Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7329548 times)

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #27200 on: April 05, 2017, 09:52:08 PM »
With what time? I spend up to 18 hours a day on CoT some days.

Pfft you probably spend the other 6 sleeping and maybe eating.  I'm pretty sure its proven humans don't need either of those things.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27201 on: April 05, 2017, 11:43:04 PM »
Ok, here's a question for you: What would be needed in order to play a relaunched/reborn CoH still in NCSoft's stable?

This is just me wondering something that struck me after the whole Statesman in Master x Master announcement.

I'm going to be honest here...

I could play COX if it came back under NcSoft Control. And given that it's been close to 5 years since the shutdown I won't even begrudge the loss of characters or vet rewards. (I want to say the Paragon Market gave us a way to earn Paragon points via purchases anyway.) I have my doubts that I would put in the kind of hours that I did before ... I'm older, I have others games to play, and sadly I am concerned that at this point the COX graphics may not hold up.

In a perfect world, we could get COX back with an upgrade to Unreal 4. :D

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27202 on: April 05, 2017, 11:57:03 PM »
I wouldn't hesitate or have any mental reservations about playing CoH under NCSoft.  I don't have a vendetta I just wanna blast some stuff with my Energy/Dev Blaster.  Its been too long

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27203 on: April 06, 2017, 12:25:39 AM »
Ok, here's a question for you: What would be needed in order to play a relaunched/reborn CoH still in NCSoft's stable?

This is just me wondering something that struck me after the whole Statesman in Master x Master announcement.

I and my wife would be in like a shot. I could probably get 8 or 10 others.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #27204 on: April 06, 2017, 12:36:26 AM »
Ummm this is, dare I say, a bit cryptic....

http://www.crypticstudios.com/in-development
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27205 on: April 06, 2017, 12:41:37 AM »

That's been there since Neverwinter launched back in 2013.  If this project was on anyone's radar outside of Cryptic in any manner, the press would have been all over it already.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27206 on: April 06, 2017, 12:43:44 AM »
That's been there since Neverwinter launched back in 2013.  If this project was on anyone's radar outside of Cryptic in any manner, the press would have been all over it already.

I played a game named, "In-Development" once.  It was very buggy and the graphics were pathetic.

LuxunS

• Underling
« Reply #27207 on: April 06, 2017, 01:17:13 AM »

Access is all I'd need.  I'd repurchase the game and subscribe without hesitation.  Haven't found a game that could adequately fill CoH's void and I'd pay for it all again.  Vet rewards, previous characters, graphics updates, etc would be nice, but not having those wouldn't dissuade me. 

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #27208 on: April 06, 2017, 01:18:01 AM »
I played a game named, "In-Development" once.  It was very buggy and the graphics were pathetic.
Worst part about all the bugs? They expected -you- to fix them.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #27209 on: April 06, 2017, 01:51:29 AM »
Joshex's "project"? How was it?
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #27210 on: April 06, 2017, 01:53:34 AM »

honestly, at this point there is nothing that would stop from playing City of. again, either from Ncsoft or they leased it to another company. I just want to play again.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27211 on: April 06, 2017, 02:01:42 AM »

Given how wrecked CO is would you want Cryptic to have CoH?
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27212 on: April 06, 2017, 02:08:27 AM »
honestly, at this point there is nothing that would stop from playing City of. again, either from Ncsoft or they leased it to another company. I just want to play again.

Okay everyone, stop and think for a moment.  I want CoH back as much as anyone else here.  However for all that say they would return to CoH if NCSoft relaunched it,  please remember this is the company that sunsetted the game way ahead of it its time,  they didn't even try to keep it alive on a zombie server until a new dev team could be brought in.  It was all "tough luck, the game is closing, please play our other crap games that are coming out *Cough* Wildstar."

If NCSoft relaunches CoH what is to stop them from killing the game again?  Answer: NOTHING

Please note: this is not a vendetta cry.  These are facts.

While CoH fans want the game back, flocking back to NCSoft and willing to pay the monthly fee again and dumping extra cash into the paragon store to repurchase items to a game that NCSoft, a very untrustworthy company, still owns may not be the best move.

Also, let's not forget Richard Garriott and what NCSoft tried to pull with him.
In fearful COH-less days

Surelle

« Reply #27213 on: April 06, 2017, 02:14:05 AM »
Given how wrecked CO is would you want Cryptic to have CoH?

Well, Jack moved on to Daybreak and Posi moved on from STO a long time ago, so that's a tough one; but any CoH is better than none.   However, since NCSoft has refused to rez the game in any fashion for going on 5 years now, I expect the chances of ever officially playing CoH again are zero.  Speaking of Star Trek...."It's dead, Jim" about covers it.  Maybe an emu will pop up at some point, which would be fantastic (even though they are typically mutilated/malware/hacker/botter havens).  That's the most likely scenario I feel we're ever going to have at this point.

PS/ And yeah, Sinistar, I hear you there.  I played Tabula Rasa too.  NCSoft actually forged Garriott's signatures on the paperwork to shutter it for good while he was vacationing (in space, lol).  He won millions in a lawsuit against them later at least.  But I think this is all a pipe dream anyway.   *shakes head*

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27214 on: April 06, 2017, 04:43:02 AM »
It is time once again for [trumpet fanfare] The Pantless Report

Greeting fellow babies, I dug this up from the groove yard of forgotten favorites.
Reports of the deal's demise are greatly exaggerated.  As far as anybody knows, the THeM is still hard at work trying to find the NCSoft Corporate Headquarters.  So, do not lose hope or dispair.  The THeM shall purchase the rights to the IP of City of Heroes soonTM.  We all will be rubber-banding and losing map-server connections before we know it.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27215 on: April 06, 2017, 05:07:07 AM »
Well, Jack moved on to Daybreak and Posi moved on from STO a long time ago, so that's a tough one; but any CoH is better than none.   However, since NCSoft has refused to rez the game in any fashion for going on 5 years now, I expect the chances of ever officially playing CoH again are zero.  Speaking of Star Trek...."It's dead, Jim" about covers it.  Maybe an emu will pop up at some point, which would be fantastic (even though they are typically mutilated/malware/hacker/botter havens).  That's the most likely scenario I feel we're ever going to have at this point.

PS/ And yeah, Sinistar, I hear you there.  I played Tabula Rasa too.  NCSoft actually forged Garriott's signatures on the paperwork to shutter it for good while he was vacationing (in space, lol).  He won millions in a lawsuit against them later at least.  But I think this is all a pipe dream anyway.   *shakes head*

Also another thought has occurred to me regarding Statesman being put into that other game.  It may not be as damaging to the potential sale of the game as one may think.

Remember: Statesman was killed off months before the shutdown.  Following his demise the game was patched a bit to remove Statesman from any missions he was in,  any and all contacts in the game that talked about him now did so in the past tense since he was dead,  his task force was renamed and so were the badges that came from it, he did not spawn in Recluse Victory in longer and the only way to ever see him at all was to Ouroborus back to the mission that gave the Statesman's Pal badge.

In effect, Statesman was erased from the game. Reichsman and Cole from Praetorian earth are not Statesman.

So basically to sell the game and avoid trouble that stupid new game, simply remove the mission that gives the Statesman's Pal badge from Ouroborus,  and also do not reactivate the story arc that could be repeatedly run where Darin Wade kills Statesman.  That event has occurred and is done and cannot be undone.

Thus Statesman is purged completely from CoH and reduced to a mere footnote in CoH lore.

Thus there should be no trademark related issues and CoH gets sold.

if only it were that easy.
In fearful COH-less days

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27216 on: April 06, 2017, 05:32:33 AM »
Also another thought has occurred to me regarding Statesman being put into that other game.  It may not be as damaging to the potential sale of the game as one may think.

I seriously fear we'll never see CoH again, but I really don't think it was damaging, full stop. If NC had a sudden change of heart and agreed to sell CoH, they'd do it on the condition they get to keep using Statesman. Non-exclusive licencing isn't unheard of.

rkcdan

• Underling
« Reply #27217 on: April 06, 2017, 11:02:14 AM »
I think we made a mistake with NCSoft when we agreed to stop voicing our opinions and protest in silent. I am not blaming anyone or pointing fingers. We had NCSoft on the ropes and we let them bounce back. They were shocked at the outcry, then we were told to keep calm, don't make them mad, if we do they will not talk to us. Well the only time they did talk to us is when we did speak up. I blame myself for not seeing the bigger picture. I blame myself for taking the easy way out and remaining silent about the game and community I loved. I blame myself for not screaming at the top of my lungs. I blame myself for not being hero enough to stand up to NCSoft, a bully who could care less about us and our community. I blame myself for standing on city hall steps in Atlas Park holding a torch and protesting in silent. I blame myself for the closure of COH, because when it was time to be a hero and stand up and be counted I stood by in silent hoping some one else would save the day.   

Sergio526

• Underling
« Reply #27218 on: April 06, 2017, 02:19:39 PM »
Honestly, start me from scratch. It's been so many years that I probably wouldn't enjoy my old characters. It's happened to me before, I boot up a game I haven't played in a long time with an old save file and I didn't enjoy it. Either my skills had deteriorated to the point that I couldn't actually play at that level, or the decisions I had made no longer aligned with my current mindset. Like, my play style at that time was X, but since then, I've become a different person, influenced by other games, so now I'd probably spec completely different. I'd rather start over than live with the "mistakes" of a decade ago.

So yes, if NCSoft let me back in for $15 a month, I would. Even if it's just for a year.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #27219 on: April 06, 2017, 02:34:38 PM »
I am sure that even if they still had all the account login info, NCSoft would not permit the use.

I haven't logged into NCSoft since the shutdown, and I cannot login in right now to NCSoft with my old login.
NCSoft would want to shrug off all the old zombie accounts, so requiring new logins makes sense.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"