Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 724988 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #2120 on: August 14, 2013, 04:01:17 PM »
On the flip side of that, Apple stock, with Jobs back at the helm of the company, went from $10 to nearly $400 over ten years. Most companies aren't that tied to the public psyche, though. This thread is more for the gratification of those who want to see NC$oft fail, and there really isn't any other publicly available metric to use. Is it essentially meaningless? Absolutely. But people need to find hope and satisfaction in different ways. For some, it's watching a graph from one day to the next.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2121 on: August 14, 2013, 07:07:53 PM »
On the flip side of that, Apple stock, with Jobs back at the helm of the company, went from $10 to nearly $400 over ten years. Most companies aren't that tied to the public psyche, though. This thread is more for the gratification of those who want to see NC$oft fail, and there really isn't any other publicly available metric to use. Is it essentially meaningless? Absolutely. But people need to find hope and satisfaction in different ways. For some, it's watching a graph from one day to the next.
don't think I could've said it better.

To many, symbols and visuals matter the most, the appearance and hope that they are hurting and on the verge of bankruptcy when in reality, most long term investors (That I know of) don't care or even worry about little dips and usually just buy more at that point. They are looking at long term, 5 years and up.

And some companies stock look "healthy" then the company crash. A lot of people forget that GM been in bad shape for years before declaring bankruptcy and the media circus that followed, which then the stock went down the tube, but GM was already in the tube long prior.

Just about every company stock sheet looks like a seismometer located in a place that have constant earthquakes and volcanos.

But right now, since the stock is most visual thing and a symbol of wealth, people grab onto that and celebrate every little dip as a victory of "teaching them a lesson" for closing down the game.

The thread is titles stock watch, but truthfully, the real purpose is obvious. As you notice, many don't say a single word or post when the stock rises, but jump on with joy when it goes down. It's really "NCSOFT stock watch and hope it crash" thread. But I doubt it will crash anytime soon, probably to many dismay. It's just doing what Father Xmas explained it was doing.  Yet, dont fret, they will have their chance to "stick it to the man" soon enough. But first they have to escape the power that NCSOFT still apparently hold over the emotions in the way that some seem to live breath think about NCSOFT 24/7, while NCSOFT probably haven't given so much as a thought probably since their last statement shortly after release. I doubt ncsoft counted on many angry players to go to their other games or give them money. Or they would be silly to think so. And of course they probably wont re-release COX even if they wanted to. If people mean what they say then it's guaranteed that it will make even less money, making it not even worth re-release in it's current form. Thus the ex-customers gave them no reason to even consider bringing it back.   
Make the successors succeed, support it like nothing have been supported before in the history of games, and become a real threat in the form of competition that they created and take over the market. A tall order but that is probably the only way to "get back" at NCSOFT in way that is beyond hollow words and being angry 24/7 for the rest of the life. Because quite frankly, I don't think NCSOFT from their actions gives a crap about some people being angry and not giving $15 a month. Their prerogative. As long as people keep NCSOFT on the mind all day every day and angry and stuff and add to their traffic numbers on their sites NCSOFT is really winning. Ads and sponsors don't look at comments, they look at traffic

Want to win? Victory is already waiting people just have to claim it. We have games being built, we gained knowledge about the sledge of the corporate gaming world and how it can burn people. Hopefully not taking for granted the people that many used to flame in the past when they tried to warn us about the way corporations in the gaming world work and the risks. And we'll have a home where no one can take away with absolutely no control that NCSOFT have. We already won, it's just that some people don't seem to realize it yet.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #2122 on: August 15, 2013, 04:12:53 AM »
don't think I could've said it better.

To many, symbols and visuals matter the most, the appearance and hope that they are hurting and on the verge of bankruptcy when in reality, most long term investors (That I know of) don't care or even worry about little dips and usually just buy more at that point. They are looking at long term, 5 years and up.

And some companies stock look "healthy" then the company crash. A lot of people forget that GM been in bad shape for years before declaring bankruptcy and the media circus that followed, which then the stock went down the tube, but GM was already in the tube long prior.

Just about every company stock sheet looks like a seismometer located in a place that have constant earthquakes and volcanos.

But right now, since the stock is most visual thing and a symbol of wealth, people grab onto that and celebrate every little dip as a victory of "teaching them a lesson" for closing down the game.

The thread is titles stock watch, but truthfully, the real purpose is obvious. As you notice, many don't say a single word or post when the stock rises, but jump on with joy when it goes down. It's really "NCSOFT stock watch and hope it crash" thread. But I doubt it will crash anytime soon, probably to many dismay. It's just doing what Father Xmas explained it was doing.  Yet, dont fret, they will have their chance to "stick it to the man" soon enough. But first they have to escape the power that NCSOFT still apparently hold over the emotions in the way that some seem to live breath think about NCSOFT 24/7, while NCSOFT probably haven't given so much as a thought probably since their last statement shortly after release. I doubt ncsoft counted on many angry players to go to their other games or give them money. Or they would be silly to think so. And of course they probably wont re-release COX even if they wanted to. If people mean what they say then it's guaranteed that it will make even less money, making it not even worth re-release in it's current form. Thus the ex-customers gave them no reason to even consider bringing it back.   
Make the successors succeed, support it like nothing have been supported before in the history of games, and become a real threat in the form of competition that they created and take over the market. A tall order but that is probably the only way to "get back" at NCSOFT in way that is beyond hollow words and being angry 24/7 for the rest of the life. Because quite frankly, I don't think NCSOFT from their actions gives a crap about some people being angry and not giving $15 a month. Their prerogative. As long as people keep NCSOFT on the mind all day every day and angry and stuff and add to their traffic numbers on their sites NCSOFT is really winning. Ads and sponsors don't look at comments, they look at traffic

Want to win? Victory is already waiting people just have to claim it. We have games being built, we gained knowledge about the sledge of the corporate gaming world and how it can burn people. Hopefully not taking for granted the people that many used to flame in the past when they tried to warn us about the way corporations in the gaming world work and the risks. And we'll have a home where no one can take away with absolutely no control that NCSOFT have. We already won, it's just that some people don't seem to realize it yet.

Wow.  I agree with Jaguar for once.  Well said.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #2123 on: August 15, 2013, 05:24:53 AM »
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/14/ncsoft-sales-are-up-income-is-down/

"It looks as though North American sales has decreased from Q1, but an increase in Japanese and Korean sales has more than made up for the loss."

Good for NCSoft. Here's hoping they keep inching out, and then stay out.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2124 on: August 15, 2013, 02:21:52 PM »

"It looks as though North American sales has decreased from Q1, but an increase in Japanese and Korean sales has more than made up for the loss."

But as I pointed out, factoring out GW2 from the combined NA+EU sales then Aion/L2/GW sales are less than $3 million for the quarter.  But GW2 is nearly $26 million.  Once Wildstar hits I would expect to see another surge here in NA was well as the EU.  If anything a successful launch of Wildstar may force them to realize that Asian style MMOs simply don't fly here and the proper strategy all along is separate east and west style MMOs as oppose to trying to find a universal one.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2125 on: August 15, 2013, 11:05:05 PM »
If anything a successful launch of Wildstar may force them to realize that Asian style MMOs simply don't fly here and the proper strategy all along is separate east and west style MMOs as oppose to trying to find a universal one.
That would require some degree of actual intelligence, rational thought and business acumen.  You might want to lower your expectations since this is, after all, NCSoft we're talking about here...

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #2126 on: August 15, 2013, 11:50:52 PM »
That would require some degree of actual intelligence, rational thought and business acumen.  You might want to lower your expectations since this is, after all, NCSoft we're talking about here...

Intelligence? I dunno. Self-awareness, certainly.

:D
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2127 on: August 16, 2013, 01:24:14 PM »
And the investors have voted and they are generally not pleased.  Maybe because they had a day to think about it due to a national holiday in South Korea but the stock plummeted 6.9% to 169,000.  I'm guessing the lack of diversity as to which products had sales growth, which was none other than Grandpappy Lineage may have caused it.  Or the larger than average reduction between Operating Profits and Net Profits.

KDB Daewoo updated their forecast the day before and they are now saying Wildstar won't be released this year.  According to Massively (which I looked at after reading this) the conference call only mentioned the results of the Wildstar beta will dictate it's release schedule (well I damn well hope so, nah lets ship a broken game).  They also announced 7-8 mobile games will be released by years end.  And once again KDB suggests that a GW2 paid expansion, just now in 2014 but now I'm betting they are simply trying to bolster their forecasts.  They also believe B&S and GW2 will be in China by the 4Q.  They are sticking with their 250,000 KrW price target.  Oops.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:38:10 PM by FatherXmas »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2128 on: August 17, 2013, 05:13:52 PM »

Ditto. Go, and stay gone. Since they seem to view Western players as so many unruly barnyard animals anyway, I am not sure what motivates them to stay here at all. Do us all a favor, go to China and stay gone.

We will have "won" the day Phoenix Project launches, and not before.

Meanwhile I am pootling around in the Low-Rent District, aka as CO. Baby it is a poor substitute. But in a way, familiar. Yes, here is another dirty warehouse. Yep, here's a backlot of cargo containers. Here's a car trying to run me over as I cross the street - it seemed in CoX too, that NPC cars were programmed to try and block your way. Yup, here comes an ambush.

Familiar. But I have learned an important lesson! I don't know where PWE is based, but trust them for one instant I will not. The plug could be pulled at any moment, so I will wait to fall in love until we see PP.

Good job, NC. You created extreme distrust and paranoia amongst tens of thousands of players.... way to sell your product. Yes, focus on China. We'll all thank you in the end.

Beltor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2129 on: August 20, 2013, 12:54:06 AM »
I'm not sure about their international office but Perfect World was originally based in China. I played it before it went global. It was poorly translated with only one english server. The ping was over 300 like many overseas servers were, due to distance. PWE grew alot since then. They're better than NC$oft, but who isn't.

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2130 on: August 26, 2013, 11:49:10 PM »
It's too bad we're not all stinking rich. We could continuously buy up NCSoft stock in an attempt at a hostile takeover.

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
  • A person who does stuff.
« Reply #2131 on: August 27, 2013, 01:02:40 AM »
It's too bad we're not all stinking rich. We could continuously buy up NCSoft stock in an attempt at a hostile takeover.

I'm a little curious as to whether somebody has looked into the feasibility of this.
BadWolf: "The point that JaguarX is trying to make, of course, is that City of Heroes is like a tree. And Google is like a Toyota...Corolla...? Which would make NCSoft a trespasser, shot by...um, Mister T...which is good, because diplomacy...?"

The internet is full of Comedy Gold.

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2132 on: August 27, 2013, 01:29:12 AM »
I'm a little curious as to whether somebody has looked into the feasibility of this.

Yeah, let's all chip in to the Titan Network so it can get a bank loan for an LBO. I think such an action, if it succeeded, would make the freakin' evening news.  :o

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2133 on: August 27, 2013, 01:34:50 AM »
Or heck, maybe if you could get that far, they'd make a last minute offer to release to us all rights and materials related to CoH in exchange for us getting off their backs. lol

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2134 on: August 27, 2013, 01:43:14 AM »
Of course this means that the Titan Network will have to officially become a for-profit video game developing/publishing company. But I suppose that anything could be possible!

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2135 on: August 27, 2013, 04:17:37 AM »

I'm not a financial analyst, but I can do math.

Judging by today's closing information, NCsoft has roughly 22,000,000 shares outstanding, trading at roughly $150 each. That's over $3 billion left in their market cap. I don't know how much of that would need to be purchased to be considered a takeover attempt, but even 0.0001% of that is probably more than most people have to spend.

tl;dr -- Save your money to help fund a Plan Z project.

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2136 on: August 27, 2013, 04:46:52 AM »
What if we used Plan Z to fund a takeover attempt?

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2137 on: August 27, 2013, 05:13:26 AM »
I wonder what happens when they run out countries with gamers they haven't alienated yet.  Stress on yet, as they just can't seem to help themselves...

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2138 on: August 27, 2013, 10:31:31 PM »
What if we used Plan Z to fund a takeover attempt?
I'd rather see Plan Z funded to bring a spiritual successor to City of Heroes to the market, but that's just me.

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2139 on: August 31, 2013, 12:52:24 AM »
No I meant that once Plan Z becomes reality and goes live, we try to use it to help us get back CoH.

And I don't know, maybe if we get that far then we can integrate the two together?