Author Topic: City of Heroes' Spiritual Successor Kickstarter on Massively  (Read 35664 times)

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
Re: City of Heroes' Spiritual Successor Kickstarter on Massively
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2013, 06:17:58 PM »
I'm very surprised by the amount of argument and debate that this kickstarter project has started

You shouldn't be.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Allotrion

• Underling
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2013, 08:14:33 PM »
Just poppin' in to pledge my support when the KS kicks off.  I've been missing my CoH fix quite fiercely and have had to forcefully push my wallet back into my pocket.  It spontaneously leaps out of my pocket yelling "take mah moneyz, NAO".  I fear these episodes will only get more frequent as we get closer to Sept 8th.  I may need an intervention soon.   ;D

Keep up the good work.  Looking forward to seeing new shinies trickling out.

-Asha'Man

NoName

• Minion
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2013, 09:50:06 PM »
*facepalms*

Isnt that what someone got called a troll for in the other article for calling tony a kool aid drinker of the anti-ncsoft sort or rather a shill?

but I guess we can call them ncsoft kool aid drinkers and shills all day and night but it's not considered trolling. Funny how that rule works in our favor at our convenience. :p (Sarcastic but slightly serious snark not directed at NoNAme in particular but a current trend I been noticing with the expectation/demanding of them giving us respect but refusing to show any semblance to anyone else at all.)

"Seriously? How can this be anything but doa? Currently racking up debt (vounteers and engine) with a game that was already failing? And all of this assumes they do not cross a line and have NcSoft sue them into oblivion because of copyright."

Originally posted by Markusrind

Quantify failing? Was still financially profitable when it was shut and that is what usually causes these things to close. So a team with reasonable expectations could keep it going and still earn a profit...win win if you ask me.

"Nope. It was shown that revenue was up, but I have not seen any proof of the game being actually profitable. The amount of support gathered was less than what was put forth in a similar bid by the Galaxies fanboy's when the Nge happened to get back pre cu/nge servers (which is sad because they had similar sized player bases at that point)."

Also, you really think they would be doing this if there wasn't an agreement in place?

"Yes. This sort of extremely small, extremely tightknit niche held together by dreams I easily see doing just that. Look at original CoH, flying under the radar until Marvel saw encroachment to copyright and then they were sued into oblivion till they settled out of court."

The posts in quotes are from a MMORPG user that ironically has an avatar of himself dressed as Captain America. One of the game he is most looking forward to playing....Wildstar.

I just call it as I see it.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2013, 10:28:33 PM »
I agree with NoName.  These people don't have "serious, legitimate questions" - they're just spouting half-remembered "facts" they vaguely remember hearing on the internet somewhere or they're just making it up as they go along.  They're sniping nasty comments from the sidelines purely for the sake of doing so and they wish us ill.

Calling them trolls is just stating the obvious.  This is not hypocrisy on our part - it's just being minimally observant.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2013, 10:39:33 PM »
"Seriously? How can this be anything but doa? Currently racking up debt (vounteers and engine) with a game that was already failing? And all of this assumes they do not cross a line and have NcSoft sue them into oblivion because of copyright."

Originally posted by Markusrind

Quantify failing? Was still financially profitable when it was shut and that is what usually causes these things to close. So a team with reasonable expectations could keep it going and still earn a profit...win win if you ask me.

"Nope. It was shown that revenue was up, but I have not seen any proof of the game being actually profitable. The amount of support gathered was less than what was put forth in a similar bid by the Galaxies fanboy's when the Nge happened to get back pre cu/nge servers (which is sad because they had similar sized player bases at that point)."

Also, you really think they would be doing this if there wasn't an agreement in place?

"Yes. This sort of extremely small, extremely tightknit niche held together by dreams I easily see doing just that. Look at original CoH, flying under the radar until Marvel saw encroachment to copyright and then they were sued into oblivion till they settled out of court."

The posts in quotes are from a MMORPG user that ironically has an avatar of himself dressed as Captain America. One of the game he is most looking forward to playing....Wildstar.

I just call it as I see it.

Touche, my friend. Touche.

But doesn't mean they are NCSOFT Kool-Aid drinkers. If they didn't shut down COX many of us still would have been looking forward to playing wildstar and other games also. Remember not everyone that is steaming mad at ncsoft is automatically a ncsoft backer or drinking the kool aid just as if someone promits the new game or is mad at ncsoft isn't automatically drinking the hate and destroy ncsoft Kool-Aid. Most people are actually in between and many people just don't care either way about the closing of COX truthfully. Especially those that didn't play COX, which is expected to come across in the public forums outside the COX player realm.

And the lawsuit thing and being sued and etc. have been in discussions, sometimes heated and sometimes saying the same as they said by people that despise ncsoft. Even here that discussion about legalities came up more than once.

But as I said, it's not just that article, in many other articles, many people are quick to pull the troll/ncsoft Kool-Aid drinker card anytime someone say something remotely positive about ncsoft, question the savecox cause, or just don't see what the big deal is. Which is natural because not everyone played cox and not everyone experienced a game shut down and some people will simply shrug when a game get closed and move on to the next. And just as many here cant fanthom why someone would just shrug and move on, they probably cant fathom why someone would make a big fuss about it. And in many cases I seen people from here go on the attack against said people. People here want others to understand what can happen especially when dealing with NCSOFT and want people to listen and or understand why it's important but plug their ears at anything but hate ncsoft and call anyone that is not drinking the hate ncsoft "Kool-Aid" trolls. 

Trolls troll the troll which troll the troll which trolls the trolls until no one know who trolled who and the entire point is lost. All I'm saying is we as a whole should try t be a bit more understanding as much as we wish those "trolls" to understand our cause and realize that most of us was once just like them. Back in 2010, someone said anything negative or point out ncsoft business practice they was flamed off the forum (remember the term "Doom!sayers" name calling that was thrown around??) of cox because many couldn't understand it.

Yeah sometimes trolls will be trolls plain and simple but not everything that is for ncsoft or indifferent is a troll or ncsoft Kool-Aid drinker. And to be perfectly honest, some trolls are expected because at first many people of this cause wasn't the exactly the nicest people to be around when getting the word out about what happened. Many took it too far and cross the line of informing to forcing their view and emotions onto others. But as long as people continue to call each other trolls and not bothering to stop and think, then it will always be tense us vs them with us or against us. And if we are aiming to inform and change the industry, that line of thinking is very counter productive. Cant expect the other side to think and be civil if this side never bother to extend and try to be civil themselves and instead just call everything and anyone outside a troll.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 10:50:56 PM by JaguarX »

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2013, 11:17:40 PM »
You shouldn't be.
Yes, it's almost as if someone heading a potentially competing product has spurred on the quarreling.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2013, 06:16:28 PM »
1.  The reality is that it is a  superficial PR piece and nothing more -- KS on 9/8.
(etc.,)

I said it on Massively, and I'll say it here - this /isn't/ a PR piece. Massively have ran an article about the fact that some of the team did an interview with Polygon. We didn't put anything out there, this wasn't off a press release from me - Polygon, who interviewed us before, wanted to know how we were getting on, and we told them.

Various other gaming sites, including Massively, have 'lifted' that interview and used it to create their own article :) Other sites have picked up on it and asked to carry out interview with us, as a result of it. To date, I have only sent out one press release, and that was the one announcing our presence to the world :)
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2013, 12:16:36 AM »
Ignore the uniformed.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2013, 04:49:39 AM »
Ignore the uniformed.
What do you have against uniforms?

Personally i'm looking forward to the Kickstarter. There have been a few Kickstarters that were successfully completed and then the team took the money and ran, but i've seen many, many more where it actually resulted in a completed project. And, of course, there are all the Kickstarter campaigns that don't meet their goals, which means you're out no money at all. Depending on my current finances i'll probably pledge something in the upper tiers, but since most of my creative work is making quasi-robotic looking sculptures out of scrap and assorted materials or designing assorted setting concepts, characters and mechanicals for RPGs and fictional settings as verbal and visual sketches that later become sculptures there's not a lot of work i do that readily translates into a video game or general 3D engine ready art.

Cases in point:

So most of my support would be the Kickstarter and helping with word of mouth type stuff.

Regardless i intend to do what i can to help MWM and TPP succeed.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2013, 04:56:28 AM »
I like.

That second to last picture looks like something I could see in a game, armed with a turrent or something. At first glance I thought it was that little robot guide thing off Doom 3. Real good work.

And that last picture looks like something that I seen in a Tool video. That definitely could be some steam punk based boss there in a game. Like a twisted version of clockwork. Good stuff there.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2013, 01:51:34 PM »
I said it on Massively, and I'll say it here - this /isn't/ a PR piece. Massively have ran an article about the fact that some of the team did an interview with Polygon. We didn't put anything out there, this wasn't off a press release from me - Polygon, who interviewed us before, wanted to know how we were getting on, and we told them.

Various other gaming sites, including Massively, have 'lifted' that interview and used it to create their own article :) Other sites have picked up on it and asked to carry out interview with us, as a result of it. To date, I have only sent out one press release, and that was the one announcing our presence to the world :)
[/color]
This is very positive, guys! The media is, voluntarily,still following City of Heroes, and it's community! All I see is a win/win.
City of Heroes is still getting press, and we, the gaming community, gets another superhero MMO! :)
/em holdtorch

Tiberian Fiend

• Minion
  • Canis tiberius
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2013, 05:34:44 PM »
Just my quick advice: if you're not ready to show off the costume editor yet, you're not ready to show off the game.  We may all have our reasons for staying as long as we did, but the initial draw of CoH was its unprecedented flexibility of character creation.
The Titantic Tiberian Fiend

Tiberian Fiend

• Minion
  • Canis tiberius
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2013, 05:37:12 PM »
Yes, it's almost as if someone heading a potentially competing product has spurred on the quarreling.
I don't think you'll have to worry about anything but promises coming from the competition.
The Titantic Tiberian Fiend

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2013, 06:35:38 PM »

I'm going to nitpick since you quoted me -- PR piece = public relations piece, not press release piece.  You may have issued one press release that is entirely unrelated, but your team has waded into public relations by conducting these interviews. Similarly (and as a small piece of advice), you may have a public relations (PR) nightmare on your hands if you have your team members running into multiple threads combatting trolls.  ( ' :
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
Nyx, seriously amazing looking work!

@Tiberian Fiend Sadly, I have to agree. I no longer expect anything to come of the H&V project, for various reasons. Not least of which is that if GG keeps consistently slandering the other projects, she's gonna chase all her support away eventually.

Also, on the character creator - TPP has been hoarding the good stuff for the KS like parents hiding the Christmas presents in the closet. I can't say any details because that would be a breach of trust to the TPP members who've made casual mentions in Skype and Facebook chat, but there's plenty to show off. Oh wait, no, I can say this much: Blockman isn't always there because there's only blockman. Sometimes - I suspect even most of the time - he's there because the models that could be in his place are a surprise.

In the meantime TPP's new site should come out soon, and the update whenever they finally get the last tangles unraveled in the restructure. Stuff keeps happening there. But that should all provide relevant information as far as how to respond to the kickstarter (for those who still want to see some proof of stability and such first - which is perfectly fine and understandable).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 02:13:16 PM by The White Rager »

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2013, 09:36:45 PM »
I'm going to nitpick since you quoted me -- PR piece = public relations piece, not press release piece.  You may have issued one press release that is entirely unrelated, but your team has waded into public relations by conducting these interviews. Similarly (and as a small piece of advice), you may have a public relations (PR)...

Ah, apologies. PR teams to stand for press release here.  Excuse my Englishness :-)
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2013, 07:25:43 AM »
Ah, apologies. PR teams to stand for press release here.  Excuse my Englishness :-)
I think it depends on the line of work you're in as well...

Your Englishness seems fine to me. :)
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Nightwatch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2013, 11:11:26 AM »
Looking forward to the Kickstarter which I think will be oversubscribed.

I've never donated to one before.  Can someone in the UK donate to a US Kickstarter?

If I'm legally allowed I will be donating to this one AND to the other Plan Zs when they start.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2013, 07:17:49 AM »
I've never donated to one before.  Can someone in the UK donate to a US Kickstarter?

If I'm legally allowed I will be donating to this one AND to the other Plan Zs when they start.
I know of no reason why you can't contribute.  And you can contribute to 100 Kickstarter projects if you feel like spending the money.