Author Topic: With the change to guildwars service is it time to mass mail ncsoft again?  (Read 7020 times)

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
Guildwars 1 is supposed to be running now with just a "skeleton crew" and no further development instead of shutting down. Has anyone thought about contacting ncsoft? I'm wondering if it's as simple as flipping some switches to turn the servers back on and enabling city of heroes as a game in the ncsoft master account login. The game should still be in the same data center.  Perhaps it's time to mass mail ncsoft again?

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Well I wouldnt recommend "mass mailing them" again. I think it annoyed them a bit much last time and if the purpose is to see if they might have changed their mind and might be in the mood to see if they can flip the switches on.

Maybe a designated few of well written letters. Like a proposal or something. At least to get the healing process started that maybe in the future they may retcon COX back and give it maintance mode treatment. But if continue to antagonize them and antagonizing them is the goal, they probably will just dig their heels in deeper and move furtehr back from ever turning the game on again, if it means not having to deal with the "player base" in that manner ever again.

The downside could be that they know how this player base react to shut downs and may not be itching to go through that possibility again with this playerbase. Thus might have no intention or hurry to reopen COX again under their name again because if shut down in the future must happen, why go through the same stuff again instead of of just leaving it be? Assuming if selling it is not an option or a desire.

Tahliah

• Lieutenant
This kind of . . . um, to stay polite: angers me.  They're going to keep that game going in maint mode but didn't even propose such an option for COH?  Grrrr  I would have paid double the sub price to keep COH (maybe not in maint mode at that price), and I'm sure others here would too if that was the only way to keep our game, but GW was always F2P (I think, it was when I tried it ages ago).  Ugh, nvm, I'm just rambling . . .

I'm not sure a mass email effort would be helpful, but if that's what is decided, I'm in.

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
Arenanet has them over a barrel concerning the Guildwars IP and I theorize that they're far too incompetent and butthurt over our backlash to extend us such kindness.
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
Hmmmm....maybe there's some way to negotiate this?? Perhaps they open it back up in maintenance mode and we all agree to play B&S for a month or two. Just throwing it out there!! LOL!

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
A "mass mailing" should, if you wish to do it, be really a bunch of individuals doing it spontaneously. I don't think Titan should deliberately orchestrate it.

HOWEVER: one thing we should keep in mind as a community is our purpose in such a mass mailing. It is twofold: to encourage NCSoft to continue in this sort of behavior in the future (and, by hopeful extension, other MMO publishers, effectively creating a change in the prevailing attitudes of publishers towards their legacy games); and to potentially persuade them to re-open CoH, by creating a maintenance server or by selling it to somebody who will take it over.

To that end, if you write to them, write a letter praising them for this decision, and thanking them for having heard the voices of the community of the last game they had to make this hard choice over. Lament - politely - that CoH did not get this same fate, and suggest that you would gladly pay a subscription and/or buy things from the cash shop were it still open. Discuss how much money you've saved or spent elsewhere since the closure, and how you still would have preferred to spend it on CoH.

Be positive and nostalgic, and be polite. NCSoft has done something good here, something we asked them to do with our game. Do not be bitter; be hopeful or wistful.

Do ask them to consider making CoH available once more, but close once again thanking them for having made a better decision with GuildWars, and express a hope that this new alignment with regards to their products proves to be a fruitful one, as it is sure to pay dividends in customer loyalty.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
A "mass mailing" should, if you wish to do it, be really a bunch of individuals doing it spontaneously. I don't think Titan should deliberately orchestrate it.

HOWEVER: one thing we should keep in mind as a community is our purpose in such a mass mailing. It is twofold: to encourage NCSoft to continue in this sort of behavior in the future (and, by hopeful extension, other MMO publishers, effectively creating a change in the prevailing attitudes of publishers towards their legacy games); and to potentially persuade them to re-open CoH, by creating a maintenance server or by selling it to somebody who will take it over.

To that end, if you write to them, write a letter praising them for this decision, and thanking them for having heard the voices of the community of the last game they had to make this hard choice over. Lament - politely - that CoH did not get this same fate, and suggest that you would gladly pay a subscription and/or buy things from the cash shop were it still open. Discuss how much money you've saved or spent elsewhere since the closure, and how you still would have preferred to spend it on CoH.

Be positive and nostalgic, and be polite. NCSoft has done something good here, something we asked them to do with our game. Do not be bitter; be hopeful or wistful.

Do ask them to consider making CoH available once more, but close once again thanking them for having made a better decision with GuildWars, and express a hope that this new alignment with regards to their products proves to be a fruitful one, as it is sure to pay dividends in customer loyalty.

yup.

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
Like Segev said. Stop thinking of this as some deliberate slight: it's not. Areananet nailed them in the contract and besides, this was after our protest, so if it had anything to do with us, it was along the lines of 'hmm, maybe Areananet has a point - could we avoid all this mess like this? Let's try it.' So send the letters, but send them nicely. 'That's the idea guys! Is it too late to go back and give CoH similar treatment? I know it's been gone a while now but I assure you, I and many others are still prepared to return and spend money there again.' Etc.

And good luck. I don't actually expect it too work, for reasons beyond their own willingness to cooperate. But who knows?

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
Guildwars 1 is supposed to be running now with just a "skeleton crew" and no further development instead of shutting down. Has anyone thought about contacting ncsoft? I'm wondering if it's as simple as flipping some switches to turn the servers back on and enabling city of heroes as a game in the ncsoft master account login. The game should still be in the same data center.  Perhaps it's time to mass mail ncsoft again?

I don't believe it is time to email them again, en masse or not.

I doubt they are in a very good mood right now. They got their @sses kicked by us, their stock has never really recovered [at least last I checked] and then this upstart studio has the sheer NERVE to hold their feet to the fire re GW1!!!

If we ever get CoX back from NCSoft, it will be five minutes before Phoenix Project goes live, as they finally realize "oh yeah, those people are really serious. Well, nothing to do but try to steal their thunder!" But even then, I doubt it; if we ever see CoX again it wont be from NCSoft.

I admit to a feeling of truly villainous enjoyment over their current predicament. Karma, NCSoft. Karma.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 04:46:17 AM by Illusionss »

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
I don't believe it is time to email them again, en masse or not.

I doubt they are in a very good mood right now. They got their @sses kicked by us, their stock has never really recovered [at least last I checked] and then this upstart studio has the sheer NERVE to hold their feet to the fire re GW1!!!

If we ever get CoX back from NCSoft, it will be five minutes before Phoenix Project goes live, as they finally realize "oh yeah, those people are really serious. Well, nothing to do but try to steal their thunder!" But even then, I doubt it; if we ever see CoX again it wont be from NCSoft.

I admit to a feeling of truly villainous enjoyment over their current predicament. Karma, NCSoft. Karma.

Pretty much how I feel..

Stratoburst

• Minion
(post deleted by author)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 09:47:36 PM by Stratoburst »

Seatiger

• Underling
As much as I love CoX and have played it since it debuted I don't feel that NCSoft is a good fit for the community anymore. They have proven to be stubborn and dismissive in the needs of our group with no real explanation for the shut down in the first place.  I think they may still be feeling the heat of the shutdown themselves and have chosen a more subtle shutdown for GW1 so they don't lose 50% of their value in the stock market again.  If they were to start up the servers once more I would only have half my heart in the game as I do not wish to experience the shut down process again.

I feel that only new blood and new leadership can renew my love and financial support for this project. I hope that NCSoft will let the game go to another company for a reasonable sale price so we can continue to enjoy our game.  I hope when we get the game back on it's feet again that Paragon Studios or at least its awesome crew will in some part be willing to lend its awesomeness to its new incarnation.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
As much as I love CoX and have played it since it debuted I don't feel that NCSoft is a good fit for the community anymore. They have proven to be stubborn and dismissive in the needs of our group with no real explanation for the shut down in the first place.  I think they may still be feeling the heat of the shutdown themselves and have chosen a more subtle shutdown for GW1 so they don't lose 50% of their value in the stock market again.  If they were to start up the servers once more I would only have half my heart in the game as I do not wish to experience the shut down process again.

I feel that only new blood and new leadership can renew my love and financial support for this project. I hope that NCSoft will let the game go to another company for a reasonable sale price so we can continue to enjoy our game.  I hope when we get the game back on it's feet again that Paragon Studios or at least its awesome crew will in some part be willing to lend its awesomeness to its new incarnation.

I agree with what you've written, @seatiger.  +1
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
There aren't enough active members left in the community to orchestrate a mass mailing, and there haven't been for months. The fight is never over, but that doesn't mean that we should act like we have an army when we've been reduced to a platoon. I do think individuals should still be writing letters (to wherever and whoever they feel like writing to), referring to themselves merely as fans of the game and not as part of a greater movement. There has been nothing wrong with this since the dawn of fandom. But as a community we should account for the few cards left in our deck, and strategize with a map of our real, actual obstacles. When we don't recognize our capabilities and reach, we become our foremost obstacle, and it will show. To anyone on the outside looking in, our rallying cries and calls to action will ring out as empty platitudes. A few despondent fans clinging to the bleachers long after the game is over. Not exactly an image fit for a motivational poster. 

The people lamenting that NCSoft wouldn't be the perfect fit for our game are absolutely correct. And NCSoft assured us that the feeling was mutual when they sunset the game and threw out the studio. Bear in mind that publishers don't always ditch their top talent along with whatever game they're sunsetting...especially when they fully own the studio. It was the ultimate "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" maneuver for NCSoft regarding Paragon Studios, an acknowledgement from NCSoft that they were neither interested (or even empathetic) in the studio's vision or its future.

Enter the long shots. Hail Mary, save us, Disney and Google. Maybe Microsoft is next. Maybe Yahoo!. In reason, not just principle, I'm fully behind any action that doesn't look like just another occupy movement. Not because I think it'll work, but because it makes us look enterprising. And when you've got just a handful of activists left in your cause, that's the best card that you can have up your sleeve. All it takes is a few talented people and maybe some well-oiled connections to try something new and bold. A game community that foregoes writhing around in its disorganized death throes in order to pen pitch packages is enterprising and dare I say, worth reporting on. If it keeps us in the press and in the backs of minds throughout the industry, it doesn't matter if we look crazy as long as we look enterprisingly crazy. And as others have pointed out time and time again, doing these things makes us visible not just to the recipients of the packages, but potentially to their associates, friends (and friends of friends) and other contacts as well--and that's the direction where I wonder if a diamond mine might be located.

As far as strategizing is concerned, Hail Mary isn't a way to conquer the battlefield, as much as just a way to keep our merry little platoon on the battlefield at all. Bear in mind that all of our pitch packages are going to companies for which a few million a year is effectively pocket change. We're practically asking for an act of charity.

Our most likely savior would have been a smaller publisher like Gamers First, any publisher that would see City of Heroes and its profit margin as a jackpot. A handful of smaller publishers might have even reached out to NCSoft. But if they didn't, there's a good reason why: NCSoft never reached out for bids. In business terms, their sudden shutdown and firing of the studio was the publisher saying, "We're not interested in selling." Regardless, I think we should send pitch packages to smaller studios. It could be a way to keep both their name and ours visible throughout the industry in a good way, for trying a good thing. It could also lead to more bids, if a competing rival studio sought to outdo the recipient of one of our pitch packages. But have no doubt about it, the whole thing would be another long shot. Any smaller studio that wanted to buddy up with us and save our game wouldn't have waited for our permission to do it.

Enter the community server. The last resort for many of us, but the first resort for, you know, the people who began their work in earnest sometime during sunset (and well before). If the intended end result of all of our shenannigans is just to have City of Heroes back, then this probably represents the ultimate shenannigan. This will never stop being controversial for some people, but I guarantee you that its controversy will at least diminish over time. The publisher will either sic its blood hounds or it won't. Either way, I suspect some of us will be playing City of Heroes in the years to come. If the sailing is smooth, then our new community server team will only have its own miniature civil wars to contend with over time.

I've used Earth and Beyond as an example before, because it might be the emulator with the least sordid history behind it. The game was sunset, and the emulator team got to work. They didn't do it because they hated EA. They did it because they loved E&B. They committed themselves to the future, not the past. The team has struggled through moments of in-fighting over the years, but the core team is still there and the same guy who founded the team is the guy who oversees it to this day (he's been leading his team longer than Matt Miller led Paragon Studios!). And although the game was wiped before going into "Live" status late last year, I often grinned to think that my beta characters in the E&B emu outlived the entire length of time the game was live under EA. I still grin to think that there are features and classes and zones added to the game that were only whispered about while the game was under EA, and some that weren't.

If emulated, City of Heroes will have a long struggle ahead of it, filled with gruesome programming hurdles, but the silver lining is that the game's life could be as long and as exciting as fans maintained passion for it. Gone would be the fanfare days when every new feature was commented on by the media; instead, City of Heroes would become like a good old used book, able to be picked up and read again and again, by anyone, forever.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:27:15 AM by Captain Electric »

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
There aren't enough active members left in the community to orchestrate a mass mailing, and there haven't been for months. The fight is never over, but that doesn't mean that we should act like we have an army when we've been reduced to a platoon. I do think individuals should still be writing letters (to wherever and whoever they feel like writing to), referring to themselves merely as fans of the game and not as part of a greater movement. There has been nothing wrong with this since the dawn of fandom. But as a community we should account for the few cards left in our deck, and strategize with a map of our real, actual obstacles. When we don't recognize our capabilities and reach, we become our foremost obstacle, and it will show. To anyone on the outside looking in, our rallying cries and calls to action will ring out as empty platitudes. A few despondent fans clinging to the bleachers long after the game is over. Not exactly an image fit for a motivational poster. 

The people lamenting that NCSoft wouldn't be the perfect fit for our game are absolutely correct. And NCSoft assured us that the feeling was mutual when they sunset the game and threw out the studio. Bear in mind that publishers don't always ditch their top talent along with whatever game they're sunsetting...especially when they fully own the studio. It was the ultimate "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" maneuver for NCSoft regarding Paragon Studios, an acknowledgement from NCSoft that they were neither interested (or even empathetic) in the studio's vision or its future.

Enter the long shots. Hail Mary, save us, Disney and Google. Maybe Microsoft is next. Maybe Yahoo!. In reason, not just principle, I'm fully behind any action that doesn't look like just another occupy movement. Not because I think it'll work, but because it makes us look enterprising. And when you've got just a handful of activists left in your cause, that's the best card that you can have up your sleeve. All it takes is a few talented people and maybe some well-oiled connections to try something new and bold. A game community that foregoes writhing around in its disorganized death throes in order to pen pitch packages is enterprising and dare I say, worth reporting on. If it keeps us in the press and in the backs of minds throughout the industry, it doesn't matter if we look crazy as long as we look enterprisingly crazy. And as others have pointed out time and time again, doing these things makes us visible not just to the recipients of the packages, but potentially to their associates, friends (and friends of friends) and other contacts as well--and that's the direction where I wonder if a diamond mine might be located.

As far as strategizing is concerned, Hail Mary isn't a way to conquer the battlefield, as much as just a way to keep our merry little platoon on the battlefield at all. Bear in mind that all of our pitch packages are going to companies for which a few million a year is effectively pocket change. We're practically asking for an act of charity.

Our most likely savior would have been a smaller publisher like Gamers First, any publisher that would see City of Heroes and its profit margin as a jackpot. A handful of smaller publishers might have even reached out to NCSoft. But if they didn't, there's a good reason why: NCSoft never reached out for bids. In business terms, their sudden shutdown and firing of the studio was the publisher saying, "We're not interested in selling." Regardless, I think we should send pitch packages to smaller studios. It could be a way to keep both their name and ours visible throughout the industry in a good way, for trying a good thing. It could also lead to more bids, if a competing rival studio sought to outdo the recipient of one of our pitch packages. But have no doubt about it, the whole thing would be another long shot. Any smaller studio that wanted to buddy up with us and save our game wouldn't have waited for our permission to do it.

Enter the community server. The last resort for many of us, but the first resort for, you know, the people who began their work in earnest sometime during sunset (and well before). If the intended end result of all of our shenannigans is just to have City of Heroes back, then this probably represents the ultimate shenannigan. This will never stop being controversial for some people, but I guarantee you that its controversy will at least diminish over time. The publisher will either sic its blood hounds or it won't. Either way, I suspect some of us will be playing City of Heroes in the years to come. If the sailing is smooth, then our new community server team will only have its own miniature civil wars to contend with over time.

I've used Earth and Beyond as an example before, because it might be the emulator with the least sordid history behind it. The game was sunset, and the emulator team got to work. They didn't do it because they hated EA. They did it because they loved E&B. They committed themselves to the future, not the past. The team has struggled through moments of in-fighting over the years, but the core team is still there and same guy who founded the team is the guy who oversees it to this day (he's been leading his team longer than Matt Miller led Paragon Studios!). And although the game was wiped before going into "Live" status late last year, I often grinned to think that my beta characters in the E&B emu outlived the entire length of time the game was live under EA. I still grin to think that there are features and classes and zones added to the game that where only whispered about while the game was under EA, and some that weren't.

If emulated, City of Heroes will have a long struggle ahead of it, filled with gruesome programming hurdles, but the silver lining is that the game's life could be as long and as exciting as fans maintained passion for it. Gone would be the fanfare days when every new feature was commented on by the media; instead, City of Heroes would become like a good old used book, able to be picked up and read again and again, by anyone, forever.

well said and I think something to take heed to.