Author Topic: vidiotmaps - link is dead  (Read 2576 times)

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
vidiotmaps - link is dead
« on: July 03, 2013, 10:24:48 PM »
I hadn't looked at vidiotmaps for a while.  Was it shut down?
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
Re: vidiotmaps - link is dead
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 03:17:26 AM »
Beefcake, the owner/admin(?) of the sites badge-whore, badge-hunter, and vidiotmaps, had issues with the domain host, and then the shutdown came upon us, so he just kinda had to go do other things, last I heard.  Currently the domains are all expired and/or squatted, in the case of badge-hunter, by something that looks sketchy.

Dang shame, really.  But yeah, they're no more.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 03:24:23 AM »
The static vidiotmaps are all stored on ParagonWiki, though the interactive ones are lost ;-;
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Category:VidiotMaps
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 03:52:56 AM »
the interactive ones are lost
Unless, by some miracle, Blondeshell happens to have them.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 04:41:31 AM »
I've got the coordinates for all the entities, but, alas, the actual programming was handled by people other than myself.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 04:55:43 AM »

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 07:01:44 AM »
Very interesting, Tony.
Definitely a shame.

If it makes you feel any better, I never used vidiotmaps!

Hehe, nah, pretty much everyone else I knew did use it. I never bothered though.

Still, maybe someone, somewhere, will get hold of the programs that are missing.
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 07:27:25 AM »
Those files are probably sitting somewhere on someone's hard drive. If so, and they happen to read this, I hope they do the right thing and get in touch with Tony. Don't let years of hard work go to waste, and don't punish the entire community over some misunderstanding about Tony's motives or reliability that happened ages ago. There's no way that a game like City of Heroes is gone forever. Eventually those maps will be very desirable again.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 07:34:01 AM by Captain Electric »

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 07:40:35 AM »
You can get the overlay pack (i23) from their source forge page still: http://sourceforge.net/projects/vidiotmaps/ but sigh,  it would be nicer to have the web pages up still.

Sailboat

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 05:14:47 PM »
This is not something the Wayback Machine could provide?  (Genuine question, as I am ignorant of the technological implications).

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 06:20:46 PM »
This is not something the Wayback Machine could provide?  (Genuine question, as I am ignorant of the technological implications).

I'm pretty sure that the Wayback Machine won't collect active pages, because it's a robot -- it trawls the Net collecting web pages. But what it collects are the web pages that you'd see in your browser, not the CGI code on the server that created them. So you'd get a snapshot of the interactive maps, but there wouldn't be anything that made them interactive.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 09:58:01 PM »
I've actually done quite a bit of searching through the Web archive to see what I could recover, without any significant luck. It seems that the bots never got much past the first pages of the site or the forums. Thus, the only things you get when you dig deeper are the live links that say the domain is up for sale.

Which is a shame, really, because there was a lot of good discussion about badges and maps in the older posts on the forums. I also had notes there about how to recreate the map pack installable file in case Beef Cake wasn't around for the next updates.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:03:25 PM by Blondeshell »