Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7349224 times)

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #27040 on: March 24, 2017, 07:22:16 PM »
Interesting read, that article.

Nice to see the developer's ideas about it.  Maybe that can help cool some of the flames.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27041 on: March 24, 2017, 08:11:29 PM »

Nice to see the developer's ideas about it.  Maybe that can help cool some of the flames.

Probably not, but I've always said it is not proper to treat companies like individuals.  Companies of composed of lots of different people, each with their own ideas, personalities, priorities, and objectives.  Many people only see "NCSoft" doing something with Statesman (or Emperor Cole), and assigning ill intent to the non-existent corporate hive mind.  But I don't fault a fan of the game who works on MxM trying to get the property represented in that project.  I probably would have tried to do the same thing.  Almost certainly, in fact.  And that's *knowing* the reception it would likely get from at least some of the CoH community.

Companies don't do things.  People do.  I try very hard not to express hatred or disgust for a corporate action I wouldn't express those same feelings to the single person at that company who effected that action.  In this case, I can't.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27042 on: March 24, 2017, 10:32:28 PM »

It honestly makes it worse. The only thing they can ever do to knock down the flames is sell the game... they must realize that.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27043 on: March 24, 2017, 10:43:32 PM »
It honestly makes it worse. The only thing they can ever do to knock down the flames is sell the game... they must realize that.

Did you see in the comments how much NC reportedly wanted?

$80 Million...

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27044 on: March 24, 2017, 11:02:15 PM »

$80 Million...

I saw that, quite the number.  Although I feel like I have heard before it was something absurd like that.  If NCsoft is cool with a 1...maybe 2 thousand year payment plan I'll pay that much.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27045 on: March 24, 2017, 11:24:02 PM »

$80 Million...
I don't buy it... no pun intended. How much did they buy it from cryptic for?

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27046 on: March 25, 2017, 12:30:01 AM »

$80 Million...

That number was rumored and "reported" going back to practically before the shutdown date, and in several different contexts.  As far as I know, it is a made-up number.

I would personally take any number outside the range of $10 million - $40 million skeptically.  Those represent the minimum and maximum valuations I would give the property prior to shutdown.  It would be worth substantially less two seconds after shutdown.

$80 million is what you tell someone when you do not want to tell them "go climb a tree."

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27047 on: March 25, 2017, 03:02:54 AM »
Nothing.  I don't even believe that they know the playerbase is upset or would care if they did.

NCSoft does not care.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Daemien

• Underling
« Reply #27048 on: March 25, 2017, 04:42:26 AM »
Companies don't do things.  People do. 

True. However, I doubt that any one person or even an entire team could pull this off on their own, if negotiations were actively ongoing about said property.
... or there is a serious gap in communication between departments.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27049 on: March 25, 2017, 04:59:44 AM »
So I guess nobody noticed the MxM guy saying he can't personally give the game back. I was expecting wild speculation.

skoogmik

• Minion
« Reply #27050 on: March 25, 2017, 05:10:59 AM »
This comment about COH selling being 80 million dollars is withdrawn, due to Codewalker's post at Reply #27053.  He is closer the to the real sources that I am and I was probably just spreading rumors.

In spite of all of this, I still must thank Ironwolf, Nate and all the others who heroically attempted to bring COH back to us.  All of them deserve praise for the work they freely did on our behalf. Thank You.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 07:53:54 PM by skoogmik »

Surelle

« Reply #27051 on: March 25, 2017, 02:49:10 PM »
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:35:15 PM by Surelle »

skoogmik

• Minion
« Reply #27052 on: March 25, 2017, 04:30:49 PM »
Due to Codewalker's post Reply #27053, I've withdrawn this post.

Also I wish to add to my above praise list: Codewalker.  Thank you very much for ICON and Paragon Chat.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 07:55:06 PM by skoogmik »

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27053 on: March 25, 2017, 07:27:45 PM »
This...........is just......heartbreaking...  :gonk:

MMOBomb posted a video yesterday talking about the same thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTQwBLAHvNA

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #27054 on: March 26, 2017, 03:43:46 AM »
Well, hell. If they're not going to play ball, I say it's time for some people willing to take the legal risk to start working on server emulation. >.>

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #27055 on: March 26, 2017, 03:54:53 AM »
Due to Codewalker's post Reply #27053, I've withdrawn this post.

I just deleted my original reply on the subject. Feel free to read into that what you will.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 04:07:24 AM by Codewalker »

kaaduu1280

• Minion
« Reply #27056 on: March 26, 2017, 10:14:23 AM »
The thing that also bothers me here is that he claims he began getting Statesman/Tyrant into MxM in 2014.  That's when talks started for the leasing of the CoX IP.  So it seems pretty obvious NCSoft wasn't taking those talks too seriously, as they ok'd the Statesman MxM thing instead.  That could certainly have muddied the legalities of the talks...unless there was no real hope for those to begin with, is my impression, sorry.

*sigh* So it seems like it was hopeless right from the start, huh? Just a way to amuse themselves with futile efforts from us while throwing acid in our collective faces.
"Do not attribute to Malice what can instead be attributed to Stupidity." -NakaTeleeli

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27057 on: March 26, 2017, 07:08:07 PM »
*sigh* So it seems like it was hopeless right from the start, huh? Just a way to amuse themselves with futile efforts from us while throwing acid in our collective faces.

All the more reason for Ship of Heroes or one of the other successors to get up and running and for perhaps one day for Paragon Chat to become a solo CoH Emulator if nothing else.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Beyorn

• Underling
« Reply #27058 on: March 26, 2017, 07:26:22 PM »
How hard would it be to make CoH a solo experience since it doesn't look like they are going to sell?  Have it play one your computer with no server.  If that makes sense.  I would rather have an mmo but if it means never playing it again I would go for solo in a heart beat.

If this is a silly question for computer and server peeps I'm sorry.  I'm not a computer guy ;).

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #27059 on: March 26, 2017, 07:54:19 PM »
How hard would it be to make CoH a solo experience since it doesn't look like they are going to sell?  Have it play one your computer with no server.  If that makes sense.  I would rather have an mmo but if it means never playing it again I would go for solo in a heart beat.

If this is a silly question for computer and server peeps I'm sorry.  I'm not a computer guy ;).

If it weren't really hard, it would be done by now.  I believe some very talented people have been working on that as well as reverse engineering private servers since before the shut-down.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"