Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7349823 times)

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #26940 on: March 22, 2017, 12:08:56 AM »
I don't blame them, and personally held back from using direct swear words myself.  Another MOBA, so likely to be as generic as the rest of them, will have a character from a game which was very non-generic.

I think thats the big insult to me, that and the fact that they don't want to drop the IP, this feels like there last attempt to hold onto it.  When the game fails for not standing out as many MOBA's are like to fail(even more-so with a blizzard MOBA out there doing well alongside DoTA), Ncsoft will shut it down to like they have so many games before.

Regardless of the intentions, it's insulting.

A note: Nate has posted a few things, he's shown irritation himself.
This proves NC soft was NEVER in good faith. There must be a way sue the piss out of them. Where are Nates comments?

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26941 on: March 22, 2017, 12:31:16 AM »
A note: Nate has posted a few things, he's shown irritation himself.

Do you know where he posted it?  I didn't see anything from him on that particular video a few posts up, but he may be using a different username

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26942 on: March 22, 2017, 12:40:56 AM »
Look at the comments.
I am an ass, but don't we all love a good ass!

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26943 on: March 22, 2017, 12:44:26 AM »
Look at the comments.
I don't see anything...

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
I am an ass, but don't we all love a good ass!

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26945 on: March 22, 2017, 12:52:28 AM »
In the comments on one of the Facebook topics, Nate said "it was always a remote chance anyways".   That sounds pretty conclusive (within the limits of what appears to be the most draconian NDA ever), unfortunately.

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #26946 on: March 22, 2017, 12:57:33 AM »
In the comments on one of the Facebook topics, Nate said "it was always a remote chance anyways".   That sounds pretty conclusive (within the limits of what appears to be the most draconian NDA ever), unfortunately.

I'm inclined to agree. If he was still in talks I would think he'd be silent.

Balince

• Minion
« Reply #26947 on: March 22, 2017, 01:03:19 AM »
I went from so high to so low so quickly. I was not the person who said they'd never support NC Soft after CoH but after that I may be there now. That is so messed up. For some MOBA, really?!?!!? I've played a lot of Dota and League of Legends the most popular MOBA's and they're wasting their time. They'd have a much higher chance of success with CoH 2. So freaking angry right now.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #26948 on: March 22, 2017, 01:25:07 AM »
Applying Occam's Razor, it seems much more likely to me to be a case of, "Hey, we need some characters to stick in this MOBA, preferably ones that we already own and won't have to license."

It does raise serious questions about the state of any potential IP sale though. Part of the IP being in active use would require modifications to any such deal or outright kill it, if it weren't already dead.

Yeah, along with Nate's "It was always a remote chance" comment, I think we can pretty well say goodbye to the "New Efforts" as such.  A long way to go for it to end with a whimper.  NCSoft has re-discovered it has it's own Company-owned Superhero pantheon which it can use in all kinds of ways... but not likely in any future MMORPG application.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #26949 on: March 22, 2017, 01:47:26 AM »
Oh, BTW...

Is it time to update the WAKE ME thread based on this and Nate's post?
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #26950 on: March 22, 2017, 01:48:04 AM »
Yep...in light of Nates' comments, I'd say it's all over with....barring of course, some unforeseen event....

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26951 on: March 22, 2017, 01:50:03 AM »
Oh, BTW...

/thread

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #26952 on: March 22, 2017, 01:56:33 AM »

I'm attempting to get an official comment from Nate (something more than a discussion post), and will update you guys if/when I do.

Failing that, I'll run with what we know.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #26953 on: March 22, 2017, 02:07:53 AM »
I get why people are upset, however, we should not feel upset. Why should we, some might ask; the reason being could be seen in a few ways, one is Ncsoft killed the deal (many of which many people go with.) Two they could see it as a way that they are seeing if people are still interested in City of Heroes, which in turn could cause a relaunch. Or three using Statesman does not mean anything nor does it revile the deal has died.
For as long as the deal has been ongoing I can see how people rush to think of the first thing.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26954 on: March 22, 2017, 02:11:56 AM »
I get why people are upset, however, we should not feel upset. Why should we, some might ask; the reason being could be seen in a few ways, one is Ncsoft killed the deal (many of which many people go with.) Two they could see it as a way that they are seeing if people are still interested in City of Heroes, which in turn could cause a relaunch. Or three using Statesman does not mean anything nor does it revile the deal has died.
For as long as the deal has been ongoing I can see how people rush to think of the first thing.
This means that they are using the IP though, witch means they aren't selling. I doubt they will sell it just so they can lease it back. If its relaunched with them I don't want it. Leave it buried then.

Surelle

« Reply #26955 on: March 22, 2017, 02:22:04 AM »
Well, please everyone remember that SCoRE is still alive....  And for right now we have Paragon Chat. 

Clearly, NCSoft is making a "we still own this IP" statement by publicly injecting the most iconic figure from CoH into another unrelated game.  But even if they hadn't, we still know they own the IP and obviously were never intent on leasing or selling it.  FIVE YEARS have gone by now. 

If nothing else, we got a concrete comment from Nate out of this whole fiasco, which is good in a way.  Those who still held out hope for an *official* re-launch can stop waiting for the other shoe to drop.  At least we have Paragon Chat for now...it's a lot better than nothing at all.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:29:18 AM by Surelle »

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #26956 on: March 22, 2017, 02:31:33 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LmAYsj9jiE

This is exactly how I feel.

And now we are left with the spiritual successors, for better or worse.

Pyromantic79

• Underling
« Reply #26957 on: March 22, 2017, 02:40:34 AM »
Not to stir the pot any more than we already have, I suppose, but I think it's worth mentioning that less than a month ago Nate posted on CoT's forums to the effect that he was not in a position to know the current status of the deal anyway.  I certainly take all this as a very negative sign, but I still find it baffling not to have heard anything from inside.

https://cityoftitans.com/forum/httpwwwigncomarticles20140903city-heroes-license-could-be-resurrected

Surelle

« Reply #26958 on: March 22, 2017, 03:09:12 AM »
Not to stir the pot any more than we already have, I suppose, but I think it's worth mentioning that less than a month ago Nate posted on CoT's forums to the effect that he was not in a position to know the current status of the deal anyway.  I certainly take all this as a very negative sign, but I still find it baffling not to have heard anything from inside.

https://cityoftitans.com/forum/httpwwwigncomarticles20140903city-heroes-license-could-be-resurrected

Where are posts from Nate in 2017 in this 3-year-old, necro'd thread?  I don't see anything; what username does he post under?

Kelltick

• Boss
« Reply #26959 on: March 22, 2017, 03:32:16 AM »
Where are posts from Nate in 2017 in this 3-year-old, necro'd thread?  I don't see anything; what username does he post under?

Doctor Tyche