Author Topic: News?  (Read 241555 times)

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
Re: News?
« Reply #560 on: October 03, 2012, 02:05:03 AM »
The statement they have put out will more than likely end up backfiring, due to some obvious questions - if it was so special, why was it murdered?
My thought exactly.

Shut down Paragon Studios without a second's warning, claim the decision was hard, try to make it look like negotiations failed because of someone else's position rather than yours...and then throw out this line to us about how much the game meant to you, and how you want us to toe the line and help you remember it fondly?

Nuh-uh, I don't think so, my corporate chum.

When NCSoft closed Tabula Rasa, there was never a mention of negotiations, nor of selling any IP. They just steamrollered over everyone - including Richard Garriott himself of course, with a fabricated resignation letter which they tried to fob off as being his words.

This time, things are different. They tried the silent approach, but every time they opened their mailbag, every time they checked their email, there we were. On Twitter, in blogs, in the gaming press, even in CNN's iReport - there we were.
And we weren't going away.

This time, it gradually began to dawn on them that City of Heroes is not Tabula Rasa...or Dungeon Runners, Exteel, or Auto Assault either, and giving CoH players the silent approach wasn't working. The more silent they were, the louder we became.

So they caved and issued a statement. A statement intended to say how lovely they were, how hard this decision was, and how with the end looming, and...can't we all just...get along?

Here's the kicker though - they folded because we're the aggrieved party here. In the eyes of observers we're the good guys and they're the bad guys, the cruel corporation with a heart of stone. So we have to keep being the good guys. If we stoop to their level, then history will mark us down as being just as bad as they are. We have an opportunity here, perhaps unprecedented in videogame history - all we have to do is keep doing what we've been doing.

They can wait.
And wait.
And wait some more.
...but we won't go away.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #561 on: October 03, 2012, 02:23:13 AM »

When NCSoft closed Tabula Rasa, there was never a mention of negotiations, nor of selling any IP. They just steamrollered over everyone - including Richard Garriott himself of course, with a fabricated resignation letter which they tried to fob off as being his words.

Let's not beat around the bush here, but call that what it was defined as in court.

They forged a letter. 

Why should, or would, we believe anything that admitted forgers say?  Why should anyone?

This time, things are different. They tried the silent approach, but every time they opened their mailbag, every time they checked their email, there we were. On Twitter, in blogs, in the gaming press, even in CNN's iReport - there we were.
And we weren't going away.

This time, it gradually began to dawn on them that City of Heroes is not Tabula Rasa...or Dungeon Runners, Exteel, or Auto Assault either, and giving CoH players the silent approach wasn't working. The more silent they were, the louder we became.

So they caved and issued a statement. A statement intended to say how lovely they were, how hard this decision was, and how with the end looming, and...can't we all just...get along?

Here's the kicker though - they folded because we're the aggrieved party here. In the eyes of observers we're the good guys and they're the bad guys, the cruel corporation with a heart of stone. So we have to keep being the good guys. If we stoop to their level, then history will mark us down as being just as bad as they are. We have an opportunity here, perhaps unprecedented in videogame history - all we have to do is keep doing what we've been doing.

They can wait.
And wait.
And wait some more.
...but we won't go away.

I think that barring a miracle, the servers will go down on Nov. 30.  The big question is whether they will stay down.

Someone who does this better than me needs to figure out who the 800 lb gorilla in the room is.  If it happens to be Nexon...perhaps it is time to include Nexon in on the pressure.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #562 on: October 03, 2012, 02:25:42 AM »
There are different ways to be the 800lb gorilla, but even a 100lb chimp can be deadly.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #563 on: October 03, 2012, 02:28:58 AM »
There are different ways to be the 800lb gorilla, but even a 100lb chimp can be deadly.

Just don't eat anybody's face, ok?
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #564 on: October 03, 2012, 02:30:46 AM »

...awwwwwww.

* DrakeGrimm puts away face-eating utensils and pouts
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #565 on: October 03, 2012, 02:30:56 AM »

<like button>  :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #566 on: October 03, 2012, 02:38:05 AM »

A swarm of squirrels can be deadly (Helllllo internet!)

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #567 on: October 03, 2012, 02:54:10 AM »
Let's not beat around the bush here, but call that what it was defined as in court.

They forged a letter. 

Why should, or would, we believe anything that admitted forgers say?  Why should anyone?

I think that barring a miracle, the servers will go down on Nov. 30.  The big question is whether they will stay down.

Someone who does this better than me needs to figure out who the 800 lb gorilla in the room is.  If it happens to be Nexon...perhaps it is time to include Nexon in on the pressure.

Yes, time to take this to Nexon too.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #568 on: October 03, 2012, 03:06:15 AM »
Friend of mine in-game just posted the following, which I copy/paste here:

"It was basically a "We feel really bad for setting that puppy on fire. We want you to know that we loved the puppy too. But once we doused in in gasoline and lit it on fire, we just couldn't put it out."

"We even tried waving a fan at it to put the flames out and everything, but sadly all options are exhausted. Now let's please stop trying to put the puppy out, and instead hug and share happy memories of the puppy while it burns to death."

And also please stop mentioning to everyone how we set puppies on fire."

I wanted to respond to them with an "Oh NCSoft, I'm trying hard to see things from your perspective, but try as I might I just can't get my head lodged that far up my ass."

Which I thought was one of the best summations I've yet seen.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #569 on: October 03, 2012, 03:07:20 AM »
+5 Internets!

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #570 on: October 03, 2012, 03:11:38 AM »
@Atlantea, that deserves to be repeated EVERYWHERE.  And it got a "THAT IS AWESOME!" from Larry.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #571 on: October 03, 2012, 03:17:37 AM »
All credit for that must go to @Vhaillor2003

I saw your high-five and relayed it back to him. He was pleased. :D

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #572 on: October 03, 2012, 03:25:42 AM »
All credit for that must go to @Vhaillor2003

And, now he will be assailed with global friend requests. :)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #573 on: October 03, 2012, 03:32:23 AM »

Thank you, friend of Atlantea... you just made me erupt in laughter in the middle of class.  Professor is displeased, emu does not care.

Brilliant.

Blitzwing

• Lieutenant
  • Boot to the Head!
« Reply #574 on: October 03, 2012, 05:01:55 AM »
In other words, they are attempting a Muhammed Ali-style response. Attempting to outlast us in terms of the endurance front. Their mistake, considering that to do this involves putting themselves in an apparently losing position in attempt to go on the offensive when one's opponent is tired out. It has, of course, been pointed out that we as a community have not yet gathered our full momentum. I dare say that we've yet to get out of first gear.

The statement they have put out will more than likely end up backfiring, due to some obvious questions - if it was so special, why was it murdered?

*Breaks out the boxing tape* ^_^ (As mentioned elsewhere, this is my "Impending Chaos/Let the Games Begin" face).

The best part of this is that we really haven't been targeting our blows, so much as just keeping them at a constant rhythm. I believe that the time is approaching to start going for the knock-out.

Forget approaching...they've just realized we're not going anywhere...I read this as they're stunned...and we need to go for the k.o. -now-....   >:(

padathir

• Minion
« Reply #575 on: October 03, 2012, 04:13:36 PM »
Holy dick, NCSoft actually SAID SOMETHING? I was beginning to think they'd forgotten how to use language  :P

Keep piling it on!  :)

frostcoh

• Minion
« Reply #576 on: October 03, 2012, 04:22:59 PM »
Holy dick, NCSoft actually SAID SOMETHING? I was beginning to think they'd forgotten how to use language  :P

Keep piling it on!  :)

This!

To paraphrase Victoria, we have made NcSoft stagger, but they aren't on the ropes yet.  Punch harder and faster people,don't stop now.  It's time for a new wave of masks, this time, printed on red paper.

Snow Globe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #577 on: October 03, 2012, 05:38:37 PM »
At this point, you seem to be actively trying to get people to give up. While you may not think you are, this is the way you are coming across.

Please stop. I don't want to have to recommend segregating you from the community. You are a good person.
My last post in this thread:

I'm not against saving CoH. However I don't expect that NCsoft will be in any shape involved in that effort. I expect them to go out of their way to prevent any use of the IP.

I was here looking for news that anyone else was getting the rights to the IP, yet I found people that are demand "more proof" than one can reasonably expect. They are asking for any official word, and when it it presented to them they claim that it isn't "good enough".

On top of that, I then get insulted for expressing my opinion.

Civility is a two way street. One which you understand, unlike a couple other posters.

Edit:
By all means, do whatever you guys fell you need to (well, within reason I would think). Please, for your own sense of well being remember that you simply can't force something away from someone who owns it. The burden of time is on the players, not the company. Once they started the process, and especially once they make the game dark, time is no longer a factor to them. They can shelve the whole game and every piece of hardware associated with it indefinitely. You have no control over them.

You do however have control over whether or not you give them any more money and whether or not you live with a void where the game used to fill or if you make it whole with something else or a suitable alternative. This is where you have power.
And this was the point of my posts in this thread.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #578 on: October 03, 2012, 06:23:15 PM »

Thank you friend of Atlantea! LOL, here at work!

cptbarcode

• Minion
« Reply #579 on: October 03, 2012, 06:51:10 PM »
As a guesstimate, I'd say 50,000 subscribers paying $10,000 each (or a 100,000 subscribers paying $5,000 each) would be needed to be taken seriously by NCsoft.

Half a billion dollars? Seriously? That's an outrageously high figure; insulting, even. As an investment, a ~1% annual return might beat short-term Treasuries, but those are liquid.