Author Topic: City of Heroes... Thank You!  (Read 1714 times)

pewlagon

• Boss
City of Heroes... Thank You!
« on: July 12, 2014, 12:47:59 PM »
This is not another thread focusing on the recent good news, but rather one focusing on why I love this community so much.

I am (for all intents and purposes) a forum lurker. I read a lot and rarely post. Back in 2011 three of us banded together to start a YouTube Channel focusing on how to get the various badges in City of Heroes. It was awful, based on what we know now, but still we had a lot of fun getting into making videos and such. It was the first time, in my life, I tried to escape the shackles of my Asperger Syndrome and I still try to innovate the channel in the hopes that one day our community might have a home where I can do something along the same vein. Also a big Thank You to Samuraiko (Aka Dark Respite) for showcasing how much fun vidding can be.

Outside of that I wanted to say thank you to this wonderful community for introducing me to the following:

ItsJustSomeRandomGuy: If you haven't seen his YouTube channel you should give it a gander. Sadly he doesn't make as many videos as he used to, but the back log is fantastic.

Chuck: I would never have known how great the show was without this community hyping it. To this day it's one of my favorite Television shows.

The Dresden Files: I Guess I'm part of an urban legend here. I remember seeing "HarryTheWizardDresden" in an auction House. I remember reporting said character for IP abuse (Sorry I'm a writer myself and like to protect others' works when I can.) Then I remember reading on the forums about Jim Butcher clearing up that it was, in fact, him. I'm sure I'm not the only one that reported his name, but the timing was impeccable as was my red face. After that I bought every volume of the Dresden Files in Hardcover as they came out.

The Devil's Cape by Rob Rogers: This, to me, set a benchmark for how a Hero novel should be written and I found it via the City of heroes Forums. It is, without a doubt, an shining example of how to write super powered fiction.

Anyway, I've rambled for a little and now it's your turn! What did you discover through the community. Don't be shy, share. If I, the perpetual recluse, can do it, so can all of you. Let's keep the calm air of positivity going.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
Re: City of Heroes... Thank You!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 10:01:31 PM »
The best thing here (besides the people).......

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 12:57:08 AM »
The best thing here (besides the people).......

1000 times this :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 04:59:12 PM »
It took me a while to remember it, but there were a couple things that I only heard about because of other City players.

One was PvP Online, the comic. That is hilarious, and I only learned about it after a couple of the strips got posted in the forums here and there.

The other was The Guild, and subsequently everything Geek and Sundry have done. I had never even heard of it, until I saw Samuraiko's video for Date My Avatar. Guild was awesome, Tabletop is pure win, and some of G&S' other stuff is pretty good too.

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there were others. This player base is a pretty diverse bunch, they find some really interesting stuff sometimes.  :)

pewlagon

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 07:25:37 PM »
Oh, I can't resist posting that from Samuraiko...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUVWnMAT5xg

I loved it!

And for those that haven't seen the original...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urNyg1ftMIU

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 04:26:08 PM »
Oh, I can't resist posting that from Samuraiko...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUVWnMAT5xg

I loved it!

And for those that haven't seen the original...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urNyg1ftMIU

Still one of my favorite videos that I've ever done.

And I think I still have the script that I'd written to CoH-ify "Game On." (Yes, the Guild gave me permission to do that one, too.)

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

gypsyav

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 04:39:46 PM »

And I think I still have the script that I'd written to CoH-ify "Game On." (Yes, the Guild gave me permission to do that one, too.)

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

Oooooooooh, I would LOVE to see that one finished. I loved the Date My Avatar one and all your other videos. Please make this one if you ever get chance.
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 10:27:28 PM »

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

I'd LOVE to see what you could do with "I'm the One That's Cool" one day!  :D