Author Topic: Observance  (Read 12804 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Observance
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 07:22:39 PM »
The event idea in champions can be good and bad.

Before it have been processed, I assumed, people thought about how they would have felt if WoW vanilla players held a WoW centric event in COX zones? If they are fine with it cool.

Now things to keep in mind. First and foremost, CO is not Champions and not everyone on champion liked or cared for COX. Even some ex-coxers players in CO may not be too keen on the whole movement thing, thus do not be overly sensitive and or condescending to those that may not partake or just don't get the purpose. That right there will sink the view of any movement in a game. Some people like to hold a family reunion in France then get there and start dissing everything about France and how their old reunion place that burned down is way better than France and etc. Don't do that. Well of course I cant demand that don't be done, but I can tell you and know that it wouldn't be good way to get the point across.

And don't be generally disruptive or make it obvious that the only reason many are there is to high jack the bandwidth of a game as an advertisement for this movement. That will cross the line in many people eyes.

And lastly don't forget respect. Respect that is demanded for the "right" to gather, respect those that may not want to be or see a point in it. Assume good faith. Some people that attend and do these movements in public get way too snappy too quickly and immediately view everything that is not praise as an attack.

Come to think of it, I think Captain Electric pulled one of these off not long ago. It was out of the way, didn't force it upon anyone in the zone or the chat channels, didn't diss people that chose not to attend to didn't see the point and didn't worry about NCSOFT. It can work, but overall just respect the fact that it's in another game and think how people would have reacted if WoW players bogarted COX servers, because they wanted to protest changes.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 09:38:27 PM »
OK, first, it doesn't matter if we play the game. In a F2P game like Champions, we can all make an account, make a character, run through the tutorial (which, granted, is annoying), and then we gather in some large venue where we can just hang out, maybe run around a little (there should be enough of us who do play and have some higher level characters to team with the visitors) and see what the place is like. Think of it as a reunion, rather than a gameplay session. Not everyone who goes to a reunion is there for the venue.

Second, who gives a flying touque about NC$oft. This is about us and our game and remembering what we've lost. Sure it's in a "public" place, but that's only so that we can get together in a way that is reminiscent of how we used to. And, we sure as hell aren't showing support for Cryptic or Champions (or the studio or game of wherever we decide to do it), because it's a one-time thing. Sure, their servers will show a spike, but it'll be over in a few hours, and everything will be back to normal. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad idea to hold rallies in some select MMOs, I'm just pointing out that it may be harder to organize on the same scale as anything remotely AP33 level.

And the reason I brought up the issue of many former CoH players not playing the games being discussed here is that not everyone is necessarily willing to spend 2+ hours creating an account, downloading installing and patching a game, followed by another 20 minutes to an hour to get out of the non-optional tutorials(something I greatly miss from CoH, the ability to skip the tutorial if you didn't want to go through it again...), just to play the game for 2-3 hours for a rally and never touch it again... Some people don't see a point in wasting all that time installing the game to only play it once, especially if they already know they don't like that kind of game. I knew people from my SG who outright refused to try DCUO because it was too much like a fighting/beat-em-up game... By picking such games, you're already limiting who's going to be able to attend, so that's why I think a "Twitter event" or something similar would have more effect.

On point 2, it's not really that we "care" about NCSoft or what they think about us. We know they don't care about us, that's why they kicked us to the curb like an old TV just because they have a new shiny plasma screen(Guild Wars 2, Blade and Soul, exc.). The point is that it's more about making a highly visible public statement, which is that we're still here, we're still not happy with NCSoft, and that we're just not going away no matter how much they wish we would.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 11:53:33 PM »
I also don't want you to think I'm opposed to the social media aspect.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 12:11:26 AM »
I'm definitely supportive of a Twitter campaign.

All we need are the right slogans and hash tags.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 01:38:07 AM »
#respawncoh
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Ellscry

• Minion
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 01:53:43 PM »
I apologize if I started something controversial. Some of my friends whom I played with and I have e-mails for were talking about getting together to catch up, and doing it on a free to play so we could all get together. The idea was to do it on the anniversary of the Unity Rally just because it is a significant date for us, but we never intended to be disruptive.

I took it upon myself to post this here, when I saw the topic, because I thought it would be nice if other people wanted to show up and talk about the old days.

I am pretty sure in the original scope of things, we would not be disruptive, but if a hundred people log in it may be. I am pretty sure we will do our best to not bother people though.

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 11:47:01 PM »
CO players are heroes, too. You have my support.
Spess

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2013, 03:39:57 AM »
with only three weeks to go, it would be hard to arrange much.

Three weeks is plenty of time! Heck, you could start a twitter campaign with three days to go. But that's only for Twitter. Something else would probably require more planning.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2013, 06:16:30 PM »
If memory serves, the Unity Rally came together in a matter of days. Many of us follow each other on Twitter. Shouldn't be hard. Hell, a couple of years ago, governments were toppled in matter of days, thanks in large part to Twitter.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2013, 10:46:21 PM »
I like Vyolet Roses' Superhero Mask. ;D
Think I'll cut that image out on card stock and wear it around the house.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 10:46:55 PM »
We need to add #ncsoft to all the twitter messages.  It's a legal way to be annoying.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2013, 02:45:07 AM »
I've been drinking, so I won't actually post what I'm thinking, but we could throw "#ncsoft" or, worse, "@ncsoft" into some REALLY inappropriate tweets. Like, stuff that would give Trey Parker grey hairs. Just sayin', we should still keep it clean. :)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2013, 04:30:45 AM »
I've been drinking, so I won't actually post what I'm thinking, but we could throw "#ncsoft" or, worse, "@ncsoft" into some REALLY inappropriate tweets. Like, stuff that would give Trey Parker grey hairs. Just sayin', we should still keep it clean. :)
yeah.

Remember the target of annoyance should be NCSOFT if that route is taken and not the reader.

Like protest against meat. One way to do it is to show that meat companies are vicious.. Another way to do it is to throw rotten meat at people. The first way, may intrigue people and might have people interested in the cause. The second method while most visible probably will turn off people from the cause and the message is lost.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2013, 06:15:30 PM »
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2013, 06:36:18 PM »
tweak

"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2013, 06:37:41 PM »
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 05:15:03 AM »
Buy their products?

I don't ever plan on ever TRYING their products!

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2013, 01:24:16 PM »
On board for whatever we decide to do.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2013, 09:43:29 PM »
If nothing else I fully plan to use ICON to fly around every major City Zone.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2013, 01:39:16 AM »
I'm still trying to get characters together for a pic xD So far I've gotten none other than my own. :/
I am the gun that rains judgement. I am the chill in the spine of evil doers. I am the flame that burns with justice. I am the teal angel that rises from death! I! AM! KAIT0!