Author Topic: New efforts! -- metadiscussion  (Read 82841 times)

Des_Tructive

• Lieutenant
  • SLAP!
    • Meta - Superhuman Covert Ops (german)
Re: New efforts! -- metadiscussion
« Reply #180 on: September 01, 2014, 02:49:23 PM »

Wouldn't it be the funniest if MWM and Cryptic (and even SCoRE) were all banding together to do this?   :P

That would be so thematically fitting that it'd make me tear up.

"All forces must join together to bring back the world we came from."
CoX: @DeS Tructive
TSW: BloodyCarrie; HrFaust; TheContact

Sihada

• Minion
« Reply #181 on: September 01, 2014, 03:52:28 PM »
Lego Universe had a bad revenue model from day 1. Its F2P setup was broken beyond measure.
LU was industry-standard $14.99/month at launch and wasn't able to turn a profit at that price point.  F2P was a hasty and poorly-implemented attempt to save the game.  It only hastened its demise.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #182 on: September 01, 2014, 03:58:56 PM »
LU was industry-standard $14.99/month at launch and wasn't able to turn a profit at that price point.  F2P was a hasty and poorly-implemented attempt to save the game.  It only hastened its demise.

I never played it at release, but in beta it's biggest problem was the truly dreadful chat interface.  It was so heavily censored that it was virtually impossible to actually talk to -anyone-.  Did they ever sort that out?  I have up during the beta because of it... I couldn't even report bugs on the forum because of the same censoring method...

Rubberlad

• Minion
« Reply #183 on: September 01, 2014, 04:28:37 PM »
You are missing everything that happened. The new folks aren't attempting to enter business with NCSoft - they may not have a choice to get the game. Ok, I will put it on you - NCSoft says you can't have the game if we can't have a profit share for 2 years. Then what?

Give them the 2-year profit share. Metrics showed the game could generate a tidy sum (bar prohibitive operating expenses for Paragon Studios working on that *other* IP). Two years profit for potentially ten more years of an independent CoH is worth it.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #184 on: September 01, 2014, 04:33:09 PM »

Wouldn't it be funny if it was someone(s) totally out of left field?  But as they say in the medical world, when you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras....

That's Occam's Razor and everyone should shave with it, not just doctors.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 04:41:26 PM by TheDevilYouKnow »
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #185 on: September 01, 2014, 04:35:55 PM »
At least you said "probably"...as there is no proof how they would handle canceling CoH since...they have never ran or sunset a game.

I have no way to trust MWM...they have no track record. It's easy to say "Bad bad gaming company" when they have ran and shut down numerous titles...but at least they have ran titles. I wished them well in their kickstarter, but did not donate...for the same reason...I will trust them when they have an actual product. Will/Would I sub to CoT...sure...once it's an actual thing and not a few story boards and what have you... It's all fine and dandy to be optimistic and cheerleader-like, but when it comes to CoH...I want an actual team who have ran an MMO before. I want a team who is in one central location that are working 8-10-12 hour days and not doing it as a hobby. I think what they are doing for CoT is great...and look forward to it, but when it comes to CoH...I want professionals who make the return of CoH their job....

Then how can you have the least trust in these new hypothetical buyers of CoX? You don't even know who they are.

Don't worry, even if MWM is not the business entity attempting to buy CoX, we who are supporting MWM's efforts will do all we can to make certain that YOU have "an actual thing" to subscribe to.

It strikes me that beggars cannot be too choosy..... but you're pretty darn choosy, and cynical into the bargain. "I only sub to games where the developers are working 8-12 hours a day! And they better all share the same break room too or no sub for you!!" Excuuuuuse me. LOL. Wow.

erich

• Minion
    • Art of War Gaming
« Reply #186 on: September 01, 2014, 04:36:27 PM »
In my opinion, COH was never "unprofitable". I just think it was a poor business decision on NCSoft's part. Who knows why? Perhaps they needed the hardware for the much hyped Guild Wars 2?

In any case, the "hardcore" fans of this game helped raise over half a million dollars to fund City of Titans. What does that say about "profitability"? We threw our money into a game that isn't even out yet. I would imagine that COH had no issues with "cash flow". 

Just my opinion on it.
Art of War Gaming
A friendly community of gamers

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #187 on: September 01, 2014, 04:40:53 PM »
I just want to say that I'm grateful that Ironwolf and TonyV and Codewalker have all posted what they have about getting the game back.

I was one of those who was devastated by the loss of the game and tried multiple others to replace it to no avail. New Efforts changed that. I realize that we might not get our game back today or ever but the last few months have given me something I desperately needed; hope and perspective.

The hope is obvious but the perspective needs a little explanation. Talking with all of you about the game and what was and might be gave me some closure with CoH. I still want it to come back, very badly, but I don't feel as bitter and as destroyed as I did before. Thinking about it doesn't depress me anymore.

I still miss it. I always will. But I feel like I can survive it now. So Thanks!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #188 on: September 01, 2014, 04:42:54 PM »
In my opinion, COH was never "unprofitable". I just think it was a poor business decision on NCSoft's part. Who knows why? Perhaps they needed the hardware for the much hyped Guild Wars 2?

In any case, the "hardcore" fans of this game helped raise over half a million dollars to fund City of Titans. What does that say about "profitability"? We threw our money into a game that isn't even out yet. I would imagine that COH had no issues with "cash flow". 

Just my opinion on it.

CoH was moderately profitable.  However, Paragon Studios were losing money all over the place thanks to the 2 secret projects they were working on.  With the merger with Exxon going ahead, you can guarantee that CoH was just a casualty of the new overlords wanting loss making studio's, gone.

erich

• Minion
    • Art of War Gaming
« Reply #189 on: September 01, 2014, 04:51:16 PM »
I'm honestly surprised after the fall of COH no one ever supported this game
http://www.projectawakened.com/

City of Titans got a lot of support, but no one seemed to support this project which I thought was sad cause it looked like it had A LOT of potential.
Art of War Gaming

tripthicket

• Lieutenant
« Reply #190 on: September 01, 2014, 05:05:27 PM »
It's been bandied about that, IF CoX is brought back, it would be in maintenance mode only. I'm fine with that, despite the outdated graphics and other "detriments." It's a game that, as it was when it was shut down, we all loved and many of us have had next to no success in finding another game that we could call home. Despite being only maintenance mode (if that turns out to be the case), I would still pony up the $15 monthly subscription fee to do my part in keeping the game alive. If we have to start from scratch, I would purchase all kinds of things: costume sets, power sets, character slots, etc.--even vet rewards if they were available. The important thing, the thing to hold dear above all others, is that we would have our game back.

If the game is brought back in maintenance mode, but the buyers announced they'd be working on new issues or even City of Heroes 2, I'd be willing to pay anywhere from $30 to $50 monthly subscription to support that. I know that many of us could not or would not do that, but I would still want to do everything I could to keep the game alive, even if my contributions amounted to nothing more than a drop in a very large bucket. This desire of mine doesn't make me somehow superior to those who don't match my efforts; I just wanted to express, perhaps in clumsy terms, how very much I want to go home and fly again.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #191 on: September 01, 2014, 05:07:09 PM »
CoH was moderately profitable.  However, Paragon Studios were losing money all over the place thanks to the 2 secret projects they were working on.  With the merger with Exxon going ahead, you can guarantee that CoH was just a casualty of the new overlords wanting loss making studio's, gone.

A merger with Exxon would have been from left field, Nexon ?

Number9

• Minion
« Reply #192 on: September 01, 2014, 05:15:06 PM »
It's been bandied about that, IF CoX is brought back, it would be in maintenance mode only. I'm fine with that, despite the outdated graphics and other "detriments." It's a game that, as it was when it was shut down, we all loved and many of us have had next to no success in finding another game that we could call home. Despite being only maintenance mode (if that turns out to be the case), I would still pony up the $15 monthly subscription fee to do my part in keeping the game alive. If we have to start from scratch, I would purchase all kinds of things: costume sets, power sets, character slots, etc.--even vet rewards if they were available. The important thing, the thing to hold dear above all others, is that we would have our game back.

If the game is brought back in maintenance mode, but the buyers announced they'd be working on new issues or even City of Heroes 2, I'd be willing to pay anywhere from $30 to $50 monthly subscription to support that. I know that many of us could not or would not do that, but I would still want to do everything I could to keep the game alive, even if my contributions amounted to nothing more than a drop in a very large bucket. This desire of mine doesn't make me somehow superior to those who don't match my efforts; I just wanted to express, perhaps in clumsy terms, how very much I want to go home and fly again.

Well you may be willing to pay as much, and some others probably as well, but Id rather see a more realistic sub price.  CoH would do better if it attracted returnees (not just die hard returnees) as well as new players - the best way to do that is give this well loved but undeniably old game a fair and attractive price.
Formerly of Virtue server: Number 9, StormBird, Magic8Ball, Fyv, and many others I care not to mention in the desperate hopes I get to recreate them and use their names once again.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #193 on: September 01, 2014, 05:15:19 PM »
I just want to say that I'm grateful that Ironwolf and TonyV and Codewalker have all posted what they have about getting the game back.

I was one of those who was devastated by the loss of the game and tried multiple others to replace it to no avail. New Efforts changed that. I realize that we might not get our game back today or ever but the last few months have given me something I desperately needed; hope and perspective.

The hope is obvious but the perspective needs a little explanation. Talking with all of you about the game and what was and might be gave me some closure with CoH. I still want it to come back, very badly, but I don't feel as bitter and as destroyed as I did before. Thinking about it doesn't depress me anymore.

I still miss it. I always will. But I feel like I can survive it now. So Thanks!
Hope is a real and necessary thing imo.   Losing hope would be as painful as losing the game if you ask me.    That's probably why pessimistic posts create tension.

erich

• Minion
    • Art of War Gaming
« Reply #194 on: September 01, 2014, 05:15:53 PM »
Hope is a real and necessary thing imo.   Losing hope would be as painful as losing the game if you ask me.    That's probably why pessimistic posts create tension.

Couldn't agree more!
Art of War Gaming

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #195 on: September 01, 2014, 05:22:47 PM »

That goddam Galaxy Girl typing debuff is STILL hitting me!

Sophronisba

• Lieutenant
« Reply #196 on: September 01, 2014, 05:22:57 PM »
If the game is brought back in maintenance mode, but the buyers announced they'd be working on new issues or even City of Heroes 2, I'd be willing to pay anywhere from $30 to $50 monthly subscription to support that. I know that many of us could not or would not do that, but I would still want to do everything I could to keep the game alive, even if my contributions amounted to nothing more than a drop in a very large bucket.

I would be willing to pay that much, but my husband....well, who needs to stay married anyway?

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #197 on: September 01, 2014, 05:44:09 PM »
Truth: I do not care if it is in "maintenance mode" or not. The game was a huge source of stress-relief to me, and I'll need that forever.

Its now 12:43 pm here in US CST, what on earth is going on.....

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #198 on: September 01, 2014, 05:45:52 PM »

Way to blow what i said WAY out of proportion.

I stated I want an ACTUAL studio not volunteers to helm the return of CoH.
I stated I did not support the kickstarter because I will wait until CoT is actually a game before giving money (In the form of a sub or whatever monetary system they have in place).
I'm not BEGGING for anything thank you very much. If CoH returns.. awesome. If CoH doesn't return...well there is always the future hope it will.

Am I cynical about MWM.. absolutely..as I think people should be. I'm not going to get my hopes up that people from all over the world are going to produce a game any time soon especially considering those people are doing it in their spare time. Cynicism is a healthy thing...your reaction and word twisting is not.

How can I have faith in an actual studio who has been involved in the actual launch of a game over a "studio" that hasn't uhm.... That's like asking how can I not want to hire someone to build my house who never has over an experienced contracting company that has built at least one house... easy...their experience.

I get it you like/support/are part of MWM... good for you. I'm not ANTI-MWM, but I am also not a fan...because they have produced nothing for me to be a fan of...plain and simple. I just fail to see the hype...when they have something more akin to an Alpha release...maybe then I will start being more hopeful.

Next time you want to reply to me..lose the hyperbole or I will just place you on ignore.... I don't mind discussing things, but at least make an attempt to not belittle me personally when doing so..or putting words in my mouth. Thanks.

Then how can you have the least trust in these new hypothetical buyers of CoX? You don't even know who they are.

Don't worry, even if MWM is not the business entity attempting to buy CoX, we who are supporting MWM's efforts will do all we can to make certain that YOU have "an actual thing" to subscribe to.

It strikes me that beggars cannot be too choosy..... but you're pretty darn choosy, and cynical into the bargain. "I only sub to games where the developers are working 8-12 hours a day! And they better all share the same break room too or no sub for you!!" Excuuuuuse me. LOL. Wow.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #199 on: September 01, 2014, 06:14:10 PM »

My god! They really DO want to run everything! That's the big announcement!? Exxon is the backer for Team Hail Mary!

(OK, fine. It's not, but I don't really expect to see anything until much later, if not tomorrow.)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."