Author Topic: Yes, yes, I know, WHY ISN'T MERCEDES DOING AWESOME THINGS RIGHT THIS MINUTE!!???  (Read 22270 times)

Triplash

• Elite Boss
Thank god I'm immune to the Flu...

(Seriously. Been alive 21 years, still haven't caught it. Last year, when I thought I had it, I went to the doctor and he specifically told me I had caught an odd virus. NOT the flu.)

Hmmm... can you catch immunity to the flu from hugging someone, too?

<.<

>.>

*sidles closer, whistling nonchalantly*

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
*hack cough*

Well I had intended to get a flu shot.  I always wait to find out if the manufacturers actually manage to hit the flu lottery and get the RIGHT mix of viruses into their shot (they only manage this about 1 time out of every 3).

The heavy irony is I am pretty sure I know exactly how we caught it.  We were picking up scrips at the pickup window.  The local Walgreens uses a rock to hold down your change in the drawer, and as Larry picked up said rock, he said "You know, I bet this rock is the vector for most of the illnesses in Claremore.  Everybody comes here to get their scrips and touches that rock."

Turned out he was right.  Three days later (standard incubation period) he had it.  Three days after that, I did.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
You writers are always so zany and eccentric, doing things the hard way.  "I helped save Paragon City..." is no less impressive a statement even lacking "...with the g.d. FLU!" tacked on the end.  I'm just sayin'.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
*hack cough*

Well I had intended to get a flu shot.  I always wait to find out if the manufacturers actually manage to hit the flu lottery and get the RIGHT mix of viruses into their shot (they only manage this about 1 time out of every 3).

The heavy irony is I am pretty sure I know exactly how we caught it.  We were picking up scrips at the pickup window.  The local Walgreens uses a rock to hold down your change in the drawer, and as Larry picked up said rock, he said "You know, I bet this rock is the vector for most of the illnesses in Claremore.  Everybody comes here to get their scrips and touches that rock."

Turned out he was right.  Three days later (standard incubation period) he had it.  Three days after that, I did.

And thus was the villain "Flu Rock" born!  A Stone Armor/Poison petless tankermind!

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki

I guess the old adage is right: Some stones are better left unturned.

ba-dum-tsssh!

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
My wife usually gets the flu around this time of year, while I am blissfully immune.

This year, the flu decided to end that bliss.  It did, however, at least wait until my wife was almost fine before starting in on me. ("Almost" because we both still have lingering coughs)

So I know how awful it is.  Feel better soon.

Morvani

• Underling
Illness has been particularly bad this year. Hubby got hit pretty hard himself.

He picked up what I strongly suspect was the norovirus/stomach bug, probably during a visit to his PCP's office. A visit, I hasten to add, I would not have taken him to, except that his insurer, Medicare, would not continue payments on his bipap without visits to the prescriber of said machine every three months. Neglecting to tell us this until nine months had passed since we got the bugger, and through a third party to boot.

Anyway, started in with the usual symptoms described for the bug, won't go into them here. He also has multiple sclerosis, and is what they call a 'secondary progressive' status there. Once the symptoms started, I immediately called EMS, because I knew this could be the beginning of something bad.

Unfortunately, it was.

Within 24 hours of him reaching the hospital, he spiked a fever and was taken to ICU. They started taking samples of various and sundry things to determine what was going on. I was pretty sure I already knew. Aspiration pneumonia. He'd inhaled... um. One of his symptoms. Into his left lung. And since he's basically nonmobile, due to having secondary progressive multiple sclerosis, it sat in there and festered.

They put him on an NG tube and through it, fed him lots of fun stuff like Zofran to keep him from having more severe symptoms and hopefully pull him through this quicker, as well as removing any troublesome stomach contents without having them make a pit stop in his lungs. He also received daily shots of a blood thinner (Lasix, I think they said?) into his stomach to prevent clots.

About two days later, his oxygenation levels crashed into the low 70s. This, as they say, was double plus ungood. One of the ICU nurses kept him on one of those manual respiration thingies while they called the crit care doctor in to intubate him. I was asked to remove myself from the room while they did this. This was very probably a good idea.

He remained in ICU for about a week, on a respirator and receiving a cocktail of various antibiotics including Vancomycin, which is some pretty serious stuff. After they figured out what the specific culprit was (can't remember the exact name, but gram-positive something), he was knocked down to having just Levaquin. The respirator tube was removed (thank goodness), but he still had an oxygen cannula and the NG tube for feeding, which he finally started getting after they figured the initial bug that precipitated this whole scenario had passed.

Spent another week in just a regular room, and eventually his oxygenation recovered enough to have the cannula removed, but the NG remained. A swallow study was done, and determined that he would need to be on honey-thick liquids and pureed foods until his swallowing could be rehabbed. He continued getting the belly shots as well.

After a week, it was recommended that he be moved to a LTACH (long term acute care hospital) to recover. So far, he's been there a week, still on honey-thick liquids and pureed foods. It took a bit of convincing for us to get the NG tube taken out of him, but I managed to explain to the overseeing doctor's nurse-practitioner that at that point, the NG tube was more of a detriment to his recovery than an asset, making it more difficult for him to swallow. As it was one of the thicker and more rigid NG tubes available, and he had had sufficient caloric intake, through plentiful Boost shakes and ice-cream-like nutrition supplements hubby calls 'calorie bombs', the NP agreed that it would be taken out, cautioning us that if his nutrition suffered, it'd go back in.

I've seen what a honey-thick, pureed food diet looks like, as I have been feeding it to him in the hospital; he can't feed himself. He's a braver being than I am, Gunga Din.

At this point, he's been in one hospital or another for three weeks, with no prospect of going home any time soon, although the speech therapist that's been working on him with his swallowing says he may be cleared for nectar-thick liquids and a slightly more substantial diet as soon as tomorrow. He's still not a very happy camper, but I'm just glad he survived.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
.....dear Deity.

Sending what energy I can muster in your hubby's direction, darlin'.  You are both ever so much braver and stronger than I am.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
Sending some good vibes your way, Charcoalgrin.
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Bliz

• Boss
    • StudioBliz
Holy crap I too am sending good vibes. That's just awful; my best to you both!
Liz

My City of Heroes shirts and stuff on RedBubble:
https://www.redbubble.com/people/bliz/collections/261901-city-of-heroes

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
VV,
I haven't spoken up, yet, under the assumption that you had a pretty good idea we all echo the sentiments already expressed. One more voice would be appreciated, but probably not missed.

Then, my 90 year old grandfather went into the hospital. It's not anything that would be serious to someone thirty, or even twenty, years younger, but there's a general, unspoken feeling in the family, right now, that this is probably it. We're all OK with it, even he and my grandmother. No one is saying good bye, because that's not "how we roll." He's had a good life, raised wonderful children, and seen them go on to do the same. It's never easy for anyone on any side of this sort of thing, but none of us can say it wasn't expected.

So, because you just never know when you won't have the chance, I want to say that I also hope for a full and speedy recovery for both of you. I've passed the word to a couple of friends who are fans of yours, and you're in their prayers.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
Gosh, VV... hasn't this been going on for almost a month now? At least, the start of the year was around the time I first remember you mentioning feeling crummy.

And... wow. What a lovely season for illness. My wife got hit with something right around New Years and it kept her down until around the 15th. Nasty nausea and stomach pain. Mysteriously disappeared just as fast. No idea what it was, but it sure wasn't the flu or food poisoning.

Anyone remember the joke about hiring a shaman to curse NCsoft? Maybe they beat us to the punch.  :P

Oskmey

• Minion
  • Listening to the roar of the Infinite
    • My DevArt Page
Sorry to hear about the sickness that so many have been dealing with this season. I did not get my shot last year and paid heavily for it not once, not twice, but three times. This year I had my shot way before the season started. So I get to make chicken noodle soup for others this year.

For those who are ill - I do hope you start feeling better soon. For those who are not - keep ducking the nasty stuff.

"I kept running, kept hoping for a change
kept moving the pieces kept shifting the blame
he said my time now runs short let's play
just keep breathing baby one more day"
--Episode 6 Many Happy Returns by Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
E'r'ybody needs to quit gettin' sick 'round here.

Seriously, all you having issues, or are having someone have issues... please do get better, y'all. 

All the best towards yas.. and while I love you people, stay the heck away from me.  Y'all understand, right?  Right.  :)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
This year's influenza is particularly bad, and just...lingers.

The stomach virus on the rounds is Norovirus, or "cruise ship flu".  I've had that.  I hope I never do again.

DW, I hope that this is a false alarm for your grandfather, and that he lives to see a (healthy) century.

Surelle

My best wishes go out to all those with illness in any form.

Yep, DW, my 91-year-old mother-in-law just passed away of colon cancer two weeks ago; I barely got past that wake and funeral and my Dad is in the hospital and has been put on morphine.  He's going back home to his apartment but will have hospice care from now on starting today, with a special hospital bed being delivered, and my sister and I are helping my Mom as best we can (I only live a mile away from my parents).  My kids are taking it hard, especially my little one (he's only 8 years old).

So I hear you.

My Dad isn't one to take anything too seriously, though.  He's ready to meet God and the others in his family who have passed.  I put my hand over his in the hospital last night and said,

"You know, we'll meet again.  Someday I'll be up there with you."  To which my former-locksmith father replied,

"Well, don't forget to bring my lock picks with you....so I can get you in."   ;)

I told him I'd work on leveling my stealth skills until then.  (Ten of us in my family have MMO'd in various games from Aion to Everquest 2 to CoH together, three-generations' worth of my family including my 75-year-old parents.  In fact, our 8 1/2 year old Virtue supergroup was called "Relative Danger."  We called it that because we were all relatives and usually in danger.   :P   )
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:50:35 PM by Surelle »

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
My best wishes go out to all those with illness in any form.

Yep, DW, my 91-year-old mother-in-law just passed away of colon cancer two weeks ago; I barely got past that wake and funeral and my Dad is in the hospital and has been put on morphine.  He's going back home to his apartment but will have hospice care from now on starting today, with a special hospital bed being delivered, and my sister and I are helping my Mom as best we can (I only live a mile away from my parents).  My kids are taking it hard, especially my little one (he's only 8 years old).

So I hear you.

My Dad isn't one to take anything too seriously, though.  He's ready to meet God and the others in his family who have passed.  I put my hand over his in the hospital last night and said,

"You know, we'll meet again.  Someday I'll be up there with you."  To which my former-locksmith father replied,

"Well, don't forget to bring my lock picks with you....so I can get you in."   ;)

I told him I'd work on leveling my stealth skills until then.  (Ten of us in my family have MMO'd in various games from Aion to Everquest 2 to CoH together, three-generations' worth of my family including my 75-year-old parents.  In fact, our 8 1/2 year old Virtue supergroup was called "Relative Danger."  We called it that because we were all relatives and usually in danger.   :P   )
Concurred and subscribed to:  Best Wishes to all battling illness, but especially Mercedes and Charcoalgrin's hubby (since i know of them here on Titan.)

Surelle, I'd like to extend to you my deepest condolences upon your recent loss.  Your grandmother, you and your family and those battling illness will be in my thoughts and prayers tonight.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Ice Trix

• Boss
Best wishes

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
If prayers and good thoughts sent your way help, your healing will speed up!!!!

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Tessachan

• Underling
Oh good grief! Influenza is serious, Mercedes! Be careful of your health and feel well, even if it does mean constantly sleeping, drinking & at least eating something nutritious. Just take care of YOU. You're irreplaceable and valuable just for being yourself. Everything else is way down on the scale of necessary. If you need help, I hope you have insurance that will pay for it. If not, call on close friends and family. Just be well. I know all too well how everything else seems more important, but you have to be present to experience it, so continue your presence :) The influenza will recede under patient care and attention, especially with help from other people. Let someone else do that laundry, bring that meal, keep you company. Watch cartoons, read books, sleep like a bear!