Author Topic: The worst thing  (Read 7549 times)

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
The worst thing
« on: January 01, 2013, 08:00:29 PM »
Having been run out of Eden by an angel with a flaming sword, along with all of the rest of you, this is the thing that bothers me the most about attempting to pass the time in another game: lack of travel powers.

The game I am in now, I will not mention by name. But it is shank's mare EVERYWHERE, there and in every other game I have tried with the exception of Champions. (I cannot play Champions because I am evidently too stupid to master their blocking mechanic. And I just dont like the game, but that's a different subject.)

Invisible boundaries are everywhere, perhaps even on hills 4 feet high. I'm continually forced to try and find another way.... due to an invisible barrier. This might necessitate a quarter-mile detour. It kind of makes me miss the war walls.... at least you know for sure where you could not go. And the jumping! You dont jump any higher than you could if you went outside and tried to jump a real world barrier. Maybe two feet.

I say unto you: UGH!!!

I miss flying around more than any other thing. Hell, I miss Superjump at this rate. SJ used to give me motion-sickness, but at least I could GET THERE, wherever I was going. Get there without it taking a half hour.

I want to fly again.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
Re: The worst thing
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 08:05:09 PM »
I want to fly again too. Hover, most. And cross arms when hovering. And laughing maniacally. While dozens of Cimerorian try to hit me but can't.

*sigh*
Yeeessss....

Samuel Tow

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 01:30:26 AM »
Apparently, lack of travel powers isn't just developers not being smart enough to think of it. People actually believe that having travel powers is bad for a game, because... Well, if you can travel quickly, then you might have too much fun and leave. You won't get to see the endless copy-pasted moors devoid of anything interesting to do and you won't constantly run into other people slowly plodding to places they'd rather be and won't, thus, forge friendships born of limitation and frustration.

I dream of the day when another game will realise just how much more personal the world becomes when it stops being an obstacle and actually opens up to be explored. I dream of the day when another game allows me to fly perpetually and fight while doing it.
Of all the things I've lost,
I think I miss my mind the most.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 01:51:16 AM »
Yet another reason why other games are vast disappointment.

I want to fly again.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

voodoogirl

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 01:54:01 AM »

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 02:23:25 AM »
Soon(TM)

Not to be snarky, but I do not think this word means the same to you as it does to me.  Realistically speaking, you guys are at minimum 3 years from a playable game.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 02:35:54 AM »
Not to be snarky, but I do not think this word means the same to you as it does to me.  Realistically speaking, you guys are at minimum 3 years from a playable game.
There's a difference between "soon" (actually soon) and "soon(TM)" ('when it's done') - soon(TM) does not have an actual timeframe. VDG used the (TM) version.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 05:06:15 AM »
I, for one, hope that they're speaking very unrealistic then... :)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 05:08:33 AM »
Having been run out of Eden by an angel with a flaming sword...

*cue sound of car brakes squealing*

Alright, hold on just one minute. Make no mistake about it. That was NO angel.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 05:13:53 AM »
Soon(TM)

I just want to play City of Heroes.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 05:46:45 AM »

1000x this!
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 09:03:07 AM »

This.

CO is a poor substitute at best, but it's the only substitute. I doubt Phoenix will even run on my old machine, when you get it running at all.

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 02:22:26 AM »
Oh yeah - This.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 02:49:29 AM »

Yeah, I gotta go with this too.  I'm intrigued by HaV and Phoenix, but... CoH is my darlin' lil' world, and I miss it and Pinnbadges.  Forums are nice, IRC is ok, but Chat is where it's At. :)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 05:10:45 AM »

Ditto, though I want to play a version with most of the annoyances modded away.  Offline, of course, so that my lack of annoyance annoys fewer people.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 05:14:55 PM »
*cue sound of car brakes squealing*

Alright, hold on just one minute. Make no mistake about it. That was NO angel.

It was an evil angel  8)

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 05:19:42 PM »
Ditto, though I want to play a version with most of the annoyances modded away.  Offline, of course, so that my lack of annoyance annoys fewer people.

Try playing something else: every time I try it, I meet 100x the annoyances I met in CoX.

The saying is true. You really DONT know what you have, till its gone. Not that I didnt appreciate the game while we had it, I just never realized quite how good it really was, and how much QoL stuff got worked in.

Eden. Will we ever be there again.  :(

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 05:08:39 AM »
Try playing something else: every time I try it, I meet 100x the annoyances I met in CoX.

The saying is true. You really DONT know what you have, till its gone. Not that I didnt appreciate the game while we had it, I just never realized quite how good it really was, and how much QoL stuff got worked in.

Many of the annoyances are as bad or worse in other MMOs.  Some of the things that annoy me are enjoyed by others.

I really like to build characters, and CoH is still the best I've come across for that.  The first thing I'd like to do is unlock every single costume piece for all characters.  My urge to build isn't merely aesthetic, either, but the crazy ideas I get tend to die long before fruition due to the tedious grind and an inability to easily acquire the necessary Enhancements - greatly speeding up levelling or a way to instantly grant XP, as well as a way to easily accrue the enhancements I want are things I'd be interested in.  And of course, if I could give the occasional character some or all of the buffs in that one intro-to-Incarnates mission at all times, that would amuse me as well.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Sailboat

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 08:13:48 PM »

The last group event my main supergroup held on Sunset Day, we decided to do an Eden Trial for our Last Hurrah.  Because it's the most breathtaking of them all.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 02:23:08 AM »
I want to fly again, and super jump again, and, heck, I'd even put up with being Recall Friended again.

And speaking of the last thing folks did. . . for me, it was an 8 p.m. publication of the long overdue PENGUIN Part 4: Waddle On (arc 554993, likely the final arc published in the AE system), getting six ratings on it, and then hanging in Atlas Park on Justice 'til close.