Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7326736 times)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #13180 on: November 20, 2014, 05:17:38 PM »
inventors of "the cloud"

bounced things back and forth between servers till they settle on the lines in between using the wires as a physical storage medium.

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #13181 on: November 20, 2014, 05:31:23 PM »
they describe how the program they developed bounced things back and forth between servers till they settle on the lines in between using the wires as a physical storage medium.

I'd really like to see a scientific article describing this in detail.

Because it really sounds like something that would be breaking several laws of Physics,
Thermodynamics, and Electromagnetism to me.

Copper wire doesn't work that way.  The lines would have to be continuously charged.
And what about Fiber Optic?  There's certainly no way that I know of to "store" anything
on a piece of plastic fiber optic cable.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #13182 on: November 20, 2014, 05:34:06 PM »
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Surelle

« Reply #13183 on: November 20, 2014, 05:54:08 PM »
The sun does move. The earth moves, the moon moves, all the planets in the solar system move and on top of all of that our solar system moves with our galaxy and it moves within a far vaster galaxy which also moves in reference to all the other galaxies.

The universe isn't static and we live near a variable star. Hence the reason from the late 1970's until 1997 the planet got warmer. Since 1998 we have been in a solar minimum above and beyond the normal 11 year cycle. In 2009 we had a period of 260 days without a single sunspot. That year the planets atmosphere collapsed 46% - this then caused several year of turbulent weather when it expanded back out in 2010 / 2011.

I have studied astronomy now since I was 9 - so 46 years. I am an amateur but it doesn't mean i don't understand how it all works. The thing I worry about is not global warming it is the prolonged affect of the cooling we are now facing. Getting January weather in Novenmber is not good, I say looking out my window at 6 inches of lake effect snow and also to the lake Erie area where they have 6+ FEET of lake effect snow.

For sure-- I live in New England and our winters have gotten progressively worse for years (with no spring and little fall besides).  I bought an orchid for my window in mid-April and the temp dropped to 27 degrees for weeks.  Needless to say it died even with the windows closed.  In mid-April!  "Global Warming" my foot.  There's definitely been Global Cooling going on in recent years in my neck of the woods.

Just look at Buffalo right now!  With another 3 feet coming!  My state of MA is rolling out several oversized snow plows that are hitting the road today, driving straight to Buffalo to help out.  I just hope we don't get hit with any snow real soon ourselves.  It's barely 20 degrees at night already, sometimes it doesn't even hit the 30s during the day.  I can't believe they even make the kids go to recess outdoors still, but they do.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13184 on: November 20, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »
Go back and watch the first episode of Sliders.  In the first world Quinn Mallory slides to, he ends up where the radio announcer asks, "So how about that global cooling?".

:)

City of Heroes, too, is cool globally.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #13185 on: November 20, 2014, 07:22:22 PM »
"Global Warming" my foot.  There's definitely been Global Cooling going on in recent years in my neck of the woods.

http://xkcd.com/1321/
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #13186 on: November 20, 2014, 07:33:55 PM »
I'd really like to see a scientific article describing this in detail.

Because it really sounds like something that would be breaking several laws of Physics,
Thermodynamics, and Electromagnetism to me.

Copper wire doesn't work that way.  The lines would have to be continuously charged.
And what about Fiber Optic?  There's certainly no way that I know of to "store" anything
on a piece of plastic fiber optic cable.

I would love to see this, as well.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13187 on: November 20, 2014, 07:35:11 PM »
Put me down Annual Global Seasonal Weather Change.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #13188 on: November 20, 2014, 07:45:32 PM »
it is projected from the sun which is stationary,

Aaaaahhahahahahahahaha!!

No it isn't, you dingus! :p

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13189 on: November 20, 2014, 07:51:09 PM »
Except that's not cloud computing. Lots of servers sharing resources is clustering. Dynamically distributing load to clusters is part of what virtualization offers, along with fast provisioning (cloning) to scale to accommodate load. The industry has been doing all of those for much longer than the term 'Cloud' has been in vogue.

I find that wikipedia article amusing because it has a lot of self-referential terminology that describes the idea of 'cloud computing', but little to no details on how it's actually implemented. The concept is as nebulous as the name implies, and to those of us who actually work with the technologies every day it's nothing more than a pointless marketing catchphrase. Especially when people talk about 'private cloud', I scratch my head and say... "Uh, you mean datacenter? Yeah, we've got one of those."

Though, to be accurate, you can't unconditionally state that cloud services are all hosted on clusters of many servers. You don't know that, you can't know that, the whole point of 'cloud' is that you don't care. A cloud provider sells (well, leases) you a service. That service might be hosted on a state of the art geographically distributed cluster of hundreds of servers. Or it might be on a single Dell in a closet because you're the only subscriber for that service. It's up to the provider to figure out what technology to use to meet the requirements they promised as part of the service. That's why I say that 'cloud' is merely a politically correct synonym for 'outsourcing'.

Your talking about using the internet as a network medium entirely and with the load distributed directly onto the internet :/.  Heres another article, says practically the same thing.  http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cloud-computing/cloud-computing.htm and the article also touches in more detail.

You have to remember that the client isn't doing 100% of the work, only a small amount of it.  The reason for example I could play say, an UE3 engine game on this laptop that doesn't even have a proper graphics driver through cloud computing is the laptop doesn't handle any of the rendering or even running the game, all of that is done on the cloud, that huge load of servers connected to each other over the internet.  Of course, I don't do that, but my saves in skyrim, are all stored for example on steams end.

I wouldn't say that cloud computing is a politically correct term as "Outsourcing" entirely, i'd say it's a bit more grey then that.  I'm not saying it's more or less secure, do be aware of that codewalker, heck my instructors mentioned its a good question to really ask "is how secure is the cloud provider"?  But you still need some local network infrastructure for your client computers to get to the cloud.  It's better to think of cloud as, your outsourcing the server functions specifically, or in the case of cloud gaming your out-sourcing to compensate for crappy video card/lower ram ect.  And you still need very solid bandwidth and america isn't exactly keeping up on that.  If you were in europe though such services would probably be dozens of times better due to competing isp's endlessly improving their infrastructure backbones.

I tend to view it as a much more complex vpn, :/.  Whether you trust cloud computing or not honestly thats up to you guys on that in general though, I mean I can't blame anyone who worries.  To me it's an option, has some strong points, other bad points know.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13190 on: November 20, 2014, 07:57:34 PM »
To anyone arguing against climate change.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBdxDFpDp_k

Heres a good way of debunking every time someone uses winter as an excuse to try and debunk climate change.  Climate isn't the same as weather.  Climate is long-term change which is far easier to predict, because it is the AVERAGE over a course of a far far number of years, usually 10 to 100 years.  Weather is a week to week basis(at the longest).  But there are numerous causes and man made causes certainly exist.

Weather, in climate change, is actually far LESS predictable as more extremes happen :/.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13191 on: November 20, 2014, 07:57:51 PM »
Jezz you guys are so wrong about everything.  The reason it gets dark is because the sun blinks.  But its a cosmic blink so from the perception of tiny mortal human minds it seems like it takes several hours.  To the universe it's not even noticeable.  And the solar system and all galaxies sit still.  However, the cosmo's are at kegger though.  And they are doing that ol put your head on a bat and spin drinking game.  So its currently moving but again cosmic time difference.  And when it stops spinning we are gonna loose most of the milky way when the universe barfs.  And you don't even want to know what happens when the universe does a keg stand.  (Spoiler:  It's a Vaccum Metastability event!)

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13192 on: November 20, 2014, 08:13:09 PM »
Man.............That City of Heroes game was a lot of fun until "They" shut it down. I wonder if we will ever get to play it again?????
Nudge Nudge

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #13193 on: November 20, 2014, 08:17:02 PM »
Jezz you guys are so wrong about everything.  The reason it gets dark is because the sun blinks.  But its a cosmic blink so from the perception of tiny mortal human minds it seems like it takes several hours.  To the universe it's not even noticeable.  And the solar system and all galaxies sit still.  However, the cosmo's are at kegger though.  And they are doing that ol put your head on a bat and spin drinking game.  So its currently moving but again cosmic time difference.  And when it stops spinning we are gonna loose most of the milky way when the universe barfs.  And you don't even want to know what happens when the universe does a keg stand.  (Spoiler:  It's a Vaccum Metastability event!)
Lol!   

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13194 on: November 20, 2014, 08:28:09 PM »
Man.............That City of Heroes game was a lot of fun until "They" shut it down. I wonder if we will ever get to play it again?????
Nudge Nudge

I'm just patiently waiting as I have my plans when city of heroes comes out.

Edit: Comes back out, I should say.  Or released from jail, yeah, afterall, alot of proof city of heroes is innocent now!

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13195 on: November 20, 2014, 08:29:24 PM »
Nudge Nudge

They shut down City of Heroes?!

Tell me all about it.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #13196 on: November 20, 2014, 08:52:19 PM »
Psst -- I don't think Codewalker was the subject of that post.  ;)
Nope. But that's neither here nor there.  ;) Codewalker (and most others) seem to have a fairly good working model of reality running and a general awareness of the limits of that model, so they have a good idea of what they also don't know. Whereas there are some who aren't quite as good at that, and in areas where they have little direct knowledge they simply fill it in with how they think it should be and will deny evidence and facts to the contrary until presented with overwhelming proof.

Which wouldn't be quite so bad if they hadn't done that many times already while denying the aspects of reality that don't work the way they think it should, so it's already based on a model laced with rich veins of not quite logical reasoning and outright factually wrong. While these flights of fancy can be occasionally interesting, if you're trying to have any sort of serious discussion it requires a mix of headdesking and many paragraphs of citations, explanations, diagrams, and links just to get them on the same page.

Or you can settle for briefly stating why their assertion doesn't follow from the known facts and continue the conversation with everyone else and hope that's enough. (It frequently isn't.)
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13197 on: November 20, 2014, 08:54:57 PM »
To anyone arguing against climate change.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBdxDFpDp_k

Heres a good way of debunking every time someone uses winter as an excuse to try and debunk climate change.  Climate isn't the same as weather.  Climate is long-term change which is far easier to predict, because it is the AVERAGE over a course of a far far number of years, usually 10 to 100 years.  Weather is a week to week basis(at the longest).  But there are numerous causes and man made causes certainly exist.

Weather, in climate change, is actually far LESS predictable as more extremes happen :/.

You see Alex the whole point of my arguement is we KNOW the sunspot record since the 1560's. We do not have the weather records. The so-called scientists studying "climate" are using models to predict the future. I have openly offered to bet my house and bank account versus theirs if since they can predict the variation of temperture 100 years in the future - if they could tell me what the temperature at my house next year will be within the same amount. They say it will warm 2 degrees - so I will give you a 2 degree variation.

It is utter nonsense. Here is some interesting reading on the various excuses for what they are now calling "The Pause" in the climate community.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/climate-fail-files/list-of-excuses-for-the-pause-in-global-warming/

What they don't tell you is that while we were warming on earth - so were the other planets. They also aren't telling you that it is now cooling on the other planets. If you make a theory - you do so because the facts point in that direction. You don't try to fit the facts into YOUR theory.  This is what they have done and the damage done to respect for science is great.

I actually wrote to NASA to ask for their data on the warming on other planets. I noted that the Ice caps on Mars were smaller - http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html - unfortunately they never responded.

Now on earth our polar caps are at record levels: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415191/And-global-COOLING-Return-Arctic-ice-cap-grows-29-year.html

Here is a fun one about the rise and fall of the Martian Ice Caps: http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/09/ice-caps-at-mars-poles-reflect-suns-impact-on-climate-change.html

While humans may have some affect on our climate - more through deforrestation than CO2 - to blame the warming on man just isn't logical. If you take everything into consideration the affect of man's CO2 is less than 2% of the total on the planet - the vast majority of from 94-96% is water vapor. If you are telling me our 2% overrides the 95% - I have to say you aren't making any sense. I am not a climate scientist but I knew about this:

http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/SunspotCycle.shtml

Part of that cycle is a period of time called = The Maunder Minimum - http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/images/ssn_yearly.jpg during the Maunder Minimum was the Little Ice Age. It coincided directly with the sunspots falling off.  Here is a good video explaining it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhxRU_mqUSY

What this is basically saying is that we have entered a 30 year trough of earth temperature due to a less activate sun. These are facts not just models - it happened in the past and it is happening again. Another thing to search is the Dalton minimum. It is very similar to the Maunder just shorter. They also know by where the sunspots even form as to where we are in the cycle.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13198 on: November 20, 2014, 08:58:23 PM »
I have to say Ironwolf, you have more endurance than I on this subject.

You've explained it quite well. TY

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13199 on: November 20, 2014, 09:21:01 PM »
You see Alex the whole point of my arguement is we KNOW the sunspot record since the 1560's. We do not have the weather records. The so-called scientists studying "climate" are using models to predict the future. I have openly offered to bet my house and bank account versus theirs if since they can predict the variation of temperture 100 years in the future - if they could tell me what the temperature at my house next year will be within the same amount. They say it will warm 2 degrees - so I will give you a 2 degree variation.

It is utter nonsense. Here is some interesting reading on the various excuses for what they are now calling "The Pause" in the climate community.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/climate-fail-files/list-of-excuses-for-the-pause-in-global-warming/

What they don't tell you is that while we were warming on earth - so were the other planets. They also aren't telling you that it is now cooling on the other planets. If you make a theory - you do so because the facts point in that direction. You don't try to fit the facts into YOUR theory.  This is what they have done and the damage done to respect for science is great.

I actually wrote to NASA to ask for their data on the warming on other planets. I noted that the Ice caps on Mars were smaller - http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html - unfortunately they never responded.

Now on earth our polar caps are at record levels: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415191/And-global-COOLING-Return-Arctic-ice-cap-grows-29-year.html

Here is a fun one about the rise and fall of the Martian Ice Caps: http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/09/ice-caps-at-mars-poles-reflect-suns-impact-on-climate-change.html

While humans may have some affect on our climate - more through deforrestation than CO2 - to blame the warming on man just isn't logical. If you take everything into consideration the affect of man's CO2 is less than 2% of the total on the planet - the vast majority of from 94-96% is water vapor. If you are telling me our 2% overrides the 95% - I have to say you aren't making any sense. I am not a climate scientist but I knew about this:

http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/SunspotCycle.shtml

Part of that cycle is a period of time called = The Maunder Minimum - http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/images/ssn_yearly.jpg during the Maunder Minimum was the Little Ice Age. It coincided directly with the sunspots falling off.  Here is a good video explaining it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhxRU_mqUSY

What this is basically saying is that we have entered a 30 year trough of earth temperature due to a less activate sun. These are facts not just models - it happened in the past and it is happening again. Another thing to search is the Dalton minimum. It is very similar to the Maunder just shorter. They also know by where the sunspots even form as to where we are in the cycle.

And alot of deniers had been debunked man, really you going to go there, here, of all places?  Firstly there is a reason climate change is CALLED climate change now rather than just global warming, because the warming of a few places can mean one place might cool due to changing air/water currents.  Thats to be expected.

Now, think for a few seconds about a larger ice cap, could that be a good thing?  Yes but does it mean we should pump more crap into the air and into the oceans?  No, because when the ice cap receeds again, it'll just be worst.

http://www.nature.com/news/climate-change-the-case-of-the-missing-heat-1.14525

So next time it receeds, and we pump more methane and carbon dioxide, do we really want to make it worst?  Heck, I honestly would rather emissions be cut simply because, do you know anyone who was around in the days the emissions were not regulated?  Have you even seen what cities look like when polution isn't kept in check?  Nasty stuff.

And I get a feeling you probably hate the guy but;
http://billmoyers.com/2014/05/16/eight-pseudo-scientific-climate-claims-debunked-by-real-scientists/

Debunked everything you just said, sorry.  Read about that months ago, but I get a feeling you'll believe what you want to, your wired that way.  Not the first of that, allignment to argue that and while you have strong points in other areas, you gotta learn to not give into only believing what you want to believe.  Some people are far better educated at the topic maybe you should, I don't know, listen to them. 

It also points out the land ice and the difference between land ice and sea ice.  Sea ice makes little to no difference on the ocean compared to land ice.  Very big difference.