Author Topic: The Big Giant Icon Thread  (Read 204190 times)

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
Re: The Big Giant Icon Thread
« Reply #1500 on: August 17, 2013, 02:01:22 AM »
It really should be stickied to the front of the thread that all Icon will ever be is a costume and NPC toy. there won't ever be combat, there won't ever be bases, never spawns or interaction or events. I THINK the existing NPCs like Twinshot and Liberty might be able to be made to talk since some of their dialogue is stored in the client, but even that would be a stretch.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Flow-Vector

• Minion
« Reply #1501 on: August 17, 2013, 07:41:49 AM »
It really should be stickied to the front of the thread that all Icon will ever be is a costume and NPC toy. there won't ever be combat, there won't ever be bases, never spawns or interaction or events. I THINK the existing NPCs like Twinshot and Liberty might be able to be made to talk since some of their dialogue is stored in the client, but even that would be a stretch.

Glad you said it,

I'm gonna leave that comma there. I wanted to say more but there is nothing else really to say lol. Icon is not a rebuild of CoH, it's a reverse engineered gift to the community (or at least that is my interpretation of it).
"It is said that irony is the true guiding hand of fate, and what we call destiny is the cruel humor playing out its joke on the world."

I just love this quote from Sirocco.

Profile picture is Flow- my Kin/Regen scrapper from freedom and beta

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #1502 on: August 17, 2013, 04:31:39 PM »
I can't edit the OP, however I added a notice to the Icon wiki page.

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Titan_Icon#Overview

:D
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #1503 on: August 19, 2013, 05:09:46 AM »
I think it's worth noting that when this thread got split from the Icon release thread, the board's notifications did not follow it. I had to renotify for this thread, while the original notification was tied to the thread: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7288.0.html
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1504 on: August 19, 2013, 01:43:46 PM »
I like how there have been 1500 replies to this thread but only 700 views. It makes me giggle ;D

RockLeeXIII

• Minion
« Reply #1505 on: August 21, 2013, 02:53:53 PM »

I think you wrong Eoraptor ! i'm sure that eventually Icon will have a combat system added ,
get our bases and even have pop a menu and spawn monsters that wants to pick a fight with
you ...

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #1506 on: August 21, 2013, 03:03:08 PM »
I think you wrong Eoraptor ! i'm sure that eventually Icon will have a combat system added ,
get our bases and even have pop a menu and spawn monsters that wants to pick a fight with
you ...
No, Eoraptor is right. Icon is just a temporary client hack. The functionality you're talking about requires a server - and that's something already under development. Icon came to exist primarily as a side result of that project.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #1507 on: August 21, 2013, 03:05:38 PM »
I've explicitly said multiple times that Icon will never have a combat system. It would take more effort to make that happen than to implement a server-based combat system inside one of the various server projects (of which Icon is not one of; it's meant to be standalone).

LOADING bases should happen at some point; I'm hoping 1.8 but no promises. As much as I'd like to do editing, it probably has too many dependencies on server-side operations to be feasible. But if you can load bases, then editing the base map outside the game becomes possible.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #1508 on: August 21, 2013, 03:12:15 PM »
LOADING bases should happen at some point; I'm hoping 1.8 but no promises. As much as I'd like to do editing, it probably has too many dependencies on server-side operations to be feasible. But if you can load bases, then editing the base map outside the game becomes possible.
I'm intrigued.  Editing base maps outside the game itself might allow for options that would've never been available in legitimate CoH, too.  Much like Icon allows access to NPC costume parts that would never have been accessible the actual CoH costume creator.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #1509 on: August 21, 2013, 06:07:05 PM »

Would that mean editing using an in game interface, or editing the demo files they come from?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #1510 on: August 21, 2013, 06:14:23 PM »
Editing a text file representation of the base. You can't easily edit them in demo files because they're compressed and encoded there, but the schema is in memory so it's doable to write them to a text file much like .costume and .storyarc files.

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #1511 on: August 21, 2013, 09:57:09 PM »
LOADING bases should happen at some point

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? When are we going to get there?  Phaetan's making faces at me, make him stop! Can we stop for ice cream? Are we there yet?

(Thank you for your continued hard work :))
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1512 on: August 21, 2013, 10:04:21 PM »
Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? When are we going to get there?  Phaetan's making faces at me, make him stop! Can we stop for ice cream? Are we there yet?

(Thank you for your continued hard work :))
Don't make me turn this thread around!

but yes, I too extend hearty thanks for all the hard work on making what works works
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1513 on: August 22, 2013, 12:23:36 AM »
Hell loading bases and editing from outside the game will prolly make it so much easier to base build! O_o

Imagine all that freakish stacking we had to do one object a time? Now picture being able to cut a paste 20 things in one click via text!

If any of those "super secret bringing back coh emulators" people are working on are watching... they should totally find a way to decouple the object inventories from the base map file so they can allow us to keep editing base maps outside the game. Then they can let us save and load maps!

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1514 on: August 27, 2013, 02:07:49 AM »
Finally loaded this up and it works.   I'm still running v23 I guess.   Found some answers to some questions by browsing this topic, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you can retrieve costumes from those files we saved before the game shut down and convert them to saved costumes in Icon.    True?

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1515 on: August 27, 2013, 02:20:49 AM »
There's a (labor-intensive) way to manually recreate your costume files from the Sentinel files.   The instructions are a ways back in this thread.
There were also hints that Guy Perfect might make something to automate the process, but nothing more has been heard about that idea, I'm afraid.

Also, I would strongly recommend grabbing I24 so that you can access the extra costume pieces.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1516 on: August 27, 2013, 02:42:17 AM »
I regret now now going to the tailor and saving off all my costumes.  I remember starting to do it and then stopped almost immediately when I found out that I had costumes that were not "editable".

Xenos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1517 on: August 27, 2013, 06:02:18 PM »
Finally loaded this up and it works.   I'm still running v23 I guess.   Found some answers to some questions by browsing this topic, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you can retrieve costumes from those files we saved before the game shut down and convert them to saved costumes in Icon.    True?

The process that Phaetan is referring to is actually in a separate thread (might be nice if an administrator could move it to the Icon sub-forum): http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,8600.msg122205.html#msg122205

And yes, it's labor-intensive.

I stopped trying to refine it when we heard that Guy Perfect might be able to create a simple utility, which would of course be much preferable...

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #1518 on: August 27, 2013, 09:15:13 PM »
Perhaps creating such a tool, Xenos, turned out to be more work than Guy/Tony thought initially.

Keep hope always, though.

8)
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1519 on: August 28, 2013, 03:07:26 AM »
Thanks so much guys.

I mostly just want one costume that I was fond of atm so maybe the labor won't be too bad.

Echo this from saipaman:

I regret now now going to the tailor and saving off all my costumes.  I remember starting to do it and then stopped almost immediately when I found out that I had costumes that were not "editable".

I was afraid to step inside Icon after hearing some people tell me they lost costumes they were fond of.