Author Topic: The Next Star Trek TV Series.... Ideas  (Read 3322 times)

Steelclaw

• Lieutenant
The Next Star Trek TV Series.... Ideas
« on: September 10, 2013, 07:12:58 PM »
So, I just got done re-re-re-watching the 2nd Star Trek movie and was thinking about what I'd like to see in a new Star Trek TV series.  These are my two favorite ideas that I've come up with...

Federation Academy

This series would take place at the Academy in San Francisco.  Rather than a lot of deep space adventure, it would focus more on the formative ideals of the Federation and how those ideals are taught to new students.  The cast would consist of young, late teens and early twenties cadets.  The races would be diverse, including a first ever cadet of the Romulan race.  The series would start out with a "Crew" assigned to a fictitious ship.  Students from each of the requisite curriculum would be assigned to the team; including Command, Science, Engineering, Security and Medical.  The reason for the "Crew" would be to teach the students not only how to perform their individual duties, but how those duties interact with the overall starship team dynamic. 

The Federation Academy show would focus more on the interpersonal relationships of the races and individuals.  It would show how a diverse group of strong individuals can, with training and gentle guidance from their instructors, become a fully functional team.  Guest stars from prior versions of the show could appear as guest lecturers or Professors.

A Bold New Frontier

One of the recurring concepts I've always been fascinated with in the Star Trek series is the holodeck.  Specifically, the Doctor from Voyager and the Lounge from Deep Space Nine.  In both these cases, the holographic individual became more and more complex... more and more REAL... the longer their programs were allowed to run without interruption or reset.

In A Bold New Frontier, the Federation scientists have decided to conduct an experiment.  The ship is known as the U.S.S. Asimov.  Unlike other Starships, the Asimov's central computer has been programmed with sub-routines and A.I. copied from appropriate holodeck programs.  The resulting program was actually sent through the academy like any other cadet, albeit in a stationary database rather than housed in a mobile body.  Once it had "graduated", the A.I. has been installed in the Asimov.

It has also been given the rank of Captain.

That's right.  For the first time in Star Trek history, the ship ITSELF will be the Captain.  It has also been fitted with a living crew, as would a normal ship.  Every part of the ship is outfitted with holo-emitters allowing the Captain to appear in its humanoid form anywhere it needs to.  I also think it would be interesting to have the crew be unaware their leader is not "real" at the beginning of the series, although this would change as the series progressed. 

Just to add some spice, I think I'd like to see a new hybrid breed be the first officer.  How does a half-Klingon, half-Vulcan sound to everyone? 

So what do you think?  Which do you like better?  Do you even like either of them?  What ideas would YOU like to see implemented in the next Star Trek series?

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
Re: The Next Star Trek TV Series.... Ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 09:33:56 PM »
very interesting steelclaw. never even considered something like that.
me myself, i would love to see a sulu series with him as captain of the excelsior. that would be awesome
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 09:35:54 PM »
I agree that it is interesting, but I think they need to go back to the prime u. maybe 50 years after nemeses.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Arnabas

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 01:08:16 AM »
First off, it would have to be the real universe, not the movie crap. Second, I have been saying for years that a Star Trek Anthology show would be good. One week, Klingon Empire. Next week, Romulans. Week after, some remote space station dealing with a first encounter.

beveri8469

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 09:22:29 AM »
First off, it would have to be the real universe, not the movie crap. Second, I have been saying for years that a Star Trek Anthology show would be good. One week, Klingon Empire. Next week, Romulans. Week after, some remote space station dealing with a first encounter.

i like that idea even better. never even thought bout that. plus it would let you experience more of the ST universe.
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 12:03:11 PM »
I'd love to see an academy show. The franchise could use more ways to appeal to younger demographics and introduce new blood to the Star Trek universe. It would also be a great opportunity to cameo past Star Trek alumni. Characters like 7 of 9 giving a lecture on the Borg, Admiral Janeway talking about command experience, Quark and his Brother Rom, even Picard could make an appearance. It would not only appeal to a new generation but it would also serve to introduce them to the previous series as well.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 01:42:09 PM »
Both ideas have merit but, being the suspicious sort that I am, I can see so many ways for them to go wrong.

ACADEMY
This is a wonderful idea. It really is. But it has the horrible potential of becoming yet another angsty, 20-something, Dawson's creek-y, mess. Star Trek has always been about exploring social issues  but, unless handled carefully, this will become dull and lifeless fast.

NEW FRONTIER

I think this one has more promise. It gets Trek back out into space, it gives us the possibility of exploring the social issues of having a minority (a holgram) placed in a position of authority (well travelled ground by now but perhaps, still relevant?) We get a new ship and crew to learn about.

I like the anthology idea presented earlier. That has a lot of potential I think.

My proposal is sort of a combination of all of the above. The ship is still the U.S.S. Asimov and it is Captained by it's own AI. The main mission of the ship is for advanced training of students in their final year of academy. During their voyage you can incorporate the anthology idea as part of their education. visiting new and existing cultures... you see where I'm going here.

Bah, long story short, they're all good as long as their all taken care of properly.

As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 11:32:05 PM »
I want to see the Talaxians make a new home for themselves in the Alpha Quadrant and become the first Delta Quadrant species to join the Federation. On New Talax, they could be working on a way to reclaim their old homeworld with the help of the Federation, while at the same time they attempt to build an artificial wormhole to link the Alpha and Delta quadrants.

I want to see an incursion from the Mirror Universe, where a newly reborn Terran Empire has decided that interference from the Federation was the primary cause for their problems and so they've finally decided to take the fight over to the other side, after a long and bloody war to reclaim all that they lost, and then some!

I want to see a divided Dominion at war with itself, half of whom want peace while the rest want retaliation for what they've lost. For the first time ever, the Great Link is broken into two halves. And what should make this civil war a lot worse is...

I want to see the Borg invade the Gamma Quadrant, in their efforts to re-establish themselves after the destruction of Unimatrix 01 and their defeat by Species 8472.

So... so many loose ends, never explored.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 05:26:24 AM »
want that implied when nelex left voyager to stay with the talaxians? if not I was always confused about that part
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 05:39:25 AM »
It wasn't implied, that's what happened.  Neelix found some other Talaxians in the Delta Quadrant, and decided he'd had enough voyaging.  Janeway made him an Ambassador (title only) and he left to be with his new family.  They kept in touch until likely when the Voyager got back to the Alpha Quadrant and home.

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 06:12:05 PM »

I want to see the Borg invade the Gamma Quadrant, in their efforts to re-establish themselves after the destruction of Unimatrix 01 and their defeat by Species 8472.

I had imagined an episode of DS9 where they would see a fleet of Borg cubes heading for the station, with much puckering of orifices until the cubes head through the wormhole to the Gamma quadrant.

A Trek series based on Sulu's Excelsior would be very cool.  I would also like a new show that continues beyond ST: Nemesis.

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 06:43:02 PM »

I had imagined an episode of DS9 where they would see a fleet of Borg cubes heading for the station, with much puckering of orifices until the cubes head through the wormhole to the Gamma quadrant.

I doubt the Borg would bother with that wormhole. They probably already have plenty of transwarp conduits into the Gamma Quadrant themselves.

I wonder if it's even possible to assimilate a changeling though?

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 11:43:05 PM »
I'd like a series based on either the Romulan or Klingon empires.  Perhaps feature a Captain who goes a bit against the grain of
the rather aggressive militaristic stances of his/her people.

It could be put in any time frame - although I'd prefer around the time of TNG.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Rezelius

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 11:49:08 PM »
I like a lot of the ideas in this thread!

For those interested in supporting a project already in the making, I ran into this Indiegogo campaign for Star Trek: Renegades.
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/star-trek-renegades

It has actors from the Original Universe such as Walter Koenig, Tim Russ, J.G. Hertzler, Robert Picardo, Gary Graham, Garrett Wang, Manu Intiraymi, Richard Herd and a few other people that you might have heard of like Edward Furlong, Corin Nemec and Grant Imahara.

It has approximately 30 hours to go in funding so if it interests any of you, go take a look at it!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 12:21:01 AM by Rezelius »

beveri8469

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 11:57:18 PM »
been following that on FB for a long time now and cant wait for it
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

Rezelius

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 12:23:26 AM »
It's definitely the biggest Star Trek project out there, with actual actors from the different series, that I have ever seen.
I hope it comes out as awesome as I'm seeing in my head. lol

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 01:58:10 AM »

I doubt the Borg would bother with that wormhole. They probably already have plenty of transwarp conduits into the Gamma Quadrant themselves.

I wonder if it's even possible to assimilate a changeling though?

Funny enough... I had... sort of... somewhere around here... a synopsis of this very concept.  Way back when.  When DS9 was off the air, and Enterprise wasn't yet a thing.

I thought it was pretty good, but never went with it.  I had dreams of a book, but...

Maybe I find that damn thing and also check around and see if anyone else wrote it yet... My copyright/save date should be proof enough it's mine first, right? :D

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 08:05:21 PM »
I dig both those ideas. I think the first would actually go over pretty well if pitched in the current youth-focused LA television environment, and the latter is the kind of creative direction that would actually bring an old jaded science fiction reader like me back to the Trek franchise.

It seems the folks in charge of Trek are more interested in applying modern cgi and high-tempo music-video film techniques to otherwise regressive material.