Author Topic: Not Dead Yet!  (Read 12680 times)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
Not Dead Yet!
« on: April 18, 2013, 03:46:06 AM »
Hey fellow Capes and Masks. I haven't posted here in a while, and I'm about to tell you why!

Basically, Grimmy's house of cards fell in. I'm currently unemployed and homeless, and have relocated to Portland, Oregon. I might have a job lined up, but nothing's definite yet. In the mean time I'm bumming around...uh...being a bum. I guess. Heh. I also learned that a friend of mine died recently, compounding a whole mess of personal issues.

I still believe in this great community and the fight to get our City back. Even in my current situation, I am still fully committed to restoring our great city and going home some day. Keep fighting strong, everyone. I'll be here when I can, from time to time. You're my friends. You're my family. I will persevere, and post when I can.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
Re: Not Dead Yet!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 03:57:54 AM »
Best of luck to you DrakeGrimm!
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 03:59:24 AM »
Good luck Drake. Take care. Our problems are small and petty compared to yours.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 04:21:52 AM »
I hope it all works out sooner than later :( I live in the area too, and all I know is that its one of the better places to be homeless :/
Woo! - Argent Girl

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 04:25:05 AM »
Woof. That's a harsh turn of events, I'm sorry to hear it. Here's hoping things turn around for you soon. Stay safe out there, hero!

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 01:37:11 PM »
What are your skills? I can keep an ear out.

Surelle

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 02:31:08 PM »
Awwww, Drake!   :-[

Keep your spirits up-- I know what you mean about jobs; my company treats us like we're all about to lose ours any minute.  That's not exactly the most comforting feeling, especially as I'm a single mom with two kids to support.   :P

If you can get access to a public library, you can get free internet access there every day (at least any in the SAILS network of libraries offer it).  Then try https://www.edx.org/courses and also https://www.coursera.org/  because they both offer totally free Harvard, M.I.T. and other college courses.

I'm signing up right now.   ;D  I don't know exactly what I want to do yet.  I may possibly get back into game reviewing from home, for which I need CSS/HTML knowledge, because I'm an old lady who hails from the days of gaming magazine publishing, not online publishing.

I am checking out digital forensics, too, because it is said that there are more jobs out there for it than there are people to do it.  And when there's a really high demand for workers in a field, they may be more lenient in accepting a shorter degree or certificate program for it.

I will probably sign up for a community college or online regionally-accredited college like APU in the fall, but first I want to cement down which direction I'd like to go in.

I hope this helps you, too.  And good luck!

ObsidianPhoenix76

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 03:42:15 PM »
Man that's a bummer dude.  Keep your chin up and you will land on your feet.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 12:07:52 AM »
I wish you the best of luck and hope you land on your feed soon.  It took me 4 years to find another job when I lost mine.  Don't give up no matter what.

As my mice would say, "No surrender!"
No Surrender!

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 12:18:39 AM »
I lived in Portland many years ago, but no more.

Hang in there, man. or I'll rip your arms off, and then beat you down with a chicken.  8)

Botzo

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 02:46:53 AM »
Give the Post Office a shot. It's kinda random but lately they've been hiring and are looking to do another wave of people soon, as the average age of a postal employee is 51. As doom and gloom the PO is looking (many other jobs look the same as well anyway), it's mainly because the government keeps putting it's hand in the PO's cookie jar despite not receiving back from them. ( we don't get paid by taxes)

It's actually how I'm working right now. It's terrible hours to start (as in WAY too much) but it balances out over time. And the process of application to working goes pretty quick. Just keep an eye out on the PO website as the job posting almost disappears as fast as it is put up.

Sleepy Wonder

• Boss
  • MWM: Programmer, UI Designer, Bases
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 06:20:30 AM »
Hey fellow Capes and Masks. I haven't posted here in a while, and I'm about to tell you why!

Basically, Grimmy's house of cards fell in. I'm currently unemployed and homeless, and have relocated to Portland, Oregon. I might have a job lined up, but nothing's definite yet. In the mean time I'm bumming around...uh...being a bum. I guess. Heh. I also learned that a friend of mine died recently, compounding a whole mess of personal issues.

I still believe in this great community and the fight to get our City back. Even in my current situation, I am still fully committed to restoring our great city and going home some day. Keep fighting strong, everyone. I'll be here when I can, from time to time. You're my friends. You're my family. I will persevere, and post when I can.

I don't know you, but I'd like to wish you the best of luck.

Given the way things are in the US, it's always inevitable that somewhere, someone has to draw the short straw.

If all else fails, you could opt for the military. If you have any interest in doing so, gimmie a PM before speaking with a recruiter.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 07:53:13 AM »
DrakeGrimm...thoughts and good wishes from your 'family' here are being sent. Hang in there, and remember your strengths and who you are!

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 01:50:55 PM »
Good luck and hope things get better soon grimmy...when one of us is in pain...this is a family.  A family not of blood, but one of heart and soul.  Even thousands of miles away you are in my prayers.

Quantumhero

AP33 Forever
The Phoenix Project
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 02:56:34 PM »
DrakeGrimm: sorry about your friend; terrible these things seem to happen one after another. Been there, done that.
Be a pest until you get hired somewhere. Your friends will forgive you when they see you are
on your feet again.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 07:27:13 PM »
Thank you for all the well wishes, it truly lifts my spirits. (Getting a good night's sleep indoors for once helped, too.)

As for my own skillsets, most of my background is in customer service and retail, though I'm also skilled at writing, creative thinking, and have a decent technical background both as a hobbyist and after three years of technical support. I'm not exactly unhire-able, but it's going to take time. I'll continue to hang in here, but as we all know, it's always darkest just before dawn.

The light at the end of the tunnel is visible, and given the rate at which it's snail-pacing towards me, I'm pretty sure it's not a train. Just have to keep forging ahead. Again, thank you all. I really appreciate the support.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 08:42:34 AM »
Drake, I would like to repost, for you,  a post I had made in another thread.

I would like to relay to you all a story of hope.

July 25, 2012, I became one of the masses of the unemployed. I filed for unemployment and all the usual stuff that people do when they are dismissed from their jobs. My previous employer appealed my application for Unemployment Insurance. I won the case by default; They never showed up for arbitration. Over the next 6 months, I collected my unemployment checks while looking for work. Only one place called me back. It was a job in the security field. But, they only had a shift comprised of 2 days (16 hours for the week) that they could give me, at minimum wage, I might add. I got more from Unemployment than I would from them, and I had bills I could barely afford as it was. Three Weeks ago, on Thursday, I get a call from a company I had never heard about before. They had seen my resume on the Caljobs website and wanted to know if I was still looking for work. Long story short, I was hired that very day. I now work 9 hours a day, making more than what I was getting on Unemployment. And, they looked for me.

Dum Spero Spiro
Thought it might help brighten that light at the end of the tunnel some. :)
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 02:37:49 PM »
Keep your chin up! You've got a good skillset for the sort of gigs that show up here in P-Town, so I'm sure you'll line something up soon.

Slide by The Lovecraft sometime...I'll buy you a drink!

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 10:28:33 PM »
Keep your chin up! You've got a good skillset for the sort of gigs that show up here in P-Town, so I'm sure you'll line something up soon.

Slide by The Lovecraft sometime...I'll buy you a drink!

I -have- been meaning to hit them up... (Because how can you NOT? It's The Lovecraft.)

So, a bit of an update. I might have a job lined up. We're still doing the paperwork two-step, and I haven't had my drug test yet(I don't use. I'll pass it easily.), but until those official things are taken care of, I don't want to sit here and go "whew, that's over with" and then have something go wrong. Your continued support makes these trying times a lot less stressful, and I appreciate it. You guys are all prime examples of why I want my City back: best citizens and community on Earth. I just find it amusing that it takes a fictional, virtual city to bring together the nicest, most amazing people.

Stay super, my friends. The world needs our light.

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 05:41:43 PM »
Stay super, my friends. The world needs our light.

I couldn't resist.  I had to make this a reality.
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 09:28:40 PM »
And this is why I love you guys.  ;D

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 02:14:02 AM »
We love ya too.  A community that cares.  Please keep us posted, 'kay?

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 01:23:04 PM »
Fingers crossed for you!

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 09:37:32 PM »
Here's an update, for those interested!

The job I kind of, sort of have is dragging its feet a bit in getting me started. I think I finally leaped the last remaining hurdle to getting hours, but I'm unsure as of yet. I haven't heard back from either of my managers yet, so we'll see.

I managed to finally get an Oregon EBT card, so I at least have access to food. However, I'm still on the street, so I don't have access to regular hot meals. The lack of a kitchen, fridge, or microwave really limits my ability to shop. (Tips along this vein would be appreciated!)

I also got PayPal to send me a debit card. A few friends have already helped out, and if anyone's interested, my paypal ID is akukaishi@gmail.com if you wish to help out. Please note, I don't expect anyone to chip in, this is just a way for those who want to help out to make my life a little easier. That's also my personal email address, so if anyone wants to send me a message away from the boards, for whatever reason, I can be reached there.

tl;dr: Grimmy is surviving, but Grimmy is getting mentally and emotionally exhausted.

I will persevere, however. I know a great community is here to back me up, and that together we will restore my City to its rightful place.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 09:58:48 PM »
Grimm, one thing you can look into, the local LDS church should be able to direct you to the Bishop's Store House, and they may even be able to help you find temporary shelter. The Bishop's Store House exists for people exactly in your situation. If you like, I can try to find the contact information of the Bishop for the ward nearest you, if you can give me a zip code or something from which to work.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 02:53:54 PM »
I am now working. Money's still amazingly tight, with EBT almost drained for the month and anything else I have already earmarked for necessary items, but there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Given how ridiculously slowly it is moving, I'm also fairly certain it is not, in fact, a train. >.>

To those who have shown their support and understanding during this time, thank you very much. I'm not out of the woods yet, but I can at least see the path. I never would have made it this far without amazing and wonderful people like the City community in my life. I miss our City, every day, but as long as we're all still together working towards restoring it, the sting isn't quite so bad.

*leaves out huggles for all!*

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2013, 06:14:52 AM »
Portland, eh? Funny. That's where the show Grimm takes place, and I think is also filmed... Ironic? I THINK NOT!
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 04:21:11 PM »
If I had a nickle for every time someone said something along these lines, I'd have a deposit for an apartment this time tomorrow. ;)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2013, 02:45:45 AM »
Kind of a micro-update here. Still employed, still working. Get paid Friday, which is good, because I just ran out of food. EBT has ten bucks on it, so I think I can scrape something together for the next couple days. Hoping that I can scrape together enough to cover transit costs for the week end, in case something goes wrong with my first check, but worst case, I call in sick. I don't particularly want to do that, since I need every hour I can get to work up a deposit on a place, but I'll survive.

Again, thanks to everyone who has given their support. This is truly the greatest community. I'm almost out of the woods. If I can bounce back, so can our City. I have faith in that.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 11:57:14 PM »
You belong to our family, DrakeGrimm....family (blood related or chosen) hangs in there and supports and loves.

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2013, 12:27:49 AM »
Great job!  Don't give up no matter what. 
No Surrender!

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2013, 03:02:48 PM »
I am "not fired."

They've pulled me off my program claiming it's a "poor fit" and are looking to put me in another program. The bottom line, I'm not getting hours or income, and I'm technically still employed. I've already been shopping my resume around, but this is kind of a soul-crushing blow for me. Still, I shall persevere--mostly due to all the kind words from this community. Thanks guys, you really do make the darkest tunnel seem only slightly dim. :)

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2013, 07:08:23 PM »
Drake,

I don't think I ever knew you in game, man, but that's not stopping me from wishing you the best on all this.  Take care, and keep pushing through.

Tubbius, from Justice

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 09:50:30 AM »
Dear DrakeGrimm,  Sorry you are having to deal with such a difficult situation and life experience.  I am glad you have your wits and are keeping your spirit intact and upbeat 'cause I am sure that alone is no easy task.  I haven't personally experienced what you are going thru so my RealLifeTM offers no guidance.  I imagine you have already spoken with county Health & Human Services and that they can offer no assistance beyond EBT.  I recall that looking for work is often a job in itself.  I am certain you are open to possibility and opportunity, while using your judgement and discernment about the more likely and/or optimal course(s) of action.  If your skills and experience are a match, certainly consider county and/or the city as an employer; ditto for non-profits.  I know I would avail myself of food banks and likely most other assistance and services for which I qualified.  Holding a good thought and hoping fortune soon smiles again, DrakeGrimm.  Take good care and stay awesome!
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine