Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7326607 times)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #27060 on: March 26, 2017, 09:01:42 PM »
How hard would it be to make CoH a solo experience since it doesn't look like they are going to sell?  Have it play one your computer with no server.

Somewhere between 95% and 105% as difficult as making a full server, depending on the method of implementation.

It's designed as a multiplayer game; there's very little you can do to make it less complex if there's only one player.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27061 on: March 26, 2017, 10:18:52 PM »
If their attempt was to use Statesman to bring us to this game, I think it will backfire very hard.  At this point, a spiritual successor is what we have as our only hope.  We now have a race to see who will bring their successor to market.

Let's hope we have a successor soon.
No Surrender!

Beyorn

• Underling
« Reply #27062 on: March 26, 2017, 11:36:15 PM »
Somewhere between 95% and 105% as difficult as making a full server, depending on the method of implementation.

It's designed as a multiplayer game; there's very little you can do to make it less complex if there's only one player.

It shows how much I know about such things ;D.  I would do about anything to play it again ;(.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27063 on: March 26, 2017, 11:55:37 PM »
If it weren't really hard, it would be done by now.  I believe some very talented people have been working on that as well as reverse engineering private servers since before the shut-down.
I thought they had given up?

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #27064 on: March 27, 2017, 12:09:12 AM »
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27065 on: March 27, 2017, 12:16:31 AM »

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #27066 on: March 27, 2017, 12:19:25 AM »
If their attempt was to use Statesman to bring us to this game, I think it will backfire very hard.  At this point, a spiritual successor is what we have as our only hope.  We now have a race to see who will bring their successor to market.

Let's hope we have a successor soon.

On one hand, it is really insulting and I don't want to ever give NCsoft money ever again.

However on the other hand..imagine the board meeting if in the first day States is released..everyone who wants COH to return buys States, his skins and all that..then uninstalls the game and never touches it.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27067 on: March 27, 2017, 12:26:27 AM »
On one hand, it is really insulting and I don't want to ever give NCsoft money ever again.

However on the other hand..imagine the board meeting if in the first day States is released..everyone who wants COH to return buys States, his skins and all that..then uninstalls the game and never touches it.
I doubt people will do that

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27069 on: March 27, 2017, 01:03:32 AM »
http://www.kiasa.org/2009/09/26/its-spelt-eon-ncsoft/
I played that game about 1-2 years before CoH shutdown. It wasn't bad but had some issues.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27070 on: March 27, 2017, 01:42:03 AM »

It will make it to 0 degrees Kelvin in hell before I'd do that.  If NCSoft wants to leverage Statesman to improve their bottom line, they can put CoX back online.  I believe their latest financial reports showed GW2 was slipping and 3rd quarter 2016 looked bad across the board.
No Surrender!

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #27071 on: March 27, 2017, 02:19:38 AM »

Well, considering there was very little that couldn't be done solo in the game...

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27072 on: March 27, 2017, 02:47:42 AM »
Well, considering there was very little that couldn't be done solo in the game...
I have said it before. Id love to just be able to street sweep even

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #27073 on: March 27, 2017, 03:18:23 AM »

Which just shows how little you understand about CoH.  Although the maps and unchangeable data resided on your computer, everything that made the game work, that is, the re-enterable game code, (which controlled everything from the NPCs to where you were on any given map and allowed you to interact with the environment, spawned NPCs and other players), resided on the server.  This is the "server code," which is the Holy Grail.  And although we refer to it as the "server code" as if every game server was, in fact, a single piece of hardware, it is quite likely at each of the titular "servers" (Virtue, Freedom, Protector, etc) was, in actuality, 10 physical servers working together.  So just for starters....can you afford that much hardware?
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27074 on: March 27, 2017, 04:01:16 AM »

I'm sure they would go yay, free money $$$

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27075 on: March 27, 2017, 04:18:05 AM »
Which just shows how little you understand about CoH.  Although the maps and unchangeable data resided on your computer, everything that made the game work, that is, the re-enterable game code, (which controlled everything from the NPCs to where you were on any given map and allowed you to interact with the environment, spawned NPCs and other players), resided on the server.  This is the "server code," which is the Holy Grail.  And although we refer to it as the "server code" as if every game server was, in fact, a single piece of hardware, it is quite likely at each of the titular "servers" (Virtue, Freedom, Protector, etc) was, in actuality, 10 physical servers working together.  So just for starters....can you afford that much hardware?

Pretty sure Tyger42 meant solo as opposed to on a team, not solo as in on client-side computer.

h2o2Cognac

• Underling
« Reply #27076 on: March 27, 2017, 04:19:06 AM »
A free trick to sign into coh, you just need to visit a trailing dimension when the game was still playable. I did it before but it takes good stamina. . .

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27077 on: March 27, 2017, 06:11:58 AM »
A free trick to sign into coh, you just need to visit a trailing dimension when the game was still playable. I did it before but it takes good stamina. . .

Joshex?  Have you returned?!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27079 on: March 27, 2017, 07:33:26 AM »
I don't actually know if this is him, but:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/121710536/a-new-mathematical-system/description

Lulz. Somehow that got 230 bucks. If it weren't for all the grammar and spelling errors it might've broken 250. Then again google's currency converter is based on math 1.0, so the kickstarter might've been a success several times over. And yeah, that does sound like Joshex, though I would at least give him credit for being able to spell 'assumption', or at least for being able to recognize a squiggly red underline.