Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7303821 times)

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #7300 on: July 23, 2014, 08:31:56 PM »
Well, One of my biggest Ideas for the game would have been, Cases/ (life's work) [Cant think of a good name for this] for heroes, and plots/ masterplan for villains. The plots and cases system would work kinda like the alignment system currently does where by defeating enemies your level you get either information on a crime about to go down  or on something that you could use. The Life's work/ Masterplan system is the big one, lets say as a hero you decide that you want to wipe out superdyne for example. Early on in your carrier you  will get the choice for what your final goal is for your character, gaining clues and special missions as you level starting by going after the skulls then the trolls and the family, ending with a  final fight where you can take down one of the biggest Superdyne factories. Or on the other side lets say your villain was eyeing up that nice little town over there, by spending time building up your power your villain could take over a small city and build a base of power. 

I'm sure that something like that will turn up in a comic book MMORPG one day ;)
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7301 on: July 23, 2014, 08:32:36 PM »
ive just returned after a long time away and I see things happeneing. can some one give an update to us folks so we dont go blind reading 300 pages? what is happening?

Talks of the game, talks of donuts, talks of speculation.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7302 on: July 23, 2014, 08:38:09 PM »
I found CO to be more..."Pay to have Fun". The game isn't fun for with just the lame freebie ATs...

Thats, kind of my thoughts.  I ended up downgrading to silver when they offered a freeform slot for half price.  Now I spend nothing on CO anymore.  I don't have to in order to enjoy the game anymore.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7303 on: July 23, 2014, 08:39:43 PM »
I agree with you, but I think you're talking about two separate issues, since the number of starting contacts and the variety of early-game experience is important, but that's a very small chunk of the journey to 50.

We had 2 distinct "paths" in the original game (Paragon City/Rogue Isles) and could do a chunk of the game starting in Praetoria, which might have eventually had a full 1-50 path.

There were many more people in one of those paths than the other two.  It was more difficult to find groups for CoV than CoH side, and I remember the Praet zones being kind of ghost-towns after the initial rush wore off.

That's what I'm concerned about.  There will be more popular "paths" for one reason or another, and people who wind up on the less popular paths will end up with poor impressions of the game.

Edited to add:  The rest of your quote - which I accidentally snipped - was spot-on.  There were a lot of ways to get from 1-50 in Paragon; with all the alts I leveled, I don't think I ever had the same experience twice.  I apologize for sounding like I didn't support that kind of diversity of options, since I definitely do.

People bring in more people. So, since teaming is attractive to many players people went where it was easier to team. CoV side wasn't nearly as popular after the 1st year but I really welcomed Going Rogue as it allowed me to get teams with my um "Rogues" which was the most common status of my Villains.

It might be possible to just have "open" side swapping so you can go where the teams are without the side swapping quests. Generally, I just leveled my Villains to 20 then go rogue, then do the patron arc at 40 then go full hero or stay rogue.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #7304 on: July 23, 2014, 08:40:52 PM »
Now I spend nothing on CO anymore.

Just like Cryptic :P
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7305 on: July 23, 2014, 08:41:20 PM »
I ended up with DCUO. Costumes and character creation is a lot nicer in CO, but I found the gameplay much more enjoyable in DCUO and managed to find acceptable enough costumes.

Definitely prefer how CO handles animal heads/skins, tho...the DCUO version is pretty weak. Tolerable, but weak.

Give EQ2 a try. My understanding is that a DCUO lifetime = an All Access lifetime, which gives you the full subbed perks in EQ and EQ2 as well. This may sound odd, but EQ2 has the flow that feels most like CoH of any game I've ever played...a bit of the bastard child of WoW and CoH to be sure, but nonetheless the closest.

I find that most costume pieces have to be unlocked.  Admittedly I do feel alot of costumes in DCUO cater to the "over bulked" category, unfortunately.  I should look at EQ2 then perhaps, sometime.  I do plan to spend more on DCUO sometime(still not as much as I would CoX), not while this deal is going on though.  I'm saving atm, if the deal succeeds i'll be spending alot on CoX when it's available, at least, i'm hoping I can.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #7306 on: July 23, 2014, 08:44:41 PM »
I hate to say it though, but CO's outline effect, even as someone who normally likes CO, the outlines reaallly detract from the game.  But playing DCUO I can tell you that its not to realistic looking, in fact it's very comic book like, but it's unreal engine 3 to.

Turn it off, then?

DocHornet

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7307 on: July 23, 2014, 08:48:38 PM »
But playing DCUO I can tell you that its not to realistic looking, in fact it's very comic book like, but it's unreal engine 3 to.

One of the things that I truly love about COH's graphic design is that it's (mostly) NEAL ADAMS "realistic" unrealism rather than TIM BURTON, BRUCE TIMM*, or ROB LIEFELD laws-of-anatomy-nuked-from-orbit unrealism. The Liefeld aesthetics started to creep in a bit with some of the later issue costume stuff.

*Which isn't to say I don't like BRUCE TIMM's style, just not in COH. (The others? Meh.)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7308 on: July 23, 2014, 08:49:03 PM »
Turn it off, then?

Thats what I do when I play CO silly.  I moved on to DCUO for other reasons besides just that :).

Darkwave

• Underling
« Reply #7309 on: July 23, 2014, 09:10:01 PM »
I think I'm the only one speculating about CoH2 not being in Paragon (but kudos to me for making you think it's a widespread phenomenon, I guess!). I proposed it as a way to avoid weird storyline issues that may come up between CoH and CoH2. The way I see it, there are two reasonable possibilities for a CoH2 that takes place in Paragon City: 1. It starts right after CoH ends, or 2. It takes place several years after the timeline of CoH.

There are some issues with option 1: The devs need to make sure that whatever storyline they go with fits in completely with CoH - that might might mean they go with the Battalion et al. storylines revealed in the AMAs, or they find another way to be internally consistent. Either way they will be somewhat limited in their story telling ability because it has to be tied in to CoH. This also means that existing NPC heroes will be exactly the same - not necessarily a bad thing, but maybe it'd be better for marketing and players experiencing variety if they had new people to focus on. Additionally, the problem of player characters arises. There will no doubt be some way to link a character in CoH to a character in CoH2, but I do not believe for an instant that we'll be allowed to get a max level character in CoH2 right off the bat. So that leads to an issue with suspension of disbelief: "My character was a top-level hero at the end of CoH's storyline, and now he / she has to start from 0, and no one remembers them, just a month later?" Maybe they can tie in a badge that changes dialog, but they still can't explain the loss of power very well, without forcing some sort of RP event on people, who might not want their top level character reduced to 0. Sure, you can hand wave it and just say it didn't happen, but that could be annoying. It's generally fine by me, but I imagine some RP players will not appreciate it.

With option 2, the issues are different. If there is a time jump, that means that something happened between CoH and CoH2. While this makes for a better way to explain differences in NPC and player characters from the 2 games, it also means that some people may be disappointed with whatever deus ex machina that's used to explain those changes. Additionally, there's not a lot of things, other than the Coming Storm, that could explain it, and some have said they want to experience that, not just be told "it happened off-screen before CoH2, you're dealing with the aftermath." The time jump does allow for a shake up of signature NPCs, and depending on how it's played, more freedom with storylines, but might turn people away if it doesn't fit the general "spirit" of CoH's story.

The third (and unreasonable) option for a CoH2 in Paragon City is to just make the exact same game, with the same storyline, missions, NPCs, everything - but in a new engine. This would be a bit of a disappointment to many, and would probably be a waste - why recreate when you can expand? Not to mention that some of the older missions are very linear, and presumably a new engine will allow for really cool gameplay and stories right off the bat.

The reason I'm suggesting a CoH2 set outside of Paragon City is that it would eliminate essentially any and all problems with storyline and with trying to make the game be as close to CoH as possible without redoing it. Setting CoH 2 in another city is one way to do this - it allows the new devs to create their own stories and locations within the CoH universe, and gives us a taste of life outside Paragon, while giving us a very similar feel to CoH. Plus, I'm curious about other cities in the CoH world - we always hear about them, or about organizations that are national or global in scope, but we only see a very small glimpse of them in the Paragon / Isles area. This is why I also think it would be cool to give CoH2 a more world-wide scope - let us see everything that happened while were in Paragon!

Not only does this allow for player characters not being present to be explained, it also allows a game taking place at the same time as CoH to happen. You could have a CoH2 take place in Chicago - all of its inhabitants were swallowed by Mot, and it might be fun to play a hero fighting against Mot, just trying to hold your own, even as the heroes in Paragon resolve the issue. That's maybe not the best example, but being able to take part in the storylines we used to play in Paragon from another perspective would be quite fun. There's any number of things that happened during CoH that had national or international impact, and exploring them from outside Paragon would be a great way to experience them. Plus, you could have cameos from CoH signature heroes once in a while, even if the new game has its own set of heroes. We only ever learned about 2 members of the Dawn Patrol - let's go to London and meet more! Or be assigned by the FBSA to take care of an issue in Albuquerque, where a genius chemistry teacher has developed a new super drug to rival superadine! The best part about this is that even if we take part in CoH's global stories from another perspective, there's TONS of new material that could be written, that wouldn't conflict with any of CoH's storylines. It also allows the game to have any sort of environment the devs want - Croatoa was added to avoid the monotony of "city city city" and a world-wide game would avoid necessities like that (not that that was a bad necessity, it's just that there will be more freedom of environments than in a city).

A hahahahaha!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I do like the idea of having the next game in whatever incarnation it may take it another city, I wonder if we could have something equivalent to the Rogue Isles too. I always enjoyed having the separate setting for the Villains - always made entering a PvP zone more of an event in my opinion.

Another idea if they wanted it set in Paragon, and similar to your idea of a time skip - how about setting something in the 70s or 80s - maybe even go back to the 'golden age' of the 30s or 40s.  Regardless of how much of a brave design decision that would be I'd love some of the concepts people could come up with. Best part is you could keep alot of the lore going too, (granted it would be a nightmare!)

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7310 on: July 23, 2014, 09:12:39 PM »
I would play CoX in an old engine or a new.
I would play CoX with old account information or none.
I would play CoX with a subscription or a store.
I do so like City of Heroes, TonyV, Codewalker, Ironwolf, and all others pulling for its future!

But...but...it doesn't rhyme!

And there's no mention of a fox or a box!

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7311 on: July 23, 2014, 09:13:33 PM »

This is what I imagine it's going to be like when the new dev team finally get their hands on the code.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

Nice. Needed a facepalm or two, though.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7312 on: July 23, 2014, 09:14:48 PM »
Well, Titan City is sort of NYC crossed with paragon :P

I would love to see Rucker Park with a pickup game of hoops between Trolls and some low-level Scrappers. No hospital, no foul.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7313 on: July 23, 2014, 09:15:16 PM »
I do like the idea of having the next game in whatever incarnation it may take it another city, I wonder if we could have something equivalent to the Rogue Isles too. I always enjoyed having the separate setting for the Villains - always made entering a PvP zone more of an event in my opinion.

Another idea if they wanted it set in Paragon, and similar to your idea of a time skip - how about setting something in the 70s or 80s - maybe even go back to the 'golden age' of the 30s or 40s.  Regardless of how much of a brave design decision that would be I'd love some of the concepts people could come up with. Best part is you could keep alot of the lore going too, (granted it would be a nightmare!)

I would prefer a "reboot" of Paragon City.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7314 on: July 23, 2014, 09:17:42 PM »
I think I'm the only one speculating about CoH2 not being in Paragon (but kudos to me for making you think it's a widespread phenomenon, I guess!). I proposed it as a way to avoid weird storyline issues that may come up between CoH and CoH2. The way I see it, there are two reasonable possibilities for a CoH2 that takes place in Paragon City: 1. It starts right after CoH ends, or 2. It takes place several years after the timeline of CoH.

There are some issues with option 1: The devs need to make sure that whatever storyline they go with fits in completely with CoH - that might might mean they go with the Battalion et al. storylines revealed in the AMAs, or they find another way to be internally consistent. Either way they will be somewhat limited in their story telling ability because it has to be tied in to CoH. This also means that existing NPC heroes will be exactly the same - not necessarily a bad thing, but maybe it'd be better for marketing and players experiencing variety if they had new people to focus on. Additionally, the problem of player characters arises. There will no doubt be some way to link a character in CoH to a character in CoH2, but I do not believe for an instant that we'll be allowed to get a max level character in CoH2 right off the bat. So that leads to an issue with suspension of disbelief: "My character was a top-level hero at the end of CoH's storyline, and now he / she has to start from 0, and no one remembers them, just a month later?" Maybe they can tie in a badge that changes dialog, but they still can't explain the loss of power very well, without forcing some sort of RP event on people, who might not want their top level character reduced to 0. Sure, you can hand wave it and just say it didn't happen, but that could be annoying. It's generally fine by me, but I imagine some RP players will not appreciate it.

With option 2, the issues are different. If there is a time jump, that means that something happened between CoH and CoH2. While this makes for a better way to explain differences in NPC and player characters from the 2 games, it also means that some people may be disappointed with whatever deus ex machina that's used to explain those changes. Additionally, there's not a lot of things, other than the Coming Storm, that could explain it, and some have said they want to experience that, not just be told "it happened off-screen before CoH2, you're dealing with the aftermath." The time jump does allow for a shake up of signature NPCs, and depending on how it's played, more freedom with storylines, but might turn people away if it doesn't fit the general "spirit" of CoH's story.

The third (and unreasonable) option for a CoH2 in Paragon City is to just make the exact same game, with the same storyline, missions, NPCs, everything - but in a new engine. This would be a bit of a disappointment to many, and would probably be a waste - why recreate when you can expand? Not to mention that some of the older missions are very linear, and presumably a new engine will allow for really cool gameplay and stories right off the bat.

The reason I'm suggesting a CoH2 set outside of Paragon City is that it would eliminate essentially any and all problems with storyline and with trying to make the game be as close to CoH as possible without redoing it. Setting CoH 2 in another city is one way to do this - it allows the new devs to create their own stories and locations within the CoH universe, and gives us a taste of life outside Paragon, while giving us a very similar feel to CoH. Plus, I'm curious about other cities in the CoH world - we always hear about them, or about organizations that are national or global in scope, but we only see a very small glimpse of them in the Paragon / Isles area. This is why I also think it would be cool to give CoH2 a more world-wide scope - let us see everything that happened while were in Paragon!

Not only does this allow for player characters not being present to be explained, it also allows a game taking place at the same time as CoH to happen. You could have a CoH2 take place in Chicago - all of its inhabitants were swallowed by Mot, and it might be fun to play a hero fighting against Mot, just trying to hold your own, even as the heroes in Paragon resolve the issue. That's maybe not the best example, but being able to take part in the storylines we used to play in Paragon from another perspective would be quite fun. There's any number of things that happened during CoH that had national or international impact, and exploring them from outside Paragon would be a great way to experience them. Plus, you could have cameos from CoH signature heroes once in a while, even if the new game has its own set of heroes. We only ever learned about 2 members of the Dawn Patrol - let's go to London and meet more! Or be assigned by the FBSA to take care of an issue in Albuquerque, where a genius chemistry teacher has developed a new super drug to rival superadine! The best part about this is that even if we take part in CoH's global stories from another perspective, there's TONS of new material that could be written, that wouldn't conflict with any of CoH's storylines. It also allows the game to have any sort of environment the devs want - Croatoa was added to avoid the monotony of "city city city" and a world-wide game would avoid necessities like that (not that that was a bad necessity, it's just that there will be more freedom of environments than in a city).

A hahahahaha!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I wouldn't make anything based on breaking bad :).  If something was to take place in Albuquerque, make it an original plot.  Honestly, I'd rather more than one city for a game to take place in.  Paragon city got old after a while sometimes.  On the other hand, I hate it when I have no water in an environment, to.  I kind of do, it gets old.  I actually live in Albuquerque so if anything, please at least also include the Rio Grande if you do have Albuquerque as a game setting.  It's a beautiful river and there is a lot of life around it here.  I actually live close enough and I can tell you it's like a small oasis/jungle here.  Surrounded by desert, yes, but there is more to deserts than just rock, sand and sagebrush.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7315 on: July 23, 2014, 09:27:11 PM »

This is what I imagine it's going to be like when the new dev team finally get their hands on the code.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

That is a good one.  I think a plate of spaghetti is in order.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #7316 on: July 23, 2014, 09:38:43 PM »

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
anybody else find this captivating? :D
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
  • Telegram force and ready
« Reply #7317 on: July 23, 2014, 09:38:54 PM »
Another idea if they wanted it set in Paragon, and similar to your idea of a time skip - how about setting something in the 70s or 80s - maybe even go back to the 'golden age' of the 30s or 40s.
In tabletop rpgs I've rarely found prequels set in recent or well-established time periods to be as fun, and honestly I'm not to fond of it in movies either. There is to strong a sense that the events are irrelevant in the marching scheme of history unless you are talking about a separate timeline. Wars will go the same way, the same organizations will rise and fall, no npc established as in the future can be harmed (at least not long term, or outside the wounds they have in the future), and even if you save the world a dozen times nobody will remember your name.
Guns don't kill people, meerkats do.

Darkwave

• Underling
« Reply #7318 on: July 23, 2014, 09:45:34 PM »
In tabletop rpgs I've rarely found prequels set in recent or well-established time periods to be as fun, and honestly I'm not to fond of it in movies either. There is to strong a sense that the events are irrelevant in the marching scheme of history unless you are talking about a separate timeline. Wars will go the same way, the same organizations will rise and fall, and even if you save the world a dozen times nobody will remember your name.

Good point, I do think it does open up quite a few interesting avenues for the devs go down. I guess I was just enthralled with what they did for XMen with days of future past.  ;D

The alternate timeline option is interesting that's for sure.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #7319 on: July 23, 2014, 09:59:56 PM »
I kind of agree with this, I would like to see just a port over to UnReal4 and maybe some new stuff tacked on. I really have no idea what they have in mind with CoH2, but that's what I would like!

I agree completely, but if they added this level of character creator capability, I would find a way to live with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TP4L1vHfpk
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"