Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7319184 times)

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #3820 on: July 08, 2014, 07:16:10 PM »
I even want all the AE missions and arcs to be reinstated. I want to go back and play all those Wonka missions. He was the villain in several of them!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3821 on: July 08, 2014, 07:16:29 PM »
I cannot understand why some people are getting upset if we are unable to have our characters back or all the rewards/purchases we accumulated.

You don't have them now, nobody ever promised that you will have them back, ever, so why are you being negative?  We have the first real shot at getting the game back in some form and whenever I see a discouraging post it completely boggles my mind, regardless of how much money or time you spent.
I want to point out that the majority (by a huge margin) are saying they would be sad to not get their character data or account data. That they would still play without one/the other/both. There are vanishingly few people who are saying "all or nothing". There's very few discouraging posts in this thread. Just because you read them that way doesn't mean they actually are.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Matt Bold

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3822 on: July 08, 2014, 07:19:15 PM »
I want to point out that the majority (by a huge margin) are saying they would be sad to not get their character data or account data. That they would still play without one/the other/both. There are vanishingly few people who are saying "all or nothing". There's very few discouraging posts in this thread. Just because you read them that way doesn't mean they actually are.

Maybe it's just the biggest whiners and the responses to those whiners that are making it seem like a bigger issue than it is, which means I would be contributing to that.  Whoops!

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3823 on: July 08, 2014, 07:20:42 PM »
First Mission was her soloing Atlas Park cause we only had one computer that we were fighting over.

Edit: Favorite Character creation date...no clue.  :roll:

Nice!

Kaderie

• Underling
« Reply #3824 on: July 08, 2014, 07:21:19 PM »
So I've been checking this thread compulsively over the last week. I can't believe how excited I am by the mere possibility of CoH coming back. I thought I'd moved on, but apparently not *laughs*

First of all, a MASSIVE thanks to Ironwolf and the mysterious behind-the-scenes team for all the hard work. I can't tell you how happy your efforts make me.

Second, I've been following the discussion that's erupted regarding account data with some interest.

I had close to a dozen 50s, all incarnated and hours upon hours spent on perfecting their builds, which included purples and PvP IOs. I'd be lying if I said that losing them doesn't make me a little sad, but it turns out I'm actually quite giddy with excitement, too, to recreate them. Better. Stronger. Faster. *laughs* A clean slate means I might actually snag some better names for them, too.

But I do sympathize with those who are demotivated by the thought of not getting their characters. So I have an idea, a sort of compromise regarding the use of Sentinel files. Now, I believe that using the sentinel files would be bad form, because a lot of the community either did not know about it, were locked out of certain characters due to subscription issues and thus couldn't access them to snapshot them, or just plain lost the files in the two years that have passed. Giving some people their characters back, but not others, leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.

So I propose the following:

Everyone who subscribes in the first month of launch can submit a mids build and create a fully slotted Level 50 character.

Only one per account.

Now I know what you're thinking. "But Kaderie, people will give themselves fully purpled out characters!" And to that I say, yes, they will. And? Consider it a 'Welcome home' gift from the new devs, as well as a form of compensation for the many alts lost. These will still have to be re-leveled and reslotted. For many such as myself it will still be an overall loss, since I had many purple'd characters, and if someone, somewhere might be slightly better off than they were before, well, what's the harm in that? Everyone still starts out on equal footing, and it will significantly take the sting off for the people in this thread who really can't stand losing their 50s.

Now, it could be possible to create multiple accounts to get that level 50 multiple times and strip them of valuables to sell. That's why I recommend locking it behind a pay wall, ie, subscription or perhaps something more pricey (3-month sub, maybe), and to have it be a limited time offer, let's say, the first month after launch. If someone wants to pay for the privilege of increasing the supply of purples/PVP IOs in the game (which will likely be severely lacking for a number of months), well, I actually consider that a win for the game's economy. 'sides, it's not like IOs weren't already for sale in the cash shop anyway, and getting rich in the game is not hard :P

Thoughts?

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3825 on: July 08, 2014, 07:21:28 PM »

Yeah I think most people really just want the game back in the end.  Not getting the game back because a few disagreed with not getting characters back would still be a disservice to the community and the game.  Getting it back with the characters is ideal yes, but if it comes to it getting the game back is more important.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3826 on: July 08, 2014, 07:24:43 PM »
You'd think he'd know my name...it's Blissfully Wed, Dear.
BAZINGA!!!!!!!!!

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3827 on: July 08, 2014, 07:27:06 PM »
BTW why are we assuming that we won't be able to get our characters back? Is there proof I missed about that data being missing or corrupted somehow? I'm sure they could create a way of linking old account data with the new account you'd likely have to make with the game's new owners.

Happily Married

• ABSOLUTELY!!!1ONE
  • Minion
« Reply #3828 on: July 08, 2014, 07:27:30 PM »
BAZINGA!!!!!!!!!

You have fallen for one of my classic pranks.
@Happily Married
   (aka - Tennessee Bonfire, Capt Mercury, Mister Guardian)

gypsyav

• Boss
« Reply #3829 on: July 08, 2014, 07:29:54 PM »
But I do sympathize with those who are demotivated by the thought of not getting their characters. So I have an idea, a sort of compromise regarding the use of Sentinel files. Now, I believe that using the sentinel files would be bad form, because a lot of the community either did not know about it, were locked out of certain characters due to subscription issues and thus couldn't access them to snapshot them, or just plain lost the files in the two years that have passed. Giving some people their characters back, but not others, leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Everyone who subscribes in the first month of launch can submit a mids build and create a fully slotted Level 50 character.

Not everyone wants their characters back for their level or what they were slotted with. What matters to me is my characters stories. I can incorporate a loss of power into their stories, no big deal. It's the costumes I may never be able to recreate that I'd miss most.
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3830 on: July 08, 2014, 07:30:46 PM »
I cannot understand why some people are getting upset if we are unable to have our characters back or all the rewards/purchases we accumulated.

You don't have them now, nobody ever promised that you will have them back, ever, so why are you being negative?  We have the first real shot at getting the game back in some form and whenever I see a discouraging post it completely boggles my mind, regardless of how much money or time you spent.
Well, think of it in CoH terms.

Does Icon make you happy?  I makes me feel good to use it.  It is better than nothing, right?

But don't most people want more than just Icon even though it was never promised to us?

Or say you were told CoH is coming back in I4 state.   You would understand that is "better than what I have now" of course....but wouldn't you also want all the cool stuff that came out after I4?    I for one would miss Masterminds.

You may also notice quite a few people expressing a wish that we could get I24.  If not right away at least "soon".   They aren't being "negative" are they?

Dinah Might

• Minion
« Reply #3831 on: July 08, 2014, 07:31:19 PM »

I get what your saying about getting characters back.  At least we have the game.

However I'm on the fence about not getting rewards like costumes back.  On one side, I already paid for these items and I would hate to pay for them twice.  Even it is under new management.  Not to mention, it isn't like this game is back forever (I understand they are purchasing the IP with the intent to create CoH2?).  I feel like we should be given all the costumes and such at launch. But on the otherhand, any purchase we make will be going to CoH2.  I was ready to crowd source fund this anyways, so I suppose it is ok.

Happily Married

• ABSOLUTELY!!!1ONE
  • Minion
« Reply #3832 on: July 08, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
Not everyone wants their characters back for their level or what they were slotted with. What matters to me is my characters stories. I can incorporate a loss of power into their stories, no big deal. It's the costumes I may never be able to recreate that I'd miss most.

Play in ICON...that's what I did.
@Happily Married
   (aka - Tennessee Bonfire, Capt Mercury, Mister Guardian)

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3833 on: July 08, 2014, 07:33:19 PM »

Only one per account.

Now I know what you're thinking. "But Kaderie, people will give themselves fully purpled out characters!" And to that I say, yes, they will. And? Consider it a 'Welcome home' gift from the new devs, as well as a form of compensation for the many alts lost. These will still have to be re-leveled and reslotted. For many such as myself it will still be an overall loss, since I had many purple'd characters, and if someone, somewhere might be slightly better off than they were before, well, what's the harm in that? Everyone still starts out on equal footing, and it will significantly take the sting off for the people in this thread who really can't stand losing their 50s.

Now, it could be possible to create multiple accounts to get that level 50 multiple times and strip them of valuables to sell. That's why I recommend locking it behind a pay wall, ie, subscription or perhaps something more pricey (3-month sub, maybe), and to have it be a limited time offer, let's say, the first month after launch. If someone wants to pay for the privilege of increasing the supply of purples/PVP IOs in the game (which will likely be severely lacking for a number of months), well, I actually consider that a win for the game's economy. 'sides, it's not like IOs weren't already for sale in the cash shop anyway, and getting rich in the game is not hard :P

Thoughts?
That's not bad.   Would certainly take the sting out of it.   I had two accounts so that would give me some of my old "option at log in" right away.

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3834 on: July 08, 2014, 07:33:32 PM »
In a perfect world I would be able to log on to Guardian and within seconds be greeted by someone saying "MU!!" in Guardian chat. That would be pure bliss.

Fridgy Daiere

« Reply #3835 on: July 08, 2014, 07:34:12 PM »
--  Snip --
Thoughts?

Not a bad idea.  I'd probably not include PVP IOs in there, though.  Then there's also the fact that there has been lots of talk about the re-release including I24 and Mids only currently supports I23.

If the ideas being bandied about in the other forum come to fruition, costumes wouldn't be too much hassle, and stories are meant to be told and retold.  I think this idea is for taking away a bit of the sting of losing everything we had if our character data is gone.

Edit:  MU!!

Matt Bold

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3836 on: July 08, 2014, 07:34:49 PM »
Well, think of it in CoH terms.

Does Icon make you happy?  I makes me feel good to use it.  It is better than nothing, right?

But don't most people want more than just Icon even though it was never promised to us?

Or say you were told CoH is coming back in I4 state.   You would understand that is "better than what I have now" of course....but wouldn't you also want all the cool stuff that came out after I4?    I for one would miss Masterminds.

You may also notice quite a few people expressing a wish that we could get I24.  If not right away at least "soon".   They aren't being "negative" are they?

I wasn't referring to the people who are saddened at the possibly would could not get our characters back, but the few people I've read in the last several dozen pages that think they are automatically entitled to it and that without everything they would refuse to play again.

gypsyav

• Boss
« Reply #3837 on: July 08, 2014, 07:37:24 PM »
Play in ICON...that's what I did.

Playing with them in ICON isn't the same as saving the world in them. :)
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #3838 on: July 08, 2014, 07:51:02 PM »

Only one per account.

Thoughts?

That's really not a bad idea--especially the putting the "get one full-on 50" behind a paywall to prevent someone from just creating 100 accounts to duplicate high-level items (and if they do....all the better for the new team's revenue stream!). I also like the "make it a one time/one-month offer" suggestion too. This is the sort of scenario I was stating I'd be ok with earlier. If everyone just got ONE "set up" character, it would take away some of the sting. Would it be the same? No way... I had dozens of 50s (at least 10 were fully IO'd with expensive stuff) and every other slot filled with an alt that was at least level 20... I had every costume, powerset, and unlockable unlocked. I even had two different "special edition" costumes from two different Comic-Cons when I met the dev team. I have WAY more to lose than one fully IO'd hero...

So, if, at the risk of everyone getting one 50, I got one...ehh... Not gamebreaking.

My wager? Even if a "free 50" was NOT offered if/when the game goes live, there will be a level 50 standing in Atlas Park within the day the servers go live.

Count on it.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3839 on: July 08, 2014, 07:52:03 PM »
I wasn't referring to the people who are saddened at the possibly would could not get our characters back, but the few people I've read in the last several dozen pages that think they are automatically entitled to it and that without everything they would refuse to play again.

(In his best Ronal Regan voice) There you go again.
I am an ass, but don't we all love a good ass!