Author Topic: If it happens, then what?  (Read 8424 times)

cohRock

• Lieutenant
    • Rich's Tepid Home Page
If it happens, then what?
« on: February 24, 2014, 01:06:12 PM »
Assume some publisher/developer (let's call them X) acquires the rights to CoH and re-opens the doors with all previous data intact.

Wonderful!

But ...

What about the ongoing projects to create CoH-like worlds?  Do they just shutter themselves, with all the work into them disappearing?

I speculate that the best possible outcome is for X to also acquire those projects, and interview those who had put significant work into them for positions on the new CoH team.  (I mean, X will need new blood anyway, right?)  Good ideas and code from the other projects might be incorporated into future issues.
-- Rich

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
Re: If it happens, then what?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:30:03 PM »
I imagine City of Titans will still keep on truckin'. They've come too far to stop now (think of all the money they acquired through the Kickstarter and all), but I don't think they'll just forget about CoH either.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:34:18 PM »
No, they keep going. Then, we will have choices. Although, my first choice would be City of Heroes.
Good luck to all of them! :)

microc

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 07:10:13 PM »
depends on if the new owner will add more content to the game latter on or put the game itself into maintenance mode. you be able to play coh but nothing new will be added to the game.

NightWolf

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 10:50:48 AM »
For now I think everybody would be happy to see the game again, even if they game won't be getting any updates anymore. I also think there are alot of player out there who haven't even got the max out of COH, so there would be plenty of stuff to do!

Even with all the new projects out there...they have yet to prove themselves, so City of Heroes would be my first choice as well.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 03:54:27 PM »
For City of Titans, or whatever its name will be finalized as, it's already too late for them to turn back regardless of whether CoH comes back or not, and for one simple reason. As soon as they held their Kickstarter, they essentially promissed that they would make and release a finished game to all who donated to their funding.

To back out now, they'd have to pay back all the money they raised to everyone who donated, which is probably very unlikely since I'm sure by this point they've spent quite a bit of that money on tools and software licenses for developing their game. They can't pay back money they no longer have, so it's either finish the game, or face legal action from those who donated funds, because coming up with that money on the spot for a refund at this stage would be very difficult.

Long story short, they're going to have to finish developing the game either way, because the alternative is not that appealing.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 06:00:30 PM »
If it happens...Well.

Let's just bring up something..

Here's city of heroes.

Here's one of the latest generation of video games, Grand Theft Auto V.

Even if COH comes back, it's been left light years in the dust with regards to graphics, game dynamics, storyline and overall detail. It will always hold a special place in our hearts, but without a complete overhaul it won't be able to compete.
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 06:26:41 PM »
If it happens...Well.

Let's just bring up something..

Here's city of heroes.

Here's one of the latest generation of video games, Grand Theft Auto V.

Even if COH comes back, it's been left light years in the dust with regards to graphics, game dynamics, storyline and overall detail. It will always hold a special place in our hearts, but without a complete overhaul it won't be able to compete.

Two things; first that screenshot of Atlas Park looks to either be pre-Ultra Mode or with Ultra Mode graphics turned down, either way the graphics of the game got a big facelift already and some areas are actually quite detailed. Second, any real gamer worth their salt knows that there's more needed for a game to be a success than flashy graphics. I've lost count of how many "visually appealing but horrible games" I've seen publishers throw away money on(and I can usually spot these at a glance and avoid them). Just because it's not as graphically amazing doesn't mean it won't get attention.

Seriously, take a look at a lot of the indie games being made, they're all relatively cheap graphics wise, but they still make pretty good money. Why? Simple, good marketing, and good gameplay(the former of which CoH always lacked, which is probably a big contributor to its own premature downfall).

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 10:42:26 PM »
I imagine I'd give a returned COH a try if it made it back, but I do think the relative age of the graphics is an issue that it'd be facing in terms of getting new fans, and at this point I don't know how many of the old ones would return.

If Paragon Studio had been able to buy the game from NcSoft and spun off to be an independent company then I'd have more faith and loyalty, but right now you're hypothetically asking me to trust a hypothetical company would have the know-how to run COH's spaghetti code AND not pull the rug out from under me like NcSoft did.

At this point, I find that doubtful.

I'm hoping that City of Titans and/or Heroes and Villains and Valiance Online can bring back something of the gameplay I lost when COH shutdown.

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 12:31:33 AM »
im hoping all 3 choices we will have will be successful. i personally cant wait to try all of them when they release.
i do agree with shenku about the graphics. graphics dont make a game. it is the storytelling and the lore imo that can make a good game.
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 03:07:17 AM »
Nothing would make me happier than to have CoH back. It was such a wonderful part of eight years of my life for so many reasons. I'd want it back as it was the day of sunset....I'd find comfort in the familiarity. I am also pulling for the other projects to succeed beyond all expectations, and would gladly give them a go. CoH will always be my favorite and most loved game for me. I hope everyday that we can all go 'home' someday.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 03:04:09 PM »
[Even if COH comes back, it's been left light years in the dust with regards to graphics, game dynamics, storyline and overall detail. It will always hold a special place in our hearts, but without a complete overhaul it won't be able to compete.]

Graphics are not that bad... first, a lot of players have computers that couldn't handle the full graphics of the newer games and would have to drop down. Second, CoH has better graphics available if you turn up the graphics, and most likely you would end up meeting in the middle, with new games turned down and CoH graphics turned up, to the point where they are a lot closer than those two pictures.

Game dynamics... CoH is missing some ideas, but it still has excellent dynamics and movement. Some are a bit clunky, but is it really a major deal if the way you jump in and out of mission doors is a bit lame?

A new game could certainly be an improvement, but could also certainly be worse. CoH had a good design and played well, and new stories could easily be added.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 07:00:37 PM »
Two things; first that screenshot of Atlas Park looks to either be pre-Ultra Mode or with Ultra Mode graphics turned down, either way the graphics of the game got a big facelift already and some areas are actually quite detailed. Second, any real gamer worth their salt knows that there's more needed for a game to be a success than flashy graphics. I've lost count of how many "visually appealing but horrible games" I've seen publishers throw away money on(and I can usually spot these at a glance and avoid them). Just because it's not as graphically amazing doesn't mean it won't get attention.

Seriously, take a look at a lot of the indie games being made, they're all relatively cheap graphics wise, but they still make pretty good money. Why? Simple, good marketing, and good gameplay(the former of which CoH always lacked, which is probably a big contributor to its own premature downfall).

It's  a lot easier to show a screenshot showing high graphic detail than it is to show quality game content. I'm not ripping COH in any way, it was one of the greatest of its time - but the fact is that, detailed as it was, it's been gathering dust, and not just on the shelf. MMO's succeed because they are able to evolve ahead of the expectations of gamers. COH, if it was suddenly brought back in the form it was in when it shut down, could struggle a great deal to keep up. NCSoft burned its bridges with fans, former employees and business associates, including the bestselling authors that made COH legendary.
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 12:51:26 AM »
For City of Titans, or whatever its name will be finalized as, it's already too late for them to turn back regardless of whether CoH comes back or not, and for one simple reason. As soon as they held their Kickstarter, they essentially promissed that they would make and release a finished game to all who donated to their funding.

To back out now, they'd have to pay back all the money they raised to everyone who donated, which is probably very unlikely since I'm sure by this point they've spent quite a bit of that money on tools and software licenses for developing their game. They can't pay back money they no longer have, so it's either finish the game, or face legal action from those who donated funds, because coming up with that money on the spot for a refund at this stage would be very difficult.

Long story short, they're going to have to finish developing the game either way, because the alternative is not that appealing.

Actually, with Kickstarter, the person running the Kickstart isn't obligated to deliver a damn thing.
Now people CAN try to sue.  The reality is, such a lawsuit would be more expensive and time consuming than most people could deal with.
And, as I mentioned, because they're not contractually obligated to actually DELIVER anything as part of the Kickstart process, you'd lose regardless.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 03:37:33 AM »
This might just be me, but I think Cryptic is working on City of 2. Why I say this the producer of star trek online has been moved to making a new mmo. I have a feeling it is going to be the aforementioned City of 2. And I have learned to trust my feelings.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 06:50:20 AM »
This might just be me, but I think Cryptic is working on City of 2. Why I say this the producer of star trek online has been moved to making a new mmo. I have a feeling it is going to be the aforementioned City of 2. And I have learned to trust my feelings.

I dunno about that.

City doesn't belong to Cryptic anymore.  And they've already got their own CO (which ain't doing so great).  Not to mention they're owned, lock stock and two smoking fire tanks,  by an NCSoft competitor.

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 07:47:26 AM »
Actually, with Kickstarter, the person running the Kickstart isn't obligated to deliver a damn thing.
Now people CAN try to sue.  The reality is, such a lawsuit would be more expensive and time consuming than most people could deal with.
And, as I mentioned, because they're not contractually obligated to actually DELIVER anything as part of the Kickstart process, you'd lose regardless.

Wrong. Kickstarter creators are legally rerquired to fulfill all rewards of their project or refund any backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill.
The terms are crafted to create a legal requirement for creators to follow through on their projects, and to give backers a recourse if they don't.
This is basic kickstarter 101 stuff - https://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/kickstarter%20basics . Please stop spreading this myth that creators are not accountable.

I'm not doubting the difficulty of pressing a lawsuit, especially with only small pledges, and projects that are low budget. And a kick starter may not be successful (different to taking money and running), kick starters have inherent risk. But it is total BS that creators don't have to try and fulfill their obligations.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 09:44:24 AM »
If NCSoft (or anyone else) ever brought City of Heroes back. I'd /em dance in RL for along time.

I'd still play the other three projects when they came out to. Just not as much if City of Heroes was live again.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 11:50:42 AM »
I dunno about that.

City doesn't belong to Cryptic anymore.  And they've already got their own CO (which ain't doing so great).  Not to mention they're owned, lock stock and two smoking fire tanks,  by an NCSoft competitor.

Champions is not getting the kind of attention and support that STO and Neverwinter get, but in the last year or so it has gotten more attention than it had for about a year prior. Barring a major investment by Cryptic and Perfect World, it's never going to reach its full potential, but per Trailturtle they are pleased with the success that it does have.  It's also the one game Cryptic owns outright, and I think that's going to keep it around as much as anything else.

I wouldn't be displeased if Cryptic came up with a game closer in style to COH than CO, but I like both playing styles so I'd play both. :D

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 05:45:49 PM »
Assume some publisher/developer (let's call them X) acquires the rights to CoH and re-opens the doors with all previous data intact.

Wonderful!

But ...

What about the ongoing projects to create CoH-like worlds?  Do they just shutter themselves, with all the work into them disappearing?

I speculate that the best possible outcome is for X to also acquire those projects, and interview those who had put significant work into them for positions on the new CoH team.  (I mean, X will need new blood anyway, right?)  Good ideas and code from the other projects might be incorporated into future issues.

the obvious master plan lets call it plan AOmega is to aquire CoX and update it's character designer and initial enemy characters models to have more features such as faces that aren't just textres and hands and feet, for this a blend of the new art thats been done would be handy, new city areas? blend them into the story as new zones. ETC. Over all; blend the titan projects into CoX with CoX as the master atmosphere to conform to.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.