Author Topic: Alien life theories  (Read 14523 times)

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: Alien life theories
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 10:14:52 AM »
You maniacs! You really did it! You broke Arcana! Pancake pancake you all to pancake!

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 12:07:49 PM »
Personally I wouldn't be too surprised if it turned out life was relatively abundant in the universe, at least in the microbial form.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 12:48:25 PM »
I was going to post a correction.  Then I read this.  You guys are all punking me, right?  This is some sick revenge for making you all read a statistics lesson.  You know, if my posts make your eyes bleed that badly, just report me to the moderator or shoot me.  Don't do... whatever this is.  I knew that once Stuxnet weaponized the internet, it was only a matter of time before the Geneva protocols on torture were thrown out the window.

I'm going to save this post, and one day when Neil deGrasse Tyson bad mouths Star Wars again I'm going to tweet it at him, just to see if he swallows his own chin.

The really sad part is that if physics was even half as weird as Joshex thought it was, we wouldn't have to wait for CoH to return.  We could all just stand outside during lightning storms with spearmint lifesavers in our ears and eventually acquire superpowers.

When I read the part about the photovoltaic effect causing solar cells to shrink, I actually thought about explaining band gaps and semiconductor junctions and electron-hole tunneling for a moment**, and then realized I was trying to fix a broken television by hitting it repeatedly with a working television.  I have two nieces and a nephew.  The younger niece and the nephew are at the age where they love to ask "why" repeatedly.  I'm the only person that will sit there with them and answer that question, over and over again, about anything.  No matter how tired I am, no matter how busy I am, I will try to explain any question they ask, even when I know they are less interested in the answer and more interested in seeing how long I will last.  Everyone asks me why I do it.  If they saw my face when I was reading this post, they wouldn't need to ask.

** Got a B+ in semiconductor physics.  The only B+ I'm proud of.  One of the only grades I ever cared about ever, actually.  That B+ got me my first real job in my chosen profession in a roundabout way, and a free vacation in Sequoia National Park.  It's a long story.

actually it's one of the contending hypotheses for how solar panels work, there are two main contenders, the one you stated and the one I stated. neither has been definitively proven.

one hypothesis is that nothing fills the gap it just becomes a non-conductive hole that may lead to the material's inability to produce electricity.

but when you consider that more electricity goes through a solar panel than the material has natively, you need to consider outside forces adding electrons, for this condition one hypothesis is electrons are absorbed from other materials in contact with the panel or from the air, however considering that they run in space with limited amounts of equipment connected to them and no air; we should consider solar alchemy as the recharge source.

solar alchemy proposes a cycle where atomic components become over charged and emit part of their charge (one of their force particles) as a photon to regulate, the photon can be slowed however back into the form it started as where it can become part of an atomic component again. this hypothesis suggests that all light is part of matter and thus has a mass although it be a very small one. it interacts with masses by manner of field collision even though it's field is incredibly weak. it also proposes where all the matter goes after getting devoured by blackholes, solving one of the mysteries of the universe.

In a solar panel with all those electrons there's a ton of fields, these fields cause the photon to bounce around and lose speed (in the process knocking out electrons from their spots) until eventually the photon escapes or slows down enough to emit a stronger field where it either gets absorbed by a like atomic component or bonds with other like force particles to become a new atomic component.

if you start asking why a photon's field can be weak when it's moving at the speed of light and strong when it's slow, then you border on knowing the secrets of the universe.

I could start a thread to explain that if you like.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 02:25:53 PM »
Personally I wouldn't be too surprised if it turned out life was relatively abundant in the universe, at least in the microbial form.

Or that many planets support plant life which looks suspiciously like the woods around Vancouver.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 07:45:04 PM »
actually it's one of the contending hypotheses for how solar panels work, there are two main contenders, the one you stated and the one I stated. neither has been definitively proven.

Solar panels aren't just randomly assembled and people pray they work.  They are engineered.  We understand how they work do differently than we understand how cars work.  You can say that there are two theories on how cars work, one in which gasoline is injected by a fuel pump into the pistons of an internal combustion engine and ignited, which causes the fuel to burn and expand causing the piston to rise and deliver that power to a crankshaft that turns and provides power to the drive wheels, or there's another theory where the gasoline makes the engine itch and when it tries to scratch the wheels spin.  The problem is that cars are designed and constructed, not magicked together.  We know what all the parts do because we put them there to do specific things.  We know how solar cells work because we put all the parts there.  We engineer them to capture photons of a particular energy and we know they do because we test them.  We know they generate electricity due to the photovoltaic effect because we design them to do so.  They create a voltage in exactly the way they are designed to do so.  That voltage them induces a current in any circuit they are connected to, in exactly the same way voltages always do.

The world is an endless series of black boxes to you, Joshex, because you don't know how anything works, and you think everyone is just randomly guessing so your guess is as good as any other.  But people actually know how this stuff works.  It is not a guess.  The "theory" of how solar cells work is not just a guess: scientific theories are not guesses.  Scientific theories have to pass a huge amount of tests, have to make huge amouints of verified predictions, to become scientific theories.  And how a solar panel works isn't even a scientific theory.  Semiconductor physics is a set of scientific theories that have been rigorously tested.  How a solar panel works is just an assemblage of those no different than the parts of a car.  Solar cells are technology.

it doesn't help that you seem to have no idea whatsoever what the actual theory of photovoltaics are or how semiconductor structures work.  No scientific theory says electrons get knocked out of the structure and permanently leave behind a "hole."  Electrons and holes migrate under the influence of an electric field to the opposite sides of the semiconductor where the electrons on one side fill the holes on the other side.  And the "holes" (they are also called phonons) aren't actually holes in the solid structure but actually holes in the conduction band of the structure: they are a way to describe an electron state equivalent to the absence of an electron in a band of electrons.  It is analogous to the hole created in traffic when a car takes the off ramp.  It is not really a "thing" but it can move like a thing, at least for a while.  It can be filled by another car, which creates a whole behind it.  In traffic, the hole eventually closes; in semiconductors the hole persists until filled by a free electron that must obey certain rules, including overall charge neutrality.

You are why we have Science in the first place.  It is so easy to simply fail to understand what the current best theories of how the universe functions are.  It is so easy to convince yourself that you can do equally well or better by just randomly thinking about it in your bedroom until it sounds good in your own head.  But we know that such guesses are almost always wrong.  How do we expect to learn anything about the universe if every one of us is so bad at guessing how it works?  Science.  We demand that any guess about how the universe works be tested.  We demand that any such guess make predictions about how the universe works that we can verify.  We even demand that it make predictions about phenomena we haven't directly observed yet, so the guess cannot have taken them into account.  We demand that these guesses explain everything we know, and also accurately predict what we don't know until we find out.  When it does that enough times, we assume it is not luck, because guesses are never that lucky, and we decide to call that guess a scientific theory.  Any future theory must do *better*.  If it sounds good to you but it cannot do better, then we don't care.

We build theory upon theory; conjecture, verification, and acceptance, with each generation of scientists building upon the foundations of the previous one. Sometimes correcting them, but usually expanding on them.  We build the structure of Science larger than any human being could construct in their lifetime, so that future generations will know more about the universe than they could possibly figure out in their lifetime.  We do this with a process that reduces the likelihood that any of our guesses is fundamentally flawed.  Newton built on the discoveries of others, even though his advancements were genius themselves.  And the strength of Newton is that we still use Newton's laws of motion today.  They were not perfect, but they agree with reality most of the time to a pretty high degree of precision.  We use Einstein because his predictions are better, more accurate, and work under more conditions than Newton.  But Einstein *agrees* with Newton for most common experience cases: it *has* to, because we verified Newton under those conditions already.

We didn't all just stand around and make guesses about how solar cells worked.  We observed the photovoltaic effect.  Einstein actually won the Nobel prize for his work on the photoelectric effect, not relativity.  His theory - which was verified through experiments - laid one of the foundation stones for the quantum mechanical theory of semiconductor physics we have today.  A theory that was assembled, piece by piece, through careful observation, rigorous testing of conjecture, and finally acceptance as theory.  The theory *allows* us to understand how the physics works so we can build solar panels in the first place.  We couldn't do that if we didn't understand how they work.  Solar cells have parts, no different than the transistors and capacitors in an integrated circuit chip.  Those parts all perform functions in the cell, each of which is carefully tested.  Each part does what it is designed to do, or the solar cell wouldn't work.  And with every solar cell we design and that then performs exactly the way we expect, the precision of the theory describing how semiconductor physics works under those conditions gets re-verified and refined.

We are at the point where we are making atomic structures in silicon that are literally only hundreds of atoms big.  And we're putting that almost science-fictiony technology into basic consumer products that billions of people have.  We're basically techno-mages when it comes to silicon.  The fastest and densest computer chips and memory use structures so small that they operate quantum mechanically (technically, all semiconductors do, but I think the people who understand the distinction will know what I mean).  There isn't even anything like "current" in them in the classical sense.  Electrons behave as confined quantum entities, and we can even observe Heisenberg uncertainty messing with those devices.  We design them to account for these quantum effects, but the fact that we can actually observe them and *use* them, is yet another confirmation of those quantum theories.  They aren't just unobservable guesses.  We don't just *think* we understand quantum mechanics: we manipulate quantum mechanics.  We make quantum mechanics our bitch just so we can make better iPhones and Playstations.

None of that could happen if we were just guessing.  None of that could happen if we thought they way you do, that Scientific theories are just authoritarian dictates of people who are no better than you are at figuring things out from scratch without having to verify anything.

The day the first primate picked up a rock and smashed it with another rock to make a knife, we became tool wielders.  But the day two of us argued at the campfire over which kind of rock was the best one, and everyone else picked the one that seemed to cut the mastodon up quicker, that's the day we became scientists.  Building upon the knowledge of our predecessors in a way that builds a solid foundation for our successors is why we aren't still arguing at that same campfire over the same rocks.  It is how we get from rocks to spears to slings to wheels to pottery to writing to agriculture to iron work to steam engines to airplanes to space shuttles to the Galaxy VR.  Science does that, and Science has rules.  You should learn them.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 11:27:41 PM »
I kind of want to make a subforum that is "Joshex Spouts Off Nonsense" and restrict his posting capabilities to that subforum only......
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 12:24:06 AM »
I kind of want to make a subforum that is "Joshex Spouts Off Nonsense" and restrict his posting capabilities to that subforum only......

There's a conjecture that says that as parents have become more concerned about the health of their children and try to protect them from things like allergies and infections they are creating so clean and antiseptic an environment for them that ironically they are becoming increasingly vulnerable to allergies and infections because the immune system requires priming.  If you aren't exposed to a little dirt, grime, and pathogens, your immune system becomes less able to fight them off as you get older.

Unless it becomes abusive, I tend to think the antidote for misunderstanding is education, not censorship.  Plus, I spent more time than I probably should have to see if there really was some sort of "solar alchemy" theory of photovoltaics out there that I needed to educate myself on, if for no other reason than to understand what its major misconceptions are, and I couldn't find anything of consequence.  I did find a site called "little alchemy", and supposedly there's a way to make a solar cell in that.  I'll let you know what I find out.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 01:29:16 AM »
Solar cell = Sun + Tool

Sun = Fire + Sky
Sky = Air + Cloud
Cloud = Air + Steam
Steam = Water + Fire

Tool = Metal + Human
Metal = Fire + Stone
Stone = Air + Lava
Lava = Earth + Fire
Human = Earth + Life
Life = Swamp + Energy
Swamp = Mud + Plant
Mud = Water + Earth
Plant = Rain + Earth
Rain = Water + Air
Energy = Air + Fire

Solar cell = (Fire + (Air + (Air + (Water + Fire)))) + ((Fire + (Air + (Earth + Fire))) + (Earth + (((Water + Earth) + ((Water + Air) + Earth)) + (Air + Fire))))

Some of these things are logical, some weird.  River + metal = bridge?  Okay I'll buy that.  Plant + fire = tobacco?  Sure.  Energy + Explosion = Atomic Bomb? Seems like a reach.  Plant + Cloud = Cotton?  Err...

[https://littlealchemy.com]

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 01:43:08 AM »
Plant + Cloud = Cotton?  Err...
Cotton balls look like little plant clouds. ^_^

Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2016, 02:14:15 AM »
I spent more time than I probably should have to see if there really was some sort of "solar alchemy" theory of photovoltaics out there that I needed to educate myself on, if for no other reason than to understand what its major misconceptions are, and I couldn't find anything of consequence.

You think the Illuminati just lets their alchemists and sorcerers post all their findings on Pinterest?

Well ok, sometimes they do, but sometimes trying to make immortality potions produces a fantastic brownie recipe (assuming you have a decent supply of aqua vitae in your cupboard.)

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2016, 03:26:10 AM »
As much as it aggravates the people who feel compelled to reply to his stream of semi-consciousness posts it does make for some thoughtful and educational posts in the course of debunking the latest bout of Joshex graphorrhea. Generally the clarifying posts more than make up for the incoherence and generally wrongness of the original post. Honestly, granting Joshex a forum title of [citation needed] would be better in my opinion. And if he doesn't want it i'd be happy to have it, regardless of how accurate or useful it might be.

Honestly, if he'd occasionally post one of his... text things... with some sort of disclaimer that this is just something he heard or thought up while trying to figure out how padlocks work starting from the premise that each one contains a tiny metal lizard instead of stating everything like it's something verified and supported by credible sources it would go a long way.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2016, 03:48:14 AM »
Who are we to question the credibility of the tiny metal lizards?

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2016, 04:22:44 AM »
I've gotten some of my best build advice from tiny metal lizards.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2016, 04:37:07 AM »
As much as it aggravates the people who feel compelled to reply to his stream of semi-consciousness posts it does make for some thoughtful and educational posts in the course of debunking the latest bout of Joshex graphorrhea. Generally the clarifying posts more than make up for the incoherence and generally wrongness of the original post. Honestly, granting Joshex a forum title of [citation needed] would be better in my opinion. And if he doesn't want it i'd be happy to have it, regardless of how accurate or useful it might be.

Honestly, if he'd occasionally post one of his... text things... with some sort of disclaimer that this is just something he heard or thought up while trying to figure out how padlocks work starting from the premise that each one contains a tiny metal lizard instead of stating everything like it's something verified and supported by credible sources it would go a long way.

I think the problem isn't crazy theories, but the characterization of the current scientific theories as something that is either trivial to dismiss or complete guesswork.  I don't think that is a fair claim unless you can actually demonstrate to understand them well enough to make that judgment.  And these elements of scientific knowledge are not difficult to find in 2016.  It isn't like this is 1976 and it would take hours of time to learn this stuff in a library. 

Quantum mechanics is going to survive Joshex, and everyone else challenging it with similar ideas.  What concerns me, and what I tend to respond to, is less the craziness of the ideas, and more the impression that whether Joshex's ideas are right or wrong is a question of their wackiness.  It isn't.  Even if they were not wacky, they should still be treated with suspicion because as I tried to emphasize, Science is not about people just making strange guesses to publish books.  There's over a century of science behind how solar panels work.  There isn't a single "theory" of how solar panels work, our understanding of how solar panels work is based on *hundreds* of scientific ideas tested and refined over decades.  Our understanding of the quantum nature of light goes back to observations over a century old, and theories first proposed by Einstein himself.  Our study of semiconductors is almost two hundred years old, and advanced over decades as different scientists conducted experiments on different materials.  Modern semiconductor research is about eighty years old, and goes back to experiments done at Bell Labs.  The physics behind semiconductor junctions - the basis for things like the transistor - start to become formulated at that time.

Science advances incrementally, building on past reliable theories and observations.  We didn't just "invent" an idea about solar cells.  We assembled them out of bulk materials we've been studying since the 1800s, using semiconductor depletion zones we've been studying for decades, exploiting variations on the photoelectric effect that was explained by Einstein a century ago, and using fabrication techniques that have been refined over the last fifty years.  We use quantum mechanics to describe how solar cells work because its the same quantum mechanics that was used to describe n-p junctions decades ago and has worked with accuracy and precision ever since.  We understand how electric current in solar cells works because it is basically the same way electric current has been understood to work since the days of Faraday.

There is no "theory on how a car works."  It is the chemistry of gasoline combustion, the physics of gas expansion, the mechanics of torque, the eletromagnetic action of the spark plug, the turbulence of fuel injectors.  Most of what people think of as individual, single Scientific principles are actually conglomerations of theories and ideas working together in a system that has been refined over a long period of time.  Thinking you have a better idea presumes any single idea can replace what you want to replace.  No single idea can replace all the Science that explains how cars work.  No single idea can explain how solar cells work.  No single idea can replace the Standard Model of physics, the overall theory of General Relativity, the theory of cosmic expansion, the evolution of complex organisms, the theory of anthropogenic climate change.  These things which we sometimes talk about as if they were single ideas are large, complex systems of interlocking Scientific theories, each of which has been independently confirmed many times over and whose overall nature continues to be refined in the present.

What I hope people who read my posts realize, if they take nothing else from them, is that Science is not about Big Ideas and who gets to authoritatively decide what Science Thinks.  Science is about assembling the ideas and observations of individual human beings who live flawed and short lives and creating a larger, deeper, more complete understanding of the universe than any one person could ever achieve alone.  What I know stands on top of the work and thought of millions of other people who lived over thousands of years.  Science is how we take all of their accumulated knowledge and ideas, not all of which was right, and make something that is collectively greater than the sum of its parts.  I know what the Sun is made of, even though I have never been there.  I know when the Sun will finally die, even though I will never live to see that day.  I know those things not because I'm guessing, and not because I just blindly believe someone else's guess.  I know those things because of spectroscopy, and physics, and astronomy.  I know what the Sun is made of better than I know what is in my brother's pockets right now.  That's the power of Science, but that power exists only when we recognize how it actually works.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2016, 04:41:52 AM »
Honestly, granting Joshex a forum title of [citation needed] would be better in my opinion.
He, uh...he already has that. O.o ?

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2016, 01:14:54 PM »
I think the problem isn't crazy theories, but the characterization of the current scientific theories as something that is either trivial to dismiss or complete guesswork.  I don't think that is a fair claim unless you can actually demonstrate to understand them well enough to make that judgment.  And these elements of scientific knowledge are not difficult to find in 2016.  It isn't like this is 1976 and it would take hours of time to learn this stuff in a library. 

Quantum mechanics is going to survive Joshex, and everyone else challenging it with similar ideas.  What concerns me, and what I tend to respond to, is less the craziness of the ideas, and more the impression that whether Joshex's ideas are right or wrong is a question of their wackiness.  It isn't.  Even if they were not wacky, they should still be treated with suspicion because as I tried to emphasize, Science is not about people just making strange guesses to publish books.  There's over a century of science behind how solar panels work.  There isn't a single "theory" of how solar panels work, our understanding of how solar panels work is based on *hundreds* of scientific ideas tested and refined over decades.  Our understanding of the quantum nature of light goes back to observations over a century old, and theories first proposed by Einstein himself.  Our study of semiconductors is almost two hundred years old, and advanced over decades as different scientists conducted experiments on different materials.  Modern semiconductor research is about eighty years old, and goes back to experiments done at Bell Labs.  The physics behind semiconductor junctions - the basis for things like the transistor - start to become formulated at that time.

Science advances incrementally, building on past reliable theories and observations.  We didn't just "invent" an idea about solar cells.  We assembled them out of bulk materials we've been studying since the 1800s, using semiconductor depletion zones we've been studying for decades, exploiting variations on the photoelectric effect that was explained by Einstein a century ago, and using fabrication techniques that have been refined over the last fifty years.  We use quantum mechanics to describe how solar cells work because its the same quantum mechanics that was used to describe n-p junctions decades ago and has worked with accuracy and precision ever since.  We understand how electric current in solar cells works because it is basically the same way electric current has been understood to work since the days of Faraday.

There is no "theory on how a car works."  It is the chemistry of gasoline combustion, the physics of gas expansion, the mechanics of torque, the eletromagnetic action of the spark plug, the turbulence of fuel injectors.  Most of what people think of as individual, single Scientific principles are actually conglomerations of theories and ideas working together in a system that has been refined over a long period of time.  Thinking you have a better idea presumes any single idea can replace what you want to replace.  No single idea can replace all the Science that explains how cars work.  No single idea can explain how solar cells work.  No single idea can replace the Standard Model of physics, the overall theory of General Relativity, the theory of cosmic expansion, the evolution of complex organisms, the theory of anthropogenic climate change.  These things which we sometimes talk about as if they were single ideas are large, complex systems of interlocking Scientific theories, each of which has been independently confirmed many times over and whose overall nature continues to be refined in the present.

What I hope people who read my posts realize, if they take nothing else from them, is that Science is not about Big Ideas and who gets to authoritatively decide what Science Thinks.  Science is about assembling the ideas and observations of individual human beings who live flawed and short lives and creating a larger, deeper, more complete understanding of the universe than any one person could ever achieve alone.  What I know stands on top of the work and thought of millions of other people who lived over thousands of years.  Science is how we take all of their accumulated knowledge and ideas, not all of which was right, and make something that is collectively greater than the sum of its parts.  I know what the Sun is made of, even though I have never been there.  I know when the Sun will finally die, even though I will never live to see that day.  I know those things not because I'm guessing, and not because I just blindly believe someone else's guess.  I know those things because of spectroscopy, and physics, and astronomy.  I know what the Sun is made of better than I know what is in my brother's pockets right now.  That's the power of Science, but that power exists only when we recognize how it actually works.

one correction in both your posts and although there's more I could say, I wont because I don't to get into that here yet. silicon is a natural material /discovered/ in nature. man didn't invent it based on semiconductor theories, man found it and realized it fit the description and applied them to it. also when he did apply them to it it was a theory with incomplete evidence behind it ergo a guess that later underwent many trials to ascertain whether that looked like it was true for the material.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2016, 01:37:12 PM »
Idk how you got that Arcana was saying humans invented silicon out of any of that. But it should have occurred to you that if you did get that you were reading something wrong.
Besides, everyone knows silicon was invented by dwarves.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2016, 06:12:29 PM »
one correction in both your posts and although there's more I could say, I wont because I don't to get into that here yet. silicon is a natural material /discovered/ in nature. man didn't invent it based on semiconductor theories, man found it and realized it fit the description and applied them to it. also when he did apply them to it it was a theory with incomplete evidence behind it ergo a guess that later underwent many trials to ascertain whether that looked like it was true for the material.

Silicon is an element, but solar cells aren't made out of pure silicon.  Solar cells are made out of doped silicon, silicon which has been infused with trace amounts of other elements such as boron or phosphorous.  These impurities fundamentally alter the conductive bands of the bulk material by either adding or subtracting electrons from the conductive layer (by binding them to the valence layer).  In a chemical sense, both sides of an n-p junction are almost pure silicon.  But in an electrical sense the two sides are totally different, composed of fundamentally different substances.  It is this difference that creates the functional components of semiconductor circuits.

These specially crafted semiconductors are materials not found in nature: they require extremely pure silicon crystals with precise amounts of specific impurities in the crystalline lattice of the silicon.  They are engineered materials.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2016, 06:56:18 PM »
Normally I don't consider this important to discussions, but in this case I'm going to make an exception.  I don't just know this stuff because I read a book and/or thought about it in the bathroom.  I spent four years *working* on stuff like this, and I have personally performed some of this work.  Doping, photoresists, the whole nine yards.  I actually made these things and tested the things I made with my own two hands, and worked among people doing novel research into silicon materials science.  I helped them file the patents in some cases.  I wasn't there when Einstein published his theory of general relativity and I never met Darwin after he published Origin.  But I know what semiconductor structures are and how they work because I made them myself.  I have first hand knowledge of how you make them, and how the process by which you make them changes the measured properties of those materials.  The theories of semiconductor mechanics provides an overarching way of understanding the physics, but there's no question about the specifics of what they do and how they do them, because that's just observed fact, not theory.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2016, 09:00:14 PM »
... also when he did apply them to it it was a theory with incomplete evidence behind it ergo a guess that later underwent many trials to ascertain whether that looked like it was true for the material.
A scientific theory isn't a guess. If it's a guess, no scientist is going to call it a theory. They would call it a hypothesis.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal