Author Topic: Database modified by hand, what will happened in the next update  (Read 1700 times)

Harermuir

• Minion
Database modified by hand, what will happened in the next update
« on: February 05, 2011, 03:53:06 PM »
Hi,
I play on the vigilance server in french. The designer is a fine tune but having to figure out which are the translation for power and IO set is quite painful. So i have start the tedious work of putting the french name inside the database. Trouble is I feared that all my modification will be erased when a new version of the database will be available. Am I right ? Is there a way to save this modification so that the display name (which are the only thing that i change) may be simply put back on a new version of the database.

Diellan

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
Re: Database modified by hand, what will happened in the next update
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 04:17:55 PM »
The database will be overridden entirely when the next version comes out, I'm afraid, and there isn't anything you can do about it, I'm sorry. Perhaps, at some point, I can come up with a multilingual Mids, but that's some serious work so it won't happen any time soon. Sorry.

Harermuir

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 04:25:51 PM »
I dont think we really need a multilingual version for this.  All we really need is an alternate display name (or name it as you want) for power and IO and the option to choose which one is effectively displayed.If it can be saved in another file of the database (with only that display name and the ID of the power), it would solve any problem caused by the updating.  I dont know how mid is written, but it does'nt seems as such a big amount of work, does it ?

Diellan

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 09:27:56 PM »
I dont think we really need a multilingual version for this.  All we really need is an alternate display name (or name it as you want) for power and IO and the option to choose which one is effectively displayed.If it can be saved in another file of the database (with only that display name and the ID of the power), it would solve any problem caused by the updating.  I dont know how mid is written, but it does'nt seems as such a big amount of work, does it ?

Well, let's see here...

Preferable way would be to add a Language lookup table to the system, and changing DisplayName variable to be a Get/Set Property that points to the appropriate language column of that table. Then I'd need to change the save/edit/import/export parts of the program when dealing with Powers and Enhancements so that they'd use this properly. Then I need to create a form that would allow you, in a user friendly way, to edit these. Then add a Language preference to Mids. :/

Oh, and there are several thousand powers in the DB, plus hundreds of enhancements, so when it comes to actually updating their names, it has to be from a script. The csv files I have don't have the other languages in them, so I'd need to to get that from my sources.

It'd take a fair bit of work, more than, say, implementing Diminishing Returns for PvP mode.