Author Topic: Gaming Computer (also AlienWare student discounts)  (Read 5684 times)

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
Gaming Computer (also AlienWare student discounts)
« on: July 28, 2014, 05:05:52 PM »
So I've always thought about building one, and might actually do it. However, there's a good deal from Alienware (for students) that has some nice looking computers on sale, with a free tablet. You can find it here: http://www.alienware.com/landings/studentoffer/. Do those look good? Specifically, the cheapest desktop? My current computer is an HP Touchsmart laptop from 5 years ago.

I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
Re: Gaming Computer (also AlienWare student discounts)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 06:25:10 PM »
Me personally, I am not a fan of Small Form factor machines. Replacements or upgrades will be much more difficult if they are even possible and if you can replace them, it won't be cheap. Video Card is sub-standard (low end GPU and uses cheap DDR3 RAM) and replacing the video card with something more powerful could be problematic as I don't see what the PSU Wattage rating or see how much interior room is in there.

I'm also not a fan of slot loaded CD/DVD but that is relatively minor on the list of things I don't like.

Of course it would be faster than your laptop, but just about every new desktop will be so not saying much.  You might want to shop around for better deals.

Just my 02 INF

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 06:30:09 PM »
Horridly overpriced, even with the discount. Comparing the prices of some of the configurations I've pitched over past few months on a local tech forum, you'd get similar configuration for $750 or so.

Of course, there's gaming and gaming - you can assemble a decent mid-range rig for approximately $750, and if you can find bargains on some of the parts (or get them second hand or perhaps reuse from an existing rig of yours), even cheaper.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:29:59 PM by The Fifth Horseman »
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 11:17:27 PM »
My biggest gripe with Alienware is that you'll find they're easily 20-30% higher in cost than most places. Mostly because of the name and the case. And while some of the cases look neat, its not cool enough the much higher price tag.  They're not bad computers persay, its just that they're way to overpriced because of their branding

As others have mentioned, you can actually build a better or comparable comp for cheaper.  Or, usually starting in august a lot of places start having back to school sales. And you can find comparable ones that don't start with a 30% mark up before the discount :-)
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

microc

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 05:07:19 PM »
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gdDYmG
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gdDYmG/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($214.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper N520 43.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus H97M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($94.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($50.40 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB ACX Video Card  ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $808.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-29 13:07 EDT-0400

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 06:29:05 PM »
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gdDYmG
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gdDYmG/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($214.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper N520 43.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus H97M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($94.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($50.40 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB ACX Video Card  ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $808.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-29 13:07 EDT-0400

You left off the $100 Windows 7/8 tax

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 08:05:02 PM »
With processors dropping down in speed when they get to hot, I've been using open air cases now for years. I'd suggest one of them if you are going to build your own. They are the best/simplest solution when it comes to keeping your system cool IMHO. Only good if you have a good safe place for the system. Will not take a splash of water like a hard case, etc...
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 09:12:45 PM »
First check whether your university provides you with free OS through DreamSpark (former MSDN Academic Alliance).
If it does, that's one item off the list.

If you have to have a 4690, this may be of interest, since you'd actually have an overclockable 4690K: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vjg923

If not interested in OC, you could save around $50 with an i5-4590, with minor if any actual performance drop:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6rhfnQ

You could alternatively go with a BitFenix Comrade case (matter of preference, thogh - some people would go for the Corsair, some would go for the BitFenix): http://pcpartpicker.com/part/bitfenix-case-bfccom100kkxs1rp
From my own experience, though, I can tell you this cooling won't be a good choice with that case - I've got it with a MSI Z87-G43 mobo (CPU position relative to the rest virtually the same as the Z97-G55) and the motherboard tray obstructs access to the back of the board - there's no way to mount coolers that require mounting the backplate using large nuts like these.
The cooling might be a problem tho, since the case isn't exactly nice for backplate mounts.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:03:29 PM by The Fifth Horseman »
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 09:15:23 PM »
With processors dropping down in speed when they get to hot, I've been using open air cases now for years. I'd suggest one of them if you are going to build your own. They are the best/simplest solution when it comes to keeping your system cool IMHO. Only good if you have a good safe place for the system. Will not take a splash of water like a hard case, etc...

Those things look really neat, but not so good with pets and young'uns. Most of the recent cases like the HAF series have very good airflow, and most cpus de-clock down while they idle. A good air cooler over the stock one is usually more than enough.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 02:41:39 AM »
 Build it yourself.. its not hard.. I built my first PC last year and it was much much easier than I thought.. New Egg has some great videos on how to build your own PC.. I watched them like 5 or 6 times before I did it.. I bought a table.. took my time.. Took like three hours.. I could probably do it in 1 now..

I got a better system than what I could buy for less money..

The only thing I would do different is I would have gotten a bigger SSD.. I would have gone 256...

Seriously.. I recommend anyone build your own PC.. I found the part all over.. Amazon.. New Egg.. Microcenter were some of the best places I used..

The thing about building it myself is I know what I did... I can add an extra video card if I want.. I have plenty of space for more hard drives..

Build it yourself.. seriously.. you will get a better system and save money..

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 04:22:41 AM »
I have built the last 4 computers I've had. I tend to upgrade every 5 years give or take. I have another 2 or 3 years to go on this one.  :P
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 05:31:55 AM »
I am SUPER glad I found PC Part Picker! Thanks! That's an awesome site - I don't think it was around last time I looked into this stuff.

It's still TBD what I'll do, but since the main draw of the AlienWare deal was the free tablet... well, that's sort of not that important. Unless you think a FREE tablet is worth it!!!... Anybody? No?

I would note that while there's a lot of "building it is cheaper!" comments, at least one guide said "maybe you'll save money, maybe you won't." In my opinion, most cost differences I've seen are the convenience or labor cost - yeah, it's more expensive to get a premade system, but they are building it for you.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 06:12:46 AM »
I would note that while there's a lot of "building it is cheaper!" comments, at least one guide said "maybe you'll save money, maybe you won't." In my opinion, most cost differences I've seen are the convenience or labor cost - yeah, it's more expensive to get a premade system, but they are building it for you.
The maybe/maybe thing depends on your part choices, and if you don't feel up to assembling the entire thing there's no shame in finding someone who will do that for you.
A key thing to understand is that many of the prebuilt systems outright suck or are a way for stores to get rid of crappy / outdated parts - sometimes both - and Alienware is charging you extra money just for the name. As you can see from my proposal, a similar configuration can be had for sufficiently cheaper to also fit a small SSD in the whole thing - it's hardly massive, but will do nicely for Intel's Smart Response Technology (aka using an SSD as expanded cache for your hard drive).

There's no shame in paying someone $20 to assemble the system for you on your end, anyway. :)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 06:13:46 AM »
The Venue 7 tablet is MSR $160, and you're paying way more than that for the Alienware name/logo on the outside of your "mostly generic innards". No, it's not worth it. Pay way less for a better machine and buy a damn tablet.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

microc

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 08:08:01 AM »
felderburge, when you look at prebuilts start with the case. is it a standard size case or a smaller case. if it a smaller case what the max length and height for the gpu and cpu cooler and does the case need a special power supply. the newer itx mb are nice for small builds but when you get into small cases for the itx build your limited on the gpu length and height and a lot of the small case have 200-300 watt small power supply. the next part is the power supply lot of dell and hp buy the cheapest parts they can. most of there desktops have 300w units. would not trust them to load the unit near it rated output. you have to spend some of your cash putting in a larger power supply. if you can wait till end of the year intel not only dropping newer brodwell cpu on 1150 mb the newer skylake will be out with ddr-4 ram. also nvidia and amd will be having newer gpu out. a lot of the vendors having foundry issues trying to go to 20mm. you seeing a lot of the newer cpu and gpu dropping at 16mm or smaller next year.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 10:19:38 PM »
 honestly you dont need anyone to build a PC for you.. it is not that hard to build it yourself.. I had NEVER built my own PC before and can hardly call myself a computer expert my any stretch of the imagination.. most of the stuff is take your time.. plug it in.. make sure it works..

If you doubt your ability watch these videos.. Parts 1,2,3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok

I watched these several times before building....

My PC has been running perfectly fine for a little over a year and a half with no issues..

I installed everything myself including a self enclosed water cooler for the CPU and upgraded some of the fans over the stock ones.. Its pretty much everything I need..

I5-3570K 3.4 GB CPU
16 Megs of Ram ( it was a BOGO sale.. so easy choice over 8 )
Windows 64
Samsung 830 128MB SSD as a boot drive
WD Black 1 TB HD for storage
Asus DVD/CD Burner
Nvidia Geoforce 560Ti Video Card
Wifi Adaptor
Bluetooth Adaptor.
Corsair 750W Power Supply
Msi-z77a-gd65 Motherboard

Upgraded the stock case fans with better quality fan..
Interior has a nice Blue/Black/White theme with some lighted fans in white.. looks cool at night..

Now I have plenty of room in the case for additional harddrives.. fans.. and another video card easily..

I have a system that I can grow with.. replace parts.. upgrade if I need to quite easily..

and again.. I had never built a PC before building this one.. I was very concerned but people like Hyperstrike Father Xmas and NewChemicals encouraged me..

It was well worth it and I figured i saved around 400 bucks easily because I couldnt build anything with Alienware or any other company for the same money..

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 11:09:48 AM »
I would note that while there's a lot of "building it is cheaper!"

Actually, while in SOME cases, building is about "cheaper", the thing is, big OEMs like Dell can bury you on price ANYTIME, even just with their bulk discounts.

What "build your own" is PRIMARILY about is CONTROL.  Control of your system and what's in it.

As for building your own vs buying.  Either's equally valid.  Some people just don't feel comfortable building.  Or don't have the patience for it.
And, with several builders, the actual price premium for having the system assembled is fairly small.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 11:46:33 AM »
Actually, while in SOME cases, building is about "cheaper", the thing is, big OEMs like Dell can bury you on price ANYTIME, even just with their bulk discounts.

What "build your own" is PRIMARILY about is CONTROL.  Control of your system and what's in it.

As for building your own vs buying.  Either's equally valid.  Some people just don't feel comfortable building.  Or don't have the patience for it.
And, with several builders, the actual price premium for having the system assembled is fairly small.
Plus, you get the added versatility, with a machine you build yourself. :)