was in denial, so I didn't request off work.

I was working and trying to convince myself that City of Heroes was "just a game". So after shut down, I went on playing other games and haven't had a virtual home since. :(.

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »
2. Who were you with?

In the last hours I got my Praetorian to the end of the Praetoria arc (level 20, not the extended Praetoria) and chose to go to Paragon City; but in the last hour I went to Atlas with Thunderforce, my (multiply-rerolled) first character, on Union, and stood around with dozens of other people complaining. I don't remember who said what last, but I remember someone squeezing out the last healing badge with minutes to go.

Nothing profound. "I'll be damned if I'll ever give NC another penny" would about sum it up.

TerminalVelocity

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 12:39:25 PM »
I was so beat up about the shutdown that I didn't log on at all after the announcement.
@Bullet Barrage
I left the forums with 1,337 post.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 02:22:57 PM »
Atlas Park
Everyone there in Atlas
Guardian
It's past 3am and we're still here!
3:04am (Teary eyed) Oh man, it's really over!

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 09:58:53 PM »
I stood atop the Atlas globe with my big 'brother', a friend I'd had almost since day one of playing. We stood face to face saluting each other until the final message. I cried then....as I cry now, remembering. Few things in life have ever been so missed.

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 10:40:44 PM »
2. Who were you with?

That's me, the Santa lookalike in the middle, at 2:58 A.M. according to the file name.  I was on until Justice server blacked out.  I don't remember the in-game chat, but I do remember feeling much as I do now after spending the day on Icon and on these threads: emotionally torn up, close to tears.

Keep hope alive, folks.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 11:21:46 PM »
2. Who were you with?
Rikti War Zone on the Beta server.
With who? There was a league of us fighting the Devouring Earth that were left in the zone after the previous events. I remember Kaiser Tarantula, Embyron, Shadow Fire, Karnage VII and Greigor, but there were many, many more.
Last thing? Hah. [Looking for Group] Malignant Tumor: 50th bio tank seeks any team
Thoughts and feelings? I was having more fun playing the game than most times before. But... NOT the end. :)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 03:22:44 AM »
Hello :)
I was just curious about what everyone did during the shutdown on November 30th 2012
So here are the questions.
2. Who were you with?

1. Ouroboros, with my first and main character (Little David).
2. Nobody; I was pretty much alone, in the Pillars of Ice and Fire room.
3. Guardian.
4. I have a screenshot of the moment the servers disconnected, so:
[Looking For Group] Star Hammer: HEROES
[Looking For Group] Thanatophobia: BUTT THIRD BOY I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE SECOND MAN
[Looking For Group] Dirty Kitsune: "Foo Fighters - My Hero"
[Looking For Group] Red Thunder: We need a Guardian EMU Server ...
[Looking For Group] Little David: *paints L'Ombra blue*
[Looking For Group] Shoqwave: Dis raps for hire vs, NC soft

And in my other chat window:
[Looking for a team.]STORMDANCE: Farewell all of you and be well
[Looking for a team.]STORMDANCE: I will miss u even if I didn't know u

[Friends] Shattered Skull: Goodbye everyone, you made it real for me, and thats all I could ask for
[Friends] Shattered Skull: A Toast: To the Heroes of City of Heroes
[Friends] Shattered Skull: np, kitsune

5. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 11:48:15 PM »
That last day I was standing on the steps of City Hall. I'm not sure if I was in 33 or some other one, but my heart was logged into 33, that much I know.

I was with friends. I forget exactly which ones, but that's the point. It was just like it always had been when playing... specific people might come and go as the day passed, but whoever you saw standing beside you, or zipping past... chances were pretty good you'd be okay with calling them a friend. Maybe not a "lifelong, close as family" friend; of course not, not all of them. But a "let's have a blast doing something we both find awesome" friend... absolutely.

Like always I was on Virtue. I started there by accident, not having the slightest idea that it was the "rp server", or anything else about it really. I just liked the name. And later, when the lag from being on one of the heaviest-population servers during peak hours finally got too crazy, I asked myself if I was prepared to transfer all my characters and restart my little solo SG somewhere else. And it turned out I wasn't... I had met too many cool people there. I decided to put up with the perma-lag for the chance to keep hanging out with them. So even though I had fully well planned to try out the other servers, and at one point I even got so far as to make a Triplash on each of the english-speaking ones, I never actually managed to make it off Virtue after three and a half years. (Which, with the lag, sometimes seemed more like four and a half :P )

The last thing I remember someone saying was me, cursing. Not at anything ingame, or even at the situation we were facing. Nope. It turns out that I ended my time in the City the same way I had always played it... the crappy little built-in video card overheated and my laptop crashed. >.<

During those few minutes when I was waiting for the laptop to cool off enough to reboot, I thought about it. I realized that even if I managed to log back in without hitting some monstrous queue, and somehow it didn't crash on me yet again, it wasn't going to get better than it had just been. I was surrounded by people I called friends, and at that point everyone had been joking and remembering happy things and were in a good place - relatively, at least. I figured that was as much of a high note as I was gonna get, so I just left the computer off and let that be my ending.

Well... the ending to that chapter at least. But not the ending to the whole story, not by far. I'm sure of it. For now we're just waiting for the next contact to unlock, that's all this is 8)

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 04:32:08 AM »
This was the last thing I saw. It's from my demo of the last 15 minutes.
I was on Floride, my main, on Liberty in Peregrine, where the Rikti where trying to invade again.
I led the league for everyone in the zone, inviting all requesters.
A Sergeant Essence pet got in the last hit on a Rikti Conscript.
According to the demo file, The last thing said was "enjoy life all" by a toon named "da Hi-1".
Once the grey box popped up I sat stunned for a second, and for the first time in decades, I started to... cry. Feeling all the ties that bound us together, being cut all at once.

It still makes me sad that Kestrel and Prince couldn't be there with you guys, kicking Rikti butts to the very end...
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.