Author Topic: Recruitment driver: Browncoats, Trekkies, Galacticans, Stargaters  (Read 9323 times)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
If we are going to do this Disney thing, we need outside help.  Please reach out to the fansites of other fan groups that have lost their passions, and brought them back via fan pressure.  Use the post below, or write your own.

You all know what it sounds like.  "It's just a tv show.  It's just a movie.  There's a million more like it.  Get over it.  You're obsessed."

No.  It wasn't just "a tv show" or "a movie."  It was something that, for whatever reason, spoke deep into your heart and soul and talked to you.  It was something that has meaning you can't explain--just as you can't explain why you love someone.  Maybe it was the characters, maybe it was the story, story that demanded to be continued, maybe it was how you could see yourself reflected there, or could picture new characters and stories no one had written yet.  Maybe it was the costuming.  Maybe it was the community.  Maybe it was all of those things, or something else entirely.

But it got you and it won't let go.

But we get that.  We understand.  We players of the game City of Heroes have the same passion for our game and our community.  And now, after years of prospering in spite of NCSoft's neglect, for no reason at all (certainly not that the game wasn't profitable, if only by a small margin), they're yanking it out from under us.

But you have something we never will.  You can't replay a game.  There are no DVDs, no movies, no souveniers.  Sure, we could still write about our heroes, but this is a visual media and it's not the same.

But we might have one last chance.

Four of us players have pitched the idea of buying the game to Disney Interactive.  But Disney is huge, and that just isn't enough.  We need to get their attention, and we need to do so in a way that is huge.

Can you help us?  Can you write Disney and tell them that we have the same passion that you do, that our game is worth saving, that in Disney's hands, this game could become the crown jewel of their online gaming?

Please?  We know you understand us, because we understand you.

Please help us.

Write physical letters--you know why already, because you've been down this road before.

Senior VP, Global Production, Disney Interactive Media Group
Jean-Marcel Nicolai
SaveCoH
500 S. Buena Vista St.
Burbank, CA 91521

CEO Walt Disney Company
Robert A. Iger,
SaveCoH
500 S. Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521

CEO Disney Interactive
John Pleasants
SaveCoH
500 South Buena Vista Street,
Burbank, CA 91521-8139
With your help, maybe we can have our own moment of rebirth.

Please, from all of us.

(Your name) for the players of City of Heroes.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
Re: Recruitment driver: Browncoats, Trekkies, Galacticans, Stargaters
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 10:07:23 PM »
I've reposted TF Hail Mary to everybody I know. Every gamer, geek, nerd, dork, and fan I know. You can do the same. Together, we can stand up and show everyone that fans cannot be ignored!
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:09:34 PM »
I re-posted it on Facebook.  It was well stated.  I don't have that many real life friends and contacts (and I am totally OK with it) but the ones I do have, will see it.  Thank you very much for putting that together for us.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 01:17:04 AM »
You can make accounts on fansites anywhere and post this.  This is a monumental task for one person, but broken up over a lot of us we can cover a ton of fansites in a couple of days. 

Can you guys please do this?
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Quinch

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 02:39:23 AM »
I'm not really a part of any fandom other than CoH, but I hang around Ponychan quite a bit. I think Bronies would be pretty receptive to us - the important things our communities have in common have nothing to do with either magical equines or capes and spandex.

ParagonGreg

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 02:47:34 AM »
It's posted right now on HoldTheLine.com.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 02:58:39 AM »
I'm not really a part of any fandom other than CoH, but I hang around Ponychan quite a bit. I think Bronies would be pretty receptive to us - the important things our communities have in common have nothing to do with either magical equines or capes and spandex.

Darn right!

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 03:08:03 AM »
This is my fandom. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

<.<

>.>
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »
the important things our communities have in common have nothing to do with either magical equines or capes and spandex.

Sure we have something in common:

We both have grumpy lion monsters. There is a Brony global channel, and I'm sure that there are more pony-inspired characters than just mine (and one of my SG-mates).

I don't have many friends that I can ask but I'll give sad eyes to the ones I do.
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

WildFire15

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 03:36:53 PM »
think any artists should try flooding Equestria Daily with hero pony art? may well get their attention and possibly help

Quinch

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 04:21:04 PM »
I... think...

I don't know. It has a pretty good chance of backfiring on us.

WildFire15

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 04:49:20 PM »
flood might be the wrong word, but the thought I had was that they have a daily article of fan art so maybe something like Mysterious Mare-do-Well versus a ponied Nemesis or Recluse might get their attention in some form. Just a thought, if not a particually good one

Mindscythe

• Lieutenant
  • "Any world is what you make of it."
    • SoR Radio
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 05:46:56 PM »
Posted on the official FOX Firefly Fan board (which I'm a part of as well). I'm hoping the Browncoats will help. -Mindscythe
"Radio... Radio... RADIO FREE OPPORTUNITY!"

http://www.profj.org/theradiospeaks/

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 02:03:44 PM »
I'm not a big member of too many fan communities, but I figured I could post to the White-Wolf forums, as I at least post on the Exalted sub-boards frequently. Figured I'd cross-link it back here in case anybody wanted to make the case in their own voices.

Quinch

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 02:13:02 PM »
I've posted a thread on Ponychan's /chat/ board. If anyone wants to swing by and add their thoughts, it wouldn't hurt - the thread is at http://www.ponychan.net/chan/chat/res/40391246.html

falnfenix

• Underling
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 12:18:52 AM »
tossed the text of the original post on my tumblr: http://falnfenix.tumblr.com/post/36989478278/a-few-hours-ago-i-came-out-as-a-fan-of-city-of

i don't have a HUGE reader base, but this might get reposted around.

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 01:08:58 AM »
What the frell, time to try everything, right?

http://www.facebook.com/ScienceAndSwords

They have a lot of fun stuff and many of my friends repost their notices.  So I posted a link to the story on their FB page.

[Edit]
Hah!  Found the edit function so if I want to make a change I don't look like I'm inflating my post count!

Okay.  They 'Liked' my link on their page.  3000+ people just had it posted to their FB page and have a link to the story of CoH & Disney
Who else can we get to link it?

Who here is FB friends with George Takei?
[/Edit]

Posted to the Colbert Nation FB page.

The Science and Swords FB just actively shared the link I posted on their page.  Another reminder sent out to 3,500+ possibly interested parties.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 07:34:11 PM by Roughtrade »

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 08:02:11 PM »
Posted to Colbert Report FB page.

Posted to SyFy Channel FB page.

And as long as I'm ringing every bell I can find...  Posted to GU Comics.  http://www.gucomics.com/comic/  The author is a big fan of MMOs and his cartoon revolves around all aspects of MMO and Gaming.  He has done several CoH comics in the past.

Going to ring Scott Kurtz's bell next.

Done.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 08:24:11 PM by Roughtrade »

RemoteController

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 04:35:31 PM »
Hey VV,

This post reminded me a great deal of Chris Hardwicks' plug for his Nerdist TV show on BBCA. I can't find a direct link to the exact commercial, but it was very much about coming together and sharing our passions that might be less than mainstream. I think he might be a sympathetic to our cause. His podcast, The Nerdist, is among the top ten on iTunes and he has launched several other projects including the television series, a few YouTube series, and a handful of other podcasts he produces from his website, also called The Nerdist. His company, Nerdist Industries, is also the digital publisher for Legendary Pictures which you may recall from their role in creating The Dark Knight and Inception among other films with Warner Brothers.

In summary, Chris Hardwick is someone who might be willing and able to help bring City of Heroes back, or at very least get the word out. One of his affiliated podcasts, The Indoor Kids, is all about video games and could be interested in talking to someone from Save CoH. Felicia Day's also might be willing to spread the word to her 2 million twitter followers. I understand she likes fantasy novels a great deal as well. 

Links:
http://www.nerdist.com/
https://mobile.twitter.com/nerdist
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nerdist_Podcast
http://www.bbcamerica.com/the-nerdist/about-the-show/